Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > video games discussion forum

Are games announced too soon ?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-16 of 16 posts in this discussion
Posted on 12 Jun 2014 10:20:11 BDT
Last edited by the author on 12 Jun 2014 10:20:35 BDT
Yeah i worded that wrong, i contridicted myself, IMDB show a lot of production and pre-production fims. i meant to say advertise, as in Cinema trailers, bilboards, etc.

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Jun 2014 08:47:01 BDT
Last edited by the author on 12 Jun 2014 08:47:25 BDT
Bauer says:
"Not true at all. Lots of films can get announced way in advance."

To be fair, I have to hold my hand up there, I don't really read film magazines and website's much anymore so that is probably why films appear to not be mentioned until shortly before release. If you actively look for info about films you can probably find out way in advance.

You also raise a good point about devs being forced to give out RD, still they should just follow Zammo's advice and just say no !

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Jun 2014 21:33:51 BDT
Fair enough, you're probably right regarding being pushed back. I'm sure it rarely happens in films (though they do shift dates but usually way in advance) as they get released to cinemas first. Also I suppose they have a completely different development process. Games are far more intricate things to put together. If just one little thing is unbalanced they have to go back and fix it because it unbalances everything else.

I wonder how much the releasing of a RD thing is more driven by the media and gamers? I'd have thought putting a RD out into the public domain cranks up the pressure for the developers. If we look at it from another perspective I wonder if it would release some of the insane crunch time that developers have to go through to get everything ready in time. Given we've had stories of the horrible hours they have to work compared to how little they're paid maybe dropping the release of a RD might be better for the employees. Obviously as somebody who works with deadlines I know there's always going to be a certain amount of crunch time but anything to reduce it must be a good thing.
I've noticed during E3 that it's the interviewers that push for a RD date. The few times a developer has given it up front is if it's within the next 6 months (usually because we know it already).

"Most films are not even announced until they are month or so away from release."

Not true at all. Lots of films can get announced way in advance. And the hype machine can be just as big with teasers, interviews, screenshots, etc. But if you're a fan of films, the industry, as we are about gaming it's all there. Like I said many of my mates wont know FarCry4 or Batman: Arkham Knitght is being released until the adverts hit the tv (a few months before hand) or they're actually in the shops. I have a few mates who'd consider themselves gamers, play a decent amount of video games a week have no idea E3 is on, actually some wont even know what E3 is.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Jun 2014 11:02:42 BDT
Bauer says:
Couldn't agree more Taz, I like to see announcements and tit bits of games as much as the next guy if i'm honest, but it is the constantly changing release dates that bug me and seem to cause tho most frustration.

Posted on 11 Jun 2014 10:19:45 BDT
I agree with both sides to this argument.

WRT films, IMDB lists films in pre-production as well as films due to be released in a few months, this is what is needed for games.

I want to know what Dev is working on what game, and to see snip-its as and when they are ready, be it art work or trailer. What i dislike as Bauer said it a date of Q3 2014, oh hang on no Q1 2015, actually Q4 2022. It rather they said TBD and when they have a confirmed release date, then tell the world its due out. That way we know what they are doing and we may scream "GIVE IT TO ME NOW!" but we're not disapointed that the game has been pushed back.

Posted on 11 Jun 2014 10:02:37 BDT
Bozz says:
I don't think they are announced too early but are definately given release dates too early. Surely they could announce a game and keep the release as TBA until they are sure they can hit a certain date?

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Jun 2014 09:00:50 BDT
Last edited by the author on 11 Jun 2014 09:20:47 BDT
Bauer says:
"As a question to a question, would you rather no information? "

Yes possibly ? as opposed to delay after delay after delay.

I also don't think that games are comparable to films in this regard tbh, films don't tend to get constantly put back (or do they?). If we had a concrete RD for game even if it was 2 years in the future it would be one thing, but to announce game like new Batman say its out Xmas 2014, then as draw closer its suddenly Xmas 2015 that's where frustration can occur, you don't tend to see that in movies (as far as I am aware).

Plus with the exception of films like say Star Wars, we are not constantly bombared with teasing footage and articles for 2-3 years prior to release. Most films are not even announced until they are month or so away from release.

Also I was just posing a question, I just get a bit tired of the constant moaning lately regarding delays/overhype etc and I just wondered if Devs could help themselves by waiting until games are nearer to the finished article before announcing ?

Posted on 10 Jun 2014 23:32:36 BDT
Last edited by the author on 11 Jun 2014 00:09:05 BDT
Too soon though compared to what? Star Wars Episode 7 got announced 2013, release date 2015, plus it's already been revealed as a part of trilogy, so Episode 9 might get released in what 2019? I'd have thought most big games get that one two years gap between reveal and release.

As a question to a question, would you rather no information? Is getting a little glimpse at what a favorite studio is working on better or worse if you don't hear anything from then? Some big games having three four years dev time. Personally I'm happy getting these early glimpses. I've been playing games, following this stuff, long enough not to take it all at face value.

I'd imagine most people here keep an ear (or at least half an ear) to the ground when it comes to gaming so we see these reveals. I have lots of mates who wont know FarCry 4 is being released until they see advertisement around release, or once it's actually in the shops.

I don't agree with that you can't get excited because you haven't seen gameplay. Half the enjoyment IMO of being excited is just the prospect of a director, writer, game's studio I love releasing something.

Posted on 10 Jun 2014 09:51:53 BDT
Its probaby down to the scale of the operation to make a game these days. Back in the old days when it was just a few guys beavering away in dark little corner somewhere, it was easy to come out of nowhere.

These days budgets are so high, details need to be released to shareholders regards what the millions are being spent on, not to mention if you have a team of hundreds of people in some way involved with a game its going to be near impossible to keep it a secret unfortunately!

Posted on 9 Jun 2014 22:36:10 BDT
djburty says:
It's tricky, but i like to know if a game is in development. I think that tbey should announce that a game is in development with some sketchy info (eg genre), only give specific details when it is in beta stage and then only give a proposed release date when it is practically finished - say 6 weeks before release. This will keep the interest of gamers whilst avoiding the disappointment of delays.

For instance, i would love to know whether Level 5 where making a ps4 rpg even if it wasn't going to be released for a couple of years or so.

Posted on 9 Jun 2014 18:26:46 BDT
Caryl576 says:
Way too soon, especially considering the number that never emerge for sale

Announce them when they hit Beta testing when they should be relatively certain of a release within some reasonable time frame

(but what would all the magazines/review sites do as they basically run on saying 'oh yes this will be great' before eventually going 'Meh'

Posted on 9 Jun 2014 13:05:42 BDT
G. Hanks says:
I tried and avoid as much hype and previews as possible otherwise I'm just looking toward the horizon. I think some build up is needed, especially from a commercial sense as it's not just about hyping the players but satisfying and reassuring your investors. 2-3 years is too much though and the constant ploughing of teaser trailers, gameplay vids, dev interviews, marketing materials etc is just too much.

It's like games have now lost their capacity to surprise in any way because they're laid bare. People desperate to avoid story spoilers yet will hunt for any video that explains all the game mechanics... which to me is part of the spoiler, especially in open world games where you're told the boundaries in advance

Posted on 9 Jun 2014 12:17:22 BDT
G says:
I agree games are announced too soon, i've been looking forward to Star Wars Battlefront 3 ever since it was announced in August 2006 ; )

Posted on 9 Jun 2014 11:59:14 BDT
They probably are announced too soon but I'm surprised so many people get excited about a game even before we see any game play. Until I see lengthy game play I don't tend to get excited.

Posted on 9 Jun 2014 11:53:30 BDT
I think it is more exciting if they announce a game and then it is released 2-3 months later.
I can then see if I like the look and get all excited without having to wait 2 years for the game.

I believe it is the same with movies, announce the film and then release it shortly after. Having to wait is no fun.

Initial post: 9 Jun 2014 11:15:57 BDT
Last edited by the author on 9 Jun 2014 12:32:13 BDT
Bauer says:
As we all sit teetering with excitement and anticipation of what announcements E3 will bring. I cant help but think that maybe we shouldn't know about most of them yet.

It seems we cant go 2 minutes with out being disappointed by yet another delay to this and that. Most of the PS4 lads are in tears on a daily basis, threatening to sell their consoles because Drive Club has been delayed again.

I know the new consoles has exasperated the situation and I genuinely feel most dev's were just not ready for new consoles tec, but even last gen I just felt that we had games announced and teased way too soon, with 2-3 years passing before we finally got those games.

I guess its all done to create hype, but on so many occasions the hype machine works against lots of games. Expectations and hope blown way out of proportion, look no further than Watch Dogs for proof. As amazing as it is, so many people are not happy, obsessed with announcement video from 2 years ago and 'over hyped' being thrown at it right left and centre.

Coming back to the Watch Dogs announcement video and the whole (downgraded graphics argument) maybe Ubisoft would have had a more accurate idea of what their game would look like on a PS4 if they waited to E3 2013 or later and stopped the whole issue?

I still remember Batman Arham Asylum just coming out of nowhere and it was brilliant and refreshing, maybe more devs should do this?

What do you think ? is a 2-3 year (or way more in some cases) hype period a good idea for games ?

Or should dev's wait till games are 70-80% complete before even announcing them ?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the video games discussion forum

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  11
Total posts:  16
Initial post:  9 Jun 2014
Latest post:  12 Jun 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions