Customer Discussions > video games discussion forum

Crytek to announce 'spectacular' console/PC project in April...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-23 of 23 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 12 Mar 2012 20:00:01 GMT
Dela says:
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/339584/crytek-to-announce-spectacular-consolepc-project-in-april/

"'It's the best of this kind of project we've ever done,' teases Crysis dev

Crysis dev Crytek is set to announce a "spectacular" console/PC game next month, the studio's told CVG.

Speaking in a GDC interview last week, Crytek's GM of games, Nick Button-Brown teased that the soon-to-be-announced game will be unveiled in April and is "the best of that kind of project we've ever done."

The confession came after the developer decided to focus on free-to-play and its first mobile game at the San Francisco event.

"There are so many things I can't talk about," Button-Brown told CVG, stressing that the studio's still dedicated to triple-A development.

"A big part of our business is big budget console and PC games. We are doing all these other things, but they're on top of that and we're doing them because they're interesting.

"We still want to deliver the highest quality that we can, wherever we go," he added. "You know about Homefront, you know about Ryse. We are working on another project... [laughs] all three of which are looking really good."

Pressed for more detail, the games GM continued: "The other project looks absolutely fantastic - I mean, genuinely the best of that kind of project we've ever done.

"It looks spectacular, the team are doing really, really well and it's just really nice to see the team really enthusiastic about what they're doing. They're really happy.

"We're going to carry on doing those games. We like doing mobile games, we like doing free-to-play, but we also like blowing things up in a visually stunning style."

Last month an EA job ad confirmed it's working on a new title with Crytek, following its role as publisher of the first two Crysis games."

People are guessing its Crysis 3... I've got a hunch that Crysis 3 will be a next gen release, so they're hardly going to announce a next gen game before the next gen console has been officially confirmed...

Posted on 12 Mar 2012 20:10:51 GMT
Ness says:
Very interesting, the obvious guess is Crysis 3 as you say but i think it might be a completely new IP. A bit too soon after Crysis 2 for the third IMO.

Interesting that they are revealing it in April to avoid it getting lost in the E3 rush of games.

I think we may see a few other new games do the same in the two months before E3.

Posted on 12 Mar 2012 20:30:50 GMT
RAB says:
Definitely sounds like a new IP, maybe a different kind of game to the FPSs they've currently got?

Posted on 12 Mar 2012 20:48:25 GMT
Last edited by the author on 12 Mar 2012 20:51:37 GMT
"visually stunning style"

He talks about it like it's a possible new IP. Very excited if it is. Would like to see it set in the future and in space please. Maybe take what was left of Star Wars: Battlefield3 and do something different with it. Maybe end the game with two fingers up at George Lucas who is a d i k. Or they're just going to announce that Timesplitters 4 is back in production.

I thought Cryengine is a FPS engine so wouldn't that mean it would probably be set in First Person?

Posted on 12 Mar 2012 20:48:42 GMT
Timesplitters 4 would be a dream come true :)

Posted on 12 Mar 2012 21:18:34 GMT
Solar Fox says:
Definitely agree Hoopla.

I think Crysis 3 should be set in space. It would be the logical progression to the series.

I actually thought Crysis 1 was better than 2. I hope C3 is in the pipeline for this gen or the next, as I did enjoy the tactical, sci-fi gameplay it offered.

Posted on 13 Mar 2012 01:26:06 GMT
I know Crytek have been working on a new PC game called Warface. Maybe they are trying to/ or have been making something similar for consoles?.

Posted on 13 Mar 2012 08:26:05 GMT
R says:
Really looking forward to seeing what Crytek can do with Homefront. Homefront definitely had potential and in the right hands could have been fantastic.

My money is on Crysis 3. It's been a year since Crysis 2 and by the time Crysis 3 is released (assuming it Crysis 3 they announce) it will probably be a spring 2013 release. Just a guess. And although I really enjoyed the Crysis 2 campaign I hope they go back to the more open environments of Crysis 1 for Crysis 3.

Posted on 13 Mar 2012 10:06:47 GMT
TS says:
This to me definitely sound sore like a new IP, it's the way he separates it from the "triple A shooters" that they like to make. I'm interested to see what it'll be, that's for certain.

Posted on 13 Mar 2012 13:54:34 GMT
Ness says:
If it is Crysis 3 then i too hope they return to the originals much more open setting.

Loved Crysis: Warhead and Crysis 2 but they didn't have the same feeling of openness as the original.

Posted on 13 Mar 2012 14:27:53 GMT
Solar Fox says:
Totally agree Nessy. C2 seemed too closed in, and felt restrictive in some ways. Don't get me wrong though, C2 was enjoyable to the very end. But C1 just looked and played better. Due to (as mentioned) that open world feel, and not the view blocking, restrictiveness, of tall buildings in C2.

C1 had more natural environments, and asthetically, pleasing colour pallette. Gameplay wise there is little difference. Great games.

C1 - 85%
C2 - 79%

Imo. :-)

Posted on 13 Mar 2012 15:47:49 GMT
Last edited by the author on 13 Mar 2012 15:48:00 GMT
why haven't they brought crysis warhead out on consoles the same way they did with the original crysis?? crysis was my psn GOTY by a MILE last year, and pretty much GOTY overall, beaten only by skyrim for me personally.

Posted on 13 Mar 2012 16:13:23 GMT
Trigger says:
Crysis was my 2011 GotY and is IMO the best FPS since Half Life 2. Would bloody love a port of Warhead as well, even if it's not as good as the original game.

Posted on 13 Mar 2012 16:29:56 GMT
Crysis was indeed awesome.

Have to say though, after playing through it I was scratching my head thinking "hang on, where's this big open world game I've heard Nessy and a few others mention 1,232,763 times" lol.

It was only open in that you could go anywhere on the island but all missions and objectives were laid out in standard linear form. Go here press this button, defeat wave if enemies, move here, collect x so on and so on. Don't get me wrong I thoroughly enjoyed it and thought it was excellent but I also think crysis 2 made a number of improvements.

First off, levelling up your suit. This added a small RPG touch as you had to decide which power you wanted more, armour or cloak and you had to allocate upgrade points wisely. Nice touch as opposed to crysis 'your a total bad ass from the very first moment' approach. Secondly the tactical options before each fire fight. I loved how you could scout where ammo crates were and pick the best path through a group of enemies and decide where to use cloak and when you were gonna go guns blazing. None of this in crysis. as soon as you stumbled upon a group of enemies your only choice was to cloak up and run past them or start shooting.

Loved crysis 1 & 2 and another installment is most welcome in my eyes.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Mar 2012 17:17:59 GMT
Last edited by the author on 13 Mar 2012 17:19:31 GMT
Ness says:
"Have to say though, after playing through it I was scratching my head thinking "hang on, where's this big open world game I've heard Nessy and a few others mention 1,232,763 times" lol."

Crysis wasn't an open world FPS Wayne, what it was, was much less linear than 95% of shooters, you could go way off the beaten track and find enemy camps and mess around with them using vehicles, suite powers, ect. It wasn't part of the main missions but it was a hell of a lot of fun in 2008 destroying buildings, shooting palm trees down on them ect, all things that really hadn't been seen in a big mainstream game before.

I have read many times on here that Crysis 2 is 'awful' and 'boring' ect and every one is intitled to their own opinion of course but i can only take from this that people tried to play it like a corridor FPS and ran around gun blazzing through the levels as fast as possible.

The Crysis games are intendeed to be played using the suites different powers and planning strategies to take out full camps or towns of enemies, a bit like if you were The Predator ;).

The original Crysis is the greatest FPS ever made imo, altho i never played it for console and im going off a 2008 playthrough, im sure its pretty much the same in everything except the graphics.

Posted on 13 Mar 2012 17:26:07 GMT
Dela says:
"it was a hell of a lot of fun in 2008 destroying buildings, shooting palm trees down on them ect, all things that really hadn't been seen in a big mainstream game before."

It was actually 2007, Ness...

Sorry...

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Mar 2012 17:26:34 GMT
Ness says:
Yeah but i didn't play it until 2008 :p.

Posted on 13 Mar 2012 17:28:43 GMT
Dela says:
Thats your own fault...

Posted on 13 Mar 2012 17:39:29 GMT
Steve says:
You pair remind of the two lads on the muppets. Back and forth back and forth.lol. Btw I am not slagging just gives me a laugh is all.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Mar 2012 17:39:50 GMT
Ness says:
Lol aye, im ashamed i didnt have a £1000 gaming PC in 2007 ;).

Posted on 13 Mar 2012 18:09:52 GMT
Solar Fox says:
Nessy beat me to it again. Types like a secretary during time of the month. ;-)

Crisis 1 allows you to infiltrate enemy encampments, from almost any direction point. I remember, sneaking through trees and undergrowth to sneak into enemy camps. Chopper hovering overhead. Unable to see me from the shielding trees. I navigated through all this to then, sneak into the enemy camps. Using the cloak to go around the huts and computer stations within the campsite. I could have taken a totally different route via a dirt track. But that is the beauty of C1. There is no fixed path and your field of vision is wide. Draw distances are far and also, and allow for the perception of a natural, open world.

C2 was more linear for me, as you only had to follow a road, lined with tall buildings. Use your cloaking device at given times to the next checkpoint. Done. No encampments to infiltrate and explore. Just straight roads mainly, with strategically placed infantry. C2 is still a great game though. After completing it, I don't think I would want to replay it. C1 on the other hand, I can't get enough. :-)

Like Wayne, I too would welcome Crysis 3. No more city environments though please. :-)

Posted on 13 Mar 2012 20:18:31 GMT
Dela says:
Just had a trawl thru the interweb and rumours on this "spectacular" project seem to be split between Crysis 3 (too obvious) or a reboot of Timesplitters...

Posted on 13 Mar 2012 21:21:56 GMT
TS says:
TimeSplitters would be Crytek UK, rather than normal Crytek. I don't think it's that.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the video games discussion forum

This discussion

Participants:  13
Total posts:  23
Initial post:  12 Mar 2012
Latest post:  13 Mar 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions