Customer Discussions > video games discussion forum

EDGE: The next Xbox: Always online, no second-hand games, 50GB Blu-ray and new kinect.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 328 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 6 Feb 2013 13:01:57 GMT
Nessy says:
"Microsoft's next console will require an Internet connection in order to function, ruling out a second-hand game market for the platform. A new iteration of Xbox Live will be an integral part of Microsoft's next console, while improved Kinect hardware will also ship alongside the unit.

Sources with first-hand experience of Microsoft's next generation console have told us that although the next Xbox will be absolutely committed to online functionality, games will still be made available to purchase in physical form. Next Xbox games will be manufactured on 50GB-capacity Blu-ray discs, Microsoft having conceded defeat to Sony following its ill-fated backing of the HD-DVD format. It is believed that games purchased on disc will ship with activation codes, and will have no value beyond the initial user.

Our source has also confirmed that the next Xbox's recently rumoured specs are entirely accurate. That means an AMD eight-core x64 1.6GHz CPU, a D3D11.x 800MHz graphics solution and 8GB of DDR3 RAM. As of now, the console's hard drive capacity is said to be undecided, but Microsoft's extended commitment to online delivery suggests that it will be the largest unit it has put inside a console to date.

Though the architectures of the next-gen Xbox and PlayStation both resemble that of PCs, several development sources have told us that Sony's solution is preferable when it comes to leveraging power. Studios working with the next-gen Xbox are currently being forced to work with only approved development libraries, while Sony is encouraging coders to get closer to the metal of its box. Furthermore, the operating system overhead of Microsoft's next console is more oppressive than Sony's equivalent, giving the PlayStation-badged unit another advantage.

Unlike Nintendo, Microsoft is continuing to invest heavily in motion-control interfaces, and a new, more reliably responsive Kinect will also ship alongside the next Xbox. Sony's next-generation console camera system is said to have a similar set of features, and is expected to be discussed at the company's PlayStation event on February 20.

You can read more about how Sony's next generation console compares in last week's story, PlayStation 4 revealed."

So going on rumours the next Xbox is weaker than PS4, harder to develop for, requires an online connection to work, blocks second hand games, is heavily media focused and ships with Kinect.

Who else is out if this is true ?.

Posted on 6 Feb 2013 13:04:39 GMT
Last edited by the author on 6 Feb 2013 13:05:52 GMT
MintFox says:
Most interesting bit of that for me is the no more pre owned. All the other stuff wont matter to hardcore xboxers who have there friends list, gamerscores and all the other bells and whistles that make them feel invested in microsoft. If sony do allow you to play pre owned that might be a bit of a coo for them attracting new customers.

Posted on 6 Feb 2013 13:05:43 GMT
Well I was only going to go ps4 anyways, as I always have gone for sony. But i'm sure for anyone who was on the fence, this will help make the decision easier?
Online only is ridiculous, So if my modem randomly shuts down and has to reconnect, i'll be booted off?

Posted on 6 Feb 2013 13:06:07 GMT
MF says:
Please sony -- dont go this way ,, please !

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Feb 2013 13:07:40 GMT
And yes the lack of preowned, if true, will be a massive bonus to the ps4 (if they don't go down the same route) as I trade a lot of games in after i'm done with them.

Posted on 6 Feb 2013 13:10:08 GMT
Last edited by the author on 6 Feb 2013 13:11:32 GMT
MF says:
If sony did go down this route , I wouldnt progress beyond the ps3

Posted on 6 Feb 2013 13:10:33 GMT
Crixus says:
I'm not making any decisions or even suggesting who I'll be backing until the consoles are out, for me everything is still so far speculation. Although I'm a huge fan of xbox over PS this generation, once they have been both out for a while I will then look into which one to go for

Posted on 6 Feb 2013 13:23:57 GMT
Alien Girl says:
I'm not sure why Microsoft don't just shoot themselves in the foot for real and be done with ....

Still, I chose PS for my first "grown up" console and I guess I'll be doing the same Next Gen. Not for a while tho, got more than enough games for the PS3 to keep me going for a while.

Posted on 6 Feb 2013 13:35:02 GMT
Last edited by the author on 6 Feb 2013 13:35:42 GMT
Dela says:
Looks like console gamers are in for a nightmare next gen...

Always on DRM?!

Even STEAM lets you play in offline mode...

Ubi has done a u-turn regarding always on DRM with its PC releases after ACII and From Dust sold poorly due to it...

Sad day if its true...

Posted on 6 Feb 2013 13:38:48 GMT
N Trenerry says:
Its good to trade in games but nowadays its not great purchasing second hand ones as most games come with a season pass so if you purchase a second hand game you might as well purchase a brand new one instead as it will work out cheaper in the long run

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Feb 2013 13:43:24 GMT
BALLYSEAGAL says:
Is all this info nailed on facts?

Posted on 6 Feb 2013 13:50:29 GMT
Crixus says:
Doubt it Bally

Posted on 6 Feb 2013 13:55:32 GMT
martytarty says:
I was reading about this earlier, I have to say (if this is true) I won't be impressed if consoles go down this route, not only are we now paying extra these days for locked in disc DLC, plus extra DLC, season passes, online passes (all of this is fair enough) but now we won't even be allowed the option to sell/trade our games once we have finished with them, or buy that pre-owned bargain.

If the pre-owned market for new gen goes then I'd like to see some sort of compromise and give us something back in return like some future dlc to be included in the retail price of the game, or no more paying for live services like xbox gold, these are just ideas from the top of my head and I know they are completely unrealistic.

Posted on 6 Feb 2013 14:03:35 GMT
A Portal Gun says:
If this is true (no second-hand games) then I would think Microsoft and Sony will have both discussed the issue and agreed to go down the same route. I highly doubt that one company would do it and let the other use it as a marketing feature against them.

Goodbye preowned games, hello Microsoft and Sony pricing games at £60 for eternity.

Posted on 6 Feb 2013 14:03:36 GMT
djburty says:
hmmm - i reckon it's just speculation using gamers' interest in the next gen to gain interest in their mag.

i think i'll wait for microsoft & sony's official reveals before deciding about next gen.

Posted on 6 Feb 2013 14:04:32 GMT
Cerberus says:
"Is all this info nailed on facts?"

Wait till it's from the horses mouth as normal mate and not fat bloke down the pup with a gammy leg his mates uncle told him....

Posted on 6 Feb 2013 14:08:24 GMT
Last edited by the author on 6 Feb 2013 14:13:49 GMT
Waht happens in the future when a game is no longer in production?
The demand for sealed rare versions of games will go thruogh the roof, and eventually there wont be any left.
And that rare rpg that came out 2 years ago will forever be locked to peoples accounts with no other way of purchasing/playing the game.
i can see people selling their whole microsoft account just to pass on the 'license' to another player.
and I doubt that will be allowed in Microsofts Ts & Cs.

Edit: I can also imagine games not going down in price for quite a while after release, as with a finite number of games, and no pre-owned to buy instead they can just sit back and assume all games will eventually sell at their starting price!

Posted on 6 Feb 2013 14:11:59 GMT
"Goodbye preowned games, hello Microsoft and Sony pricing games at £60 for eternity."

I think you'll be right for the first 6 months to a year but they'll soon realise sales are down and will drop the prices.

I'll be getting the PS4 but not on RD, at least a year down the line when they stop supporting PS3 MP servers.

Posted on 6 Feb 2013 14:24:04 GMT
I'm all for the non-preowned approach. The money being paid for the games should go directly to the developer and non some 2nd/3rd hand retailer buying/selling them for a tidy profit. They make millions off the industry leading to studios closing and jobs being lost.

If all the money goes to the developers then they will make their money back quicker and be able to drop the prices on brand new games.

Posted on 6 Feb 2013 14:26:22 GMT
If the second hand element is true, it will go against the below...

"CURIA - the Court of Justice of the European Union - has handed down a ruling in a software reselling case which, on the face of it, makes the resale of digitally distributed software officially legal throughout the EU.

The case of Oracle v. UsedSoft came about when the former company took exception to the latter reselling software licences - arguing, quite fairly, that the end-user licence agreement (EULA) under which the software was originally sold contained a specific term forbidding the licence from being transferred to a third party. UsedSoft, a far smaller company based in Germany, was reselling these licences to people who thought Oracle's pricing was set too high.

As with any other industry, second-hand sales are a serious problem for software makers. Each second-hand sale results in zero income for the rightholder, and it's far easier to argue that every second-hand sale represents a lost first-hand sale as, unlike retrieving the software for free through illicit means, the buyer is at least willing to part with some cash for the product.

The second-hand problem is one of the biggest driving forces in the move to digital distribution today. In addition to saving on production and distribution costs and cutting out the middleman for improved profit, digital distribution - with its in-built digital rights management (DRM) facilities and restrictive end-user licence agreements - effectively kills the second-hand market, forcing users to splash out if they want to buy the latest software or play the latest games.

At least, it did until now.

Ruling on the case of UsedSoft v. Oracle - case C-128/11 - CURIA has found that the so-called 'doctrine of first sale' applies to digitally distributed software just as much as it does its physical counterpart, upholding an earlier ruling by the Bundesgerichtshof (German Federal Court of Justice) in the case.

The doctrine of first sale is simple: when you sell your product to a user, you exhaust your right of distribution for that particular copy with the right transferring to the buyer. As CURIA explains in its ruling: 'A rightholder who has marketed a copy in the territory of a Member State of the EU thus loses the right to rely on his monopoly of exploitation in order to oppose the resale of that copy.'

Oracle, for its part, had argued that the doctrine of first sale does not apply to digitally distributed software as there is no physical product - just an agreement between the buyer and seller for the former to use the latter's product.

CURIA's response? Balderdash. 'The principle of exhaustion of the distribution right applies not only where the copyright holder markets copies of his software on a material medium (CD-ROM or DVD) but also where he distributes them by means of downloads from his website. Where the copyright holder makes available to his customer a copy - tangible or intangible - and at the same time concludes, in return form payment of a fee, a licence agreement granting the customer the right to use that copy for an unlimited period, that rightholder sells the copy to the customer and thus exhausts his exclusive distribution right. Such a transaction involves a transfer of the right of ownership of the copy.

'Therefore, even if the licence agreement prohibits a further transfer, the rightholder can no longer oppose the resale of that copy.'

The ruling is not only a blow for Oracle, but a major change in the way digital distribution services as a whole can operate. Currently, it's not possible to resell software purchased from Steam, Origin, or other digital distribution platforms - but CURIA's ruling in the case means that Valve, EA et al will need to add that facility into their system in order to continue to offer the services in the EU. It also means that digital distribution is no longer a solution to the second-hand market, taking away one of the biggest reasons for publishers to support the system.

In addition to full-version software downloads - including, we note, Microsoft's $39.99 upgrade offer for Windows 8 - the ruling would also affect downloadable content (DLC) for games. In the cases where a game is provided with a single-use code for add-on content - a common method for discouraging second-hand purchases of retail console games - publishers will now need to provide a means for users to transfer that content to a third party in the event of the game being sold.

The ruling does put some onus on the reseller to ensure that they are not breaking the law: CURIA states clearly that the seller must make the copy on his or her computer unusable at the time or resale or fall foul of the rightholder's exclusive right of reproduction. It's also not possible to buy multi-user licences at a discount and then split them into individual units, with licences needing to be sold in the same groupings as originally purchased.

Despite these mild restrictions, CURIA's ruling on the case is going to have a major impact on the EU-wide digital distribution market. Thus far, no digital distribution companies have commented on the ruling."

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2012/07/04/curia-digital-distribution/1

Posted on 6 Feb 2013 14:27:53 GMT
MintFox says:
"If all the money goes to the developers then they will make their money back quicker and be able to drop the prices on brand new games. "

Dave you forgot to put 'In theory' at the start of that sentence. If digital distribution from Sony has taught me anything it's that just because something should be cheaper it doesn't mean that it actually will be.

Posted on 6 Feb 2013 14:29:53 GMT
Alien Girl says:
I bought God of War 3 pre owned. It was not a game on my radar and I wasn't looking to buy it, but it was cheap, so I thought "well, if I don't like it, it's only a few quid".

But I loved it. And have gone on to buy the whole saga, brand new and GoW4 will be pre ordered for RD (I've just decided that after working out money stuff!).

All because I bought a pre owned game.

Posted on 6 Feb 2013 14:30:02 GMT
"Waht happens in the future when a game is no longer in production?"

This is what people worry about on PC. At least there you have the option of pirating an old game but it's easier to do that on PC as you don't need to crack the entire console. As games requiring constant online connections get old, you may potentially be locked out of the software you have bought. Again, you can still pirate it but then you may as well have just pirated it in the first place.

Posted on 6 Feb 2013 14:31:07 GMT
Looking at this from my point of view:

No to Kinect - it's guff.
50GB blu ray - Great
Always online - Completely unnecessary and shouldn't be enforced, but I'm always online anyway so won't affect me.
Less powerful, more difficult to develop with - The latter is a reverse of this gen which would be a huge mistake by MS.

Looking forward to both being officially revealed, but as I said in the PS4 thread, each generation represents a new start and I hold no loyalties.

Posted on 6 Feb 2013 14:31:37 GMT
Bunga says:
Have to admit, the always online thing is atrocious if true. Sounds like Sony have the upper hand so far if these rumours are to be believed.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 14 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the video games discussion forum

This discussion

Participants:  64
Total posts:  328
Initial post:  6 Feb 2013
Latest post:  15 Feb 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions