Customer Discussions > video games discussion forum

Mass Effect 3 Ending Discussion Thread (SUPER SPOILERIFIC)

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 303 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 12 Mar 2012 16:00:29 GMT
A Portal Gun says:
So, you'll only be reading this if you've completed ME3, if you haven't THEN DON'T READ PAST HERE.

**SPOILERS**

Firstly, since you've completed it you'll more than likely be agreeing with the universal opinion that the ending is terrible.
Not just my ending. ALL the endings. Terrible.

All of the decisions you made make no difference, no matter what ending you pick you get the same thing just with different coloured explosions.

Shepard was completely out of character at the end, no way would he/she pick any of those options. It would've been more fitting to have an option to continue fighting the Reapers with your EMS and Galactic Readiness being the deciding factors.

What was the ending all about anyway? Everything seemed unreal and like a dream/hallucination. The fact the kid was there and you were standing on top of the Citadel with no helmet on also back that up.
How exactly did Anderson and TIM get there? This wasn't explained.
How exactly did your injured crew make it back on to the Normandy in the first place?

Nothing seems to fit together. My best guess is that Bioware simply ran out of time to make the ending they wanted. Perhaps they requested more time and EA said no, imagine the horror if they'd pushed it back to the summer/Christmas.

Perhaps once you've all finished the game you can pitch your ideas/feelings in, after all this is just my view on it.

Posted on 12 Mar 2012 16:02:40 GMT
Last edited by the author on 12 Mar 2012 16:05:00 GMT
RAB says:
I haven't even started it and don't intend to, am I still allowed in here?

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Mar 2012 16:04:06 GMT
A Portal Gun says:
I'll let you inside anywhere you like.

Posted on 12 Mar 2012 16:04:50 GMT
RAB says:
Excellent. Bend over then.

Posted on 12 Mar 2012 16:07:50 GMT
RAB says:
Also, your spoilers are pathetic. You don't actually say what happens.

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Mar 2012 16:08:59 GMT
A Portal Gun says:
If you are currently playing the game this spoils the ending, a lot.

Plus the content that people who have also finished the game will likely post will spoil it too.

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Mar 2012 16:12:43 GMT
Last edited by the author on 12 Mar 2012 16:17:29 GMT
Nessy says:
"Nothing seems to fit together. My best guess is that Bioware simply ran out of time to make the ending they wanted. Perhaps they requested more time and EA said no, imagine the horror if they'd pushed it back to the summer/Christmas."

They done the same thing with The Old Republic imo, content patch 1.2 that is coming at the end of April is what the finished game should have been if Bioware had their own way but EA rushed it out for Xmas.

I have been let down by a lot of big triple A game endings this gen tbh, it seems to becoming a trend of easy, leave the door open for yet more sequel endings and some of them do feel very rushed and unfinished to get the game out.

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Mar 2012 16:16:55 GMT
A Portal Gun says:
I've learned that the best ending allows Shepard to live, you get a tiny added cutscene where he/she is under a pile of rubble back in London. I'm hoping to unlock that ending in my second runthrough, so I haven't seen it myself yet.

However, the endings other than this are mirrored just with either blue explosions, green explosions or red explosions. No matter what you pick the Normandy crashes, the Mass relays are blown up and civilisation is sent back 100 years. Seems very hastily put together for a game so focused on decision making and carving out your own story.

Posted on 12 Mar 2012 16:22:19 GMT
Nessy says:
Bioware actually came out months ago (maybe even late last year) and said Shepard died at the end of ME3, i would have guessed all the enemies swarm earth, he is the only one left and he destroys the whole planet to take them all out with him and that leaves the door open for another 3 ME games next gen as the Normandy escapes ;).

ME is one of the few IP's i would actually like to see again next gen, they could just set it in the Andromeda Galaxy instead of the Milky Way and create a whole new set of characters.

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Mar 2012 16:28:29 GMT
Last edited by the author on 12 Mar 2012 16:36:19 GMT
A Portal Gun says:
I'd like to see some more games based around the events before Shepard, maybe a game that focuses on the time before humans found the Charon relay and went to war with the turians?

But this trilogy that was so epic it deserved a better ending. The game is probably one of the best I've played right up until the last ten minutes. Everything goes down the pan when Harbinger makes a cameo appearance.

Which leads me to believe that what Bioware really wanted to do was have an epic fight with Harbinger but either time/money ran out and EA pushed them to release. I therefore blame EA for this, not Bioware.

Posted on 12 Mar 2012 16:41:00 GMT
AndyBSG says:
"My best guess is that Bioware simply ran out of time to make the ending they wanted"

I think you made a few typos there and this line should read "My best guess is that Bioware simply decided not to spend time making the ending they wanted and instead spend the time on making release day DLC they could make more money out of instead" :)

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Mar 2012 16:49:12 GMT
Last edited by the author on 13 Mar 2012 11:49:55 GMT
A Portal Gun says:
They are however, owned by EA and what EA wants they get. What they want is money and since Bioware partnered with them they have no say in the matter.

There are a lot of cut corners throughout though such as:
- The 'Stargazer' scene after the credits. The image was stolen from a DeviantArt user with no credit to them http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=%A7ion=&q=derecv2#/dpqs6e

-If you romanced Tali but she ended up dying you get a picture of her on your desk which is just a photoshopped stock image also taken from the internet with no credit: http://i.imgur.com/EX2fE.jpg

Pretty shocking and a middle finger to the fans. They couldn't even be miffed to make a rendered face let alone an animated one in-game.

Posted on 13 Mar 2012 12:49:16 GMT
A Portal Gun says:
Another interesting find by a player. On the PC version, hidden deep in places I don't understand, there are a few thrown out dialogue pieces that indicate Joker was supposed to intervene before Shep and the gang got hit by Harbinger.

Audio files can be downloaded here: http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/355/index/9787569/1

Either points to planned DLC (like the Prothean Javik being on the disc) or a thrown out ending which they forgot to remove completely (which seems very sloppy and something I'm sure someone would've picked up on.

Posted on 13 Mar 2012 13:17:57 GMT
Awful ending - what hurts the most is that the decisions you have made during the 150 odd hour journey mean NOTHING!

What was the point in getting more war assets? saving the council? Romanancing ppl? Getting readyness for war up? The whole game leading up to it was great.....the ending was awful.

I agree it could be a hallucination.....i hope it was.

Posted on 13 Mar 2012 13:22:59 GMT
http://social.bioware.com/633606/polls/28989

I'm unsure if you know about this but I just found it. There are 37345 votes as of this moment. 89% of voters want a change to the ending. It must be REALLY bad to get that many votes so soon.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Mar 2012 13:27:45 GMT
Last edited by the author on 13 Mar 2012 13:33:57 GMT
A Portal Gun says:
It is bad. Very bad. Worse still this guy from IGN (yeah, the ones with a member of staff in the game and a review page that I confused for the actual PR site for ME3) believes we're all idiots and that he'd be fine even if the game were 90% paid DLC. Yes, he said that.

http://uk.ign.com/videos/2012/03/12/mass-effect-3-opinion-video

Basically, it seems all of this content being found hidden in the game points to either future DLC (which means they planned this all along for extra cash) or they simply ran out of time/resources and had to slap together the cheap ending that tricks the player into thinking they're different when actually, they are the same.

Posted on 13 Mar 2012 16:24:16 GMT
A Portal Gun says:
Bumping this discussion so other people will see it when the finish the game.

Posted on 13 Mar 2012 21:38:29 GMT
I actually really enjoyed the ending. Shame the frame rate on the PS3 version dropped to 0FPS for a lot of it, but I really loved most of the ending. The Stargazer scene and the Child scene was out-of-character nonsense for a game of ME's calibre but the rest of that Act was brilliance
Your reply to Paul Cliff (PSN - thadon101 / XBL -...'s post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Mar 2012 22:02:39 GMT
ames says:
Snarf, it's hardly worth the effort to be honest because that's all you get-a split second of seeing rubble moving. That's it. :( But go for it if you think it'll bring you hope. It sure didn't for me.

Posted on 13 Mar 2012 22:20:14 GMT
Last edited by the author on 13 Mar 2012 22:21:20 GMT
Having finished the game earlier today, I think the ending had a huge impact. I like the fact that it's not a triumphant chest-thumping Hollywood ending and it leaves things open to explore the aftermath. I sincerely hope that Bioware don't give in to the frankly absurd "fans" who think they should rewrite the ending. After the disappointment of ME2, glad that ME3 returned to the story telling of the first with some tough decisions to make en route to the finale.

EDIT - I had the snippet of footage of someone buried in the rubble.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Mar 2012 01:23:11 GMT
Last edited by the author on 14 Mar 2012 01:25:41 GMT
A Portal Gun says:
I personally felt ME2's atmosphere and storytelling trumped ME3's, but I guess it's all down to opinion. Bioware have hinted that the ending was a result of Shepard's indoctrination by Harbinger (he was close by afterall).
With ME2 I felt the characters were better thought out and we got to see the underworld of the galaxy (Omega>Citadel), I enjoyed the twists of being with Cerberus rather than the Alliance too.

The problem with the ending revolves more around a lack of impact your choices had. For a game based on making your own choices it's a tad silly to throw them all out when it all matters.

Rich- You're the first person I've seen that enjoyed the ending, which I can totally see. It's just me, and a lot of other fans, felt they dropped the ball with it. The absence of the main writer from the past two games probably had something to do with that.

EDIT

Also about giving in to the fans, it appears they have had something in store all along which was my main guess

https://twitter.com/#!/masseffect/status/179686320568926209

Posted on 14 Mar 2012 07:58:06 GMT
Warning - this post will contain spoilers, but assuming that everyone on this thread has played all 3 games. Just in case...

***SPOILER ALERT***

If you think about it, all decisions were an illusion. Not sure how you played the game, but the imported Shep I used killed the Raachni Queen in the first game. When you complete the mission with the Krogan investigating Raachni activity, I was surprised by how Bioware tackled my ME1 decision as it made it irrelevant. This is just one example, but it's the same throughout the game. Your decisions in ME1 were glossed over in ME2 and apart from the odd conversation here and there, decisions didn't really factor into anything from start to finish throughout the trilogy. The biggest sin on this front may well have been Anderson sitting on the Council. No matter what you do, Udina is the Council member in ME3 with just a snippet in the codex to explain which makes you think why even offer the decision in the first place.

The only thing that you needed to do was make sure you were prepared for both the suicide mission and the battle for Earth. Thats it. Everything else is just an illusion of choice to get you invested in the game world. This is not a bad thing as I felt like I was guiding my Shepard from start to finish and thinking about it the ending makes sense.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of ending would people like to see?

Posted on 14 Mar 2012 08:15:15 GMT
For me the whole "synthetics will always rebel against their creators, so I send big synthetic creatures to kill you every so often" makes no sence.

I know he says that the races are preserved in the creation of new reapers but this just seems like a stupid idea and given all that leads up to it massively anticlimactic!

I know not everyone like Hollywood style endings but in this case I think the ending could have benefitted from a little more pazzaz.

Lastly nothing explains why the Normandy is in FTL when the Shockwave goes off or how your crew managed to get back on board.

Still very much enjoyed this trilogy but can't help feeling a little deflated by a damp squib of an ending.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Mar 2012 08:27:36 GMT
It will be interesting to see how DLC will shed light on the ending. Not sure if anyone noticed, but after you complete the game, you're back on the Normandy just before you attack the Cerberus HQ. This would suggest that Bioware have every intention of adding DLC to explain things further or perhaps provide additional choices.

When speaking to the Illusive Man, I noticed that there were renegade and paragon options in the dialogue, but despite going for paragon options throughout, I still didn't have enough to unlock that dialogue strand. Would this have made any difference? Probably not.

"For me the whole "synthetics will always rebel against their creators, so I send big synthetic creatures to kill you every so often" makes no sence."

Assuming you only played ME2 and 3, but when you first speak to Sovereign in ME1, while it is a huge moment in the game, the explanation for why they do what they do never satisfies your curiosity. The best you get is "it's beyond your comprehension". The whole idea that the cycle is about restoring order from chaos is plausible, but I get that it's unsatisfying for those who prefer loose ends to be tied up. I guess the beauty of it all is that it's open to interpretation. Things like the Normandy crash landing with a seemingly intact crew even though some were meant to be with you during the last mission make no sense, but who knows how much time has passed between the Crucible disabling Reapers and the destruction of the relays. It seems instantaneous, but it may not have been.

Obviously, I don't know. Just speculating.

Posted on 14 Mar 2012 09:09:48 GMT
On the PS3 version there's a message post-credits before you're kicked back to the Normandy saying that you can "extend gameplay by playing the DLCs" or something to that effect. Perhaps they'll be bite-sized missions explaining how your crew got back to the Normandy and how Anderson & The Illusive Man got to the Citadel/Catalyst. I assume that the timelapse after you're hit by the Reaper attack next to the Beam is far longer than it was in-game - perhaps you're out for a good 15 minutes in real-time at which point your team believes you've died and does a runner? Can't explain Anderson & TIM though, unless Anderson made it into the beam before Sheperd and The Illusive Man was probably already in the Citadel when they took it. All speculation but what else can you think when they left it so unexplained?

I just really disliked the Child and the Stargazer though - the Stargazer scene was as bad a plot device as Dallas' "it was all a dream" IMO, and the Child just made no sense, particularly as it took on the appearance of the kid from the beginning. I sort of understand why - he's the synthetic embodiment of the kid's soul speaking on behalf of what.. the Reapers, the Creators? - but it just felt so cheesy and out-of-place that it really pulled me out of the game at that point. The final cutscene more than made up for it though, in tangent with the mission beforehand where you're wandering through London's ruins meeting up with a lot of the characters from your past. Did we ever find out what happened to Garrett though post-endgame, as they made so much of his relationship with Sheperd this time round??

Time for an Insanity run, 2500 more kills and 2 more games of MP and I've 100%-ed it :D
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  38
Total posts:  303
Initial post:  12 Mar 2012
Latest post:  4 May 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions