Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > video games discussion forum

Waaaay OT - Online Selling

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 10 Apr 2012 16:07:19 BDT
Has anyone sold stuff online through Amazon, eBay etc is there a better one out of them all - e.g. hitting an audience which will pay more or having less charges to pay ?
Have tried reading the terms and that jazz on the sites but can't really make heads or tails of if there's much of a difference.
Any advice/info/help with the two sites or any others which are good would be appreciated =)

Posted on 10 Apr 2012 16:17:45 BDT
AndyBSG says:
If you're selling something for a set price then i'd say Amazon is better than Ebay. The charges on Ebay are atrocious as they sting you once for actually selling on Ebay then again if you take the payment through Paypal.... Even though they're both the same company!

Posted on 10 Apr 2012 16:22:29 BDT
MajPanik says:
Well Ebay (I found) was an absolute sham!!

Bike worth £650, wanted at least £450 but needed quick sale (dont ask! i'm still gutted), any extra small options they charge you for just to post it up. I finally had to sell at the close of the auction for £398. Then because I used paypal, paypal themselves took a cut and a month later ebay sent an invoice for £40 (10%) having down the square root of ........ all I found it rather annoying to be frank. In total I lost the best part of £85!!

I have no idea how Amazon operate so I'll leave that to someone else!

Posted on 10 Apr 2012 16:23:49 BDT
Last edited by the author on 10 Apr 2012 16:30:51 BDT
ShotoTiggs says:
I have sold on both in the past and personally I preferred Amazon. With eBay if you have an item in demand you may get more money, but I think the fees are higher and you have to wait for the auction to end and go to the trouble of putting it up there in the first place then wait for the payment to come in. Then, as Ian says, Paypal take their cut.

With Amazon you find the item on their site you want to sell, pick a condition, a price and put up a line about anything you want to mention. Amazon then email you when it's purchased which can be the next day or three weeks later. They send the money to your account every two weeks. If I remember rightly, the money goes as a credit on amazon so if you use amazon a lot you'll get a discount on your next purchase; you can ask for the money to be sent your bank when it hits a certain amount, I think, but it's not where it goes by default. Much like eBay; the funds there go into your Paypal account first. It's been a while since I did it though so that may be wrong or changed. Amazon also dictate the postage but they add it on to your fee so every so often you get more than the asking price, or lose very little. Their postage costs are also quite generous.

I'd go with Amazon. Either way you'll be in a line at the Post Office for ages with loads of packages. :)

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Apr 2012 16:28:13 BDT
I'm not sure how much of a cut Amazon take but when you list the item it tells you what you'll get paid from the sale (ie list a game for £20 and it'll say something like your cut £16 <- figure made up) so you know how much you're getting. You don't pay anything until it's sold then 'zon take a cut of what they pay you, no invoices coming later to pay etc. You don't get to decide on postage rates though, 'zon just add a set amount for the specific item but in my experience (only sold games) it more than covers your costs.

You don't get your money until 2 weeks after the sale though, 'zon hold it in case there's a problem and the buyer wants a refund etc. After the 2 weeks is up you request a transfer and they put it straight into your bank account. If you don't request a transfer 2 weeks after that (4 weeks after the sale) they automatically put the money into your account.

Posted on 10 Apr 2012 17:05:44 BDT
Cheers, thanks for the info peeps =)
It's a tough call, Amazon def seems the better option for not being royally ripped off - but *sigh* after a long time coming I'm planning on selling my Pokemon cards (sad day, a chapter will close) which seem to make a HELLUVA lot more on eBay along with other stuff (old games, comics).
Maybe just have to pick and choose depending on the item, seems like a sensible option.

I haven't got a paypal account - is it best to get one, easier to have one ?

Posted on 10 Apr 2012 21:29:19 BDT
ShotoTiggs says:
for something collectible like that I'd go for eBay. A lot of people prefer to pay by Paypal and you won't pay any international charges for changing currency. It's free anyway so you won't go far wrong; you just tie it to your bank account. Any profit sits in your Paypal account you can then either use to buy stuff from eBay or other online sites that use it, or you can have it transferred to your bank although I think there's a minimum amount. The downside is they take a cut so it'll reduce your profit a bit.

Posted on 10 Apr 2012 21:45:04 BDT
Defo thought eBay would be the better for selling cards and that - some are at over 100 quid (some people obv have too much money and I'd be more than happy to cash in on that xD)

Arrrgh all the figures are mind numbing lol
eBay charge £1 to list (dependent on start price) and then 10% of final cost, or for putting a reserve on an item the fee to advertise starts at £1 with 3% of reserve price, then the 10% selling price and then PayPal take 3.4% and 20p.
So if had a reserve of £50 and sold at 100, eBay would take £12.50 and then PayPal £3.60 OUCH 16 quid off - thieving bar stewards !!! haha
Still I guess it's less than tax.... o.o
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the video games discussion forum

This discussion

Participants:  5
Total posts:  8
Initial post:  10 Apr 2012
Latest post:  10 Apr 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions