Customer Discussions > video games discussion forum

2013 in gaming good/bad?? whats you GOTY?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 53 posts in this discussion
Posted on 24 Dec 2013 10:57:08 GMT
The OP mentions one handheld game - Killzone Mercs - a great game and part of a good year for pocket gaming:

Batman Blackgate is trully great imo - mixing the best of 2D metrovania style with the post Arkham Asylum Batman world - with great combat thrown in.

DOA5Plus - I know fighters are not for everyone but this is a Vita landmark in terms of character models, framerate and "big" console experience. Also significant for DOA's development as a proper fighter as it sidelines special finishes and ultimates for one of the most elegant and baletic fight systems of the moment.

A bit cheeky but Persona 4 Golden makes it in the UK at least - I had hardly played any Persona game before but this world of perfect combat, great characters, varied missions and dungeons was mind blowing.

Pokemon X and Y - I am an old git, have zero nostalgia for old Pokemon games and could not care less if people think what I do in my spare time is age appropriate or not - Pokemon XY is elegant combat, good story telling - it moulds itself to what you want from it contstantly giving you more of what you want to do and seamlessly dropping the elements you are less interested in - a marvel of game design.

Posted on 24 Dec 2013 09:31:27 GMT
Agree on both counts. FC Blood a Dragon is a great game - the aesthetics and the soundtrack got the spirit of cheesy 80s action movies spot-on, and the weapons were great. Really enjoyed the missions too

However, it was consistently dark from start to finish and a few more variations in environment wouldn't have gone amiss

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Dec 2013 09:20:04 GMT
kinjoking says:
we do enjoy a good climax ;)

phil- agree with FC:BD, BUT think that towards the middle/end of the game that it was basically so repetitive and the level looked the same everywhere you went kinda spoilt it in some regards, wasnt enough variation in the game to have any sort of lasting appeal. but i would buy a remake of the original when that comes out, as the mechanics of the game worked very well on BD

Posted on 23 Dec 2013 16:58:41 GMT
djburty says:
"3. Tomb Raider - uncharted mixed with hints of skyrim and hints of far cry 3. better than uncharted 3 for me."

agreed - better than uncharted 3 by far - up until the final battle - why oh why do developers just lose the plot when they get to a climax of a game. I had the same issue with so many games - mostly notably half life 2; one of my favourite games ever combined with one of the worse climaxes.

Posted on 23 Dec 2013 15:15:54 GMT
haven't played as many games as a lot of you guys, and have yet to finish TLoU, so......

1. GTA5 - by a MILE. and that's not to say that the below games are bad, it's just that GTA5 is that good, in it's world/it's missions/how much you can do/how brilliantly it all runs on current gen....staggering achievement all round. plus trevor.
2. Motogp 13 - a truly great racing sim with brilliant physics AND brilliant AI. Gran Turismo take note; and i'm a big motogp (as in real life) fan :)
3. Tomb Raider - uncharted mixed with hints of skyrim and hints of far cry 3. better than uncharted 3 for me.
4. Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon - i LOVED FC3 vanilla, so the same gameplay, mixed with humour based on terminator/predator/commando/robocop etc etc is right up my street. absolutely brilliant music too.
5. TLoU - i'm only 27% of the way through, and i like it a lot. it hasn't impressed as much as i thought it would so far, but like i said - only 27% down. once i've completed it, it might rise up through this list?

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Dec 2013 09:11:41 GMT
That's one of the main things that helped ruin the game for me.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Dec 2013 08:59:09 GMT
I didnt find it too easy, that bit at the end on the airship when waves just kept coming at you, drove me mad !!

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Dec 2013 20:12:31 GMT
Dukeshire says:
I really liked the game. I was just left wanting. The game kept giving me the same hints all the way to the very end...letting me know that Elizabeth would throw me items...For me the combat became a bit tedious. I was hoping for more interaction from the NPC's, and the place did not really look as alive as it could have. Overall though, it was well worth playing.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Dec 2013 19:40:49 GMT
Most of those games came out in 2011...

Posted on 22 Dec 2013 16:29:55 GMT
Last edited by the author on 22 Dec 2013 16:31:45 GMT
I have to admit I didn't think of TWD as I kind of associate it with 2012 (I think the last episode came out Nov/Dec). Great game tho'.

@ Dukeshire:
I never really got the criticism that Infinite was too easy. Medium was okay, a good way to enjoy the environment and story, and hardest (1999) setting was a good challenge imo. The powers didn't really bother me because I suppose I felt the same about B1. I never felt forced to use vigors (same with Plasmids) in combat so it was up to me to experiment and just play around with them. And I loved the dimension of jumping from and off skyrails and hooks. Again it wasn't essential because you could probably sit at the back and snipe everybody, which is fine, or you could throw yourself about and mix it up.
To be fair though I sort of let the game experience come to me, if that makes sense. It's why I don't grumble that Infinite has no pipe puzzle or an equivalent to the Big Daddys. (Happy Christmas greetings across the pond btw)
People with a hankering to revisit Rapture should definitely check out the Burial at Sea DLC. It's never looked so amazing. I felt more connected with the underwater city than either B1 and B2. Not just because you can wonder around listening in on people's conversations but also little things like the shadows moving in the glass corridors. It feels like the place is alive. Also the ending brings up sooo many questions that I'm really looking forward to part two.

Posted on 22 Dec 2013 13:08:15 GMT
Have to agree with Mat. Really enjoyed the story of TLOU, but I think The Walking Dead is the pinnacle of game storytelling for me. There are others that do different things well - Bioshock, Shadow Of The Colossus, etc - but the story of Lee and Clem beats Joel and Ellie any day of the week, hands down

Posted on 22 Dec 2013 13:00:42 GMT
Last edited by the author on 22 Dec 2013 13:04:55 GMT
Avatouir says:
"AC4 - The best AC game by far!" Not sure if I quite agree there, though definitely the best one since AC2 (which is imo)
"I thought Infinite was great, but I was left wanting." I have to agree. I guess I was expecting a lot so maybe that's why. I have only played it once and not yet completed it, which is a bad sign for me. I also feel 2012 was a better year over all but my top 10 for this year would be
1. The Last of Us
2. Grand Theft Auto V
3. Tomb Raider
4. Assins Creed IV Black Flag
5. Killzone Shadowfall
6. Dead space 3
7. Bioshock Infinate
8. Batman Arkham Origins
9. Remember me
10.Battlefield 4

Posted on 22 Dec 2013 12:01:59 GMT
Last edited by the author on 22 Dec 2013 12:20:55 GMT
MF says:
For me it boils down to three games.
Bioshock infinite , TLOU and TWD.

Bioshock infinite for me just tops TLOU. But the outright winner for me would be TWD.
Pure brilliance , love the gameplay even though its just point and click -- The story is what did it for me.
Cant believe how much you attach to clementine. If I had to save Ellie or Clem I would choose Clem every time.
Yes TWD does have some issues ( don't all games ) - some frame rate drops and Im not sure how much the choices effect the game overall.

The best episode yet it the latest -- anyone that hasn't played it yet or is waiting ... my advice would be to play it straight away .. unbelievable.

Biggest disappointment - COD ghosts , loved the SP but the MP was the worst yet.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Dec 2013 02:46:56 GMT
Dukeshire says:
I thought Infinite was great, but I was left wanting. It was a bit too easy. The combat got repetitive, and I just felt that more could have been done with the game play, such as when he went down to the workers area. I was hoping for some side missions or for them to rise up, and we work together. I did not use half the powers I got, and sometimes the game just seemed empty.

Sounds like I dislike it, but I don't. It was really good, just flawed.

Posted on 22 Dec 2013 02:43:00 GMT
Dukeshire says:
Last of Us: I loved it.

A close second and gaining (I am about 45 percent done): GTA V

I am digging Diablo III, XCOM: EW...

I need to play Beyond Two Souls, Blacklist, SRIV, Walking Dead Season 2

I need to finish: Dead Space 3, Ni No Kuni, Tomb Raider.

For worst game: Aliens. Just for the sheer hype and then the epic letdown.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Dec 2013 10:14:05 GMT
G. Hanks says:
The Stanley Parable is on my list of games to buy, heard nothing but good things about it and from the trailer it looks like my kind of game.

Posted on 21 Dec 2013 01:30:11 GMT
Last edited by the author on 21 Dec 2013 01:30:34 GMT
Game of the year is always tough. For me Bioshock Infinite is probably one of my games of the gen' let alone the year. I loved the first playthrough, loved the controls and combat (far more than B1), loved the story, and was just flawed by the ending. But for me it really shone on its second playthrough. It gave meaning to doing a second play-through by making such a detailed world and story and having my engagement with it feel deeper because of it. And IMO they made something so completely amazing with Columbia. Having something so beautiful being underpinned by humanities duality for good and evil. It exists in a philosophical way. I also thought the characters of both Booker and Elizabeth really good. Just a work of genius IMO.

Other mentions, TLOU of course. Also all gamers should play The Stanley Parable. This might have been originally released a couple of years ago, so I'm behind the curve, but they released a remastered version with extra stories this year so I'm sticking to that story. But if you haven't played it yet check it out, so so clever.

Posted on 20 Dec 2013 18:01:10 GMT
DragonsGash says:
The walking dead and Thomas was alone.

Would have been batman arkham origins if I hadn't suffered pretty much every glitch that was in there. Corrupted save and the inability to interrogate folk being my personal game breakers. Pah!!!

Posted on 20 Dec 2013 17:29:42 GMT
djburty says:
GOTY - always difficult as there are so many games to choose from - highlights for me:

PS3:
Ni No Kuni - what a beautiful game and you can't beat a welsh fairy :)

Disgaea Dimensions 2 - i need to play more of this, but it is a great disgaea game with even more customisation options.

Tales of Xillia - i like a tales game and it doesn't disappoint.

Vita

sly cooper 4 - brilliant on handheld
killzone mercs - best handheld fps by far
dragon's crown - great sidescrolling rpg
sourcery saga - at last a proper niche jrpg on the vita
tearaway - long awaited and worth it - very well-designed
rainbow moon - better on vita than ps3 due to the save anywhere function

PS4 - too early to say - but remote play is good :)

overall i think i'll say disgaea is probably my favourite game - possibly because i'm a disgaea fanboy, but i think the depth, humour and improved graphics also swing it for me :)

Posted on 20 Dec 2013 16:55:04 GMT
Legend of Zelda a link between worlds is Gamespot's GOTY.
It's under the xmas tree for me, so I hope it's good! :)

Posted on 20 Dec 2013 16:39:47 GMT
G. Hanks says:
Game of the year is a tough one but I think The Last of Us pips it for me, found it superb from start to finish and I was sucked into the narrative, character development and the whole design of the post-apocalyptic world. Really felt like humanity was on the edge.

Bioshock Infinte was an amazing experience too, loved the world, setting, pace and ideas behind it. GTA5 was one of those games that I wasn't massively hyped to start playing but as soon as I did I realised how much I'd missed the GTA series and had a fantastic time.

I'll second Gone Home, great short but sweet game with great storytelling.

Lone Survivor is one of those games that I think has passed under most people's radars but thanks to a recommendation from Tel I picked it up on PS3 and thought it was superb. One of those games that has stuck with me.

Ni No Kuni is probably one of the most aesthetically pleasing games I've ever played and really hooked me from start to finish. I love my Ghibli and this really felt like inhabiting one of their worlds.

Handheld has been pretty good this year, Fire Emblem certainly deserves to be high on anyone's list and I'm having a good time on Etrian Odyssey 4 at the moment even if it's just an expansion of a previous formula, they've really tweaked it to a high quality, well balanced and engaging level.

Posted on 19 Dec 2013 20:54:58 GMT
Bioshock Infinite was a great story, The Last Of Us had a good story (but samey gameplay). Really enjoyed Ni No Kuni and I think The Walking Dead game finished in 2013(?) - fantastic game

Probably a close call between GTA 5 and Minecraft PS3 Edition

Posted on 19 Dec 2013 15:47:12 GMT
Battlefield 4 - PC
GTA5 - 360/PS3
Broken Sword 5 - PC

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Dec 2013 16:27:25 GMT
Last edited by the author on 18 Dec 2013 16:29:08 GMT
IN re to Bioshock I - Try the DLC, its set back in Rapture and you are one again Booker and you have the weapon wheel back all like the original, which was a daft choice for them to make in infinite.

To me The orignal Bioshock is still the best, but the story and the scope of what they attempted makes it one of my GOTY, pity they nerfed the combat a little and never replaced Big Daddies as a challenge.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Dec 2013 09:20:23 GMT
kinjoking says:
characters have to go through a reinvention at some point, just look at lara croft or james bond. obviously the fact that sam is now like 30 compared to his official 3rd/4th echelon BIO from previous games doesnt hold up under scrutiny, but if you want your game to have mass appeal, then having your character keep getting older doesnt bode well for the franchise lol, plus michael aronside will be too old to voice an actor eventually so the change had to be made at some point.

best not to dwell on it, instead focus on the gameplay and awesomeness of the game and all is well :)
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the video games discussion forum

This discussion

Participants:  29
Total posts:  53
Initial post:  17 Dec 2013
Latest post:  24 Dec 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions