When will the CoD bubble burst?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 254 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 7 Jun 2012 17:59:57 BDT
Predictions below...

Other bubbles that have burst:

Guitar Hero

Wii

(Has the Halo bubble deflated somewhat?)

Vita is certainly on the way there

3DS burst on release but is patched up and steadily inflating.

Pro Evo

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Jun 2012 18:04:48 BDT
Nessy says:
Yes, it's only a matter of time before something else is the popular trend.

I would add -

Tony Hawk as one that burst and WoW as one that will burst in the future.

Posted on 7 Jun 2012 18:06:11 BDT
Hubbard says:
It's not a s controversial when a regular does it.

I reckon next gen or when something better comes out.

Arguebly something has, but no other game gets small team SnD right!

Posted on 7 Jun 2012 18:07:23 BDT
I am not a regular, this is my first time on the forum.

Posted on 7 Jun 2012 18:09:59 BDT
G. Hanks says:
At about 2:45pm on August 16th 2015.

Or there abouts.

Posted on 7 Jun 2012 18:10:46 BDT
"Yes, it's only a matter of time before something else is the popular trend."

Maybe but as a military FPS there are really only two dominant forces on consoles. There's been only two dominant forces in football games for a very long time. But of course given a long enough time line everything dies.

Posted on 7 Jun 2012 18:13:03 BDT
... says:
I'm saying 3 weeks on Tuesday.

Posted on 7 Jun 2012 18:15:22 BDT
There was an article on Kotaku a while back detailing why CoD was so successful. Good point though Tel.

Highlighted such points as a smooth 60fps experience, very high response time for inputs when compared to BF3 and others.

The engine also seems suited to consoles. imo it looks better than BF3 on console as the latter looks like you're running the PC version on low with no AA; lots of jaggedy edges and a mere 30fps.

Posted on 7 Jun 2012 18:16:03 BDT
I expect a big slice of humble pie to be eaten if the vita starts turning big numbers 12 months after release mr mozza.

Posted on 7 Jun 2012 18:17:48 BDT
I hope I don't die in an old people's home playing COD 41. Heart attack from rage quitting because Activision STILL haven't given the game dedicated servers.

Posted on 7 Jun 2012 18:21:20 BDT
... says:
I still don't understand what fps actually means. Don't bother trying to explain it either as I don't really care. Some bubbles don't burst though. Mario, FIFA, elder scrolls, leasire suit Larry.

CoD will die when people start to play a different kind of mp. Not when a better game in the same genre comes along (thats already arrived imo.) It's git brand recognition and is pretty decent value for money when you think of what you get out the box (sp, mp, co-op) if they keep releasing them is be lying if I said I wasn't going to buy it.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Jun 2012 18:29:58 BDT
Last edited by the author on 7 Jun 2012 18:30:31 BDT
Nessy says:
If Uncharted doesn't shift PSV's then don't expect Killzone, LBP, AC or CoD spin offs to either, only a huge price cut along with those games will give them a chance of selling anything like their 10 million first years Vita sales predictions.

Posted on 7 Jun 2012 20:20:31 BDT
The Vita will only shift big numbers in 12 months if some games launch that are hits in Japan. If, for example, a GTA game is launched then a Western sales spike will occur but I don't imagine it will have any amount of staying power and will drop out of the charts quickly. Japan was the PSP's stomping ground as interest evaporated here fairly rapidly despite strong initial sales.

I own a Vita and think it's a great handheld, I'm just waiting for some really cracking games.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Jun 2012 01:45:26 BDT
Have some faith then, they will come.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Jun 2012 08:12:21 BDT
BALLYSEAGAL says:
i think this new cod thats coming out will blow it for a lot of folk and that includes myself. i have always purchased/loaned the cod games to play the story mode and also the multiplayer but this new blops games can do one.

Posted on 8 Jun 2012 08:49:06 BDT
Last edited by the author on 8 Jun 2012 08:50:17 BDT
I would say its already started to burst , just on this forum there seems to be more people that "hate" COD than love it. Part of it is just the trend to complain about stuff because it popular , but there alot of people who have just got a bit bored of the reliable but a bit too similar annual COD model every year.

I hear Black Ops 2 is really mixing things up and has lots of changes in store, so even Treyarch are thinking things are getting stale.

I have to say though I still love COD games. I think MW3 was brilliant and I can't wait for BLOPS 2, sure I complain about the MP as much as the next man but it's usually the COD players that annoy me not the game, which I think is a fantastic series and long may it continue.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Jun 2012 08:51:51 BDT
"i have always purchased/loaned the cod games to play the story mode and also the multiplayer but this new blops games can do one"

Why do you say that Bally ? whats the problem with BLOPS 2 ? what have they done to anger Bally?

Posted on 8 Jun 2012 08:51:59 BDT
... says:
On this forum that's true Bauer but CoD's a bit of a revolving door. As older player move on even more younger players fill the gaps and then some. CoD is as close to mainstream as a videogame can get I think.

Posted on 8 Jun 2012 08:52:19 BDT
Last edited by the author on 8 Jun 2012 08:54:24 BDT
AndyBSG says:
TBH, I can't see COD flopping anytime soon. Even if they carry on with their current strategy of releasing a new map pack every November using the same old engine under the thinly veiled guise of a new game it will still be bought by every 16 year old with a console in the same way that FIFA is still bought every year.

I don't think WoW's bubble will burst for the simple reason that there's nothing out there to challenge it.

If you want an MMO with hundreds of hours of gameplay then nothing really touches it. Everyone was hyping Old Republic but the subscription numbers on that have already dropped by a massive 25% only a few months after release.

No one is going to invest the money needed to create a WoW killer because the MMO market is in decline.

One franchise I can see dying though is Halo. It doesn't really seem to evolve at all and when you compare it to the leaps and bounds made in COD and BF then MS really have to do something special to keep up.

Posted on 8 Jun 2012 08:58:49 BDT
Last edited by the author on 8 Jun 2012 09:00:38 BDT
Wayne says:
I love the COD games for the SP. strange as that may sound as its the MP that's most popular about it. I gave up on the MP after COD4 to be honest. As soon as the COD brand became the casual gamers choice it just became too frustrating for me. As a gamer I enjoy a variety of games and don't have the time or the inclination to sit and play nothing but one game all the time until I'm a supreme expert. Trouble is that the COD games have plenty of players that do nothing but play COD 24/7 and so if you dip in and out of the MP it can be very unforgiving. I get no pleasure or enjoyment being cannon fodder to pad out other peoples K/D ratio. I can take losing and having bad games but constantly being killed over and over is just not fun.

I know that sounds like sour grapes cause I'm not good enough but I never have this problem with other games. I haven't played Battkefield 3 in a while but if I went back to it now I'd have a better experiance, same with Halo and Gears of War.

Posted on 8 Jun 2012 08:59:10 BDT
"I would say its already started to burst , just on this forum there seems to be more people that "hate" COD than love it."

That's just a vocal minority though - if the masses hated it so much, then the games wouldn't keep on selling as well as they do. I also don't expect the CoD bubble to burst any time soon.

Posted on 8 Jun 2012 09:04:19 BDT
Last edited by the author on 8 Jun 2012 09:14:39 BDT
the ironic thing is bally that blops 2 looks to be the most innovative COD in years

different endings!
sandbox levels!
different options!
missions can be failed/characters can die and the game goes on, (heavy rain stylee)!

COD/treyarch try to do something different cos everyone whines about COD being the same year-in year-out and people jump ship. they can't win lol

Posted on 8 Jun 2012 09:06:06 BDT
Last edited by the author on 8 Jun 2012 09:06:34 BDT
COD bubble is no where near bursting - it sells hugely. However, for me I finally lost interest in COD with MW3. I played barely 24 hours of multiplayer and then I didn't enjoy many of those hours. I traded it in having enjoyed the SP but thoroughly thinking for the first time that the MP was jaded and I really have had enough of it. I'm currently not planning to buy BLOPS2 - the single player E3 demo looked very uninspired and a bit silly with Resistance (PS3) style weapons like the Bullseye which can see and shoot through solid walls. Unless I see some spectular MP game play videos pre release BLOPs2 will be a 17.99 Zavvi purchase for the SP only for me.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Jun 2012 09:07:46 BDT
Last edited by the author on 8 Jun 2012 09:14:55 BDT
Adam i never said the Masses hate COD I just said the tide may be starting to turn against it and I was using this forum as an example .. (obviously a small example) sorry if that wasnt very clear. But only an idiot would say the majority hate COD as it sells more and more each year, but its just I have noticed that people dont talk about the franchise with as much love as they once did, at least thats my perception.

Oh and "1 of 3 people think this post adds to the discussion." yes your right my post has nothing to do with this discussion does it ... lol .. this Forum FFS ! (not aimed at you Adam - unless u marked me down ; ) )

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Jun 2012 09:15:07 BDT
Just marked you up ;).

I'd agree that some people are definitely getting fed up of it - a few of my friends are now playing Battlefield rather than Call of Duty. Overall though I just don't see it's popularity and strong sales coming to and end any time soon.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  47
Total posts:  254
Initial post:  7 Jun 2012
Latest post:  17 Jun 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions