Customer Discussions > video games discussion forum

Next Gen. Who will you be backing?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 344 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 17 Jul 2012 11:48:19 BDT
Hey

I was just wondering what console everyone is considering getting next gen. This is the first generation where I have all three of the competitors. Previously I had :

Master System
Snes
N64 & Dreamcast (bought this second hand well after launch)
Gamecube & Xbox
Wii, Xbox 360 & PS3

I reckon I will end up getting the Wii U just as a given since I have a soft spot for Nintendo but I will probably only be able to afford one of the big boys. If I was to consider this 2 years ago it wouldve been the new XBox hands down, but since the release of the Vita and slow decline in Xbox games my love for the PS3 has really peaked and im really considering the PS4 instead. Im a little tired of paying 40 per year for the Gold service on XBL. But if Sony keep up the decent stream of games on PS+ I would be more than happy to pay 40 per year for that.

Opinions please, please keep the fanboiness to a minimum though, I was hoping for a constructive debate.

Posted on 17 Jul 2012 11:52:49 BDT
Last edited by the author on 17 Jul 2012 12:00:32 BDT
RAB says:
I'm waiting for something concrete on the consoles and what sort of games we can expect before nailing my colours to a mast. As it is only the WiiU has been formally unveiled as a next-gen console, there's absolutely nothing concrete on the PS4/NextBox so there's no point in saying I'm going to buy a hypothetical console.

As it is I'll probably wait a few years into the next gen before taking the plunge anyway because I was a late starter on this one.

Posted on 17 Jul 2012 11:54:37 BDT
Last edited by the author on 17 Jul 2012 12:02:48 BDT
No doubt I'll be getting both Xbox and Playstation next gen. One will no doubt become my main console and t'other will be for exclusives only - which one I have no idea. My PS3 however is sitting pretty redundant at the moment, and for the forseeable future, and if it wasn't for PS+ I would consider packing it away or even selling it. Only a small number of Sony IPs appeal to me and the ones announced don't appeal either.

I doubt I'll get a WiiU unless it is really very cheap.

And if either XBox or PS go Digital Only, Streaming or have DRM then that will have an impact on which console I favour. I don't want any of these forementioned things to happen. And I doubt any of those 3 things will - at least as the sole feature next gen.

Posted on 17 Jul 2012 11:57:41 BDT
Like RAB I'll be waiting for concrete information and most importantly (for me) lists of games.

Judging from this gen it'll probably be the next Xbox, I just prefer the games on 360 to PS3 but like I said it will depend on the line-up.

Posted on 17 Jul 2012 11:59:58 BDT
Trigger says:
I think I can safely say I'll be sticking with Sony unless MS make a huge commitment to investing in new IPs. If they're still bringing out just Halo, Forza, Fable, Kinect tat and maybe Gears at E3 2015 I think it's gonna look seriously stale. Nintendo are just Nintendo; I really like Mario, Metroid and Zelda as much as the next guy, but they need some new blood to make their next console line-up look more appealing to me. And they need decent third-party support; I won't buy their console again just for their in-house games like I did with the Cube. Sony misfire frequently but they have the most fluid and exciting line-up of first party software, and provided they're still getting all the big third party games too like this gen then I think the PS4 will be ticking the most boxes for me.

Posted on 17 Jul 2012 12:03:07 BDT
Wayne says:
I'm backing Atari to make a comeback and release the successor to the jaguar lol.

Posted on 17 Jul 2012 12:08:22 BDT
Trigger says:
SEGA!

/Hanks tease.

Posted on 17 Jul 2012 12:08:29 BDT
It depends a lot on how Kinect-centric the next Xbox is. I've preferred the 360 this gen but the signs aren't looking great for what is to come whereas Sony seem to be investing in new IP's and not forcing the 'magic of Kinect/Move' down users throats. If Sony completely overhaul their on line capabilities then that will probably be the deal breaker for me.

I won't be making any concrete decisions until the hard facts are out there though.

Posted on 17 Jul 2012 12:12:19 BDT
Last edited by the author on 17 Jul 2012 12:13:40 BDT
@Trigger

I feel the same, I loved Halo back in the day, but I doubt i'll even touch Halo 4 unless I can get it for 10

Sony seem to be the only manufacturer making decent new IPs. Just as long as we see dont Uncharted 7 on the PS4.

I think i'll probably buy a Wii U for christmas, dependant on price, then wait about a year into the next gen before choosing a PS4 or a Nextbox.

Posted on 17 Jul 2012 12:15:29 BDT
Last edited by the author on 17 Jul 2012 12:15:49 BDT
"I'm backing Atari to make a comeback and release the successor to the jaguar lol."

I know have the urge to watch the Jaguar episodes of Angry Video Game Nerd lol.

On topic, I haven't decided yet. I will most likely get what my friends get - which I think will be the PS4. I won't be rushing into next gen though like I did with this gen - will wait and see how things play out for all 3 consoles before getting any of them.

Posted on 17 Jul 2012 12:19:37 BDT
I think I'm gonna be hyped for next gen and buy the MS and Sony consoles day one. Unless MS launch with mainly Kinect games or Sony launch with Heavy Rain 2 and GOW 5 - then I might think again.

I want more Gears and Halo so even if my PS4 becomes my main console no way would I would want to miss out on any Halo or Gears.

Posted on 17 Jul 2012 12:47:49 BDT
TMan says:
Good ol' 360 and shiny new PS3 slim will see me through next couple of years, so I will repeat my Nintendo - MS - Sony cycle again.
1) WiiU at launch, hopefully to be sold for profit at later date.
2) Nextbox few months or a year after launch for Halo fix.
3) Inevitable & cheaper PS4-slim.

Posted on 17 Jul 2012 12:54:24 BDT
I didn't take the plunge on this gen until GTA4 was due to be released (before it got delayed 6 months), and I think next gen will be similar. Until a must-have killer app is released - and there has never, ever been a console launch title which fits that description - I'll stick to catching up on the vast back catalogue of games from this gen that I haven't got around to yet

Posted on 17 Jul 2012 12:55:26 BDT
RAB says:
"3) Inevitable & cheaper PS4-slim."

That's probably when I'll get a next-gen console, once the revisions have been done.

Posted on 17 Jul 2012 12:56:16 BDT
HOOP DOGG says:
I'll bide my time until any reliability issues begin to surface with either the PS4 or Nextbox & then see which is better. Also whichever console has the next Elder Scrolls game first is likely to win me over unless it's a simultaneous release like Skyrim. No interest in nintendo whatsoever so that's off the list.

Posted on 17 Jul 2012 12:56:50 BDT
MF says:
i will continue to back sony. Sony seem to be the ones that are interested in making decent games at the moment and contuining to invest in this . Quite frankly though I think Im on my own here but Im quite happy with the ps3 at the moment and if sony / xbox said they werent introducing a new machine for the next 3 or 4 years - that would suit me fine.

Posted on 17 Jul 2012 12:59:38 BDT
As I said, I will no doubt buy the Wii U. Even if i only ever play Zelda on it, but judging from the last 2 years, Sony appear to be the only ones interested in keeping the gaming community happy. MS seem hellbent on forcing Kinect at people, which I have no interest in.

Posted on 17 Jul 2012 13:13:51 BDT
TMan says:
Think Sony should keep pumping out new games for PS3. Just look at The Last Of Us and Beyond: Two Souls. They really don't need to release new console until 2014.

Posted on 17 Jul 2012 13:15:11 BDT
AstroMonkey says:
Whatever Wayne gets - I'll get the opposite. As it is written so it shall be.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Jul 2012 13:20:09 BDT
Trigger says:
Me too Mat. I'd gladly see this gen go on for another two or three years and developers make the most of the tech available. I mean, if we can have impressive software on current-gen hardware like Rage, Max Payne 3, The Last of Us or Assassin's Creed III then I don't yet see the need for better hardware just so they can cram more polygons on screen. I'd rather developers work on optimising what we've got, AI, physics integration, etc.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Jul 2012 13:20:59 BDT
Wayne says:
" Whatever Wayne gets - I'll get the opposite. As it is written so it shall be."

Lol, any reason why? Don't you have a 360 now?

Posted on 17 Jul 2012 13:25:04 BDT
AstroMonkey says:
I'm just jesting dude and I do have a 360.

Posted on 17 Jul 2012 13:30:55 BDT
Rob says:
I won't touch the Wii U as the Wii had very little appeal to me.

I think I'm going to try and cut down on gaming for next generation, but I'm fairly certain I'll probably end up with the new Xbox up a year or so after release.

I think it also depends on the games, I've heard a new Timesplitters being mentioned and if/when that comes out I'll definitely be picking up a console to play it.

Posted on 17 Jul 2012 13:40:03 BDT
PS4, like mentioned sony are actually making new games however if you want to play gears and halo etc again next gen thats cool if you like them.

Im in no rush liike some, i would be happy for a few more years of ps3 i need them to get through my backlog.

Posted on 17 Jul 2012 13:46:10 BDT
Trigger says:
I didn't get a PS3 until late 2008 and I'll probably sit out next gen too for at least the first 12-18 months. After the shocking reliability this generation, it'll be interesting to see how well MS and Sony perform in this regard, and whether either cut corners in the race to market.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 14 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

ARRAY(0xb411e1ec)

This discussion

Participants:  61
Total posts:  344
Initial post:  17 Jul 2012
Latest post:  1 Aug 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions