Customer Discussions > video games discussion forum

Rentals and Online Passes

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 88 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 4 Oct 2011 14:59:05 BDT
ryanh_666 says:
Has anybody had any experience of renting a game that operates an online pass system? I'm wondering if the likes of lovefilm or blockbuster have a deal enabling rental copies to use the online portion of a game without the player needing a pass.

Without getting into the whole pass argument I can understand (sort of) why games are coming with a pass, giving the devs/publishers a slice of second hand sales. Rental copies don't cost companies £40 though, they pay hundreds per disk to rent a game out, so surely they should have extra passes not one per copy?

The most recent example I can think of is Resistance 3, anyone rented it from lovefilm? Could you play online or were you still expected to buy a pass?

Thanks RATS.

Posted on 4 Oct 2011 15:04:32 BDT
Generally speaking you'll have to buy a separate online pass to play your rental copy online

Homefront was actually really good in this (and no other) regard, allowing you to play up to level 5 online before activating the pass - perfect for rentals. More games should work like this IMO, but none that I know of have as yet

Posted on 4 Oct 2011 15:08:01 BDT
I think R3 didn't have any trial of the online modes. Pretty fail there.

Most EA games give you two days per account to try out the online features don't they?

Posted on 4 Oct 2011 15:08:20 BDT
Some games like Mortal Kombat gave you 48 hours access (and i think it was done by your gamertag/PSN account and not by the actual copy

Posted on 4 Oct 2011 15:09:43 BDT
Hmm, didn't know about the 48 hour trials thing. That's actually not too bad

Posted on 4 Oct 2011 15:13:20 BDT
apart from stuff like that developers wont bend over to help you with the rental/pass problem they hate the rental market !! .. probably more than the 2nd hand

Posted on 4 Oct 2011 15:25:43 BDT
MF says:
I think need for speed hp allows you to play online for 48 hous before purchasing a pass

Posted on 4 Oct 2011 15:32:14 BDT
ryanh_666 says:
cheers for the answers guys. The 48 hour/2 day trial thing seems like a fair way to do it. they cant expect you to pay for online without first trying it surely.

I was wondering because it was announced the other day that Uncharted 3 will have a pass and thats currently on my lovefilm list rather than one I will be buying.

Do they really hate the rental market? surely it brings them more money than the second hand market. like I said originally, games purchased for rental cost hundreds, and some people use rental to trial games and will then go out and buy.

Posted on 4 Oct 2011 16:43:31 BDT
Ryanh, do you have PS+ by any chance? You can try out the Uncharted 3 Multiplayer this week, just incase the rental doesnt have 48 hour access

Posted on 4 Oct 2011 16:59:55 BDT
ryanh_666 says:
I do kai and that is a very good point, but,

*Uncharted 3 spoiler*

Uncharted 3 has 2 or 3 online trophies for simply playing this and that game mode. How many people will fall short of the platinum because they either bought second hand or rented and didnt want to buy a pass just to play a few games.

Personally I would have used my rental to try online as well as campain and if i liked it and saw replay value would have then picked up a copy.

Im torn really. I like naughty dog and have played and enjoyed both previous Uncharted games, but I dont really agree with the trend of online passes. Also, U2 only gave me a few hours of entertainment online, so I probably wont buy a pass.

I will try the demo though, this could change my mind.

Posted on 4 Oct 2011 17:17:27 BDT
You might be lucky and receive a copy with the pass still intact

Posted on 4 Oct 2011 22:11:58 BDT
ryanh_666 says:
This is true. Another option is to buy the online pass off eBay for a few quid.

I had a look on lovefilm reviews for resistance 3,there were people complaining about the online pass so it looks like you don't get 1 with lovefilm rentals.

Posted on 24 May 2012 13:53:19 BDT
Last edited by the author on 24 May 2012 13:54:25 BDT
I can see everybody's point but I just rented Kingdoms of aamular rekoning and for the house of valor portion of the game you have to activate the pass but I rented it from lovefilm so the pass would have costed me and at the minute I have no internet so if this happens in more rpgs and such its going to be a shame and unfourtunate to for people who just enjoy playing the campaigns

Posted on 24 May 2012 14:20:51 BDT
EA love this kind of thing. you buy the game, they make money, you rent it, they make money.
whole thing is scam and ruins games for me. some games i only buy for trophies, others i want to get 100% so it makes my list look 'tidy'. i really want to play uncharted 3 but based on 1 and 2 i know i will complete it on all modes and never play it again. why should i pay £7 to get 2 trophies? sounds like EA's scheme of charging you for a trophy. for example burnout paradise, it had 4oish trophies for plat, but then another 40 from DLC. i worked out it would cost £50 to get the game to 100%. slightly off topic by compaing paid DLC to online passes but i find the whole thing very unfair. if you cant afford a game, you rent it. that could cost around £5. if you want to go online you would need to pay another £7. wait long enough and you could buy the game brand new! just a big no for me and it seems like the start of the end of rentals.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 May 2012 14:27:01 BDT
"you buy the game, they make money, you rent it, they make money.
whole thing is scam"

Yes dam companies for trying to make money off their products.

"i really want to play uncharted 3 but based on 1 and 2 i know i will complete it on all modes and never play it again. "

So you're not going to buy a game because you'll complete every aspect of it. Bit of a logical reasoning fail there.

"why should i pay £7 to get 2 trophies?"

Because you want them and think it's value for money, if not don't buy them.

"if you cant afford a game, you rent it. that could cost around £5. if you want to go online you would need to pay another £7. wait long enough and you could buy the game brand new!"

Then wait and buy it when the price drops, no-ones forcing you to get it at release.

Posted on 24 May 2012 14:32:28 BDT
ryanh_666 says:
Wow i started this ages ago! Seems in the 6 months or so since it has gone from the odd game having an online pass to most of them!

Posted on 24 May 2012 15:02:30 BDT
Nicely summed up Andy.

"for example burnout paradise, it had 4oish trophies for plat, but then another 40 from DLC. i worked out it would cost £50 to get the game to 100%."

Does DLC trophies count towards 100% if you haven't bought them on Paradise City?

Having a 24/48 online trial is a pretty good idea. I would have thought it means the online game swims or sinks on how good it is. If good then people would pay, if bad then less would pay. It might encourage devs/publishers to produce good online play rather than tacked on MPs.

Posted on 24 May 2012 15:06:39 BDT
andy its all well you saying that but why should we pay more for something which started out to be free and now its being incoorpareted into the fun aspects of games its all well saying "wait until the price drops" but by the time you have paid £7 for your online pass then DLC say another £9 or if you ahve brought 5 games for £20 each then you have to buy the online passes so all in all that costs £135 pounds and say you have XBL £4 a month nearly £140 so thats an extra £40 quid for what things that used to be free on games anyways its a joke

Posted on 24 May 2012 15:10:58 BDT
Last edited by the author on 24 May 2012 15:23:36 BDT
martytarty says:
I can't blame these games companies for introducing an online pass system, it makes sense, a free trial for online or a level system like homefront is a good idea.

DLC winds me up, take Forza 4, Fifa 12 and COD, you could buy the same game twice over after buying all DLC, how about you give me the whole game for £40

I buy the occasional DLC if it's a game I really really like but usually avoid it, in my opinion all this DLC is getting over the top and costing too much money, I know it's a method that games companies use so you keep the game for longer and make even more money rather than trade in after 2 weeks.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 May 2012 15:19:00 BDT
RAB says:
But if you buy games new you don't have to pay for an online pass. And new games tend to drop in price just as quickly as used ones nowadays.

Punctuation's free by the way.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 May 2012 15:21:35 BDT
Oh no, I have to pay for products I want.

TBH you just sound like a whiny little kid haveing a whinge because you can't get all the toys you want. Never mind that the cost of buying a new game hasn't changed in over a decade (can you name 1 other product, just 1 that's the same) and in fact with how quickly games reduce in prices gaming's at the cheapest it's ever been. Oh lets just ignore all that because you want more, I guess the devs should be paying YOU to play their games shouldn't they. Unreasonable barstewards for wanting to make a bit of money for their effort.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 May 2012 15:26:00 BDT
If you wait for the price to drop you can buy it new for £15 and the online pass will be included. Wait a bit longer and you can get the GOTY for £20 and everything is included. I think it's all about choice, and like much in life you pay for your choices. I don't agree with how ME3 went about things concerning the initial DLC but in general you don't have to buy any of the DLC. Like you don't have to have XBL. You make a rational decision about whether you want it, whether you're willing to pay that price and then weigh it up.
Sure maybe it used to be free but then the market changed and so the publishers are adapting. I'm sure in a years time the state of play now won't be the same because we're all feeling our way (including the publishers) trying to see what works best.

Posted on 24 May 2012 15:26:20 BDT
Im not a "whiney kid" it just annoys me that you have to pay more money to access different area's/modes on a product which should be free on "the full game" so next time you rant at me thinking that I'm just a whiney kid think again im just another comsumer peace and love :)

In reply to an earlier post on 24 May 2012 15:28:45 BDT
"I guess the devs should be paying YOU to play their games shouldn't they. "

Ah yes, my dream job.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 May 2012 15:29:19 BDT
RAB says:
I hear IGN have an opening....
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the video games discussion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Off Topic - good TV shows 1276 6 minutes ago
Name and shame your gaming backlog 576 7 minutes ago
E3 2015 116 9 minutes ago
Bloodborne 510 10 minutes ago
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt 372 19 minutes ago
Upcoming Games - 2014 / 2015 Edition. 3157 33 minutes ago
Platini's Fifth Official Amazon Football Thread - Post Fergie Number 1 6710 37 minutes ago
Destiny 2642 46 minutes ago
Nintendo Thread Part 3 "Get N or get out" 3965 49 minutes ago
What Are You Currently Playing Part 6: "DAT PERFECT..." Edition 3124 12 hours ago
Wednesday PS3 Gaming night 8555 14 hours ago
It's The Fighting Game Thread! 696 15 hours ago

This discussion

Participants:  25
Total posts:  88
Initial post:  4 Oct 2011
Latest post:  12 May 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions