Customer Discussions > video games discussion forum

Binary Domain

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 381 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 31 Dec 2011 16:48:40 GMT
Solar Fox says:
Is anyone looking forward to this?

http://playstationlifestyle.net/2011/09/02/pax-hands-on-binary-domain/

Binary Domain has been a game on my radar ever since its announcement trailer, so at PAX this year I headed over to the Sega booth and got hands-on time with the upcoming robot shooter. The game takes place in 2080 Tokyo, where robots are everywhere and a group of them are now rebelling, causing all kinds of havoc between the top and bottom sections of Tokyo.
Immediately after picking up the controller, I was reminded of Vanquish in how it controlled and looked. That is not to say this is a fast paced game, because it's not, but the way my character handled was somewhat like Vanquish. Before I started my mission, I was given the option to pick my two squad mates from a group, each member of which had their own skill sets and perks. For my mission I picked a girl with a sniper rifle and an in your face style guy. Who you select really makes a difference as you gain or lose trust with your comrades. The higher your trust with that character, the better they will fight, making it essential to work well with your teammates.

In fact, Binary Domain really pushes you to make nice with your squad and work together with them through their consequence system. In this system, for example, if you continue to die, your squad mates will get frustrated with you and at times will refuse to heal you. What this does is actually reward you for playing smart and not just running and gunning. The guy playing before me proved this when he died multiple times and was flat-out told by one of his squad mates "no" when he requested first aid. This system also affects your trust with characters through choices you make in the game. At one point in my demo, I acted with stealth and killed two guys, earning trust from one character but rubbing another the wrong way because he wanted me to go all out. During the game, you will also be given dialogue choices, where maybe a player says he will take lead and you can say "yes" or "no." Your answer here will affect the trust with that character. With this system, I found myself really working hard to be a good leader, so that I could inspire confidence in my squad, which in turn made them bigger bad asses.

In Binary Domain, you'll be fighting a ton of robots and just as you would expect, putting a few bullets into their bodies won't kill them. Take out their legs and they will crawl after you, or take out an arm and they will just use the other. Most of these robots are fairly easy to dispatch as long as you use cover to your advantage, however if you stay out of cover too long, you will get smoked. I fought one boss in my demo, and this took some trial and error, but I was able to come out on top. The boss was a gigantic mech who I had to fire on from destroyed buildings and rooftops, while also fighting off smaller robots that flew down. At one point during the fight, I was able to shoot down an electric wire while the mech was standing in water, sending an electric shock his way and doing a lot of damage. The rest of the time I was taking aim at his various exposed wires and the top of his head from roofs, until I finally took him down with my very last pistol bullet.

Weapons in the game are pretty much your standard setup except that each one has a special alternate fire that uses power ups found on the ground. For instance, my assault rifle had the ability to charge up and send a shock wave at enemies, which threw them backwards and dealt a good bit of damage. Other than this, it was pretty much straight forward with assault rifles, pistols, sniper rifles, and rocket launchers. Even then, all the guns felt good and packed a lot of punch, though the sniper rifle had a weird habit of targeting the closet enemy automatically when you first zoomed in, making it extremely frustrating when trying to pick off other snipers while ground troops were charging.

The game looked good with environments doing a good job of showing the destruction that comes with any war. The story from what I was told would have a few really good twists, including someone maybe being a robot and not knowing about it. Characters voices were solid and fit the character they were coming from, and in-game sounds like gunfire and heavy mechs moving around were well done.

Sega is doing things the right way to offer a unique shooter and squad experience to gamers everywhere. The way your team reacts to your decisions will add another layer of depth to the game, and bosses look like they will be a lot of fun to take down. Binary Domain is set to release February 2012.

Very reminiscent of my fav sci-fi shooter, Vanquish. :)

Just thought i would bring it to your attention if you didn't already know. Looking forward to this.

Posted on 10 Jan 2012 13:15:06 GMT
Trigger says:
I am quite looking forward to this - I like the Yakuza games so it's been on my radar for ages, but more importantly I played it at EG Expo last year, and it was a really tight, slick TPS. It's not going to push any boundaries, but for those who like the genre it looks like a worthwhile entry.

My only issue was with the utterly clichéd characters and dialogue.

Posted on 10 Jan 2012 13:28:25 GMT
Equinox80 says:
This is on my radar as is Inversion but I don't know much about either. I think I may end up opting for the Yakuza Zombie game though for my TPS kicks this year.

Posted on 10 Jan 2012 13:32:05 GMT
Trigger says:
I haven't seen much of Inversion, but my spider-sense tells me it's going to be weak, i.e. like the next Dark Void. OT, but apparently Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City is looking very ropey as well; it feels like most Japanese publishers just cannot nail the third (or first) person shooter genre. PlatinumGames is the only Japanese dev I can think of who nailed it with Vanquish, and by extension Sega, assuming BD turns out good as well.

I also love the BD soundtrack from the trailers so far.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Jan 2012 13:32:32 GMT
"The story from what I was told would have a few really good twists, including someone maybe being a robot and not knowing about it"

How is this a good twist? It's possibly only beaten by the gruff and moody character really having a heart of gold in cliché stakes.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Jan 2012 13:35:25 GMT
Trigger says:
Or the downtrodden old champ having - and winning - his one last shot at victory.

Posted on 10 Jan 2012 16:53:19 GMT
Last edited by the author on 2 Feb 2012 20:57:02 GMT
Solar Fox says:
I thought this thread had died miserably. Glad someone is looking forward to this, even if it is just out of curiosity. :) I wil be buying it on release day. It's a unique formula that could well be an overlooked masterpeice. I think this has potential to be something special.

Posted on 10 Jan 2012 21:57:33 GMT
djburty says:
""The story from what I was told would have a few really good twists, including someone maybe being a robot and not knowing about it"
"How is this a good twist?"
well - for a while they think they are a robot, then they think they're not, then they think they are, but it turns out that they are actually a mutant space alien zombie from mars - but then find out they have just been in a coma since 1979 and it was all a bad dream - or was it? [cue evil laughter]

Posted on 2 Feb 2012 21:00:23 GMT
Solar Fox says:
New Binary Domain Trailer Shows War Against Robots, Reveals Delay.

SEGA has released a new trailer for their upcoming third person shooter, Binary Domain. The trailer introduces players to the world of Binary Domain - a world where mankind fights against robots for survival.

The trailer shows that the game is set in the year 2080. The first scene of the trailer shows a group of robots surrounding a man, who tears his face off to reveal that he's a robot. Next, a group of government officials are shown discussing the fact that these robots are nearly indistinguishable from humans. A special team is given permission to enter Japan covertly and they're shown in various situations, including one where another "man" is shot and revealed to be a robot. The next few sequences show intense moments and gameplay, including sneaking in cover, riding jet ski-like vehicles, shootouts and more. The trailer ends with a squad member standing over someone (or a robot), pointing his gun at him/her/it, and then firing the gun.

The trailer also reveals that Binary Domain has been delayed from February 14th to February 28th.

http://playstationlifestyle.net/2012/01/11/new-binary-domain-trailer-shows-war-against-robots-reveals-delay/

Posted on 2 Feb 2012 21:25:17 GMT
Last edited by the author on 2 Feb 2012 21:26:19 GMT
"a world where mankind fights against robots for survival."

We're always fighting somebody for our survival. Will it ever end? Why can't we just get along, to live in peace and harmony?

Oh well. I like the look of this game but it comes out amongst a few others that will directly compete for my attention. Syndicate comes out on the same day I think and SSX something like a week later. So while I will definitely get this at some point it'll be at a dropped price rate. In fact there's a few of these coming up in the next month: Any news on The Darkness 2 and a game nobody on here seems to mention: Inversion. Which looks like another 3rd person co-op game. But the shifting of horizontal/vertical looks really good and different.

Posted on 3 Feb 2012 00:49:29 GMT
Solar Fox says:
I noticed 'Inversion' but it had Namco stamped on it so reserved optimism. It may turn out good, but like many say on here, i need to see game footage and reviews first.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Feb 2012 13:16:18 GMT
"for a while they think they are a robot, then they think they're not, then they think they are, but it turns out that they are actually a mutant space alien zombie from mars - but then find out they have just been in a coma since 1979 and it was all a bad dream - or was it? [cue evil laughter]".... as the screen slowly fades to black with the words "The End" slowly appearing, followed a few seconds later by ?

Posted on 3 Feb 2012 13:20:46 GMT
Last edited by the author on 3 Feb 2012 13:21:10 GMT
Equinox80 says:
I saw some footage of this on Playr (games program on some obscure Sky channel) a few weeks ago. I wouldn't get your hopes up too high for this game as it looked quite dull and just like a generic third person shooter.

Posted on 3 Feb 2012 16:27:48 GMT
djburty says:
""for a while they think they are a robot, then they think they're not, then they think they are, but it turns out that they are actually a mutant space alien zombie from mars - but then find out they have just been in a coma since 1979 and it was all a bad dream - or was it? [cue evil laughter]".... as the screen slowly fades to black with the words "The End" slowly appearing, followed a few seconds later by ?"

i'd buy that game - but possibly not binary domain. :)

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Feb 2012 16:37:47 GMT
Trigger says:
I reckon it will be a good, solid, enjoyable shooter that won't sell especially well and is going to scream "buy it when it hits £18". Part of the problem is that it's too caught between two styles; you've got the international team of soldiers replete with cockney geezer, tough-talking leader guy, black dude who swears a lot, etc, and then you've got giant multi-legged robots with glowing weak points. I know Sega and Yakuza Studios are trying to marry eastern and western game habits into one sell-able package, but I think they're going to struggle to make COD or Mass Effect players care about shooting these robots with silly designs.

Posted on 3 Feb 2012 19:32:08 GMT
Last edited by the author on 3 Feb 2012 21:33:23 GMT
Solar Fox says:
I like the fact that BD has some original and refreshing ideas included within it's 3rd person shooting action. Artificially intelligent characters that react to how you perform in combat and decisions you make. Human looking robots and some nice looking graphical touches, make the environment look futuristic yet organic.

I actually like the fact that Cod and ME players will only look down their noses at it. This to me proves that it is something different from the mainstream, and I am glad of the change of scenario.

The trailers have presented this game very well. Theres nothing too OTT to make you lol. It's vision of the future is highly possible and sensibly told. The characters maybe cliched but what character isn't these days.

I may also wait for that drop in price. £20 and I will be in there. This could be a fresh and enjoyable addition to the sci-fi gaming genre. To which I will remain open with my judgement until trailers and reviews reveal the truth of Binary Domain.

Posted on 4 Feb 2012 00:17:44 GMT
djburty says:
"I like the fact that BD has some original and refreshing ideas included within it's 3rd person shooting action. Artificially intelligent characters that react to how you perform in combat and decisions you make. Human looking robots and some nice looking graphical touches, make the environment look futuristic yet organic."

it's not all that original - robots that look like human's (ie androids) is an idea from the 60's and is pretty standard fare - AI teammates are also pretty standard in games (for instance, phantasy star portable games include both androids and AI teammates); hopefully they will do a better job than AI often does (lost planet 2 for instance) - the graphics look ok, but not outstanding - futuristic, but organic is almost a cliche in it's own right at the moment, with lots of games going for that whether its crysis 2, enslaved, mgs4 or even nier. the last of us also has that kind of theme, but unsure when its set.

i thought Vanquish had some original ideas for the TPS genre, but i would think binary domain is hoping to be a solid shooter that works smoothly and is fun. it'd be worth about £25 unless it does have something truly original - maybe humans that look like robots? (although Iain M Banks has probably got that covered in his Culture series) :)

Posted on 4 Feb 2012 00:31:37 GMT
Solar Fox says:
Watching the first trailer appears to convey a pretty impressive AI of your team mates reactions to your decisions. Ive never seen it implemented so well in a game as it shows in that trailer. That is original in a 3rd person shooter, as I have not seen this done before.

Terminator aside and that dreadful arcade machine 'Mechanised Attack'. I havn't seen human looking robots (or androids) in any other game over the years. I still think this is a fresh approach at a sci-fi genre. I think I may enjoy it. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Feb 2012 08:47:12 GMT
Last edited by the author on 6 Feb 2012 08:47:29 GMT
"Terminator aside and that dreadful arcade machine 'Mechanised Attack'. I havn't seen human looking robots (or androids) in any other game over the years."

Off the top of my head, Jack from Tekken, Megaman, Bomberman, that clockwork woman from Soul Calibre 4, the 3 cyborg ninjas in Mortal Kombat, the guy you get the special plasma rifle off in Fallout 3 and the co-op protaganists in Portal 2.

I'm sure there's plenty more, not trying to rag on the game or anything, I'll wait and see what the final product is like but it's in no way a original idea.

Posted on 6 Feb 2012 08:56:12 GMT
Trigger says:
You know what would be an original idea? An artificially intelligent supercomputer which tries to kill people. Maybe even take over the world.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Feb 2012 09:16:20 GMT
RAB says:
A few of the CIS droids in the Star Wars Battlefront/various Clone War-era games?

Posted on 6 Feb 2012 10:33:53 GMT
Solar Fox says:
Jack from Tekken? BD has these human looking robots as the main feature of the game. Their involvment in the story is substantial. Jack 2 etc.. was a beat em up with little thought or depth drawn to the future aspect of human looking robots. BD is original in a VG as the basis of the story. Hope that helps clear things up.

Posted on 6 Feb 2012 12:01:45 GMT
Trigger says:
I don't think BD's overall premise is even slightly original, but if they can do good characterisation and inject some of the 'who can you trust?' paranoia as seen in Blade Runner or, say, the short story Second Variety (also by Philip K. D!ck) then I think it'll be notable when measured against other videogames. But yeah; overall the premise is very established in sci-fi in other mediums.

Posted on 6 Feb 2012 12:40:30 GMT
Solar Fox says:
Agreed Tel. In other mediums.

As a VG it is different. This is a refreshing change of theme. I havn't seen any other games promote this outlook on the future. In a film it would be highly unoriginal, in a VG i would say original. Based on it's story led theme. It's a third person shooter, granted. But a nice change of story and gameplay elements for a tps. I like the look of this. Good quality graphics and textures and it seems to run very fluidly. I could be a bad game, but for now I have high hopes.

Posted on 6 Feb 2012 12:41:06 GMT
Cerberus says:
From the few trailers I've seen why didn't they just do a Ghost in the Shell game as t looks to be copying bits and pieces for the tv series. One to keep an eye on for sure though.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 16 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the video games discussion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Bloodborne 1084 13 minutes ago
Nintendo Thread Part 3 "Get N or get out" 4912 33 minutes ago
Destiny 3152 45 minutes ago
Wednesday PS3 Gaming night 8692 46 minutes ago
Platini's Fifth Official Amazon Football Thread - Post Fergie Number 1 7389 2 hours ago
Battlefront gameplay - get it watched before EA take it down! 4 2 hours ago
Batman Arkham Knight 455 3 hours ago
Assassins Creed Black Flag? 9 3 hours ago
Tom Clancey's The Division 53 3 hours ago
Cheap Games! 4127 3 hours ago
The last of us 2 is coming - Nolan North leaks 27 3 hours ago
Fallout 4 300 4 hours ago

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  32
Total posts:  381
Initial post:  31 Dec 2011
Latest post:  27 Jun 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions