Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > top reviewers discussion forum

Yank in the house... Stop in and pay your respects.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 352 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 3 Aug 2013 03:44:10 BDT
Hello Limeys.
I have been away for some time and I have now returned as an Amazon UK TOP Reviewer.
You may now pay homage with your comments.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Aug 2013 08:43:47 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 24 Sep 2013 13:53:42 BDT]

Posted on 3 Aug 2013 18:25:55 BDT
Crookedmouth says:
"Top Reviewer"? 6700? I think you've mistaken the ranking system Timboliah - the LOWER the rank the higher you are. It's all right to be confused though. You're a foreigner, you poor fellow.

Posted on 3 Aug 2013 19:24:13 BDT
Last edited by the author on 3 Aug 2013 19:25:01 BDT
Quiverbow says:
To be fair to him, it does say 'Top Reviewer Ranking' before his rank. (But it also says that to the person ranked at 3,100,000.)

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Aug 2013 19:35:31 BDT
Crookedmouth says:
Giving comfort to the enemy, QB.

Posted on 4 Aug 2013 16:52:21 BDT
Last edited by the author on 8 Aug 2013 02:01:22 BDT
Hello, hello... and thank you for the warm "Welcome Back" to the Amazon UK Jungle.
I felt it was a good idea to stage my reverse British-invasion by first making a grand entrance with this arrival announcement thread and bring you to me one by one, rather than try to jump into the fray of the currently ongoing Top Reviewer discussions.
I want to personally acknowledge and welcome each of you early respondents to my new regime and I trust that you will find your new roles as my minions, lackeys, and my loyal cadre of misfits to be very rewarding.
Crookedmouth:
Thank you for pointing out the obvious shortcomings with the existing rating system! Your point is well taken that it cannot be relied upon to identify the "Top Reviewers" and any further discussion of it would be a waste of precious time. You are quickly ingratiating yourself with me, congratulations.
To answer your question more directly, yes Top Reviewer. On the only truly worthwhile rating system... a purely subjective system. A system based upon how much one's review 'speaks to' or touches the reader in a way that is thoroughly enjoyed and appreciated by the "rater" of the review after having read the review. For instance, how many people after reading one of your reviews have commented "OMG this is the best review I have ever read!! I have tears streaming down my face, will you marry me?" If you can count yours on one hand, you're far behind in the competition!

L. Hennessy:
No, I haven't been a guest of the state. Just been letting life get in the way of my art for a while. Welcome!

QuiverBow:
Your point is very cogent and thank you for pointing it out. If I understand you correctly, you're saying that in MY case, they should have just stopped after the words "Top Reviewer"... you are a flatterer. Thanks so much, and of course, you are correct.

I recall each of you blokes and birds from my last swinging romp thru Amazon UK. So, enough fawning over me, give me the lay of the land... some recon... what are you Brits on about in Top Reviewer land these days? I suppose I can read that in the threads myself, so cancel that last request. But you can give me a head start by posting up some general UK knowledge that I should be brought up to speed on before joining the fray. Imagine I've been shipwrecked on an island for a couple years... fill me in...
Has Kate been voyeured any more by prying paparazzi photographers? And if so, please post up where I can view the disgusting, offensive photos. Just for the sake of being well informed on current events mind you. Not to satisfy any prurient interests of my own mind you.
Have any new royals been born? Has gay marriage been legalised? Is Boy George still considered the pinnacle of British masculinity?
Please educate me on Brit pop culture.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Aug 2013 16:56:03 BDT
Dan Smith says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on 4 Aug 2013 17:19:43 BDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Aug 2013 20:23:53 BDT
Dan Smith says:

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Aug 2013 20:41:55 BDT
Dan Smith says:
Britith Pop culture is pretty dead on it's arse at the moment; the big thing is platforms; content is taking a back seat. TV is deluged by adverts for new platforms, all designed to put Rupert Murdoch's Sky out of business. Apparently there has been a ruling by the E.U. about it which is why all the businessmen are jumping on board. Musically, the biggest thing to come out of the UK for a while is Goldie, a black dude who spins Drum and Bass. It's a new musical idiom. Apart from that the other good thing going on at the moment is The Proms which are being broadcast on our BBC. It's a really good season. Check it out on BBC America, unless they're still broadcasting The Office.

Posted on 5 Aug 2013 00:36:22 BDT
Last edited by the author on 5 Aug 2013 00:55:09 BDT
The 90's Guy says:
What?! What?! What?! What?! What?!

The 90's Guy came over from Youtube.

(Amazon reviewers start chanting Stone Cold Steve Austin-styled "What?'s") <WHAT?!>

I said "Youtube." <WHAT?!> Youtube. <WHAT?!> Just watched some old WWF/WWE videos. <WHAT?!> One of which featured Stone Cold Steve Austin. <WHAT?!> Making heavy use of his "What?" catchphrase. <WHAT?!> Got the adrenalin running through my brain. <WHAT?!> OK, it wasn't a 90' thing. <WHAT?!> The video clip was from a RAW show from early 2002. <WHAT?!> But I don't care. <WHAT?!> I'm feeling energetic. <WHAT?!> Enjoying a can of energy drink. <WHAT?!> Playing some video games. <WHAT?!> Playing Gex 3D: Enter the Gecko for the PSone. <WHAT?!> Not a bad platformer. <WHAT?!> Still prefer Spyro and Crash though. <WHAT?!>

Anyway, I got a message for Timboliah PantsOnFiyah. <WHAT?!> I said I got a message for Timboliah PantsOnFiyah. <WHAT?!> A message. <WHAT?!> Actually it's more like some advice. <WHAT?!> You might wanna write some reviews on more of the entertainment media stuff. <WHAT?!> Like CDs. <WHAT?!> DVDs. <WHAT?!> Video Games. <WHAT?!> People just love that stuff. <WHAT?!> Also I understand that not everybody likes writing novels. <WHAT?!> But your reviews could do with being a little more detailed. <WHAT?!> Point out the positives. <WHAT?!> The negatives. <WHAT?!> Whether or not you would recommend buying the item. <WHAT?!> If yes, who would you recommend it to. <WHAT?!> A joke or two wouldn't hurt you too much either. <WHAT?!> Once you've got that sorted. <WHAT?!> You'll have a better claim. <WHAT?!> A better claim. <WHAT?!> A better claim to being the top UK Amazon reviewer. <WHAT?!>

So sit yourself down. <WHAT?!> Have a cup of coffee. <WHAT?!> A couple of doughnuts. <WHAT?!> Maybe some chicken wings. <WHAT?!> And cheeseburgers. <WHAT?!> A couple of hot dogs on the side. <WHAT?!> That's what you yanks love to put in your stomachs, right? <WHAT?!> You do all that... <WHAT?!> ... whilst checking out the potential win/fail that this lengthy comment of mine may or may not contain. <WHAT?!>

I gotta go now. <WHAT?!> Got some video games to play. <WHAT?!> I said video games. <WHAT?!> Video games. <WHAT?!> Which part of "video games" do you not understand? <WHAT?!> I gotta go and play some more video games...AND THAT'S THE BOTTOM LINE, CAUSE THE 90'S GUY SAID SO!!!

(proceeds to stick middle fingers up to computer screen before clicking on the "post" button.)

Oh, one more thing: this was the video I was watching...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReiPEoyTQj4

What?!

Posted on 5 Aug 2013 02:56:43 BDT
Last edited by the author on 5 Aug 2013 04:01:47 BDT
DSMITH-

I've just been perusing your reviews, and quite enjoyed them. It's a pleasure to meet a fellow Top Reviewer.
I enjoy the 'voice' of your reviews and find your remarks to be insightful.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Aug 2013 03:41:29 BDT

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Aug 2013 08:01:14 BDT
Crookedmouth says:
'Please educate me on Brit pop culture.'

Well, England are going to retain The Ashes. That's about as Pop as my culture gets.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Aug 2013 08:37:33 BDT
This is the myth that "competition" is good for everybody. It's not good for the end customers who now have to pay more and more to see that same football coverage.

It's only good for a few rich entrepreneurs who can afford to pay to lobby the Conservative party to make decisions that favour them.

Posted on 10 Aug 2013 22:06:13 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 27 Aug 2013 16:42:20 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Aug 2013 00:04:23 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 13 Aug 2013 15:56:13 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Aug 2013 17:10:11 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 27 Aug 2013 16:45:22 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Aug 2013 18:24:24 BDT
Dan Smith says:

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Aug 2013 19:35:19 BDT
Since we technically speak the same language, I understand the meaning of each word you just said. I just don't understand the meaning of them all put together in that order.

Posted on 11 Aug 2013 21:46:45 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 15 Aug 2013 19:57:07 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Aug 2013 15:42:46 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 7 Sep 2013 12:52:29 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Aug 2013 15:49:24 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 26 Aug 2013 13:25:10 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Aug 2013 15:57:49 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 15 Aug 2013 12:52:03 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Aug 2013 16:16:49 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 26 Aug 2013 13:25:17 BDT]
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 15 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the top reviewers discussion forum (512 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  33
Total posts:  352
Initial post:  3 Aug 2013
Latest post:  14 Sep 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 11 customers

Search Customer Discussions