Customer Discussions > video games discussion forum

The Boxing and Ufc Discussion Thread

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 251-275 of 929 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 22 Jun 2013 15:02:28 BDT
Blastronaut says:
Dennis Andries! Man, I'd forgotten all about that old war-horse. The guy used to constantly amaze me; really minimal boxing skills, but more heart than Valentines Day!
Due to one-thing-or-another, my memory is really FUBAR, but I still have vague memories of Andries awkwardly walking through more skillful fighters, throwing those huge clumsy punches of his, and eventually winning by sheer effort.
When I mention his (lack of) skills, I really don't wanna be dissing the guy; many times I'll have been sat in front of the tele, cheering him on. Big respect to you Dennis, wherever you are now.

Y'know Liq? Ya seem to have this habit of digging up fighters from yesteryear that I'd forgot about! Good stuff!

Posted on 22 Jun 2013 18:21:54 BDT
Andries was certainly given a major lesson in his painfully one-sided defeat by Hearns in Detroit, but how well he learned from it. Instead of becoming disheartened and drifting out of the game, as many would have, he remained in the motor city, walked into the Kronk gym a few days later and asked Emanuel Steward to make him as good a fighter as he could possibly become. A little over a year later, he scored a major upset victory over Bobby Czyz and then went on to become a further two time WBC light-heavyweight champion. Boxing film biopics are pretty much the exclusive preserve of American fighters but if there is one British pugilist who deserves to have a film made about him, I would say Andries is that man.

Posted on 24 Jun 2013 10:54:20 BDT
I think it high time that these incompetent so called judges, who are blatantly unfit to hold their posts, are named and shamed on any and every boxing-related broadcast, publication and chat forum. Obviously the latter of these outlets is the least effective in terms of impact and consequence, but the process has to start somewhere so...

TOM MILLER
Scored Saturday's main event 115-113 in favour of Malignaggi!
The only way this clown should ever be allowed anywhere near a boxing ring again is if he has purchased a ticket. 'Qualified judge'?. You've gotta be ******* joking!

Posted on 24 Jun 2013 11:11:06 BDT
Last edited by the author on 24 Jun 2013 11:11:37 BDT
Morning

I had Broner by 1 or two at the weekend, though it was a weird event all round. For some reason i was sat there thing that the Mitchell vs Banks fight was fixed and then i had the same feeling for the main event. It just seemed like i was watching a couple of sparring sessions with the odd crowd pleasing shot. Broner and Banks were holding back i am sure of it. As for the Bika fight, what a mess, let's hope Groves or Degale get a shot at the belt.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Jun 2013 11:11:14 BDT
Bozz says:
Didnt watch the fight but from the reaction on twitter it could have been scored pretty close due to Paulies workrate?

Posted on 24 Jun 2013 11:13:01 BDT
Sorry wrote in the wrong name. Paulie's punches are not powerful but he still put in a lot of work and Broner only fought in bursts. He looked world class when he did though.

Posted on 24 Jun 2013 11:15:06 BDT
MintFox says:
Didn't see it either but the majority of articles I've read on it have said that Broner won it although Paulie has nothing to be ashamed of with his performance.

Also interesting to read that Broner says he will fight whoever his fans want him to fight then Showtime tweet three possible opponents next. Not really Freedom of Choice for the fans is it?

Personally I'd love to see him against Khan, all that speed V's a quality counter puncher sounds like a dream ticket.

Posted on 24 Jun 2013 11:18:44 BDT
Broner vs Maidana for me would like to see him in there with a tough gritty puncher who throws a lot of shots

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Jun 2013 11:24:42 BDT
Last edited by the author on 24 Jun 2013 11:25:49 BDT
MintFox says:
I think thats what it will be, it's the logical fight.

Also got quoted in a tweet from Alex Arthur on Friday which made my weekend! How sad am I?

Can add him as the list along with Lennox Lewis and Sugar Ray Lennord now.

Posted on 24 Jun 2013 11:35:33 BDT
Bozz says:
Broner v Matthese for me

Posted on 24 Jun 2013 11:35:44 BDT
Some good stuff on this weekend, three cards in total, Rees vs Crolla, Macklin vs Golovkin and Vassell vs Gavin

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Jun 2013 12:40:32 BDT
Trouble is Bozz, about eighty percent of what Malignaggi threw landed on either Broner's arms or gloves. Good defence is a key aspect of 'the noble art' and should count for more than just number of punches thrown.
The highly experienced Tom Schreck scored it 117-111 Broner. Exactly how I had it. The four rounds that Malignaggi won were the ones in which Broner just coasted and effectively gifted him. I guess with it being in New York, it was fairly inevitable that one judge had to do the hometown guy a favour, but that in no way makes it right of course.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Jun 2013 12:48:35 BDT
Particularly looking forward to that last one RAMPAGE. If Gavin turns up with his (to steal a phrase from the late great Sid Waddell) sloppyhead on, Vassell has the tools to teach him a harsh lesson.
Macklin will just come up short again I think. Rees should be too strong allround for Crolla but there are question marks against the Welshman in terms of A) motivation and B) whether he has taken this fight too soon after the comprehensive beating he suffered at Broner's hands.

Posted on 24 Jun 2013 13:42:53 BDT
IMO Vassell is underrated, i have picked him to beat Gavin. As for Macklin, i reckon he is in some deep waters Saturday, Golovkin is a beast and i can see him being a big star in the near future

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Jun 2013 13:51:12 BDT
Last edited by the author on 24 Jun 2013 13:51:29 BDT
MintFox says:
Golovkin will be looking to send a message to the world against Macklin I think. He will want to make light work of him and look better doing it than Martínez did.

What's going on with Andy Lee does anybody know? It's all went quiet since his homecoming show on the Frampton undercard.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Jun 2013 13:59:09 BDT
Bozz says:
Andy Lee fought a couple of weeks back in the US I think, won comfortably in a few rounds but dont think his opponent was up to much.

Not seen much of Golovkin, but like what I have seen. I think Martinez is on the wane now and Golovkin looks to be the best Middleweight around.

Posted on 24 Jun 2013 14:42:39 BDT
I think Khan actually did a better job of dealing with Malignaggi's pesky swarming style than Broner did. However, if the two of them were to fight any time soon, I think 'the problem' would exploit that all too suspect defence and make short work of Amir.
Broner versus either Matthyse or Maidana would be terrific. Remembering how good Danny Garcia vs Zab Judah was, Broner versus Garcia may be even better (debatable of course). All three would rank firmly in the 'fights that simply sell themselves' category.

I was impressed with Andy Lee's recent appearances on Bunce's Boxing Hour and as an expert summariser on one of their live cards. I would say he has a future in this field when he is done fighting, albeit that is some way off yet I would hope.

Posted on 25 Jun 2013 10:05:01 BDT
Bozz says:
Anthony Ogogo has also been added to the Hull card for July 13th. Looking to be a good night.

Posted on 26 Jun 2013 14:00:27 BDT
Bozz says:
Frank Warren has signed a deal with Frank Maloney and Ricky Hatton to show their fighters on Box nation. Its also going HD this year (About time), and Mayweather v Alvarez is on too.

Need to sort out a sub for BN, everytime I try they have problems with my card for some reason, their system doesnt accept my card number as a valid number.

Posted on 26 Jun 2013 14:06:08 BDT
Wow great news, nice one Bozz.

Posted on 26 Jun 2013 14:09:04 BDT
Fantastic news about Floyd vs Canelo. Can't say I am altogether surprised as Showtime needed to secure a guaranteed revenue from a major overseas market following the heavy loss they made on Mayweather/Guerrero.

Posted on 26 Jun 2013 14:09:30 BDT
Bozz says:
They have also said they will work together on fights, so expect to see fights like Price v Chisora and Murray v Saunders been made soon.

Posted on 26 Jun 2013 14:14:09 BDT
I'm chuffed to bits with BN, i didn't think the channel would last that long but time and again they have surprised me with the quality fights the show. £2.50 is great value for money. Never been a massive Warren fan but can't fault him with this announcement, great for British Boxing.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Jun 2013 14:20:17 BDT
Bozz says:
I know about 6 months ago it didnt look good for Warren and BN, they were showing big losses for the year, Fast Car Eddie was nicking a few fighters and shows having to be cancelled / re-arranged. It looks as though he is turning it round a bit now though.

Posted on 26 Jun 2013 14:21:21 BDT
Who else is in Hatton's stable, i'm not to sure tbh.
‹ Previous 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 38 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the video games discussion forum

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  18
Total posts:  929
Initial post:  24 Jan 2013
Latest post:  10 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions