Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle  Learn more Countdown to Prime Day Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > video games discussion forum

Handheld advice

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-23 of 23 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 21 May 2012 14:26:56 BDT
Last edited by the author on 21 May 2012 14:27:36 BDT
Bunga says:
Hello gents and ladies.

Long story short, I've found of late that I have less and less time to game in the evenings and weekends and I'm beginning to get a bit twitchy!

So I've had a bit of a think and realised I could potentially get some good use out of a handheld on my rather lengthy commute to/from work. Now then, I haven't had or even looked at a handheld since the gameboy colour and really don't know where to start!

I'm after proper games, I'm not talking Angry Birds here. I'd be after games of substance. Like console games brought to handheld rather than the type of thing you'd find on the app store for iPhone.

From what I can see, the Vita has the best graphics but the DS has a much better catalogue of games (but that may be because the Vita isn't that old in comparison? *shrug*)

Any thoughts welcome and appreciated!

Posted on 21 May 2012 14:46:37 BDT
Last edited by the author on 21 May 2012 14:48:12 BDT
Id say the Vita is for you but there isnt many games out for it yet, there some cool stuff already like Uncharted, Wipeout, Mortal Kombat, Rayman Origins etc and soon a resistance game with full MP and also there's Gravity Rush which is suppose to be ace. After E3 there is suppose to be alot more games announced hopefully.

You wont find a better 'Console in your hands' experience :)

In reply to an earlier post on 21 May 2012 15:04:10 BDT
Last edited by the author on 21 May 2012 16:08:45 BDT
Nessy says:
Im getting a Vita Alan but im waiting for E3 (June 4th), just incase it price drops over here (i think it will 100% in Japan).

Keep your eyes on here for one, they were doing a Wi Fi Vita, free 4GB Memory Card and one game out of a choice of 7 for £200 last week but it is now up to £210.

The 3DS is really fun, it's a lot cheaper at £130 and games like Mario Land, Mario Kart, Resident Evil: Revelations, Kid Icarus & Mario Tennis rival anything on Sony's handheld, it's all about personal taste at the end of the day, considering your a PC gamer i would imagine a PSV would be more up your 'high end' street tho ;).

Posted on 21 May 2012 15:08:58 BDT
G. Hanks says:
From what I've seen the Vita is very much like the PS3 so if you want more of the big hits like Wipeout and Uncharted then that's the way forward.

Personally however I've got nothing but praise for the DS lite. If you love your RPGs and things done a bit differently from what you'd get on the 360/PS3 then I'd suggest it for the sake of variety as much as anything else. If you want FPS's, TPS's and all the bells and whistles of the modern generation (ie: audio/visuals) go PSVita.

I'd vote for DS Lite over 3DS though. Longer battery life, can play import games etc. The first Nintendo handheld that I really feel got everything right.

Posted on 21 May 2012 23:02:16 BDT
djburty says:
the vita, with its dual analogue sticks, makes it feel more like a home console than anything else on the market and the games are ace - however, the DS has some cracking games and certainly has the edge on rpgs at the moment - although, the vita can access psp rpgs, which i think helps widen its appeal.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 May 2012 00:38:56 BDT
A Portal Gun says:
E3 is June 5-7 Ness! You of all people should know that!

Posted on 22 May 2012 09:07:25 BDT
Bunga says:
I had another look last night and noted that, as burty points out, the DS has a cracking selection of RPG's and there really doesn't appear to be anything of the sort for Vita (yet). When you say the Vita can access the PSP RPG's, how does this work exactly?

Posted on 22 May 2012 09:11:49 BDT
Last edited by the author on 22 May 2012 09:18:57 BDT
John morris says:
I would buy a 3ds as it plays all the original Ds games as well,also there is a large catalogue of downloadable content as well.

There are some pretty awesome rpg's on the original Ds,which as I said will play on the newer 3ds handheld.

Posted on 22 May 2012 09:15:29 BDT
Loving Disgaea 3 on VITA at the mo.
The Vita can connect to the Playstation Network, allowing you to purchase and download a large library of PSP games direct to play on the VITA.
Make sure however you invest in a decent sized memory card, as it can fill up quick!

Posted on 22 May 2012 09:17:24 BDT
Although saying that, i LOVE professor Layton...
Wish they did a VITA version with puzzles using front and back touch screen, tilt controls, Augmented reality etc. :/

Posted on 22 May 2012 09:22:13 BDT
Bunga says:
At the moment, it's looking like the 3DS for me (thanks John for clarifying it's backward compatible with DS games). The catalogue of games is hard to ignore for a more immediate start to enjoyment.

However, the Vita has a lot of potential and I read about even Bioshock being ported over to it. I have a feeling that if developers take to it, the Vita would be the best choice in the long run for what I'm after but at the moment the guts of £300 is hard to justify on something which has so few games?

In reply to an earlier post on 22 May 2012 09:23:54 BDT
John was describing the Vita, not the 3ds

Posted on 22 May 2012 09:30:36 BDT
It's an interesting discussion. The VITA may not have such a large selection, however the games are not just pick up and play for 10 minutes style games, they are games with re-play value, length and depth (well some of them are!).
They'll last you a decent length of time. So there maybe only 30 games or so available at present, but how many can you play at once?!
I've had 4 games since launch day, only platinumed Uncharted, and played on it almost every day. Rayman is huge, Lumines is addictive, and Disgaea is very time sapping!
I also download and watch movies on my VITA, mp3s, use it store and view photos. It's a very versatile device that is amazing at games, and pretty good at a lot of other things too!

I'd have to agree with the strengths of the DS lite too however, the battery seems to last forever, and an R4 card is just the icing on the cake. However, it does seem like very old tech nowadays...

Posted on 22 May 2012 10:10:41 BDT
AdamD says:
before you make any decisions, check out 'gravity rush' this game made me buy a vita :)
but wait for E3 and see what announcements they make for 3ds and ps vita as the games they put up maybe the deciding factor and you may come to regret your decision, in the mean time learn as much as you can about each.

happy browsing :)

Posted on 22 May 2012 10:18:10 BDT
djburty says:
"and I read about even Bioshock being ported over to it."

bioshock is not being ported over - they are developing a brand new exclusive vita game in the bioshock series - according to an interview in OPM this month anyway.

"the guts of £300 is hard to justify on something which has so few games? "

it has a fair few games - at least 20 on physical memory (see the vita thread) and several more on psn download. however, if you add in the psp games then it has loads :)

i currently play a mixture of psp games and vita games as i love my retro rpgs. i specifically love the 3 persona games, white knight chronicles origins, the ys games, FFIV complete collection, valkyria chronicles 2, monster hunter freedom unite, phantom brave, breath of fire 3 and trails in the skies.

Posted on 22 May 2012 13:57:42 BDT
John morris says:
When you buy the 3ds make sure you get a copy of mario kart 7 it's awesome,also resident evil revelations is pretty good as well.

Posted on 22 May 2012 13:59:46 BDT
AdamD says:
by the way does the 3ds have online multiplayer?

In reply to an earlier post on 22 May 2012 14:09:15 BDT
Last edited by the author on 22 May 2012 14:11:14 BDT
Nessy says:
Sony, Microsoft, Ubisoft and EA's press conferences are on Monday June 4th :p.

Alan, i would wait for E3 before you decide, we could (altho i doubt it) see a 3DS redesign with dual analogue sticks, better 3D and smaller, lighter design and a PSV price cut, you will also have a lot better understanding of which handheld you want when you know what games are coming to it in late 2012 / 2013.

If you like RPG's, Fire Emblem, Kingdom Hearts and Monster Hunter are all out in Japan for 3DS just now and should be out here in late 2012 with new Zelda and Pokemon 3DS exclusives in 2013.

Posted on 22 May 2012 14:41:57 BDT
Nessy.. i sold my 3DS way back, im just waiting for that dual analogue announcement, ill be straight there!

In reply to an earlier post on 22 May 2012 14:47:39 BDT
Nessy says:
I don't think they will tbh with you.

They will have hands full getting as many WiiU's built for a worldwide release in Oct / Nov, all their rented / owned production factories will be working 100% on that hardware shortly after E3.

I think it will be E3 2013 when we see the 3DS redesign.

Posted on 22 May 2012 16:38:28 BDT
Last edited by the author on 22 May 2012 16:41:33 BDT
John morris says:
Adam,

the 3ds does have online multiplayer suppport,I have been playing Mario kart 7 online and it's very good indeed.

Posted on 22 May 2012 19:53:36 BDT
AdamD says:
cool thanks

In reply to an earlier post on 22 May 2012 20:09:37 BDT
A Portal Gun says:
Oh well that's cool, I thought I'd be working for the Ninty conference but if it's Tuesday then I'm off. W00t!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the video games discussion forum

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  10
Total posts:  23
Initial post:  21 May 2012
Latest post:  22 May 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions