Customer Discussions > video games discussion forum

The Official Amazon Football Thread - Second Leg

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 4126-4150 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 3 Jul 2012 17:39:05 BDT
Like I say Ryan it wasn't here that I was talking about as we do take all of them with a massive pinch of salt and there are no hysterics here.

Just generally talking about the masses, the Twitterati and Facebookers, then i'll get a friend or someone saying I see/hear your lot are trying to sign *insert name here* and I know that it is totally unfounded and has no more grounding in reality than my 'link' with Martinez earlier. It stems from the press to be fair and i'd imagine, aside from the stuff they just totally make up, they'll get some of their info from agents trying to drum up hype for their players and because they may eventually get 1 out of 100 names right for a club, they feel justified and make a big deal out of their 'exclusive story last week' and 'you heard it here first' bull-s...

Posted on 3 Jul 2012 18:33:35 BDT
Have to be honest I haven't seen that many reports of Liverpool transfers. Perhaps because i'm not always looking out for them. But in comparison to the usual big spenders it's not been particularly noticeable. However, Suarez to Juventus? Ah hahahaha. How are they still allowed to operate. Best rumour was RvP for £8m.

Sturridge is a doubt for the Olympics as he's showing symptoms of meningitis.

Posted on 3 Jul 2012 18:59:11 BDT
Last edited by the author on 3 Jul 2012 18:59:28 BDT
WOOP WOOP

Posted on 3 Jul 2012 19:00:09 BDT
RAB says:
Nuno Gomes has completed his move to Blackburn, Newcastle look to be about to sign Douglas for £5m.

On the United front, Berba's still in Fergies plans and will join the club on Tour (we've just added another match at Hannover too). Antonio Valencia's been given the number seven, and deservedly-so in my opinion. Nick Powell's wearing 25 and Kagawa 26.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Jul 2012 19:01:12 BDT
RAB says:
???

Posted on 3 Jul 2012 19:37:09 BDT
RAB says:
Pogba's officially gone to Juventus..... :(

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Jul 2012 20:30:21 BDT
Fergie said it exactly right! No one is bigger than United so good riddance. Fryers needs to sort himself out as well by the sounds of it!

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Jul 2012 20:36:54 BDT
RAB says:
*Nobody's bigger than United except Fergie.

Really hope Fryers took his appearances ahead of Fabio last season as a sign he has a future at the club, although bringing Baines in won't fill him with confidence unless we offload Evra....

Nick Powell > Pogba. FACT.

Posted on 3 Jul 2012 20:45:22 BDT
Mike E says:
If Pogba feels he will progress better at Juventus rather than working his way through the reserves at Man Utd then good luck to him, will be interesting to see how he does, seems like a player worth being shot of though

Posted on 3 Jul 2012 21:06:45 BDT
RAB says:
Don't see how he thinks he'll get straight into the Juve side though.

Posted on 4 Jul 2012 07:40:15 BDT
RAB says:
Morning bumders. Speculation is not yet rampant so I don't know why I'm posting yet but I hope you all have a swell day.

Oh wait, actually, IT'S ORIGIN 3 TONIGHT! Series is locked at 1-1, it's in Queensland, but this is the first time in years that New South Wales have looked capable of winning it. Queensland have won six series on the trot, we've nicked the odd game off them over the years but they've been lucky wins. This year we should have won the first match, blew them away in the second and from the looks of it, actually kept a settled squad so I reckon we can do it. Plus their star full-back is injured, although Queensland are like the Spain of rugby league, they play the best footy (better than Australia I reckon) and they've got incredible strength in depth.

It's also England v Exiles 2 tonight, although the Exiles have lost a load of players so I don't think it'll be a great match.

Posted on 4 Jul 2012 07:46:40 BDT
RAB says:
SPECULATION!

Andre Villas-Boas will be given a £100million war chest as he begins his Tottenham revolution.

Liverpool striker Andy Carroll is wanted by AC Milan's transfer guru. (Dafuq? That's even better than 8m for RVP)

Nani wants his Manchester United future sorted out in the next fortnight.

Asamoah Gyan will finally quit Sunderland for the United Arab Emirates in a £7million switch.

Dimitar Berbatov is prepared to see out the last year of his Manchester United contract - rather than take a pay cut at another club.

Everton manager David Moyes is considering making a move for out-of-contract former Wigan striker Hugo Rodallega.

Napoli are eyeing Liverpool defender Martin Skrtel after banking £24million from Ezequiel Lavezzi's move to Paris Saint-Germain.

Posted on 4 Jul 2012 08:45:58 BDT
Last edited by the author on 4 Jul 2012 08:46:26 BDT
Alternative Rumours Time!:

AC Milan are interested in signing Liverpool striker Andy Carroll. Pier Silvio Berlusconi, the son of Milan owner Silvio Berlusconi, has been acting as a transfer consultant for the Italian club and has identified Carroll as a potential signing.

Everton are keen on signing Oscar Cardozo after Benfica put a £16m price tag on the striker. Fenerbahce, Galatasaray, PSG and an unnamed Premier League side are also tracking the Paraguayan, 29.

Tottenham are ready to back new manager Andre Villas-Boas in the transfer market to the tune of £50m this summer. The Portuguese is keen to bring Marseille striker Loic Remy, Ajax and Belgium defender Jan Vertonghen, Hoffenheim midfielder Gylfi Sigurdsson, CSKA Moscow and Russia midfielder Alan Dzagoev and Birmingham keeper Jack Butland to White Hart Lane.

Villas-Boas wants to launch his reign as Tottenham manager by signing Brazilian attacking midfielder Oscar from Internacional. The 20-year-old is priced in the £20m bracket by his club.
Andre Villas-Boas

Villas-Boas could be set for a big summer spending spree with Spurs

Sunderland, Stoke and Fulham are all interested in Wolves' Steven Fletcher, but the Midlands club have warned any suitor will have to pay £10m to sign the striker.

Everton boss David Moyes is considering making a move for out-of-contract former Wigan striker Hugo Rodallega, 26.

Italian side Napoli are looking to push ahead with a move for Chelsea midfielder Raul Meireles after seeking talks with the player's agent.

Chelsea are closing in on a £6m deal for Inter Milan full-back Maicon, 30, with the Brazilian's agent due in London later this week for talks.

Manchester United and Chelsea are set to be in a tug of war for Belgium midfielder Axel Witsel this summer, after Benfica revealed that they are ready to cash-in on his talents.

Malaga and Galatasary want Arsenal's Nicklas Bendtner as the Denmark international closes in on a move away from the Emirates Stadium. Bendtner's agent Jesper Lynghus told Denmark newspaper bold.dk last month: "The interest is overwhelming, just as it should be after the way Nicklas performed at Euro 2012."

Asamoah Gyan will finally leave Sunderland in a £7m move to United Arab Emirates side Al-Ain.

Aston Villa manager Paul Lambert wants to sign Rennes' £2.5m-rated midfielder Yacine Brahmi, 22.

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has broken his silence over the future of captain Robin van Persie by vowing to keep the striker "at all costs". The two men are expected to talk over the phone this week as Van Persie continues to stall on a new three-year deal worth £130,000-per-week.
Robin van Persie (left) and Arsene Wenger (right)

Van Persie and Wenger are expected to discuss the striker's future next week

The Arsenal boss has also turned down the opportunity to coach the French national team following Laurent Blanc's resignation.

Manager Brendan Rodgers is optimistic about persuading Luis Suarez to sign an extended deal with Liverpool despite rumours over the striker's future. Rodgers has insisted Suarez, whose contract expires in 2016, is happy at Anfield despite speculation the 25-year-old could be moving to Serie A champions Juventus.

Incoming manager Gianfranco Zola could face a player backlash at Watford following the the sacking of Sean Dyche.

Former Chelsea striker Nicolas Anelka has been involved in an ugly confrontation with an irate Shanghai Shenhua fan, who questioned the Frenchman's poor performance and refusal to perform a traditional end-of-match bow.

Posted on 4 Jul 2012 09:10:57 BDT
RAB says:
Everton have signed Steven Naismith.

Coventry look to be about to sign John Fleck.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Jul 2012 09:26:52 BDT
BALLYSEAGAL says:
Naismith a good wee striker i just hope his knee injury doesn't flair up again

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Jul 2012 09:35:34 BDT
RAB says:
He's got previous with Jelavic too provided they keep hold of him this season. Everton are being linked with some decent players at the moment, if they bring a few of them in I can see them actually starting a season in August for once. Although that Cardozo rumour is stretching it slightly.

Posted on 4 Jul 2012 10:09:13 BDT
Last edited by the author on 4 Jul 2012 11:42:13 BDT
RAB says:
England are up to fourth in the FIFA rankings and there's been the predictable outrage. Seriously, we must be the only country in the world that moans when we go up.

My take on it is that while we're nowhere near the best sides on the continent, we don't actually lose that many games, especially in normal time, added to the fact that the points co-efficient deely is taken over a five-year period or something, it's not exactly as random as people make out. Not that it particularly means anything apart from seeding for qualifying and tournament groups, and if we keep being seeded that's only gonna be a good thing right?

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Jul 2012 10:18:37 BDT
Yeah gald we are getting another full back (well hopefully) and a centre midfielder, A CB seems strange but maybe taylor is still unfit?

Oh well if this guy De Jong is good its more competition for places aint it?

Newcastle would be made up with the same position finish as last year at the end of the day. Vhelsea will be better this year, but I dont think spurs will be as strong, sorry Spurs fans but I dont rate AVB to do much in year 1.

Liverpool, well I like Rodgers I do, but I think the team are so bad it will take him 2-3 years to get them back to CL football. and also playing his style of football. Hope the scousers give him time to change things.

Predictions based on current signings made (Who knows what will haopen between now and August)

Man City
Man Utd
Chelsea
Arsenal
Newcastle > (Maybe shift these round)
Spurs <
Liverpool

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Jul 2012 10:23:49 BDT
LOL really up to forth? Who's the top 10?

I read a story a few years back that Mexico were near the top because they had about 20 friendlies a year against not so good teams which got them lots of wins.

Posted on 4 Jul 2012 10:28:21 BDT
Morning fellas.

Read a nice refereshing interview with Sid Lowe and Xabi Alonso this morning, what a guy...

How does Spain's 4-0 victory against Italy in Sunday's final compare with the great teams and the great finals? How does it compare to Brazil in 1958? Brazil in 1970? Xabi Alonso: Bloody hell! I don't know. I don't remember them. I wasn't even born, so how can I compare them? They're different eras. But I am sure that this final will go down in history.
No team has scored four goals in the final of the European Championship before and no team has ever won a major final by a margin so great. Was it the perfect game? XA: Close. No one expected a game with this scoreline. We controlled the match. It's close to being the perfect game.
For many it felt like a necessary game too, one that not only closed a unique cycle, of Euros-World Cup-Euros, but closed the debate too. Amid the criticism and accusation, the final felt like the kind of performance Spain needed. XA: No, no, no. We were secure and calm, confident in what we were doing, confident that we were doing things the right way. I thought a lot of [the criticism] was demagogic. I laughed at a lot of what I read.
You read it? Footballers always say they don't read the papers XA: No, I read things. I read things, but I don't change my mind because of them. I am very clear in my own mind. I knew what was being written in 'X' country or the other country. I laughed a lot. A lot.
Was this a tournament at which winning was an obligation? XA: No, no. Not for us.
It felt like it. XA: No, no, not at all. We had to produce a great European Championship if we were going to win it, and I think we have done that. We have only conceded one goal, we have shown that we are a very, very competitive team and ... people say lots of things but, well ... after the final, lots of people will think: 'Ooh, why did I write that?', don't you think?
So, did the criticism hurt? XA: No, it didn't hurt me at all. I took it philosophically because I know that writing is very easy.
Hey, don't say that ... XA: It's easy to have an opinion, I mean! Writing is not easy, but having an opinion is! I have an opinion too. Writing is not my thing, playing football is my thing. And I know how difficult it is. I don't share the majority of the things that were written about us.
Things like: 'Spain are boring'? XA: Among other things ...
Do we fail to appreciate how difficult it is? XA: Yes, I think so. I think we played well against Portugal but it was difficult to beat them. The goal didn't go in. That's not the same as the final when we went in at half time 2-0 up and that changes things. You have a greater sensation of control. People don't appreciate how hard it is to win games and to impose yourself on teams the way that we do. We have reached a very good level. And every game is hard to win. It was hard against Croatia and against Portugal. And against Italy, in principle, it was going to be the same. But we played so well that it might not have looked that way.
Yet the Spanish players did seem very relaxed XA: Relaxed? We trusted in ourselves but we also had to give everything, we had to be focused, have competitive tension. It's not that we won just like that, lying back on a [sun] lounger: we put a lot into it. Mentally we are confident and because we know each other so well we do lots of things automatically. It is vital that you have things that you know how to do; that you know what to do without having to make a huge mental effort. We have created that now and that is a huge advantage that we have over other teams.
A philosophy, in other words? An idea? What's the difference between 2008 and now, for example? XA: The substance, the base, is the same. Then there are nuances, small differences. In 2008 we played with two strikers more. Now, with Del Bosque, we play with more midfielders. But the substance, the nucleus, is very similar. The idea and philosophy is the same.
There are good players coming through who play a similar way and have a similar attitude. And the current team still has life left in it. Spain are going to be the best for a long time, aren't they? There are only three players in the current squad over 30: Xavi, Iker Casillas and you. XA: Are you trying to get me to retire already, haha? I don't know how many will continue in the future but if we can keep this going, then who knows? Because of our age, it's logical to assume that there will still be a good team, but that's not the same as saying that it will win what we have won; it's not the same as saying it will win another tournament. It's very hard to do what we have done. We have to keep alive the hunger and desire, too.
Is that hard? XA: It's difficult but we've done it. After the World Cup you say: the Euros is a great challenge, but ... And we have managed to win the title again. We've managed to control games, win the competition and that's a great symptom for the future. There are two years now before the World Cup and we'll see. The thing is, however good the team is, repeating those three trophies in a row again is very, very hard. We've achieved something unique. It will take a long time for us to realise and appreciate properly what we have done, but what this group has achieved is historic.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Jul 2012 10:34:18 BDT
RAB says:
Spain
Germany
Uruguay
England
Portugal
Italy
Netherlands
Croatia
Denmark

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Jul 2012 10:35:19 BDT
Haha LFC are nowhere near as bad as you make out. While I don't expect to reach 4th after finishing 6-8 in the last 3 years, we're not far off. The trouble is it is extremely difficult to finish in the top 4 these days when the teams above you are Utd, City, Chelsea, Arsenal & Spurs you have a lot of work to do. However, i'm enjoying your Geordie delusions of grandeur though so keep it up, obviously living up here I have many Geordie friends and some are similar to you and get all excited and over the top when they see some improvement, which there has only been one season of by the way. But your expectations rise to the point of comepeting for CL based on that lol. One of the guys at work constantly used to go fro "we'll get relegated this season" to "we may be able to get into Europe". It won't be long before you are shouting for the head of Ashley again when things don't keep improving season on season. I fully expect NUFC to be around 8-10 this season and LFC will be around 4-6 unlikely to be 4th though, so 5th or 6th, when that happens i'll be back to ask you where you got your predictions from ;)

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Jul 2012 10:38:16 BDT
Seriously?

I'm not hot on international games outside of the home nations but, no Barzil, no Argentina?

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Jul 2012 10:45:16 BDT
RAB says:
I agree, Liverpool have the makings of a good side, they just need to take their chances a bit. Don't think Spurs will make the top four, that'll be United, City, Arsenal and Chelsea (in that order), but I can see them and Livepool being in and around that battle. Newcastle got quite lucky in picking up a few bargains last season but now they're being a bit more ambitious without wanting to spend the extra. With Everton, Villa, Stoke and a few others strengthening that mid-table battle's gonna be good and Newcastle will be embroiled with that, especially with a Europa League campaign added into it.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Jul 2012 10:46:13 BDT
I'm sorry but England getting ranked 4th in the World is beyond a joke.....the guy on BBC who text in saying who is 5th? Narnia? Summed it up perfectly.
Discussion locked

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  59
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  19 Apr 2012
Latest post:  29 Oct 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions