Customer Discussions > top reviewers discussion forum

Submitting a book to the Amazon Vine Programme

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-12 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 30 Aug 2011 16:34:38 BDT
C. Carter says:
Apologies if this is answered somewhere, but I've failed to find it.

I've only just found out about Amazon Vine - what a great idea! I've read on their info page that: "Amazon provides Vine members with free products that have been submitted to the programme by participating vendors."

Does anyone know how I could become a "participating vendor," or point me towards the relevant information?

Or, is it as I suspect, that people like me, who've just self-published via Kindle, would not be allowed to offer their work to the programme..?

Thanks for any help.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Aug 2011 16:48:02 BDT
Damaskcat says:
You would need to contact Amazon themselves and ask them

Posted on 30 Aug 2011 18:09:44 BDT
Quiverbow says:
Vine have only ever offered hard copy books to me. As far as I'm aware, they've never offered anything as a download. They do have a thing called AmazonEncore for new authors but only Amazon can explain it to you.

Posted on 30 Aug 2011 18:49:39 BDT
C. Carter says:
Thank you both for your replies.

I just tried to email Amazon at what I thought might be the most appropriate contact address (related to author stuff) but have just recd a response saying the address is no longer in use (I clicked on it on the site). So, I'll look for another one as I'm sure eg Customer Services or Advertising won't be interested in my question!
Thanks for your help.

Posted on 30 Aug 2011 19:19:15 BDT
Last edited by the author on 30 Aug 2011 19:19:33 BDT
The Truth says:
C. Carter:
You could try: vine-support@amazon.co.uk

Although you might find it won't accept emails from accounts not registered with Vine (I seem to remember getting a message saying something like that when I tried to fire one off from my work email a while ago).

Failing that, I would just go through the normal channels and contact them through their help section.

'Customer Services or Advertising won't be interested in my question'

I wouldn't worry about that - and I wouldn't be so sure. I'm sure they have a mountain of boring emails to get through everyday, and yours seems like a genuine and interesting question, so I'd just ask... nothing to lose.

You never know, you might start the ball rolling and be the first of many Kindle downloads on Vine... I'd contact them - they won't mind and will point you in the right direction. Or give you the official answer at least.

Good luck!

Posted on 30 Aug 2011 19:44:05 BDT
C. Carter says:
Thank you, The Truth, since my last reply I've tried to find other relevant looking addresses, without success, so I'll try the vine one and go through customer services if not...nothing ventured...!

Many thanks everyone for your help and speedy responses!

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Aug 2011 08:17:23 BDT
Bob says:
Not sure if this link will help:-

http://services.amazon.co.uk/standards/contact-us/

Posted on 31 Aug 2011 09:45:42 BDT
C. Carter says:
Thank you Bob. I've emailed to the address The Truth gave me (it didn't bounce) but will keep this handy if I don't get a response from it.

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Aug 2011 11:35:56 BDT
Bob says:
I don't know if the book you are trying to promote is "Tolly's World" but at your price point you are against a great volume of competition. Also if you do get it on Vine there are many children's books that hang about for months with few takers.
I am not trying to be negative about your book as I have just read the sample and it looks good. Perhaps a better way of getting reviews would be an email to some of the top reviewers who give email addresses on their profiles and review children's books, offering a free book in return for a review. I often get books in this way some I take and some I don't but it may get you more reviews this way. It is not one I would take as I am so far out of the targeted age range that I could not do it justice. I am assuming rashly a childrens book aimed at under 10s.
Anyway, I wish you every success with your books.

Posted on 31 Aug 2011 12:28:39 BDT
C. Carter says:
Thank you Bob for this - I didn't know I was allowed to ask or, at the very least, that it would be far too cheeky to ask people for reviews! So, I certainly will!!

The reason I've put up my book is not to make any money (...good job..!). I'm actually really only interested in what people think and in making them better - it was because I got so genuinely unexpected positive feedback from adults and children (6-9 years old) that I carried on and put it up as a Kindle. The reason I put a price on it and not made it free is that I was told and read that people don't like commenting on freebies but are more inclined to if they have had to pay for it! I've actually sold a fair few (far more than I expected) but it's feedback [positive or negative] I'm really after, so I will certainly follow your advice; many thanks again.

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Aug 2011 14:13:06 BDT
Last edited by the author on 31 Aug 2011 14:42:31 BDT
Bob says:
I am not sure about free books not getting reviews [ this has 80+ reviews The Golden Acorn: Book 1 (UK EDITION) (The adventures of Jack Brenin) a lot of authors "sell" books for free for a limited time. ( Not sure how this works) but then put the price up when they have enough reviews. The other thing that they do is issue part one of a series free to encourage reviews and for people to buy subsequent ones. Be careful not to publish "Teaser" chapters or large extracts for free without making it clear what they are or this encourages massive -ve votes.

Posted on 31 Aug 2011 22:54:19 BDT
C. Carter says:
Bob - Thank you for your suggestion that I contact some reviewers. I emailed a few this afternoon and already have had two people say they will review the book! so many thanks for taking the time to respond and making the suggestion...!

And thank you to everyone who responded, I'm very grateful for your help and advice.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the top reviewers discussion forum (310 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  5
Total posts:  12
Initial post:  30 Aug 2011
Latest post:  31 Aug 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions