Customer Discussions > video games discussion forum

The 'Metal Gear Solid' Thread - Moderated By 'The Patriots'

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 376-400 of 2951 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 12 Jun 2012 22:31:00 BDT
Matthew says:
Yeah dunno why that happened.

Anyway noticed MGS Collection on the Vita doesnt include Peace Walker, how come? Lack of space?

Posted on 12 Jun 2012 22:34:53 BDT
Balli says:
I think because you can play the PSP version? I don't know though.

Posted on 12 Jun 2012 23:15:47 BDT
Solar Fox says:
'Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker' is not included in the Vita version of the HD Collection, because there are security restrictions on the Vita that stops game saves on MGS PW. It was originally a PSP game and so the problem stems from that format apparently.

Posted on 12 Jun 2012 23:37:52 BDT
Last edited by the author on 13 Jun 2012 00:15:19 BDT
Solar Fox says:
There has also been talk that the Vita version of MGS HD Collection is a misleading title with PW and MGS1 missing from it. Even though MGS1 wasn't on the PlayStation 3/360 version, the lack of PW seems to have perpetuated the issue with the Vita version, in terms of the title 'Collection'.

Posted on 14 Jun 2012 20:53:57 BDT
Solar Fox says:
With Metal Gear's Splendid Vita Version, I Finally `Get' Portable Console Gaming

By Kirk Hamilton

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater is a true gaming classic, held up by many as not just the best game in the Metal Gear series, but one of the best games ever made, period.

In just the past six months, I've had several different opportunities to finally play the game. There was the PS3 version, and then there was the Nintendo 3DS version. And yet for a number of reasons, I never really got into either one. Now, the game has come to the PlayStation Vita, and I've found the best way to play it.

Not just on the Vita, but on the Vita and the PS3. The era of 'Transfarring' has finally arrived.

For starters, because it bears mention: The Vita version of the Metal Gear HD Collection is terrific. It includes both Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater and Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty, as well as the extras that were included with both games.

Both games look smashing on the Vita's OLED screen; MGS3 in particular looks even sharper than it does on the PS3, though the framerate isn't quite as smooth. The touch-screen is used mainly to flip through the left and right inventory screens, which is a surprisingly welcome addition.

But the feature that I find myself most surprised to be enjoying is the ability to transfer my saved games between my Vita and my PS3. This way, I can play through a bit of the game on the go, come home, and boot the game up on the big screen to play some more. Once I finish, I can re-sync the saves, and my Vita version will be able to pick up where I left off.

It's a feature that Sony has been touting for some time now; in fact, the concept of taking your PS3 games on go with you was central to the first big Vita ad campaign. But I never really "got it" until I did it. This is actually really cool!

Posted on 14 Jun 2012 20:58:42 BDT
Last edited by the author on 14 Jun 2012 20:59:53 BDT
Solar Fox says:
When it comes down to it, I'm not going to be able to invest the amount of couch-time that a classic game like Metal Gear 3 requires. I do all of my retro gaming on handhelds-my 3DS and Vita have both become vessels for lengthy classic JRPGs that I'd never play on my TV.

But with that said, Metal Gear 3 really does benefit from a big screen-Hideo Kojima's intense and often beautiful cinematic cutscenes look fantastic on my television, and despite the Vita's great controls, it feels even better to play the game with the traditional PS3 controller.

The ability to transfer between console and Vita is much more welcome than I would have expected. Of course, there are a number of flaws inherent to the system. For example:

In order to take advantage of this, you have to own both the PS3 and the Vita-as far as I know, it doesn't work with the 360 version.

In order to take advantage of this, you need to own both the PS3 and the Vita versions of the game.

This will only work with games that can run in their unadulterated form on Vita, which might limit it to vintage games and HD re-releases. Huge games like, say, Dark Souls wouldn't be able to do something similar, because they won't run on the Vita.

The syncing process is tied to Konami's Transfarring setup, and doesn't happen automatically, so it's a bit of a pain. This is nowhere near as easy to use as, say, Apple's cloud-syncs.

So, this whole thing is more of a proof-of-concept than a practice that's workable for your average consumer. But all the same, with Metal Gear HD Collection on the Vita, I finally understand what Sony is going for with this whole "console gaming on the go" thing. We're still at an uncomfortable place in terms of hardware and software compatibility, and the audience of people who own a PS3, a Vita, and both copies of a game is small.

But as companies figure this stuff out, the appeal of taking mobile games on the go with me, making progress, then syncing my saves to the version on my TV is much more appealing in practice than it was in theory.

And really, the best news of all is that it like I'm finally going to finish Metal Gear Solid 3. Now I'll finally see this "The End" character everyone's always talking about.

By Kirk Hamilton

Posted on 16 Jun 2012 17:11:58 BDT
Solar Fox says:
"A Super-Spy Intro Worthy of Solid Snake

Since I had not played Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater until recently, I had also not seen its introductory credits sequence and accompanying movie.

How? I ask you. How had I not seen this?

This song, performed by Cynthia Harrell, was a classic almost from the moment the game was released. When the song plays in the game itself, that's when MGS3 really "begins," as far as I'm concerned.

Can we please get more Bond-style, stylish-to-the-point-of-funny introductions for games? Can more games have epic torch-songs during their opening credits? Enough with the low-key credits sequences. Give me a good theme song, man!"

Another reason to check out 'Metal Gear Solid 3' HD. Although the HD version isn't 'Snake Eater' as mentioned from our man from 'Kotaku'. It's the much improved 'Subsistence' version of MGS3.

Posted on 16 Jun 2012 17:31:04 BDT
Solar Fox says:
Metal Gear Solid 3: Secret Unlockable.

Maintenance Uniform

When you go back to Graznyj Grad for the second time, you can find a maintenance crew uniform in the locker room where you hid the Major earlier. It is in one of the lockers against the wall of windows that look into the lobby of the building. This suit is especially useful when you have to plant the C3 charges in the hanger. Just do not get too close to anyone or they will recognize that you are not a crew member.

Posted on 16 Jun 2012 17:33:08 BDT
Last edited by the author on 16 Jun 2012 17:35:08 BDT
Solar Fox says:
MGS3 Unlockables:

Boss Camo

Defeat certain bosses by lowering their stamina to zero using the tranquillizer. This unlocks special camos that give you specific abiilites.

Animals

Beat Ocelot

Cold War

Beat Volgin

Fire

Beat The Fury

Hornet Stripe

Beat The Pain

Moss

Hold up The End

Snake

Beat The Boss

Spider

Beat The Fear

Posted on 16 Jun 2012 18:06:49 BDT
Solar Fox says:
As a note to the 'Snake Eater' song from MGS3, I would say that all the music or score from the MGS series, has always suited the game in all it's story telling and combat situations.

After so many playthroughs of MGS2 for instance, I am yet to be irritated by it's music and score. It replays in my head quite pleasantly. The orchestral writing and performing binds so well with the modern percussion and really adds to the aural ambience to the MGS games.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jun 2012 22:29:22 BDT
"When you go back to Graznyj Grad for the second time, you can find a maintenance crew uniform in the locker room"

I found and used this on my first play - I thought you were meant to find it as I kept going into that big room and getting rumbled - so I searched the lockers and voila - maintenance man!

Posted on 18 Jun 2012 01:37:24 BDT
Solar Fox says:
I can't think what uniform this is Robson. You get the scientist disguise way before the lab infiltration objective. The Major's uniform is obtained before the torture scene. I may have to play through MGS3 again to find out. Tbh I haven't a clue if i've obtained this or not. It's meant to be a secret uniform unlockable.

Posted on 18 Jun 2012 12:23:35 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 18 Jun 2012 16:07:16 BDT]

Posted on 18 Jun 2012 12:56:42 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 18 Jun 2012 16:05:35 BDT]

Posted on 21 Jun 2012 20:12:18 BDT
Last edited by the author on 21 Jun 2012 20:15:33 BDT
DaveOz says:
Come back, Grayfox! I miss reading your MGS updates. No need to take it personally, this is the interwebs where stuff like this happens!

However I still do stick to my argument that Snake's animations have remained largely the same over the years (Ps1 onwards) apart from some tweaks here or there. Come back and prove me wrong!

Posted on 21 Jun 2012 20:14:06 BDT
Nessy says:
Snake is calling you Fox ! -

http://images.eurogamer.net/2012/articles//a/1/4/9/3/7/5/7/360_001.png

Posted on 21 Jun 2012 22:10:46 BDT
Balli says:
"However I still do stick to my argument that Snake's animations have remained largely the same over the years (Ps1 onwards) apart from some tweaks here or there. Come back and prove me wrong!"

You don't need him for that...no way are they the same! :D MGS2 was motion captured for a start and MGS wasn't. In MGS4 you could walk while you crouch, so that's new. MGS4 was in general different to the rest. Even between MGS2 and 3 there were loads more animations.

It's ok Fox...he can't hear you anyway ;)

Posted on 22 Jun 2012 06:57:41 BDT
DaveOz says:
I said 'largely the same'. They're aren't verbatim. The range of movement (e.g. when he kicks someone) is still poor even in MGS4 despite adding new ones like the crawl.

God, this is like February all over again...

Posted on 23 Jun 2012 00:17:07 BDT
Balli says:
Range of movement is not animations...I don't know how much more movement you could give him? Short of being a completely different character. Some slow-mo CQC would be great, but it should have some sort of effect on his Psyche Gauge, just so you can't go using it all the time ;)

Oh yeah, Fox (because I know you're there :D), there weren't Trained Killer Scorpions in MG, they were just scorpions :D They were Trained Killer Scorpions in the NES version...which doesn't count in the slightest...didn't even have Metal Gear! :D

Red hot trivia like that will bring him back ;)

Posted on 23 Jun 2012 11:27:52 BDT
Last edited by the author on 23 Jun 2012 11:45:21 BDT
Solar Fox says:
"Come back, Grayfox! I miss reading your MGS updates."

"Snake is calling you Fox ! -"

"Red hot trivia like that will bring him back ;)"

Hey lads, it's nice to know. I thought this thread would die peacefully on this forum, you guys want to keep it alive then? I've been to other forums of late, for my 'obsessive' MGS chat. I will update this thread as and when i can on here. Balli's knowledge on the MGS story seems to be far superior to everybody else's on other forums btw. ;)

"The range of movement (e.g. when he kicks someone) is still poor even in MGS4 despite adding new ones like the crawl."

It's very rare that i kick in MGS4. I'm too busy using CQC to take the soldiers out. Range? I'm not sure what you mean exactly though DG. You will have to elaberate. I remember you saying you get slight lag on your console before though DG. Would it be related to that? Snake's actions have always seemed quite smooth to me, albeit, quite slow. I don't actually know how many fps MGS4 runs at. With 720p visuals, i would have thought it would be running at 60fps, but then it probably doesn't need to being a sneaking, stealth game. More likely 30fps? I'm sure Nessy will know.

Posted on 23 Jun 2012 11:48:40 BDT
Solar Fox says:
PSLS News PlayStation Vita PSN / PlayStation Network Review

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection Review (Vita)

06/20/2012 Written by Paulmichael Contreras

Metal Gear Solid. This is one series of video games that hardly needs an introduction. It's heralded by many as the pinnacle of the last generation of consoles, and with good reason. But these games are getting on in their ages - MGS 2 was released in 2001, and MGS 3 was released in 2004. However, as we found out with the PS3 collection in our review, Kojima's PS2 entries easily stand the test of time when given the remastered treatment. Now that we have a super-powered handheld in the form of the Vita, how does its port fair? Find out in our review.

In the Metal Gear Solid HD Collection on the Vita, you get Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3, along with the original MSX versions of Metal Gear 1 and 2. Conspicuously absent from this collection are the first Metal Gear Solid and Peace Walker. While the first MGS was not included in the console versions of MGSHDC, Peace Walker was. This is especially perplexing considering that Peace Walker was a PlayStation Portable title. Konami's apparent excuse for excluding this title as explained on an episode of the Kojima Productions Podcast was that because the game is already available for the PSP on the PSN store, and the Vita can upscale said game with great results, they felt that a remaster was not needed.

Even if that is the case, then why not include a voucher to download Peace Walker when you buy this collection? If you've never bought Peace Walker before and want to play all that the console version has to offer, you have to pony up the $30 for the game and pray that you will be able to copy the game over to your Vita. So you've now paid the same $40 price for the Vita game ($35 if you bought the digital download) and $30 for the PSP version of Peace Walker. What at first seems like a simple omission is quickly shown to be a huge disservice to paying customers.

With our pricing qualms out of the way, let's get to the meat of this collection - the games! Both Metal Gear Solid games look astounding on the Vita's bright OLED display. MGS 3′s jungle setting comes to life, and those damn snakes and alligators never startled you more than on the Vita, up-close, in your face, and shuffling around making you think a person is coming up behind you. MGS 2, meanwhile, looks equally amazing. Perhaps more so, in fact, considering this game originally came out in 2001, with its re-release Substance releasing just a year later. Both of these games have aged amazingly well, and you could show this game as an example of great on-the-go gaming for the Vita.

There's even some innovative use of the Vita's technologies to make up for its lack of a few console buttons. For example, using the right side of the Vita's touchscreen to zoom in and out when using binoculars, or using the lower-left and lower-right portions of the screen in place of the L2 and R2 buttons in order to select equipment and weapons. Once you hold your finger over either icon, the game pauses and you simply slide your finger up and down to select an item or weapon. You can read its description in the center of the screen before lifting your finger to equip that item and continue playing. Quickly tapping the icons toggles the item, much like tapping the corresponding buttons in the console versions performs the same action. It is pretty natural feeling, and this is definitely a method of L2 and R2 substitution I would love to see in other games.

The impeccable audio work that you rely on in the Metal Gear Solid series is here and alive in the HD Collection. It's actually very impressive how much detail Armature Studio managed to get out of the Vita. Even playing using the speakers, some sound effects actually appear to originate behind you! The effect is much more appreciated via a good pair of headphones or earbuds, naturally, but either way you can't go wrong listening to either wonderful game.

For good measure, the original Metal Gear games on the MSX and MSX 2 are included as well, available from the main menu. These play identically to their original games from the late '80s and early '90s, with all the chiptunes you can handle. It really goes to show you just how far we've come in terms of presentation. In terms of story, however, there is a lot to be had even in these humble 8-bit stealth games.

Ultimately, the incredible amount of fun and content to be had within Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3 outweighs a lot of this package's negatives. But the lack of Peace Walker is such a glaring omission, it really cannot be dismissed all that easily. If a download voucher for the PSP version had been included, that would have eased the pain a lot. With the Vita's second analog stick, that game could have been a most-welcome addition to the HD Collection. But when you aren't even given that option, this feels almost like a different product altogether - something Amazon appears to agree with me on, as the Vita version of the Metal Gear Solid HD Collection has a separate page rather than just appearing as a different version. Having said that, this is the best Metal Gear Solid experience you can have on the go, and fans who are looking for their Solid/Naked Snake/Big Boss fix need look no further.

PlayStation LifeStyle's Final Score

+ Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3 are here in all their upgraded glory!

+ Nice usage of the Vita's features in place of extra buttons.

- Omission of Peace Walker is perplexing, less bang-for-buck than console ports.

8/10

Posted on 23 Jun 2012 11:52:43 BDT
Solar Fox says:
PSLS Developer HOT News PS3 / PlayStation 3

Kojima Confirms Metal Gear Solid 5, Says Kojima Productions Has "Not Yet Finished" With Solid Snake

06/20/2012 Written by Nick Michetti

Hideo Kojima has confirmed Metal Gear Solid 5 and also has made an interesting comment about the future of Solid Snake in the franchise.

Gematsu (via Gamekyo & Google Translate) reports that in the 20th issue of French video game magazine IG, Hideo Kojima confirmed MGS5`s development and that the game is powered by FOX Engine (which has been confirmed to be running on PS3, Xbox 360, and "current PCs"):

There will be a Metal Gear Solid 5 with the new FOX Engine. But what we've shown was not gameplay, or anything like that. It was only a demo that we had developed internally and released because the lighting and interactions with the environment had fooled everyone.

Kojima also mentioned that the next MGS title has taken some inspiration from critically acclaimed Square Enix/Eidos title, Deus Ex: Human Revolution:

About Metal Gear Solid 5, I can tell you two things. There will be much question of infiltration, espionage, and convincing people to give you "a favor" like in the last Metal Gear Solid. I liked the idea of ​​social interactions in Deus Ex: Human Revolution, but we will see. And if I say more, the female ninja public relations officer, who is behind the door, I will be carved up into pieces. So it's better that we meet again when the time comes to talk about Metal Gear Solid 5.

Finally, Kojima has claimed that Kojima Productions is "not yet finished" with Solid Snake in a comment about Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance:

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance never claimed to be a Metal Gear Solid. This is not a game about our beloved Solid Snake. It is a spinoff that tries something different. We have not yet finished with Solid Snake, despite the fact that I wanted to let him die at the end of Guns of the Patriots.

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots was originally supposed to be Snake's "last mission" in the MGS series. MGS4 was the last new home console installment of MGS, but the most recent entry in the series was Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker for PSP.

Posted on 23 Jun 2012 12:53:25 BDT
Last edited by the author on 23 Jun 2012 13:06:03 BDT
DaveOz says:
"Range of movement is not animations..."

Are his movements not realised through animations? He moves rubbish! I won't hear anything to the contrary! Stop tormenting me. I jest. Not about the animations. That still stands.

Posted on 23 Jun 2012 16:58:30 BDT
Solar Fox says:
MGS4 game specs seem to be 720p with 30fps. Although some say 60fps at 720p and 30fps upscaled to 1080p. No concrete sources though, apart from the definition which is definitely 720p HD native.

I need to have a look at Snake's kicks you mention about in MGS4. Didn't you say you had lag on button responses on your PS3 though DG? Possibly to do with your upscaling? I'm not expert on these things.

Posted on 23 Jun 2012 19:30:47 BDT
Balli says:
"We have not yet finished with Solid Snake, despite the fact that I wanted to let him die at the end of Guns of the Patriots."

Tread carefully, Hideo! Tread very carefully!

The gap between MGS1 and MGS2.

Keep saying it :D He could follow it up with the actually Raiden back story. Not too much technology in that time period, which would mean it's more likely to have some purist stealth ;)
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  59
Total posts:  2951
Initial post:  12 May 2012
Latest post:  26 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions