Customer Discussions > video games discussion forum

Platini's Fifth Official Amazon Football Thread - Post Fergie Number 1

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 2851-2875 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 29 Aug 2014 00:05:13 BDT
Basel are the English killers. Thump every English team they come across.

Thought about that Nessy, I'd have loved us to have played Celtic.

Good draw for us, Schalke are decent but last year we beat them 6-0 on agg.

So Costa is injured for this weekend. Looks like Torres is off to Milan too (yay). So Drogba is holding the fort.

Posted on 29 Aug 2014 04:58:59 BDT
Prankster says:
When was the last time any English team other than Arsenal had a tough group stage? Chelsea especially. Even the time they got knocked out, their group was easy. I can't help but think these draws are really fishy.

Posted on 29 Aug 2014 07:09:29 BDT
RAB says:
City frequently get tough groups. It's all down to the coefficient. For the most part our teams make it at least to the quarter finals, so we're always seeded when the draw is made. That's going to change over the next season or two I think as different teams break into the European places.

I'm quite happy with the draw, there's definitely some interesting-looking groups there.

Posted on 29 Aug 2014 07:13:24 BDT
RAB says:
News:

Real Madrid have completed a £20m deal to sign forward Radamel Falcao, 28, from Monaco

Aston Villa boss Paul Lambert has made an £8m bid to sign Manchester United midfielder Tom Cleverley, 25

Danny Welbeck, 23, is set to leave Old Trafford with the Manchester United striker linked with a loan move to Tottenham.

Chelsea are on the verge of giving permission for striker Fernando Torres, 30, to join Italian Serie A side Inter Milan

Manchester United have stepped up their interest in Stromsgodset's 15-year-old wonderkid Martin Odegaard, who has become Norway's youngest-ever player by winning his first cap against the United Arab Emirates

Valencia and Serie A champions Juventus have made offers to buy striker Javier Hernandez, 26, from Manchester United for a fee approaching £15m.

Burnley have made a £1.5m bid for Derby skipper, centre back Richard Keogh, 28

Manchester United target, midfielder Arturo Vidal, 27, has been quoted as saying he does not want to leave Juventus and is staying at the Italian club

Bayern Munich boss Pep Guardiola, 43, has implemented a strict regime of discipline to 'mentally toughen' his players for the new season, including fines for overweight players, turning up late, taking phone calls and ignoring dress codes.

Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal has revealed £16m signing from Sporting Lisbon, defender Marcos Rojo, 24, is still waiting for a work permit to play for the club and is currently at the Argentine embassy in Madrid

Former Arsenal midfielder Alex Song, 26, is hoping to return to the Premier League with Liverpool after being frozen out at Barcelona.

Sevilla claim Tottenham's new £8m signing, defender Federico Fazio, 27, still technically belongs to them and are unhappy the player is in England

Posted on 29 Aug 2014 12:25:37 BDT
Quiet in here despite such things as the champions league draw, Cambiasso going to Leicester and Torres likely to leave Chelsea for Milan on a 3 year deal.

Looks like Costa and Schurrle are out this weekend too. Bad times :(

Posted on 29 Aug 2014 12:26:49 BDT
RAB says:
Everyone's busy thinking about where Di Maria is going to play.

I heard he was a pretty good centre-back in his yoof.

Posted on 29 Aug 2014 12:28:01 BDT
So it appears that with the signing of Di Maria, Utd now have the most expensive squad in the League, in terms of what it cost to assemble.

Manchester United £401.2m
Manchester City £344.15m
Chelsea £341.8m
Liverpool £245.8m
Arsenal £209.5m

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Aug 2014 12:28:56 BDT
He'll play as wing-back, surely?

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Aug 2014 12:30:32 BDT
RAB says:
Either that or central midfield. Assuming LVG sticks with 3-5-2. Considering how thin on the ground we are in defence and midfield he may go 4-3-3. Rojo's still not got his work permit sorted for some reason.

Posted on 29 Aug 2014 12:31:57 BDT
Last edited by the author on 29 Aug 2014 12:46:29 BDT
RAB says:
Europa groups :

Group A: Villarreal, Borussia Monchengladbach, FC Zurich, Apollon Limassol

Group B: FC Copenhagen, Club Brugge, Torino, HJK Helsinki

Group C: Tottenham, Besiktas, Partizan Belgrade, Asteras Tripolis

Group D: Red Bull Salzburg, Celtic, Dinamo Zagreb, Astra Giurgiu

Group E: PSV Eindhoven, Panathinaikos, Estoril Praia, Dinamo Moscow

Group F: Inter Milan, Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk, Saint-Etienne, Qarabag

Group G: Sevilla, Standard Liege, Feyenoord, Rijeka

Group H: Lille, Wolfsburg, Everton, Krasnodar

Group I: Napoli, Sparta Prague, Young Boys, Slovan Bratislava

Group J: Dynamo Kiev, Steaua Bucharest, Rio Ave, Aalborg

Group K: Fiorentina, PAOK Salonika, Guingamp, Dinamo Minsk

Group L: Metalist Kharkiv, Trabzonspor, Legia Warsaw, KSC Lokeren

Gutted that Celtic didn't draw Standard Liege again.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Aug 2014 13:28:12 BDT
Ness says:
This and the fact they don't have any Euro games this season is why I think Utd should be considered as title contenders. Ok they have had a pretty terrible start but with the players they have and that manager they should be challenging for the title IMO.

I don't expect Celtic to qualify from that EL group, they are truly awful compared to the team that qualified for the second stages of the CL two years ago but then again what do you expect when they sell their best four players (who were also the spine of the team) for £30+ million while brining in poor loan signings. No wonder Lennon got out before the sheet hit the fan...

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Aug 2014 13:30:54 BDT
RAB says:
We'll be fighting for the top-four this season but I'll be disappointed if we don't come close to winning the FA Cup. By January LVG's 'philosophy' should have bedded in, and with just the Premier League to focus on the players should be fairly fresh, so we should be in a position to play our strongest side in every game there.

Posted on 29 Aug 2014 20:09:46 BDT
Chelsea Football Club and AC Milan have agreed terms for the two-year loan deal of Fernando Torres to the Italian club.

The move is now subject to Fernando agreeing personal terms with AC Milan and passing a medical examination.

Well it's great that he's gone. Shame he never showed at Chelsea how great a talent he was. The only real performance he had at Chelsea was pretty much winning us the Europa league. I'll give it to him he loves Europe, but the EPL was just too much for him.

Gutted this is a 2 year loan though, no fee what so ever, but I guess that's his wages off our accounts anyway which will be like £14m.

Rumours are Remy is favourite since Roma said Destro wasn't going anywhere (José said that about Torres this afternoon mind). But we already declined Remy once for failing a medical, can only assume this time it's cos we're cheap and desperate. Cavani or Falcao would be nice, we definitely have the cash for them. However I'd feel for Costa.

Posted on 29 Aug 2014 20:15:20 BDT
Last edited by the author on 29 Aug 2014 20:18:06 BDT
Ness says:
I was looking Torres stats up earlier today, couldn't actually beleive how badly he done at Chelsea -

----------------Games Goals
At Madrid ------214 (82)
Liverpool ------102 (65)
Chelsea -------110 (20)

Don't think I've ever seen a striker lose form like that.

£14 million wages in two years :O.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Aug 2014 20:21:36 BDT
Don't think that includes European games mind Nessy. He scored over 20 goals last season. But his stats were shocking. Think he got more assists than goals.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Aug 2014 20:22:43 BDT
Last edited by the author on 29 Aug 2014 20:23:41 BDT
Ness says:
Ah, that must be league games only then ?. Thought it looked a bit low even for him at Chelsea.

If I was Liverpool manager I would have actually taken him back to replace Suarez, I think it might just be the way Chelsea play that stops him reaching his full potential.

Posted on 29 Aug 2014 20:44:48 BDT
RAB says:
Things is he'd lost form for Liverpool before the sale anyway, he'd just come back from a serious injury. Could be he never came back the same player, then the price tag and pressure killed his confidence. Returning to Liverpool won't help because they're a completely different team now.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Aug 2014 20:45:53 BDT
I dunno nessy, we purchased mata, hazard and Oscar to build the team around him and play his way and it didn't work out. He's just lost his confidence, hopefully a new league will see a new Torres.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Aug 2014 21:03:12 BDT
Ness says:
Hmm fair enough, you have watched a lot more Chelsea than me :p. I just can't believe how far he fell though but as Rab says it could well have been injuries.

Posted on 30 Aug 2014 17:27:23 BDT
Prankster says:
*Sigh* It's sad that Di Maria will have to get used to 'not' winning from now on.

Posted on 31 Aug 2014 02:50:12 BDT
Man utd looked like a mid table team at best. Di Maria was very good tho; he got cramp but as the bt sport commentators said, it was his first real game for ages - so he'll get fitter.

Mata had a nightmare, and their defence is just *so* bad tho.

Posted on 31 Aug 2014 11:05:30 BDT
Arsenal could be closing in on the signature of Torino's Alessio Cerci after the 27-year-old forward was left out of the Italian side's squad to face Inter Milan on Sunday.

The Gunners are also hoping to sign Southampton's French midfielder Morgan Schneiderlin, 24, having agreed to meet the player's £27m price tag.

Manchester United could see as many as 11 players either leave or arrive at Old Trafford before Monday's transfer window closes.

Sunderland manager Gus Poyet will be busy before the transfer window closes, with Inter Milan midfielder Ricardo Alvarez, 26, Celtic defender Virgil van Dijk, 23, and Atletico Madrid defender Toby Alderweireld, 25, all targets.

Micah Richards, 26, could be chief among Sunderland's new signings as Poyet lines up a season-long loan for the Manchester City defender.

Hull City manager Steve Bruce says the Tigers have joined Aston Villa and Valencia in the race to sign Manchester United midfielder Tom Cleverley, 25.

Hull could shortly have a vacancy in their midfield with Burnley poised to make a £3m move for Scotland international George Boyd.

Real Madrid are ready to test Manchester City by ­making a move to re-sign striker Alvaro Negredo, 29.

West Bromwich Albion manager Alan Irvine says he will be making no further signings before Monday's transfer deadline, after 11 summer arrivals at the Hawthorns.

Swansea left-back Neil Taylor has questioned the omission of team-mates Nathan Dyer and Wayne Routledge from Roy Hodgson's England squad for the forthcoming games against Norway and Switzerland.

The members of Manchester United's 'Class of 92' have denied paying former United striker Danny Webber £800 a week at Salford City.

Leicester manager Nigel Pearson says he will not buckle in the Premier League pressure cooker.

Chelsea midfielder Willian posted a picture to Instagram (external) of himself and fellow midfielders Ramires and Cesc Fabregas looking in suitably celebratory mood after their stunning 6-3 win over Everton on Saturday.

German club Schalke have taken inspiration from their heritage by turning the tunnel at their Veltins-Arena stadium into a replica coal mine.

And staying in Germany, Sky Sports decided to transform one Borussia Dortmund fan's house into a shrine to his favourite club

Posted on 31 Aug 2014 19:21:59 BDT
Selected friendly and ECQ international matches for predictions

Germany 2-2 Argentina
England 1-0 Norway
Italy 0-0 Netherlands
France 1-2 Spain
Georgia 0-1 ROI
Germany 2-0 Scotland
Hungary 1-0 Nireland
Switzerland 1-1 England
Andorra 1-2 Wales
Brazil 1-2 Columbia

Posted on 1 Sep 2014 02:15:35 BDT
Deadline day woo hoo! Better than Christmas!
So what are we expecting then? Arsenal to sign a striker or DM? United to buy a DM? Or sell anyone? Let's face it there is tons to be done.

Chelsea loaned out MVG to AC Milan for a year, shame but it would be best for his development to play week in week out. If it wasn't for his injury last year I'm sure he would have stayed. So we now meet the HG quota which means that Cech will probably stay.

Remy is an interesting buy, a sign I think that they're working strictly under FFP as I'm sure Bony or Martinez would have been better options.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Sep 2014 06:39:46 BDT
Prankster says:
Arsenal to sign Schneiderlein and Falcao. You heard it here first folks!

I am happy with Madrid getting Chicharito. From Real's point of view, he's a perfect back up to Benzema and we don't splash out much cash either. Jese will be back at the end of the year too. We're doing well with FFP this window though I definitely classify our dealings as a solid C- this time.

Now Chicharito, I don't know why he agreed to the move since he won't be a starter but he definitely will get more time and he's 2nd choice now, not 4th choice. Hard to see Welbeck leave now though because then there's just Rooney and Robin 'always injured or tired' van Persie.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  64
Total posts:  7757
Initial post:  24 Apr 2014
Latest post:  1 minute ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions