Customer Discussions > top reviewers discussion forum

More than one profile per account?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 42 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 22 May 2010 16:47:10 BDT
Last edited by the author on 23 May 2010 10:35:25 BDT
Damaskcat says:
IHNIWIGO- you said you'd changed your name from 'I have no idea whats going on!' but that profile is still active - if you follow this link http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/pdp/profile/ADKSMHOM1JETV/ref=cm_cd_et_pdp

Yet there is also a profile active under IHNIWIGO http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/pdp/profile/A2MFU9IJOQCFKJ/ref=cm_cd_et_pdp

If you change your name on your profile then it is only the name which changes (I know that for certain as I've changed my name in the past) - not all the reviews and in fact you only have one review under IHNIWIGO rather than the 42 you have under your original profile name - which you claim is/was yours.

As far as I know - though I could be wrong and if I am wrong I will delete this opening post -you cannot have more than one profile per account. You were suggesting in the politics forum that two of the posters appeared to be the same person with different accounts; you also suggested I had more than one account and was voting on my own reviews - perhaps you could explain what is going on.

Posted on 22 May 2010 18:00:43 BDT
OEJ says:
By coincidence, I noticed this earlier today as well. I was looking at a thread and there was a post by 'I have no idea whats going on!' as well as another somewhere else by IHNIWGO. Didn't think to start a thread about it (o: but since you have, D, I thought I'd mention this now.

No idea if it breeches any rules, I'm sure lots of people have multiple accounts anyway, so having more than one profile is no big deal. To me, anyway.

For the record, there's only one of me. One account, one profile.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 May 2010 18:17:26 BDT
JJG says:
And only one eye?

I've noticed this about IHNIWIGO, I thought it might just be an impersonator, I've seen this happen on forums.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 May 2010 09:51:21 BDT
Damaskcat says:
Pundit - I wouldn't normally have bothered with it but the person concerned has made several snide comments about me - including that I must have multiple accounts and be voting on my own reviews so I thought what is sauce for the goose . . . The person was also adamant that as she/he has only one credit card so could only have one account and one profile. I can't see any way you can have more than one profile on an account - but I could be wrong!

Posted on 23 May 2010 10:27:46 BDT
Last edited by the author on 23 May 2010 10:38:34 BDT
Ethereal says:
If that's so, she (?) isn't trying to hide her identity. It would make more sense to use a completely different name, surely?
I'd guess "I have no idea what's going on!" realised it was a mouthful for people to post a reply and shortened it because they would do anyway. But without keeping the original no one would know what the letters stand for.
But I'm probably completely wrong!

Posted on 23 May 2010 10:37:41 BDT
Last edited by the author on 23 May 2010 10:38:15 BDT
Damaskcat says:
No I didn't think she/he was - it was just that this person was very free with accusations about multiple accounts and people voting on their own reviews that I felt they were using double standards when it appears they have two accounts as well. She also probably didn't think anyone could or would check.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 May 2010 10:41:13 BDT
JJG says:
That's why I jumped at the impersonator idea.

I didn't think you could have multiple accounts, or at least profiles. If you can I'd probably get one just so I could go on the video games forum and not be the only one not using my gamer tag. :)

Posted on 23 May 2010 10:46:25 BDT
Ethereal says:
Our posts must have crossed Damaskat, as I was editing mine.
I must have a trusting nature, JJG!

Posted on 23 May 2010 10:54:29 BDT
Damaskcat says:
Mrs J B - yes our posts must have crossed!

JJG - you can have multiple accounts - I think - though I'm sure you would need more than one credit/debit card and more than one e-mail address. This person - whoever it is - was asking lots of questions about multiple accounts and profiles in the politics forum and was claiming to have only one account/profile and accusing others of having more than one profile - which was why I started a thread about it. I'm sure if I'm wrong I will be informed in due course but I wasn't the only one who had noticed the coincidence/anomaly/multiple account

In reply to an earlier post on 23 May 2010 11:00:16 BDT
Last edited by the author on 23 May 2010 11:09:58 BDT
Ethereal says:
Sorry Damaskcat, I've just seen the "c" in your name, maybe because we're discussing names. I don't think I've ever written your name properly!
Edit: A linguistics person could explain it but I think it's to do with two adjacent letters with the same sounds cancelling one out, and the "k" comes first so is dominant.

Posted on 23 May 2010 11:04:23 BDT
Last edited by the author on 23 May 2010 11:06:49 BDT
OEJ says:
Actually, until someone else comes forward to prove otherwise, I think (not sure though) I was the first person to reply to this person using the acronym IHNIWIGO, a week or two back.

And I claim my five pounds (AICMFP)

(o:

In reply to an earlier post on 23 May 2010 12:29:07 BDT
Last edited by the author on 23 May 2010 12:31:08 BDT
Damaskcat says:
Mrs J B - it's no problem ;-) I think it is because of the 'k' and the 'c' being together. It's my ebay name as well and I sometimes spell it incorrectly when I log on there!

Pundit - you may well have been - not sure where you're going to get the 5 from though ;-) Both names have been very active in some of the other forums.

Posted on 24 May 2010 13:39:21 BDT
Damaskcat says:
Strange that the person who is the subject of this discussion hasn't bothered to respond . . . .

Posted on 24 May 2010 13:52:32 BDT
Last edited by the author on 24 May 2010 13:53:13 BDT
OEJ says:
Maybe I'm dyslexic or summat, but every time I see that acronym, I think of Have I Got News For You. I know HIGNFY is rather different from IHNIWIGO, but it kind of rolls off the tongue easier. In my mind, I mean.

Anyway.

As you were.

Posted on 24 May 2010 15:26:05 BDT
Danny says:
The id IHNIWGO used to be called Norma Jean Wotsit. It is a different id to I have no idea whats going on.

Just a jolly jape from the little scamp. Oh how we laughed. etc.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 May 2010 15:53:40 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 15 Nov 2012 01:57:07 GMT]

Posted on 24 May 2010 16:43:11 BDT
Damaskcat says:
RJS - not a witch hunt! This person - without any provocation - said I must have more than one account and be voting on my own reviews. There were also several posts from this person asking about multiple profiles/accounts and accusing others of the same thing while categorically stating they only had one account because they only had one credit card. What is sauce for the goose . . . .

MT - as the same person seemed to be saying on the polictics forum that they used to spell out their profile name and changed it to initials only - that is saying they are the same person. If it was all done for a laugh then I would say this person is just a troll

In reply to an earlier post on 24 May 2010 16:43:53 BDT
Damaskcat says:
Pundit - I keep thinking that too ;-)

Posted on 25 May 2010 08:37:33 BDT
Ethereal says:
Leaving aside the particular poster referred to on this thread for a moment, I think it's a shame one person can have more than one profile.
It's hard enough to build "relationships" on a forum without this extra confusion, and the practice does suggest an ulterior motive for doing it. Some may say anonymity makes internet relationships artificial anyway, but then why keep on posting?

In reply to an earlier post on 25 May 2010 08:49:30 BDT
Last edited by the author on 25 May 2010 08:49:51 BDT
JJG says:
I can understand that, but I would like to have a separate profile for the video games forum, as I mentioned before. But I don't want to go to the hassle of setting up a new card and account to do it. If there was some kind of option to have a different profile name at your discretion that would be nice, so I would still only have one profile, but I'd be known by gamer tags on that particular forum. I'll admit it's a bit of a none argument at the moment because I'm without any gamer tags currently.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 May 2010 10:32:58 BDT
Damaskcat says:
Mrs J B - I can't see any way you CAN have two profiles on one account. As you say if you can - it's only going to lead to confusion.

JJ G - I can see where you're coming from as regards games - not that I'm into games myself!

Posted on 25 May 2010 12:25:39 BDT
OEJ says:
I would like the option to have a unique name for all Amazon forums, one that has no association/hyperlink with my reviewing profile. Too often my reviews have been negged in reaction to (unrelated) comments I've posted on the forum. I don't think I'm alone in wanting this.

Posted on 25 May 2010 15:59:19 BDT
Damaskcat says:
Pundit - I hadn't thought of that but it would be an excellent idea :-)

Posted on 25 May 2010 19:50:41 BDT
Danny says:
Oh they are definately a troll, but they do appear to have a sense of humour, albeit somewhat off the wall, so its not the end of the world. Incidently, if they are reading this then they may or may not be interested to know that my botty is fine now thanks.

Posted on 27 May 2010 10:10:09 BDT
Ethereal says:
I see all posts here have been given a neg vote including the OP, even though many do not say the same thing - I wonder why?
Surely this is an example of why it would make sense to get rid of neg votes (linking to another thread on this forum), if not positive ones too for similar reasons.
I've seen the arguments for and against and don't care much about the voting system either way, but it does seem a pointless exercise when this kind of thing happens with regularity.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  8
Total posts:  42
Initial post:  22 May 2010
Latest post:  1 Jun 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions