Customer Discussions > video games discussion forum

PS4 is called Orbis, launching late 2013 - report...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 116 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 28 Mar 2012 19:23:55 BDT
Dela says:
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/341824/ps4-is-called-orbis-launching-late-2013-report/

"Console 'won't offer backwards compatibility, will feature anti-used games measures'

Playstation 4 is called - or codenamed - Orbis and is set for a release in time for the 2013 holiday season.

That's according to "a reliable" Kotaku source, who told the site the console's specs will consist of an AMD x64 CPU and an AMD Southern Islands GPU, which will apparently be capable of displaying games at a resolution of up to 4096x2160, and playing 3D games in 1080p.

The site was also informed that Sony doesn't intend to offer any backwards compatibility with PS3 games, and that PS4 will feature inbuilt anti-used games measures. Games are expected to be available on Blu-ray disc or digitally, and will likely be locked to a PSN account that requires players to be online to boot them up. Second-hand buyers would have to pay an unlock fee to access the full game content. Similar claims were made about the next-gen Xbox earlier this year.

Select studios have reportedly been receiving PS4 dev kits since the beginning of the year, with more finalised units set to arrive towards the end of 2012.

Forbes also claimed in February that Sony's as yet unannounced next-generation console will use a graphics chip provided by AMD.

Around the same time, US PlayStation boss Jack Tretton played down the chances of Sony launching PS4 any time soon."

Both MS and now Sony looking at 'Anti' used game measures in next gen consoles according to recent rumours?... Therefore adds more weight to it being true...

Posted on 28 Mar 2012 19:46:35 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 30 Mar 2012 00:39:16 BDT]

Posted on 28 Mar 2012 20:09:00 BDT
What is holiday season? Damn americans.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Mar 2012 20:14:56 BDT
Matthew says:
I assume thanks giving or black friday, one of those.

Posted on 28 Mar 2012 20:16:26 BDT
Last edited by the author on 28 Mar 2012 21:18:50 BDT
Solar Fox says:
Christmas time probably. Yeah, i saw this earlier on PlayStation Lifestyle. Sounds great, apart from no backwards capatability for Ps3 games. Grrrr..

Posted on 28 Mar 2012 20:16:57 BDT
Nick. says:
Holiday season is winter... they're funny like that.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Mar 2012 20:20:01 BDT
Last edited by the author on 28 Mar 2012 20:20:19 BDT
Matthew says:
Aha.. shows how much I know there. Thanks for clarifying Nich.

I still think Sony will launch 2014. They'l want to get as much profit off the PS3 as they can before starting fresh on a new machine, like they did with the previous 2 consoles.

Posted on 28 Mar 2012 20:20:38 BDT
Solar Fox says:
PSLS » HOT » News » PS4 » Rumor
Next PlayStation Codenamed Orbis, First Solid Rumors Are Here03/28/2012

There have been minor trickles of info about the eventual successor to the PS3, but nothing that was ever really worth discussing, or anything that ever felt like it had any weight to it. But now, the first solid rumors are here. First up, the PlayStation 4 is currently codenamed "Orbis".

These rumors stem from Kotaku, whose source claims that developers have had dev kits for some time, with an updated version arriving at their desks around GDC, with another round of more finalized dev units coming toward the end of 2012.

Orbis may sound like an odd name, but it may give clues to how Vita may come into play with the new PlayStation. Orbis Vitae, in latin, means "Circle of Life". This could hint that the PlayStation Vita could be integral to how Orbis works. If you're wondering about the validity of the Orbis name... Sony even has a devnet address for Orbis in its system: http://orbis.scedev.net/

Details on specs are thin, and can easily change before the system's eventual retail release, but Orbis supposedly features an AMD x64 CPU and an AMD Southern Islands GPU which is not only capable of displaying 3D games at full 1080p, but regular, non-3D games at a whopping 4096×2160 resolution.

While all of this is exciting, there are some no-so-exciting elements to these rumors. For one, the source claims that Sony won't even bother with backwards compatibility this time around. That means Orbis won't play your PS3 library, and you'll have to keep your PS3 around. Presumably this will be to keep PS3 sales going, and to reduce costs of Orbis up-front. Also, much like recent rumors about the next Xbox having anti-used games protection, Orbis may have something similar. The source claims that games will be tied to a PSN account, so resold version will be limited in some way, and will likely have to buy a pass to access the full game feature set.

Much like the Vita, Orbis is said to support retail games (on Blu-ray format) and will have retail games available for download over the PSN.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Mar 2012 20:23:16 BDT
Matthew says:
4096×2160 is verging on Ultra HD, I'm guessing Sony thinks Ultra High Def tvs will become the next big thing over the course of the PS4s life. Otherwise it won't make any difference making games in that resolution as no one will be able to see it that high.

Posted on 28 Mar 2012 20:23:24 BDT
Ok, 3 different answers! They have a whole season of holidayness??

Posted on 28 Mar 2012 20:34:23 BDT
Solar Fox says:
For anyone that wants to see the above news page and images of what the Ps4 may look like. linkage.

http://playstationlifestyle.net/2012/03/28/next-playstation-codenamed-orbis-first-solid-rumors-are-here/

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Mar 2012 20:43:57 BDT
Nick. says:
Very American term! They use fall and Holiday season; both of which annoy me.

Posted on 28 Mar 2012 20:56:54 BDT
A Portal Gun says:
I always thought Holiday Season was Thanksgiving-New Year? As this is seen as one big happy time in the US?

A time to celebrate family and friends, as well as stealing land from Natives and the killing of thousands.

GOD BLESS 'MURICA!

Posted on 28 Mar 2012 21:16:00 BDT
Last edited by the author on 28 Mar 2012 21:35:59 BDT
Dela says:
Holiday Season in America is Christmas/New Year...

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Mar 2012 21:22:39 BDT
"Very American term! They use fall and Holiday season"

I guess being a japanese company it is natural that leaked info will use americanisms....

Posted on 28 Mar 2012 21:25:50 BDT
Matthew says:
I would love to see the PS4 using video chat as standard in games, like sectioning a small area of the screen off during gameplay if you want to talk with a friend in private or as a group, the video boxes dont need to be huge unless highlighted by the user. Given they are aiming for Ultra HD resolution it should be workable.

Posted on 28 Mar 2012 22:01:56 BDT
R - Dual says:
Rumours. Rumours. There is also rumour that MS will release a competitor to Apple TV which has no disk drive, just streaming Apps like the 360 has now and will be able to play XBLA games. And will cost less than a 100 quid. And could be released well before next gen. Rumours. Rumours.

Posted on 28 Mar 2012 22:04:03 BDT
J-Bear says:
I will be implementing an anti new game measure and settling on a good free to play mmo I think.

Posted on 28 Mar 2012 22:15:34 BDT
Ness says:
Wii U cries in the corner if this is true ;).

Posted on 28 Mar 2012 22:17:20 BDT
J-Bear says:
Wii U launches with World of Warcraft and will probably do quite well. Just sayin.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Mar 2012 22:21:26 BDT
Ness says:
Ive read about that aswell R, my parents for instance would love it as they want access to Netflix / Lovefilm / BBC Iplayer / Youtube ect but dont want a games console next to the living room TV, the philistines ;).

Posted on 29 Mar 2012 10:41:41 BDT
Last edited by the author on 29 Mar 2012 11:18:28 BDT
Solar Fox says:
I have noticed the competition between Sky and Sony, Microsoft for people's tv viewing devices.

I personally, would prefer my Ps4 to just play games, store abit of music, game trailer and photos, but that's it.

I have a pc and handheld device for internet use. Sky+ to watch HD tv and films on, which I barely get time to watch these days.

It seems that Sony/Microsoft just can't allow us to enjoy gaming, without the need to supply us with streaming tv replays and such. All this, when we have a Sky+ box sitting right next to it. ?

I barely get time to play games these days, let alone watch reruns of Top Gear. I really wish they would just focus on gaming rather than trying to take a bite out of Sky's profits.

I never use iplayer on my Ps3, or ITVplayer. If the misses knew about it, she would be watching reruns of take me out, while I watched in desperation at not being able to play my new Ps3 game. It would be torture!

Sony/Microsoft, please stop it.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Mar 2012 11:18:07 BDT
Last edited by the author on 29 Mar 2012 11:20:43 BDT
R - Dual says:
"Sony/Microsoft, please stop it. "

I don't have a problem with it. I like Lovefilm, Netflix, Youtube and the catch-up services, as well as the music apps etc. Don't forget consoles are really just a computer and adding a few apps really isn't a massive investment of effort so shouldn't really take away anything from the gaming side. Sky is a rip-off anyway - I've got it - it's much cheaper to stream movies whenever you want for £11 per month if you have both Netflix and Lovefilm subs, less if you go for one service. And they do TV shows and boxsets too of popular shows. Personally I really like the TV apps and Youtube services available on my console - doesn't seem to affect my gaming at all, just how much I watch Sky;-) My gaming console is really becoming my entertainment hub and it's all on demand.

Posted on 29 Mar 2012 13:20:10 BDT
These anti-used games rumours are interesting. If the new Xbox and the PS4 both feature it and the Wii U doesn't, then there's third parties next gen excuse for ignoring Nintendo.

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Mar 2012 13:34:14 BDT
Last edited by the author on 29 Mar 2012 13:35:54 BDT
Ness says:
"These anti-used games rumours are interesting. If the new Xbox and the PS4 both feature it and the Wii U doesn't, then there's third parties next gen excuse for ignoring Nintendo."

They always find an excuse Milky, if those specs rumoured in the OP are anything near true (which i very much doubt, remember Sony promised 2 x HDTV's running full HD on PS3 then we got games running at SD resolutions on a single screen) then they will just say Wii U isn't powerful enough and they don't sell enough games on Wii U to justify working on a port.

I also can't see Sony going for such a major power leap again after losing so much money on the Cell, imagine games running at that resolution, the textures would have to be so detailed the price of game development would sky rocket by maybe three or four times and you would be causing major heat issues inside a small console.

Gaming PC's that run games at those sort of resolutions have over £2000's worth of hardware in them and are sat in a huge case with at least 4 fans (some are even water cooled).

I read the news about Sony dumping the Cell and going with AMD for the CPU and GPU a few months ago and i can only say imo thats the best thing they could have done. The poor third party versions of games and huge time / development costs regarding PS3 exclusive games are mainly down to the Cell.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  29
Total posts:  116
Initial post:  28 Mar 2012
Latest post:  12 Apr 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions