Customer Discussions > video games discussion forum

It's The Fighting Game Thread!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 351-375 of 718 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 21 Sep 2013 20:48:16 BDT
I tried out the beta for Ridge Racer Driftopia, and it fully embraces the pay-to-win side of F2P. I wouldn't be surprised if it was like the Legendary Souls mode in SC5 TBH. Make it extremely difficult to tempt people into paying for microtransactions in order to make progress. I highly doubt it'll just be for cosmetic items.

After the Driftopia beta, I have no interest in Namco's experiments with the F2P model.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Sep 2013 08:59:42 BDT
Last edited by the author on 23 Sep 2013 09:15:18 BDT
It's a fine line between pay to win and accelerated pogress - but to be honest I am not convinced by free to play fight games so far. I would prefer some sort of Hybrid where you can pay smaller amounts for smaller parts of the game but retain the ability to simply buy and play the full game if you want (Killer Instict on Xbone is doing this). I don't care about cosmetic stuff in terms of paid DLC - Soul Calibur works fine for me so far in it's DLC policy with tons of cosmetic optional stuff.

Killer Instict will be interesting as they have said that there will be a rotation of free to play characters each with full practice modes and tutorial and complete online - but you can also pay £35 for the full game day one (though that is only 8 characters - 6 at launch and 2 DLC). They are calling this launch package Season One with a further 8 character (and a further £35 if you are so inclined) season 2 planned. On the one hand it is a £70 16 character fighter, on the other you could spend £12 and have four chosen characters at your disposal?

Shame I won't be getting an XB1 straight away - but I would have to get a new fight stick in any case to play this and there will limited choice of those anyway. 3rd Party fight sticks will work on PS4 - shame there is no fight games at launch!

EDIT: Note that character only packs (no costumes or extra's are cheaper with KI - so on that basis £16 a season - on of the extra's for the £35 season 1 though is a emulation of the original KI!).

Posted on 25 Sep 2013 16:56:08 BDT
The PS+ version of Street Fighter X Tekken also gets you the extra characters for the PS3 version. Might actually have to give the game a try now I also get the extra characters that should been there in the first place for free ;).

Posted on 26 Sep 2013 10:23:51 BDT
Last edited by the author on 26 Sep 2013 10:33:41 BDT
Beck says:
Hey all, thought I would add myself into this rare FGC thread..

I play on PS3 (think my tag is - 'Beck___'), current games I play..
* Main one - SFxT (picked up again since Feb patch made it much better). Really wish they added a instant rematch option to online matches!
* Really enjoy UMVC3, but not played in a few months.
* Played quite a bit of Injustice (Superman), but got tired of the hatemail/whining, so pretty much gave up on it. Although patch coming in few days will add instant rematch option to online games, so is tempting to pick up again.
* I havent played SF4 in years, but was really into it for awhile. I played SF2 in arcades so have a connection to it that wont ever go away.

Im dissappointed that none of these titles have an update coming to PS4, not sure what Im going to do. I have it pre-ordered for launch, but wont be any fighters for awhile. I think only announced one is a Blazblue one, or something of that elk. I think the reality of it is that I will still be playing plenty of PS3 (SFxT) whilst my PS4 gathers dust! :-O

I'm also dissapointed that Killer Instinct is XBONE exclusive, Im really interested in that game, but will never get to play, unless GAME have it on in the shop.

How is everyone else feeling about next gen?

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Sep 2013 10:27:35 BDT
"Beck says:
test "

It worked...

Hi Beck

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Sep 2013 10:34:18 BDT
Last edited by the author on 26 Sep 2013 10:50:44 BDT
Beck says:
Damn your quickness! Hey!
(I have edited my 'test' post by the way)

Posted on 26 Sep 2013 11:07:11 BDT
I'm not one to talk about these kind of games, my experience is limited to Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale, before that Tobal No.1

I just pop in to see what new beat'em up Robson is shouting about each week. The latest has been DiveKick which is a basic figheter with two buttons (dive & kick.....).

Although now SFxT is free on PS+ i have asked for a little tutorial when he gets a chance.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Sep 2013 11:24:54 BDT
Beck says:
I think its only the vita version thats free on PS+, could be wrong though.

SFxT plays pretty much like standard street fighter games (i.e. SF4), but they have added more mechanics in, mainly around your tag team, but also some Tekken stuff like Juggles etc.

If you have played any SF game in past, you should be good to go as a beginner, then learn the new mechanics and build up your skill. Its quite daunting at first, but dont worry about using everything the game has, just go into training mode and play around.

Posted on 26 Sep 2013 11:54:07 BDT
I'll probably do my usual and find an easy combo and just spam it for the match.

Posted on 26 Sep 2013 12:14:13 BDT
Hi Beck - I will send you a PS3 add bud.

Kotaku were reporting a leaked listing of Injustice GOTY on PS4 but other than that only the next Guilty Gear game is announced. I reckon Ultra SFIV will find its way on too.

SF x T has a few mechanics designed to make it a bit more welcoming to the beginner than SFIV, though arguably there is more to remember if you want to use it all (pandora mode, super arts, cross arts...) It is great for friendly fights though so hopefully Si we can get a few of those in.

Posted on 4 Oct 2013 19:35:05 BDT
Injustice: Gods Among Us is £20 (£15 with PS+ discount) on the PSN Store until Wednesday 9th October. Very tempted, but I think I'd better off waiting for the GOTY edition, especially with the number of DLC characters available for the game (and their total cost).

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Oct 2013 23:11:19 BDT
Not sure when you are going next gen but there are strong rumours of a GOTY ed of injustice coming to ps4 and xbone - so maybe worth holding out at this stage. Great game that I have underplayed to date.

Posted on 6 Oct 2013 14:31:21 BDT
I won't be getting another console any time soon. But I'm sure the GOTY edition was leaked for PS3 and 360 as well.

Posted on 6 Oct 2013 15:44:29 BDT
Zombie says:
is it jus me or no 1 plays dead or alive 5 ultimate on ps3 online coz is empty or am i doin sumfin rong

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Oct 2013 18:52:56 BDT
I find games pretty easily on Vita which has cross play with ultimate - there is no trick but I generally avoid ranked lobbies.

Posted on 6 Oct 2013 19:19:02 BDT
I bought it... I wish I had some self control :(. It'll probably end up being announced the GOTY edition is coming out this coming Friday knowing my luck :P.

Posted on 7 Oct 2013 14:47:46 BDT
Yay Yay and Thrice Yay - Injustice GAU confirmed for the Vita on the 29th Nov - it is an Ultimate ed so will include all DLC to date gratis - wow - a reason to look forward to the 29th Nov at last!

Posted on 7 Oct 2013 16:04:09 BDT
offer on PSN at the moment for £15 to PS+ (£20 non PS+) only until the 9th October

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Oct 2013 11:57:19 BDT
Beck says:
Also on PS4! Will have a fighter to play from day1, thank god.

Posted on 31 Oct 2013 21:44:43 GMT
Soul Calibur 2 HD has a release date - Nov 20th - and a price - £14.99 on PSN (possible Plus discount initially) and £13.49 on Xbox360.

Posted on 31 Oct 2013 21:53:22 GMT
Saw that earlier - a bit on the pricey side :(. I may give it a miss if there's no Plus discount. was hoping for it to be priced around the £10-12 mark.

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Oct 2013 22:18:53 GMT
Have you seen the fights they have been posting? Mitziguri and Nightmare look great - very fast and nimble. I am sold on this one.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Nov 2013 07:28:42 GMT
Yeah I've seen a few of the gameplay clips - still looks great fun to play. But the price really is higher than I was hoping for (and to rub salt into the wound it costs more on PSN). If there's no Plus discount on release, I will wait for it to go on sale.

Posted on 1 Nov 2013 10:03:25 GMT
I suspect that there will be 10% PS+ discount bringing it to the Xbox price - I know what you mean though - £9.99 would have been more ball park. I will check trusted reviews before buying at any price to make sure that the content is there.

Posted on 5 Nov 2013 09:38:06 GMT
Robson - SC2HD Online is available to preorder on PSN for £11.99. Tempting...

https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-gb/games/soulcaliburii-hd-online/cid=EP0700-NPEB01828_00-SC2HDONLINEGAME1
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the video games discussion forum

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  41
Total posts:  718
Initial post:  31 Dec 2012
Latest post:  26 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions