Customer Discussions > video games discussion forum

Rumour: 56 Page Internal Document Leaked Detailing 'The Future of Xbox'.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 94 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 16 Jun 2012 02:54:59 BDT
Last edited by the author on 17 Jun 2012 13:15:30 BDT
Nessy says:
Could be fake but still an interesting read ;-).

Posted on 16 Jun 2012 08:25:53 BDT
I'm not convinced that is legit. If it is, it's total BS. Nothing of any substance, just page after page of keywords, catchphrases and execu-speak.

Posted on 16 Jun 2012 10:02:51 BDT
Dela says:
Any chance of a copy & paste?...

Posted on 16 Jun 2012 10:07:32 BDT
I agree Ewok - it's like a student did it. If it is true then the kinnect glasses are the only thing that seems properly leaked (as everything else is known at this point - there seems to be an inplication that it is an old doc - a bit like the psychics who predict 9/11 only after 9/11!).

Only thing that really screams fake to me (other than how bad a presentation it is) is the term 720 being used which I always thought was a media term and not MS - they tend to name projects ie Natal or the rumoured Durango don't they?

Hey Ho though - interesting to think of what may be I guess.

Posted on 16 Jun 2012 10:37:55 BDT
Last edited by the author on 16 Jun 2012 10:38:16 BDT
Hunter says:
I agree it appears fake. 720 has been thrown around by joe public for ages and MS haven't made one statement with the words Xbox 720 in it as far as I'm aware.
The usual rumour mill going overboard on what they THINK the new console MAY be NOT ACTUAL FACT of any kind as far as I can tell.

Posted on 16 Jun 2012 10:40:37 BDT
Crixus says:
"The usual rumour mill going overboard on what they THINK the new console MAY be NOT ACTUAL FACT of any kind as far as I can tell. "

FACT

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jun 2012 11:02:20 BDT
Can't really C&P mate, it's all flow charts and tables.

Posted on 16 Jun 2012 11:45:15 BDT
Last edited by the author on 16 Jun 2012 11:45:27 BDT
A Portal Gun says:
Definitely a fake. The wording and presentation are all off, not very professional at all.

Think of it like this. Could you imagine sitting at a meeting table at Microsoft and the head of the games division passing *this* around?

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jun 2012 12:05:53 BDT
Indeed. A proper presentation/business plan would consist of three steps - 'where are we now', 'where do we need to be' and 'how do we get there'.

This business plan seems to be - 'we are making an awesome new Xbox and we need it to be awesome and it will be awesome because it is awesome.'

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jun 2012 12:59:30 BDT
A Portal Gun says:
This document appears like it's written by a marketer, aimed at the consumer.

There's also some weird design and writing choices. For example:

"Best Games and Entertainment for Everyone in the family"- Firstly, seems like an advertisement. Secondly, what's with the random caps? It's formatted like a title for the first part then just goes to normal formatting for the second.

"The ONLY box you need for premium living room entertainment" Only is capitalised, a common ad feature designed to be eye catching (see also: "The Best" and "Natural Input (random caps again) that adapts to YOU and YOUR WORLD")

The acronym "GOW" is used. That should be a huge giveaway that a consumer wrote this. Most investors and business fat cats aren't going to understand what on Earth a GOW is.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jun 2012 13:16:30 BDT
Dela says:
Everyone kno's it stands for "God of War", pfffft!...

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jun 2012 13:19:16 BDT
GOW will always be God of War as far as I'm concerned, as God of War came out before Gears of War :P.

Posted on 16 Jun 2012 14:29:04 BDT
Nessy says:
I think the biggest thing that gives it away is that they are going to sell a console with 3 CPU's, 2 GPU's, 4GB's of Ram, a Blu Ray drive and Kinect 2 built in for $299 lol, thought it was a really well put together fake tho compared to the usual one page tripe ;-).

Posted on 16 Jun 2012 21:49:33 BDT
Last edited by the author on 16 Jun 2012 21:49:51 BDT
one2escape says:
MS lawyers have asked for the document to be pulled. Read into that what you like.
http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/06/16/xbox-720-price-features-revealed-in-rumored-document?utm_campaign=ign+main+twitter&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

Update: The document in question has since been removed from its original source at the request of Covington & Burling, a law firm that advises Microsoft. No word on if it was removed for being a forgery or not, so we've inquired with the firm as to why

Posted on 18 Jun 2012 14:49:05 BDT
Nessy says:
Why are MS so bothered if it's fake ? ;)...

Microsoft lawyers remove leaked 'Xbox 720' document -

Paper claims new console will launch 2013 at $299, complete with Blu-ray and advanced Kinect technology -

"A 56 page PowerPoint document that supposedly reveals sensitive information about Microsoft's next-generation console has been removed from the website it was leaked to.

The document, published on Scribd, claims the Xbox 720 will be released for the 2013 holidays with 4-6x the power of the current Xbox 360, at a price of $299.

It was removed following a complaint from Covington & Burling LLP, an international law firm that lists Microsoft as one of its clients.

The authenticity of the document, apparently written in 2010, remains a matter for dispute.

If genuine, the details within are difficult to verify as the paper appears to have been written in 2010. Games console design is a process that traditionally has one project undergo a multitude of redesigns.

According to the document, the Xbox 720 will feature Blu-ray compatibility, a form of augmented reality glasses, "Kinect version 2" and the recent SmartGlass service.

Some of the details, such as release date, match with data supplied by CVG's sources."

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Jun 2012 14:50:31 BDT
Look at the post above yours.... lol.

Posted on 18 Jun 2012 14:51:26 BDT
I still cant see Microsoft ever using Blu-Ray, they'd have to pay one of their biggest rivals royalties? sounds crazy. I thought they'd develope their own mass-storage discs?

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Jun 2012 14:52:47 BDT
Nessy says:
Me and R fell out over this a few months ago, the royalty fee would be minimal apparently according to him.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Jun 2012 14:56:16 BDT
... says:
They have had the HD DVD market sewen up for years now.

Wonder if HD DVD would've taken off if it came out of the box like blu ray did on PS3?

Posted on 18 Jun 2012 15:00:01 BDT
Last edited by the author on 18 Jun 2012 15:02:09 BDT
Nessy says:
The info in that document wasn't far off what has been leaked by developers online in the past few months tbh.

It has a 4 Core AMD CPU, a Dual Core CPU for Kinect 2 and another Tri Core CPU for 360 backwards compatibility, the only thing i found strange about it was the price, $300 for all of that on top of a really powerful graphics chip, 4-6 GB of Ram and a Blu Ray drive.

If they do sell it for $300 they will be making a huge loss, possibly over $100 per console but if any of the big three were to do that, it would be money bags Microsoft :).

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Jun 2012 15:01:08 BDT
Last edited by the author on 18 Jun 2012 15:01:25 BDT
Nessy says:
Maybe Astro but then again one of the reasons the 360 took off was because it was over 100 cheaper than PS3 at launch. If they had included the HD DVD drive in it, it would have added an extra $40 - $50 in hardware costs.

Posted on 18 Jun 2012 15:01:52 BDT
Microsoft should make GreenRay discs.

Yes, I know this adds nothing to the discussion :P.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Jun 2012 15:06:36 BDT
Last edited by the author on 18 Jun 2012 15:06:59 BDT
Wasn't according to me. It was according to many people including someone who posted how much the royalities are - which was peanuts. I made an educated guess because I work in the development of IP and I'm exposed to similar tech and have an idea of what the royalities are - which are tiny.

And there is a common misconseption on this forum that Sony OWN blue ray. They don't. They are one of several (if not a dozen) companies that are part of a consortium that own the technology. Sony cannot dictate who uses the technology - it's a common misconception on here. I'm not getting into the whole discussion again:-)

Posted on 18 Jun 2012 15:31:23 BDT
one2escape says:
The rumoured date of that report was around August 2010 so some of the data may be wrong now.

Posted on 18 Jun 2012 15:33:35 BDT
BTW. I'm not saying MS will defo use Blue Ray for 720 but my educated guess would be that they will.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  24
Total posts:  94
Initial post:  16 Jun 2012
Latest post:  21 Jun 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions