Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Summer Savings Up to 25% Off Cloud Drive Photos Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis Learn more Shop now Learn more
Customer Discussions > video games discussion forum

Rumor: New CoD is set in WW1 with alternate realities, PS4/XB1/PC only

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 35 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 30 Apr 2014 15:31:04 BDT
Nessy says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on 30 Apr 2014 15:36:03 BDT
If true, I'm pleased. We need to go back to the World Wars for FPS. Not sure about WW1 though - they didn't have much in the way of weaponry did they? Which is why I guess devs stick to the modern day or at least WW2 so they got plenty of assault rifles to choose from lol.

Posted on 30 Apr 2014 15:37:12 BDT
J. Morgan says:
Unless it's going to be mass combat then WWI is not really that exiting as settings go. Be interesting to see what they come up with.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Apr 2014 15:41:31 BDT
Nessy says:
Says a 'fictional version' of WWI though which could mean they go mental with weapon designs.

There's a very high chance this isn't true because of the no last gen versions but I really want a CoD set in the past again rather than the future. I absolutely loved W@W.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Apr 2014 15:47:25 BDT
Yea me too. W@W was excellent. Sometimes just a change of scene can really mix up the format. I loved COD4, as we all did, but I thought W@W was excellent because the setting was superb. I know W@W had its haters too but I just got the whole "WW2" thing.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Apr 2014 15:52:14 BDT
Last edited by the author on 30 Apr 2014 15:52:36 BDT
Nessy says:
W@W was my favourite single player CoD (loved the mp aswell), Black Ops my favourite MP CoD because it had the same slower, methodical feel of W@W but I liked the maps better.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Apr 2014 15:56:20 BDT
Yea. The SP was pretty good. It had quite a downbeat dark feel to the game, especially with Nazi zombies. Black Ops was OK but COD4 and WAW stand head and shoulders above the other CODs IMO - although the SP campaign for most CODs have all been pretty good for what they are.

Posted on 30 Apr 2014 16:02:09 BDT
Singularity? That was set back in WW1 or 2 wasn't it with futuristic weaponry ??

Little bit sceptical about it tbh, played COD: Ghosts (SP) for a few hours but is still the same guff tbh. Different setting. Would need to bring something different and fantastic to the table IMO, but it does sound like they are going for MP again.

Posted on 30 Apr 2014 16:09:48 BDT
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:GreatWarBritishWeapons - For you R, there was loads of guns/weapons used in WW1, also, WW1 has just as many interesting settings as WW2, besides COD has always been cities anyway, so it wont make too much difference. But I think I call BS on this one, Activision wouldnt want to abandon the millions of sheeple still on PS360.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Apr 2014 16:14:30 BDT
Last edited by the author on 30 Apr 2014 16:15:47 BDT
Ahh but look at all of those rifles though - all single shot bolt action. That wouldn't be popular. And I think all the machine guns were meant to be used stationary.

Posted on 30 Apr 2014 19:26:10 BDT
This sounds a little like wishful thinking. I'd love it to be true btw. The thing I find funny (this isn't aimed at anybody here) is when people in one breath say that COD needs to do something different then in the next say they can't do WW1 because there's not enough machine guns. Personally, no assault rifles, loads of one shot rifles, is a positive.

Totally in fantasy land here, what I don't get though is why they can't push the boat out. Titanfall is good but in reality it's just a little step. Why don't they make a steampunk version of WW1 like seen in a segment of Sucker Punch (the snyder film)? Visually it'd be a step away from previous CODS. Why not add steampowered mechs, nothing like Titanfall size but more like the Tallboys seen in Dishonored?

Posted on 30 Apr 2014 19:46:46 BDT
J. Morgan says:
It sounds an awful lot like Wolfenstein thinking about it.

Posted on 30 Apr 2014 20:42:36 BDT
Nick says:
Fake: http://kotaku.com/how-a-dumb-gaming-rumor-spreads-1569944698

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Apr 2014 23:45:57 BDT
Nessy says:
Damn ! Hopefully the new CoD is set in a time period that's not modern day or near future though.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Apr 2014 23:47:31 BDT
Last edited by the author on 30 Apr 2014 23:47:55 BDT
Nessy says:
I suppose it's all down to money at the end of the day. Why create all of that extra work for themselves when they already have most of the art assets from years of modern military settings and the games will still sell 15+ million copies.

There was a Youtube video of Ghosts or Blops II showing you buildings that they had directly just lifted out of previous games maps without really changing lol...

In reply to an earlier post on 1 May 2014 02:51:43 BDT
I can't help thinking it's short sighted (Activision not thinking about the long term future of a franchise!!! Never!). It's a dangerous time for them really, this transition between generations, then an influx of new games, and finally games like Destiny and The Division which will have a firm eye on the future and the new hardware. All it needs is a game like Destiny to spark an interest and COD suddenly looks very dated even to the hardcore fans. Then there'll certainly be MP games coming out in a few years encouraged by Destiny or The Division and try something new, something more inventive. At which point COD just looks old.
I'm going to be really curious to see what their sales figures will be if they release a game this November. If E3 drops a load of interesting looking FPSs to be released next year I'd be a little worried for COD.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 May 2014 20:17:52 BDT
Nick says:
Well, it has now been confirmed that the trailer will be dropping on Sunday followed by a Gameinformer magazine with it on the cover. That means lots of new details...
Based on what we know it is next gen first but will also be last gen, kind of like Watch Dogs I guess.

First screen: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2014/05/01/exclusive-call-of-duty-screen-june-cover.aspx

It looks odd?

Posted on 2 May 2014 07:16:53 BDT
http://www.destructoid.com/call-of-duty-advanced-warfare-leaked-see-the-first-video-and-images-274126.phtml

The trailer on Dtoid is for the Xbox versions, so looks like it will be cross gen again.

Posted on 2 May 2014 08:31:31 BDT
Not World War One then. Not for me. Think I'll duck out this time - I promise :-).

Posted on 2 May 2014 12:05:46 BDT
Why do I get marked down for posting actual news about the new CoD, but R gets marked up for saying he won't buy again (when he - and many others will buy into it yet again)? :(

In reply to an earlier post on 2 May 2014 12:28:13 BDT
I won't be. I've had my fill.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 May 2014 13:30:49 BDT
J. Morgan says:
If you look at the sales in the other thread the WWII CoD's did considerably worse. I'm sure Activision realise that the CoD bubble will pop at some point which is why they came up with Destiny.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 May 2014 14:11:12 BDT
Nessy says:
What does it look like, another modern military setting ?.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 May 2014 14:31:39 BDT
Have you not seen it?

In reply to an earlier post on 2 May 2014 14:46:12 BDT
Last edited by the author on 2 May 2014 14:47:48 BDT
"If you look at the sales in the other thread the WWII CoD's did considerably worse. "

Did World at War do considerably worse?

When COD was primarily WW2 era, we where drowning in WW2 FPS Medal of Honor, Brother in Arms etc and online gaming wasn't arguably as big.

COD 4 changed all that .... but now its gone so far that way people are now longing for a more SP focused WW2 setting again.

I don't think a WW2 (or other time period) setting would mean less sales, but I doubt its a risk Activision is willing to take.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the video games discussion forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Wednesday PS3 Gaming night 9674 15 seconds ago
Nintendo Thread Part 3 "Get N or get out" 6871 44 seconds ago
NX launching in March 2017 31 2 minutes ago
Dark Souls III 328 3 minutes ago
What Are You Currently Playing Part 7: A man chooses, a HAW obeys. 3346 10 minutes ago
Destiny 5385 11 minutes ago
Doom MP Looks really interesting 6 21 minutes ago
Gears of War 4 beta 28 22 minutes ago
Video Game Films 22 31 minutes ago
New Games of 2016: Next Gen Has Finally Arrived ! 1639 35 minutes ago
The Official Amazon Football Thread - The Race for Sixth 404 58 minutes ago
Tom Clancy's The Division 733 1 hour ago

This discussion

Participants:  11
Total posts:  35
Initial post:  30 Apr 2014
Latest post:  6 May 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions