Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > video games discussion forum

NVIDIA wields the axe, cuts GeForce GTX 580 pricing...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-23 of 23 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 13 Mar 2012 10:32:40 GMT
Dela says:
http://hexus.net/tech/news/graphics/36417-nvidia-wields-axe-cuts-geforce-gtx-580-pricing/

"Rumour has it NVIDIA's next-generation GeForce GTX 680 is now close to making its debut. Folks who put faith in what they hear on the grapevine may be led to believe the card will make an official appearance before the end of the month.

NVIDIA's yet to substantiate any such rumour, but a couple of UK retailers are beginning to drop subtle hints by slashing the price of the soon-to-be-last-generation GeForce GTX 580.

The card is still thunderously fast and is now available with prices starting at £299.99 - representing a near-15 per cent drop. Shop around and it appears the price cuts are filtering through to various retailers, and it isn't limited to just the single top-end SKU. The cost of the GeForce GTX 570 has also fallen to under £235 and the limited-edition GeForce GTX 560 Ti 448 can now be had for under £190 at Scan.co.uk.

Healthy cuts all round, but these perceived bargains do carry one big proviso; they suggest that the new-and-improved GeForce GTX 600 series is imminent."

Great time to upgrade when prices are this good... Or wait for GTX600's?...

Posted on 13 Mar 2012 10:36:07 GMT
Dela says:
Another related story about the GTX600 series:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/nvidia-epic-samaritan-kepler-fermi,news-38000.html

"Nvidia Hints That Kepler is 3x Faster Than Fermi

Nvidia is building up some excitement for its Kepler-based graphics cards just ahead of their anticipated launch.

ZoomNvidia's upcoming Kepler recently ran Epic's Samaritan demo, which was developed to showcase Unreal Engine 3 and the potential video game graphics technology in future video games. This specific demo, which took place last week at GDC, did not employ the usual triple GTX 580 (Fermi) configuration, but ran based on a single Kepler-based graphics chip. It was unclear which Kepler chip was used, but Nvidia's note clearly suggests that we should anticipate Kepler being about three times faster than Fermi, at least in some applications.

"Although no further information on Kepler was given, the demo sent a clear message: the graphics in Samaritan, generally regarded as a glimpse of the gaming industry's far-off future, will in fact be possible in the near future on PC systems running a single next-generation graphics card," Nvidia wrote. The demo also showed Nvidia's proprietary Fast Approximate Anti-Aliasing (FXAA) technology, which builds on top of Multisample Anti-Aliasing (MSAA), "the form of anti-aliasing most commonly seen in today's games."

the rumor mill is adding bits and pieces every day. For example, Fudzilla recently reported that the GK104 Kepler chip may be faster than AMD's Radeon HD 7970, which suggests that Nvidia has a shot at gaining the lead in this battle. There are even some early product shots of Kepler cards to keep the early traction for Nvidia going. Of course, rumors will help Nvidia so much. Next month, Nvidia will have to prove whether the early praise was justified or not."

Think I'll wait for these actually...

Posted on 13 Mar 2012 10:40:48 GMT
TS says:
Interesting... is this the time to get a second one and run SLI? Hmm...

Posted on 13 Mar 2012 10:42:06 GMT
Muzz says:
Awesome, was looking at getting a 550ti for sub £100, but might wait an see how far the 560 price drops over the next few months.
Would love the 580, but funds a bit low for that considering I'm looking to get a new mobo and cpu this year as well.

Posted on 13 Mar 2012 10:44:16 GMT
Dela says:
This is before Kepler has been released... Wait until kepler hit the shelves, they gotta fall even further...

Posted on 13 Mar 2012 14:03:59 GMT
Nessy says:
Even in two years time, the 580 will still be an abso beast of a GPU and it will prob be available for £100 :).

If a 590 is two 580's on a single card what will the 680 be ?.

Posted on 13 Mar 2012 17:02:56 GMT
Mike D says:
Interesting post. Nice one. Currently I'm running SLI 570, but over the next year I may upgrade to a single 680.

Posted on 13 Mar 2012 17:24:53 GMT
Dela says:
That what I'm looking at too, Mike... If they are 3 x faster it would make sense to go for a single 680 as it potentially will be running equivilant to 3 x 580's in SLI (in fact, running faster, as SLI doesn't increase peformance by 100% per extra card, more 50 - 75%)... Also minimum fps is usually higher on a single card compared to an equivilant SLI set up...

I have a niggling feeling that I may even go for a pair of GTX 680's in SLI... I hate empty slots on my mobo...

Credit cards FTW...

Posted on 13 Mar 2012 17:25:43 GMT
Nessy says:
"I have a niggling feeling that I may even go for a pair of GTX 680's in SLI... I hate empty slots on my mobo..."

LOL !, at least you want need to have the heating on ;).

Posted on 13 Mar 2012 17:27:25 GMT
Dela says:
Built-in BBQ with en-suite sauna...

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Mar 2012 18:22:59 GMT
"If a 590 is two 580's on a single card what will the 680 be ?."

The 590 is still a Fermi chip and still classed as last gen when compared to Kepler, The 6 series are Kepler which is smaller and have a different architecture to Fermi which is why its way more powerful so the 6 series wont need two GPU's to compete with a 590 or any other Fermi card but expect a double GPU card later on in a few years with the Keplar which should blow your mind. I hope i have explained this that makes sense because i don't know how else to describe it. if you google some Nvidia charts you will see the roadmap for Nvidia GPU's and when they plan to release them and how much power they will have, the Kepler Chips almost double the power compared to Fermi which is pretty amazing. Exciting times ahead nessy if we have the cash to buy them and Developers take advantage of the raw power of the next gen GPU (in other words a new crysis to test the power of the new gen cards)

Posted on 13 Mar 2012 18:28:11 GMT
Nessy says:
Cheers Jack, informative as usual :).

Posted on 13 Mar 2012 18:44:16 GMT
Dela says:
I've never really 'got' the GTX 590 TBH... It is two UNDERCLOCKED GTX 580's... Benchmarks show its equivilant to 570's in SLI...

But two 570's are cheaper than a 590...

And two 580's in SLI beat the lot...

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Mar 2012 18:45:20 GMT
Nick says:
I'm not really sure what this means.... what about two 590's? ;O

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Mar 2012 18:55:49 GMT
Last edited by the author on 13 Mar 2012 18:55:59 GMT
Nessy says:
May well be wrong but i don't think you can run dual 590's Nicholas, also that would be £1600 just for your GPU's lol !.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Mar 2012 19:10:28 GMT
Nick says:
£1600!?!? That's a lot lol! How much will the new Kipler's be (I think that's what there called; the 'next gen' ones)

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Mar 2012 20:05:31 GMT
Nessy says:
You can prob get them a lot cheaper than £800 Nicholas but thats the price of a single GTX 590 last time i checked on here.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Mar 2012 20:17:21 GMT
Nick says:
Fair enough. I still think that is a lot of money for what it is!

Posted on 13 Mar 2012 21:13:16 GMT
I'm very ignorant in this area but do you need the same type of cards to run them in SLI. So 2 560 TIs, or can you have a 570 and a 580 for example?

Also running in sli do you need a more dedicated cooling system?

Posted on 13 Mar 2012 21:28:45 GMT
Dela says:
You need two of the same card for SLI configuration... If one of them is standard clock and the other factory overclocked they will both run at the lower of the two cards clock speed...

I would deffo recommend a greater cooling system than your average case... I upgraded to a Silverstone Fortress FT02-W (review on here if you want to have a nose) after my other case was causing BSOD due to insufficent cooling...

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Mar 2012 23:16:04 GMT
Last edited by the author on 13 Mar 2012 23:19:00 GMT
"May well be wrong but i don't think you can run dual 590's Nicholas, also that would be £1600 just for your GPU's lol !."

Sorry ness but not true, A 590 can be SLI'd but only with one more, Remember there is 2 GPU's in one Card and the maximum games and applications in home systems can use because of software/hardware limitations is 4GPU's (Developers and Nvidia will have the tools to experiment with more obviously). So essentially 2 590's are 4 GPU's. If you have 4 580's in SLI they will or may be far to much for even an overclocked i5/i7 to keep up with, ending in the possibility that your Processor will be a bottleneck which would cause problems. However some single GPU cards don't allow 4 way SLI, Some offer 3 and only 2 way, some old cards or low budget cards don't offer any SLI. the 580 is compatible with 4 way SLI, and after reading a review about them they go on to say that the machine with these four cards are unable to stretch their legs due to the bottleneck the processor is causing you just have to look on the net for the info about them. In other words why spend all that money when their is absolutely nothing out there that could even utilize the power with 4 cards but while running this your losing in the long run, because the machine is just going to cause more heat/power consumption for the same performance you could get with 2 of the cards. Just do what i do Ness leave the 4 way SLI path to the big head elitists who love wasting their money while we sit back enjoying the games at a nice visual setting while saving our cash for rainy days.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Mar 2012 23:21:48 GMT
"You need two of the same card for SLI configuration... If one of them is standard clock and the other factory overclocked they will both run at the lower of the two cards clock speed..."

You are right Dela, the other thing people get confused with too is they think that if they SLI two 1.5GB GTX580's they will have 3GB of V RAM, but that is not the case, the cards will still run with the maximum 1.5GB. it doesn't double.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Mar 2012 23:25:40 GMT
"I'm very ignorant in this area but do you need the same type of cards to run them in SLI. So 2 560 TIs, or can you have a 570 and a 580 for example? "

Dela already answered your question but there is a feature that allows you to have a dedicated Physx card, meaning if your Motherboard allows it you could lets say keep your old 560Ti as a Physx card while you use your new 580 for the graphics, so the games that use Physx will just use your 560 for the physx and 580 for graphics resulting in a smoother and faster gaming experience with Physx turned on, because your 580 will never have to use any resources for the Physx.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the video games discussion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Nintendo Thread Part 3 "Get N or get out" 7310 45 minutes ago
stop playing 3 5 hours ago
half a day and no posts 34 11 hours ago
The Official Amazon Football Thread - The Race for Sixth 2053 14 hours ago
What Are You Currently Playing Part 7: A man chooses, a HAW obeys. 5610 14 hours ago
Cheap Games! 4526 16 hours ago
Season passes? 11 17 hours ago
Battlefield 1 93 18 hours ago
Any muppets, clowns..... 24 18 hours ago
Is anyone else attending EGX this year? 3 19 hours ago
XBOX One S 6 19 hours ago
Tom Clancy's The Division 813 20 hours ago

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  8
Total posts:  23
Initial post:  13 Mar 2012
Latest post:  13 Mar 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions