Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 2601-2625 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on 16 Aug 2014 14:54:37 BDT
Bring back Moyes!

Posted on 16 Aug 2014 16:33:20 BDT
They were very ordinary against Swans

Posted on 16 Aug 2014 16:48:01 BDT
Ness says:
Did he really abandon his revolutionary 3-5-2 formation after 45 mins of the EPL lol ?...

Posted on 16 Aug 2014 17:11:55 BDT
Mike E says:
1-0 down at 89 mins and we won 2-1 woooooo

Didn't play well but grabbed 2 late goals which is good. Team is still gelling so we should improve. Now onto Accrington this Tuesday

Posted on 16 Aug 2014 17:33:02 BDT
RAB says:
Wasn't the best performance but at the same time we didn't do much wrong. Controlled the game well, just lacked the cutting edge and fell asleep for the goals.

Thought it was a big gamble to have Lingard at right wing back, Januzaj was much better. Blackett had a decent enough debut though. Hernandez doesn't really offer anything in this system, I think he's on his way out soonish.

Swansea defended well and had much more pace on the counter, that's why they won.

Posted on 16 Aug 2014 18:09:23 BDT
Last edited by the author on 16 Aug 2014 18:16:25 BDT
Prankster says:
Why does Wenger infuriate all the Arsenal fans by starting Sanogo over Giroud, I will never understand! :(

Posted on 16 Aug 2014 18:33:36 BDT
Mike E says:
Slightly concerning today was a gentleman who I haven't seen before who was seated just across the aisle from us in the next block. For the 85 minutes he saw of the game he criticised everything and seemed to really dislike the 2 youth products in Goldson and Woods. On the topic of Goldson, he led the team very well today as captain.

Said gentleman left the match early so missed the 2 goals. What a shame. I am worried that he might be turning up near us regularly as he will drive me crazy over the course of the season

Posted on 16 Aug 2014 23:04:49 BDT
Bad news for Everton fans:

Everton boss Roberto Martinez says midfielder Ross Barkley could be out for up to five months with a knee injury.

The 20-year-old suffered medial ligament damage in training on Friday.

The England international had a scan and Martinez, speaking after Saturday's 2-2 draw at Leicester, said he could be out for "anything from seven weeks to four or five months".

"With the swelling we don't really know how bad the injury is," he added.

"He had a scan but it was a bit difficult to determine the extent."

A long-term injury could rule him out of England's Euro 2016 qualifiers against San Marino and Estonia in October.

Posted on 17 Aug 2014 11:29:57 BDT
So first day done, shock of the day was ManU losing at home again. Roll on 2 games today. Newcastle have 2-3 players injured right now as well so.... I think City will be too strong for us

Posted on 17 Aug 2014 19:12:49 BDT
Oh well Newcastle really did not play too badly today, but we were beaten by a better team. I still think we need a CB and a striker bit our new players will get better the more they play together.

Also Southampton did well against Liverpool today.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Aug 2014 19:49:49 BDT
Prankster says:
Yeah if Southampton play like this, I am not worried about them. I don't think they will finish in the top 10 but I doubt they will be relegated. There's still some quality in that team.

Posted on 17 Aug 2014 20:06:11 BDT
RAB says:
I thought Newcastle were the better team up until Aguero's goal. The new signings look good.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Aug 2014 06:21:52 BDT
Thiago Motta gets head butted in the tunnel.
https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/early-doors/ban-him-life-outrage-star-breaks-thiago-motta-074020717.html

Football mascots need to up their game.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/28820918

Your day's rumours:-

Manchester United are preparing a £100m package to bring Real Madrid winger Angel Di Maria, 26, to Old Trafford, which would cover the Argentina international's £50m transfer fee and wages. (No-one cares any more. Mid-table fodder. A back 3 of Blackett, Jones and Smalling wouldn't look amiss at West Brom)

Southampton manager Ronald Koeman wants to make Lazio midfielder Alvaro Gonzalez, 29, his eighth signing of the summer and is preparing an £8m offer for the Uruguay international. (Southampton airport must have seen more ins and outs than Dave has in his private video collection)

Manchester United have reignited their interest in Roma's Dutch midfielder Kevin Strootman, 28, with Juventus confident they will hold onto 27-year-old Chile midfielder Arturo Vidal. (BOOOOORRRRRIIINNGG)

Spurs are willing to listen to offers for Lewis Holtby, who they signed from Schalke for £1.5m in January 2013, as QPR and Crystal Palace line up moves for the 23-year-old midfielder. (Poor Lewis, don't really see what he's done wrong. Modern haircut, scores a few, named after an inactive insect..)

Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool are on alert after Paris St-Germain's contract talks with their 29-year-old Argentine winger Ezequiel Lavezzi broke down. (In no way is this an agent-created story to help contract negotiations)

Marseille midfielder Morgan Amalfitano, 29, is eager to secure a move to West Ham United following a training ground bust-up with Les Phoceens coach Marcelo Bielsa. (Who in earth would be 'Eager' to play for Fat Sam?

Napoli appear to have beaten Swansea City to the signature of Dutch midfielder Jonathan de Guzman, 26, who has spent the last two seasons on loan at the Liberty Stadium from Villarreal. (No loyalty in football any more. Burn him on the stake)

Tottenham are ready to reject a £10m offer from Southampton for 23-year-old England winger Andros Townsend, who is also attracting interest from QPR. (Why on earth would Townsend choose QPR over Southampton?)

Barcelona manager Luis Enrique says he is still in the market for new signings despite spending £115m on five players, including £75m on Luis Suarez, 27, this summer. (He'll need a new forward for when Suarez inevitably gets his next ban)

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers, 41, received a text message from Suarez wishing him and his former Reds team-mates luck ahead of their opening-day win over Southampton. (Gets 2500 free texts a month, so not particularly generous. In actual fact it was even worse than that, it was a group whats app message using his gran's wi-fi.)

Former Tottenham manager Tim Sherwood, 45, has emerged as a leading candidate to replace Tony Pulis at Crystal Palace after a favourable interview. (I wonder whether he wore a Crystal Palace gilet to the interview or whether it was Steve Parrish's love of light coloured male locks that got Sherwood the job)

Manchester City striker Edin Dzeko, 28, has been offered a new five-year deal by manager Manuel Pellegrini, which is set to be signed this week. (Don't care)

QPR, who lost 1-0 to Hull City on their return to the Premier League, will have to learn hard lessons if they are to survive in the top flight, says Hoops midfielder Joey Barton, 31. (He was surprisingly erudite on Sky Sports yesterday, although he did misuse two words. Can't recall what they were though.)

Brazil forward Neymar, 22, who scored four goals in five games at the 2014 World Cup, will not be a true footballing star until he wins the tournament, says Brazil coach Dunga. (Makes perfect sense. Neymar can't be talked about in the glowing terms of other World Cup winners such as Kleberson)

Everton manager Roberto Martinez is eager to take the pressure off the club's £28m record signing Romelu Lukaku, 21, who failed to score in the opening day 2-2 draw with Leicester City. (Anyone noticed that in a Samsonesque fall from grace, Lukaku has become a bit rubbish since his Predator hair was lobbed off?

Senegal striker Demba Ba, 29, who left Chelsea to join Besiktas in the summer, insists he only struggled at Stamford Bridge because manager Jose Mourinho picked players on reputation rather than performance. (Ba, Humbug)

Posted on 18 Aug 2014 07:43:59 BDT
RAB says:
Apparently Sporting want Nani on loan as part of the Rojo deal. If I was van Gaal I'd be taking him to the airport myself, I'm guessing Sporting still see the Nani they managed to fleece us for £20-odd million for?

Hopefully this is tied up quickly, not because he's the top of the list defenders-wise, but simply because anyone would be better than Smalling at the moment, and I suppose you have to have something about you if you've played for Argentina in a World Cup Final.

Dunno why Daley Blind's not been signed yet either, seems like Woodward's had his finger over the buy button since Friday.

Posted on 18 Aug 2014 09:51:50 BDT
Last edited by the author on 18 Aug 2014 09:52:06 BDT
So very poor turnout for predictions!!

Very poor, 10 people and one of them brand new.

Oh well, maybe some folks are on Holiday?

I'll do scores tomorrow after Chelsea game, but so far Phil is in the lead with 9 Points

So still plenty of chance to catch up for those who never started, there's a game tonight with 3 points available?

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Aug 2014 09:55:54 BDT
RAB says:
Who's missing from last season Cam? Name and shame I say.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Aug 2014 10:05:08 BDT
Jamie, Mark, Aamod, Frederick, and a few others

Posted on 18 Aug 2014 10:13:41 BDT
Prankster says:
I'm out for predictions this year. I'm afraid I focus more on the result than enjoy a game of football. Similar to what happened with fantasy league haha.

Posted on 18 Aug 2014 10:16:04 BDT
RAB says:
"I'm out for predictions this year. I'm afraid I focus more on the result than enjoy a game of football. Similar to what happened with fantasy league haha."

I had a similar thing happen to me. A few years ago I found myself wildly cheering a Steven Gerrard goal and from that day on I vowed to never pick a Liverpool or City player for my fantasy team.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Aug 2014 10:31:50 BDT
Fair enough mate, it's not a neccessity just a daft wee game, so that's cool

I have a title under my belt now, so no one can ever take that away from me.

Only myself and Mick have known such club glory, and of course our inaugral World Cup Winner.

One day, when you are lying in your bed, many years from now, wou7ld you be willing to trade all the days from this day to that, for one chance, Just one chance, to tell your grandchildren, they can take your house, but they'll never take your Amazon predictions title!!!!

Posted on 18 Aug 2014 10:32:43 BDT
I'm going to be moving from my current position to a position without readily available internet access, so didn't want to be involved for a 3rd of the time.

:( Sorry guys

Posted on 18 Aug 2014 10:33:33 BDT
RAB says:
Good god we've been linked with Phillipe Mexes now.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Aug 2014 11:07:11 BDT
Last edited by the author on 18 Aug 2014 11:10:46 BDT
He's pish......No seriously and he is far too old.

We said UTD needed 6 players, things started well with 2 very quick signings, but what's going on now, what is the hold up, Manutd seriously need another 3-4 players in the next 2 weeks.

Vidal feels like another Cesc so no doubt next year Vidal will join Chelsea within the first week of the window opening for no problems at all. I think you seriously have to look at Woodward now, It's not LVG job to sign the players, but then it was not Moyes and he suffered the fate last year for no new signings.

Seriously though, Souness commented that you just have no fear in the tunnel/dressing room looking at that Manu team.

De Gea (Decent)

Jones(Average), Smalling (Below average), Blackett ( who?)
Fletcher(out of practice), Herrera (Needs time to settle and make name)
Mata (Probably the most feared player on the UTD team)
Young (Ha ha ), Janusayeeeee (Still a kid, unproven)
Rooney (best player on the park even though a little rusty with distribution)

Yep they have Shaw and RVP and Evans to come back, but seriously, this is not a team capable of challenging for the top 4 IMO, unless one of the others has a real nightmare season.

All the other 4 have stronger squads, hell Spurs and Everton are not far off UTD either.

A Few weeks ago we were talking about Hummels (World Class) and Vidal (WC) and Di Maria (WC)

Now we are talking Rojo, Benatia, Mexes, Cuadrado????

Is Woodward scared to spend big money, they should have blown Juventus away to get Vidal, Hummels would be allowed to go for a big enough fee also, they missed out on Garay, could have bid for James or Kroos, could have bid for Reus, Khedira etc.

There really is no excuse, now even if Ryan's dreams come true and we see Vidal, Di Maria and both Benatia and Rojo come in, it's going to take time for them to settle, they should have been bought the second LVG started, deals all ready to go.

Anyway, it's still bloomin hilarious to see those fans holding their heads in their hands and shaking them on a Saturday at OT as they lose again, but for the World's richest club (Income wise) should they not have a decent CEO to run the thing, I mean we all knew and all the pundits knew what they needed, so Woodward and LVG must have known also?

Remember the late deal for Fellaini last year? Panic buys happen when you leave it too late.

On the other hand let's look elsewhere

We know Arsenal's needs, but they still have a stronger squad than UTD, I mean Arsenal have more class in CM than UTD do in the whole team.

City never needed much, but have strengthened again as have Chelsea and Liverpool have filled out their squad with some quality lads as well.

Saints looked good against Liverpool as did some of their new signings, so all hope is not lost there.

Villa's youngsters looked a bit more mature and composed, Leicester were not phased at all by Everton and I hope they have a good start.

Sunderland and West Brom both looked fairly average and boring IMO

Newcastle looked ok and we just needed a cutting edge, Cabella looks a player once he adapts, Janmaat was good at RB, Colback was playing or the shirt and giving 100%, Sissoko looks better deeper, Riviere needs time but looks capable and we still have De Jong to come back as well, so we have real competition for places in CM, even if we sell Tiote which looks likely as he never played on Sunday, but maybe he was injured I think? Good to see Taylor not play as it would have been another 4-0, now sell him and buy a CB to challenge for a starting spot. WE also need more cover up front, so let's get a striker in please and we are good to go.

One problem is Obertan, he came on as a sub........why can Pardew not see what everyone else who watches football can see, this guy cannot play football at pretty much any level, sell him please, I just wnat him and Taylor gone and Id even take no replacements just to see them go bye bye

Posted on 18 Aug 2014 11:43:16 BDT
RAB says:
I agree, Mexes is complete rubbish. I'll be disappointed if he comes in because he'd only be a squad player and Blackett can fill that role quite well in my opinion.

The ship has long since sailed on Vidal now, it's Sneijder all over again, he would have been perfect for us but it's too late to sign him now when we clearly need a centre-back to come in and take over from Smalling. The di Maria chase is making me laugh, fans are commenting on all the stories saying "no! £100m is too much!" without reading that it's £50m for the fee and around £50m for the wage package, which is exactly what it's going to take to lure him here and exactly what we need. Our big problem on Saturday was a lack of pace and creativity, we controlled possession fairly well, just didn't do anything with it. Di Maria will add that, him on the right and Januzaj on the left, with Rooney, RVP and Mata will see us look very dangerous in my opinion.

When Evans is back fit he'll be a leader in that back three and get us organised a bit better, although Fletcher should be doing that at the minute anyway. Our problem was we played mainly attacking midfielders who've filled in as wingers to get into the team as wing backs, which they weren't suited to and left the defenders exposed. Lingard's a talented prospect, but he needs to be operating in the middle, or as a wide forward, not a wingback. Januzaj did better but he's still not defensively minded.

The biggest problem is Ed Woodward though. Mouthing off about how we can afford to pay a record fee for a player has only led to the clubs who need to cash in on their stars raising their prices. What I don't understand is why we were seemingly willing to pay over the odds for Moyes targets right at the start of the window but won't now spend the money on the players we so clearly need.

Once a couple players get back and we adapt more to the 3-5-2 system we'll get better though.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Aug 2014 11:50:27 BDT
Yeah you will get better, but top 4 better? For me it's all or nothing now with this transfer window because of you fail to get top 4 again. Things will get worse. The rest of is live in hope lol
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  56
Total posts:  5117
Initial post:  24 Apr 2014
Latest post:  19 hours ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions