Customer Discussions > video games discussion forum

Games that never end.....in a bad way

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-22 of 22 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 4 Jun 2012 13:43:37 BDT
Last edited by the author on 4 Jun 2012 16:00:44 BDT
ShotoTiggs says:
I've gotten through most of Rayman Origins and it's brought up two things. One, cartoony looking games are not always as easy as you think and two, you don't always want a long campaign. Thank God it was rented.

I didn't expect the game to be a piece of p!$$ or anything but I thought it would be easy enough to get through, difficult to master. Boy was I wrong. The basic levels are pretty easy to get through. The odd tricky bit but nothing too bad, but by God the later levels had me tearing my hair out. As for the "king" bosses...aaarrrggghhhh!!!!! You look at the box thinking it'll be a nice easy game, maybe one for kids, but no kid is going to be able to get through that. There were a few levels I thought "Oh, is that it?" once I finally got through it, but it took me several dozen attempts to get there.

BTW, for anyone who played the game, how long did it take you to realise the fairies speak pig latin?

***SPOILERS*****
Which brings me to my second point. I finished the main levels and freed all the little fairies and they tell me I need to free the king of each level. Fair enough, I think, I can do that. But it's not a boss fight, it's three or four levels leading up to a stupidly tricky boss fight. Okkkaaaay, well there are only four of them so it should be OK. So I get through them and heave a sigh of relief when they're all free. Then I go back to the fairies who tell me the kings have released a passage to yet another world. OH COME ON!!!!

I tried, I really did, but after getting blown up another dozen times I give up. It's like the game that wouldn't end. I liked the graphics, music, gameplay and the quirkiness of it all at first but enough is enough. The quirky things started to grate, the music got irritating and the bright colours were mocking me with their cheeriness.

What other games has anyone come across that either seem far too hard for their target audience or seemed to go on and on for the sake of a longer game? And I don't mean when the game is bad, I mean when a good game stretches out the story to, and beyond, breaking point so that by the time you finish it you don't care anymore, or you give up because you've had enough.

Posted on 4 Jun 2012 13:53:06 BDT
I'm quite enjoying Rayman Origins. I'm playing it an hour or so at time. I've released all the fairies then did the boss righty level that came after. Thought job done. But then found it was going round again. But I personally felt the game was long enough at that point.

I also enjoy doing the Rayman lvl completion dance whenever I complete the most basic of household chores, much to the disgust of my daughter.

Posted on 4 Jun 2012 13:58:43 BDT
Last edited by the author on 4 Jun 2012 13:59:00 BDT
Wayne says:
I think the Lego games are pretty tough. I suppose it's because when I've played them I'm trying to get all the achievements where as most young kids wouldn't care but some of them, particularly Lego Indy I was thinking no kids gonna be able to do some of these achievements.

Posted on 4 Jun 2012 14:02:38 BDT
Last edited by the author on 4 Jun 2012 14:04:41 BDT
ShotoTiggs says:
I've never done that, Dave, but I did find myself humming the little tune for when the guys go red. :P

I did enjoy the game but just lost my rag with it when it kept dragging on. If the Kings had been the end of it, it would have been fine, but that's not the end. It probably would have been better if I played something else in between, tbh, but it's all I've played over the last couple of weeks.

I didn't find the Lego games particularly hard but, like Wayne says, I haven't bothered with the extras. The only one I've platted was Harry Potter 1-4 and one or two of the puzzles were a bit obscure and complicated but it was mostly not too bad.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Jun 2012 14:12:26 BDT
I love the music too. Especially love the music when you chase the chest. Also the fact it has the thought bubble of Rayman jumping on it then it bolts. Makes me smile everytime.

I've no doubt I'll end up giving up on it of it is really going to keep me going on and on.

Posted on 4 Jun 2012 14:17:16 BDT
ShotoTiggs says:
If you don't, please let me know how much longer it lasts. I don't see it being much beyond what I've played. If it's not too bad I may persevere. I know what you mean about the chest music and thought bubble, that was part of the quirkiness I enjoyed. I haven't put too much effort into finding everything though so I've only unlocked 5 of those chases.

Posted on 4 Jun 2012 15:32:55 BDT
Solar Fox says:
[ waits for Bauer to post MGS4.. ]

Posted on 4 Jun 2012 16:00:31 BDT
I started Split Second the other day and the first half was well easy and then they put random levels in that are absolute brick. I mean, you can finish and qualify ok b ut coming first is an absolute Herculean task. I did a time trial last night 50 times in a row and every time I got the same result without 20ms which was a full 3s away from their top tier. WTF?! And I'm usually good at driving games!

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Jun 2012 18:22:54 BDT
Rubber banding of the ai was bad on Split Second.

Driving games that went on forever? Forza 3. Jesus it was dull, dreary and tiresome.

Posted on 4 Jun 2012 20:56:06 BDT
Don't feel as though Rayman Origins is too long at all - I loved every second of it and I'm well on my way to the plat
On the other hand, as much as I love the game, Max Payne 3 drags around the mid-point for an hour or two before picking up for the explosive finale

Gears Of War 2 could have done with being an Act shorter and LA Noire was just mission after mission of the same stuff

Posted on 4 Jun 2012 21:29:20 BDT
MGS4 ..... there you go grey fox

Yep if the last Act didnt make you slip into a Coma, the last cut scene sure will .... that final cutscene really never ends, i think its still playing on my PS3 now !

Posted on 4 Jun 2012 21:53:02 BDT
All Ghost Recon games ever.

Also, Unit 13.

Posted on 5 Jun 2012 11:18:28 BDT
Hubbard says:
LA Noire was irritating.

Roy Earle was probably the most interesting side kick yet Vice is only 3 missions long. All the other desks just dragged out, especially Homicide.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Jun 2012 12:31:21 BDT
The Arson Desk seemed a bit pointless after Homicide and Vice, unfortunately LA Noire did end in a bad way. It should've ended more like LA Confidential. ;)

FF XIII, just seemed to be walking down linear corridors for ages, by the time you get to an open world you're bored of the game.

Posted on 5 Jun 2012 13:21:32 BDT
A Byatt says:
i thought rayman origins wasn't long enough.

Posted on 5 Jun 2012 19:33:07 BDT
I thought MGS4 wasn't long enough. ;)

Posted on 5 Jun 2012 20:20:58 BDT
... says:
MGS4 was pretty hard going. I had no idea what was going on at the end of the story. I even got bored reading a brief outline off it on here. Still the 15 minutes of actual gameplay were pretty decent.

Posted on 5 Jun 2012 21:32:00 BDT
The gameplay in MGS was 80% sublime - chapter 4 with three boss fights and the multi gheko encounters was just brilliant imo. 20% of gameplay was meh for sure and chapter 3 and 5 both contained cutscenes that were the same in length as the Godfather Pt 1 - these cutscenes were great great cutscenes but just way way way too long for a modern game - chapter 3 especially seemed to view actual gaming as obstruction to watching cutscenes. A flawed diamond imo.

Posted on 5 Jun 2012 23:47:29 BDT
Crixus says:
Easily LA Noire, was painful to play to the end

Posted on 6 Jun 2012 01:00:30 BDT
Lol I don't get all the LA noire hatred I loved it, the end was a disappointment story wise but I loved the whole game.

Posted on 6 Jun 2012 12:56:32 BDT
ShotoTiggs says:
I agree LA Noire dragged on a bit too but it was the driving in between scenes that bugged me. In the end I let the partner do the driving. The ending didn't bother me as much as some. It was slightly disappointing but not a game destroyer.

Posted on 6 Jun 2012 13:02:59 BDT
G. Hanks says:
Gigatrack on Trials Evolution. Trying to get gold on that and wondering when the track will ever end.

Playing 4 hours of Final Fantasy: 4 heroes of light, realising it would be another 26 hours at least to see the end and giving up on it. No turn-based RPG should decide who to attack and who to heal for you (especially when the decision is made by a moronic AI.)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  16
Total posts:  22
Initial post:  4 Jun 2012
Latest post:  6 Jun 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions