Customer Discussions > video games discussion forum

The Official Amazon General Football Thread

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 17 Nov 2011 08:28:51 GMT
Last edited by the author on 17 Nov 2011 13:52:03 GMT
RAB says:
Right... We can live in hope that this survives the chaos of last night....

Here is where we come for an escape from gaming. We've built up some decent friendships discussing games on this forum, and it's understandable that some of us may have other interests as well, so here is where we talk about football and any other sport really. The banter is quality, without the blind fanboyism of other football forums, and we all generally get on and have a laugh.

So what do we do? All sorts of football news can be communicated through here, especially interesting during Transfer Windows, people like to give match reports from their team, we all bang our heads against Capello's selection brick wall and we all have a go at predicting results in various competitions for a bit of fun. Anyone is welcome, regardless of the team you support, as long as it's not Man City.

So who've we got?

RAB (Ryan): Man United supporter, lives in Portsmouth, is liable to spend obscene amounts of money travelling to Old Trafford. Has a man crush on Wesley Sneijder, and is also an avid rugby league fan, supporting his hometown of Wigan. Believes far too much of what he reads during a transfer window.

Dave Lagout: Chelsea fan who lives in Cumbria (don't ask why, not sure even he knows). Sadly can't post during the working day as much as he used to. Has a massive man crush on Juan Mata. Really wants Chelsea to sign Eden Hazard for some reason.

Stew: Liverpool fan from Norwich (eh?). Publicly acknowledges that his club spent 20m on Jordan Henderson. Also an avid follower of female jelly wrestling, and founder of the Amazon Jelly Wrestling League. Smooth talker and lady wooer extraordinaire. Has a man crush on Stephen Kelly. Or Martin Kelly. Can't remember which. Maybe it's Stevie G.

Will: Liverpool fan from Wales. Notable achievements: Persuading a girl to sh*t on his chest. Probably really pleased that fellow Welshman Craig Bellamy signed for Liverpool, can't be sure, never asked him.

Bozz: Huddersfield fan from....... Huddersfield! (Le Gasp!) Catchphrase: "Keep your thieving hands off Jordan Rhodes!" (formerly Antony Pilkington... we all know how that went) Always quick to remind us of their unbeaten league run, and is actually quite a handy amateur player himself. Or so he tells us.

Mike: Shrewsbury fan from Shrewsbury! Season ticket holder at their ground, and gives outstandingly in-depth match reports every Saturday afternoon. This year is their year, but not if they defend like that. But hopefully they can keep up their run. Oh great.

Steve: An Irish Chelsea fan. Also like Gaelic football, currently to be found floating in a vat of Guinness following Ireland's Euro qualification.

We also have the occasional posts from Bri, a Geordie Liverpool fan who occasionally interrupts our frivolity with some sensible stuff about TV Rights and the like, and a newer addition of Waxy, some much needed back-up to the Red Army.

And finally *drum roll* ............STIMPY!

Now, where were we?

Posted on 17 Nov 2011 08:41:50 GMT
RAB says:
If anyone takes umbrage with their intro and wants it changed, please let me know and I'll do my best to try and change it, no guarantees though.

Shall we kick the predictions off again?

Norwich 1-2 Arsenal
Everton 2-2 Wolves
Man City 3-1 Newcastle
Stoke 1-0 QPR
Sunderland 0-0 Fulham
West Brom 3-4 Bolton
Wigan 2-0 Blackburn
Swansea 1-3 Man United
Chelsea 2-2 Liverpool
Tottenham 3-1 Aston Villa

Posted on 17 Nov 2011 08:42:02 GMT
Yay!
And my first contribution to this thread is Sepp Blatter yet again has proven what a bellend he is.

Posted on 17 Nov 2011 08:43:24 GMT
Last edited by the author on 17 Nov 2011 08:44:59 GMT
RAB says:
I second that motion mate. Surely he can't survive this.

EDIT: This thread being at the top of the page and having "You Created This Discussion" in orange writing makes it look like an announcement. Take that, clan threads!

Posted on 17 Nov 2011 08:45:29 GMT
Last edited by the author on 17 Nov 2011 08:46:14 GMT
What happened here last night?!

Posted on 17 Nov 2011 08:48:30 GMT
RAB says:
No clue mate, but here's hoping we're back to normal now.

Posted on 17 Nov 2011 08:53:01 GMT
Bozz says:
Norwich 0-2 Arsenal
Everton 2-1 Wolves
Man City 2-0 Newcastle
Stoke 3-1 QPR
Sunderland 2-0 Fulham
West Brom 2-1 Bolton
Wigan 1-1 Blackburn
Swansea 0-1 Man United
Chelsea 2-1 Liverpool
Tottenham 4-0 Aston Villa

This place has gone a bit mental hasnt it?

Oh, and Blatter out! He has been spouting drivel for ages now but this time I think he has crossed the line. Its time the major FA's of England, Spain, Germany, Italy etc get together and put pressure on him to quit and to get a proper football man in. I would love to see someone like Maldini / Zidane / Van Basten given the role as head of FIFA, someone who has the games respect

Posted on 17 Nov 2011 08:57:20 GMT
Ah just been reading the story so far thread.......interesting

Norwich 1-2 Arsenal
Everton 1-1 Wolves
Man City 2-1 Newcastle
Stoke 2-2 QPR
Sunderland 1-2 Fulham
West Brom 1-2 Bolton
Wigan 3-3 Blackburn
Swansea 1-2 Man United
Chelsea 2-1 Liverpool
Tottenham 1-1 Aston Villa

Posted on 17 Nov 2011 09:07:18 GMT
Right. Experiment time. No draws on my prediction coupon for 1 reason. If my post is deleted by Modzilla, then we know he/she is a supporter of one of the teams I tip to lose. If not, we will have narrowed down the team he/she supports. In future weeks we can narrow this list down further until we can find out their team, be massively sycophantic and get him/her to rebuild our once-great community.

Norwich 0-10 Arsenal
Everton 10 -0 Wolves
Man City 10 - 0 Newcastle
Stoke 10 - 0 QPR
Sunderland 0 - 10 Fulham
West Brom 0 - 10 Bolton
Wigan 10 - 0 Blackburn
Swansea 10 - 0 Man United
Chelsea 10 - 0 Liverpool
Tottenham 10 -0 Aston Villa

Posted on 17 Nov 2011 09:18:57 GMT
Jelly wrestling FTW!
Good job Ryan, predictions will be up later. ;)

Posted on 17 Nov 2011 09:21:14 GMT
RAB says:
Stoph, what are your thoughts on Nigel Pearson mate?

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Nov 2011 09:22:32 GMT
Bozz says:
I was just glad it wasnt Lee Clarke!

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Nov 2011 09:25:03 GMT
RAB says:
Wouldn't be surprised if Pearson's out and Clarke's in by January though.

Posted on 17 Nov 2011 10:13:20 GMT
Mike E says:
My very own intro my life is complete. It's also true. Our defending has been worrying at times but we're doing ok on our run at the moment.

Posted on 17 Nov 2011 10:34:16 GMT
RAB says:
Please please yes!!

"Manchester United striker Dimitar Berbatov is the latest player being targeted by newly-rich Russian side Anzhi Makhachkala, according to reports.

Berbatov, 30, has played just five times for United this season after being left out of Sir Alex Ferguson's squad for last season's Champions League decider against Barcelona. The striker's agent, Emil Danchev, has now suggested the Russian club could make a 15 million bid for the Bulgarian during the January transfer window.

"We would be interested when Anzhi make a concrete offer," Danchev told the Mirror. "We will sit down with Dimitar and ponder this. I don't know if Dimitar is happy in Manchester. He plays, then he just sits on the bench."

Berbatov's contract with the reigning Premier League champions expires at the end of this season, adding to the possibility of United selling him in January. Anzhi, meanwhile, have signed the likes of Roberto Carlos, Yuri Zhirkov and Samuel Eto'o since being taken over by billionaire Suleyman Kerimov."

Not that I have anything against him, he's a brilliant player, but he is wasted on our bench, and the money we get for him, especially with a year left on his contract, could definitely be used to strengthen what needs to be strengthened. Namely, spending it on De Rossi, or maybe Pjanic. I can't see it happening though.

Posted on 17 Nov 2011 10:41:02 GMT
Bozz says:
I read something about them on the BBC website a few weeks back, apparently the area where the stadium and the surroundings are is in the middle of Russia's worst crime region with murders and robberies a daily occurence and attendences of about 400 people.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Nov 2011 10:45:47 GMT
The place sounds swell!

Posted on 17 Nov 2011 10:51:39 GMT
Sounds like Sunderland

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Nov 2011 10:54:09 GMT
Bozz says:
I went to Sunderland once, the train station was in a cave and then I got started on by a scally in a Kappa shell suit.

Never again..

Posted on 17 Nov 2011 11:07:22 GMT
A typical welcome then Bozz.

Posted on 17 Nov 2011 12:01:19 GMT
RAB says:
Remind me not to go to Sunderland then...

Posted on 17 Nov 2011 12:14:01 GMT
RAB says:
Also, Rio Ferdinand's apparently managed to engage Blatter in a Twitter slagging match. Class. It's times like this I feel I should be on Twitter.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Nov 2011 12:16:47 GMT
Sounds awesome!
I might join twitter. Have a little tweet tweet and all that.

Posted on 17 Nov 2011 12:16:55 GMT
Ryan don't go to Sunderland mate.

Just a reminder :D

Oh and i've donated on your's and Dave's Just Giving pages.

Posted on 17 Nov 2011 12:21:06 GMT
Rab, did reply to your post about Pearson.

Happy for him to return, Champions in his first year (admittedly League 1), then play-offs next year. Buys well and supposedly a real man-manager. He might be able to turn the rather random buys that Sven purchased into a cohesive team. Sven seemed to buy decent players then play them out of position, eg. Danns, Beckford, Vassell etc. Plus Sven sold some cracking players who he hadn't purchased such as Wellens and King, then flogged quite a few consistent performers such as Hobbs and Fryatt. I'm looking forward to a better brand of football as well.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 400 Next ›
Discussion locked

This discussion

Participants:  54
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  17 Nov 2011
Latest post:  19 Apr 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions