Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > top reviewers discussion forum

Effect of negative votes on ranking

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 391 posts in this discussion
Posted on 19 Sep 2012 16:52:02 BDT
Am new to all this and the politics therein. Are these 'unhelpful' voter clusters sad and desperate reviewers or what?

Posted on 19 Sep 2012 20:09:23 BDT
I know people vote unhelpful on certain reviews to diminish the standing of the person writing the review. I am sure many people actually do so because the review did not help them. I have voted unhelpful on reviews because they did not help me assess whether or not to buy the product. I think more people vote unhelpful, more than any other reason, to express their opposition to the review and its contents.

I know Amazon reviewers, especially reviewers of relatively high standing such as top 100 reviewers and those Amazon designates "Hall of fame" reviewers, who are very sensitive about unhelpful votes and think they are all negative votes. I have know reviewers who have eliminated their reviews so the unhelpful votes wouldn't diminish their standing.

Posted on 19 Sep 2012 20:53:32 BDT
Thank you for all of that, Larry, and blimey! It's a whole other world, eh.

I think as a relative newcomer, I'll just stick to 'calling it' from my point of view and IMHO.

The thing that's hard is reviewing (mainly books) that have been out a while and really, you just don't get much chance of your reviews even being read. I do believe that Amazon do some jiggling around to account for this but when you're wa-a-ay down the list, basically, you're stuffed!

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Sep 2012 21:09:38 BDT
Quiverbow says:
Your review will be top of the list at some point if they click on 'Newest First', which many do.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Sep 2012 21:13:55 BDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Sep 2012 15:32:03 BDT
The Truth says:
Also, new reviews are automatically placed above all the others (except the very top reviews on that page). Sometimes you'd be surprised, older items pick up more votes so I still think the reviews get read.

Posted on 21 Sep 2012 16:18:32 BDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Sep 2012 18:09:31 BDT
Last edited by the author on 21 Sep 2012 18:11:54 BDT
Quiverbow says:

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Sep 2012 18:41:58 BDT

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Sep 2012 11:02:05 BDT
Crookedmouth says:
"there's not much point"

I wholeheartedly disagree. I would review regardless of the number of existing reviews if only because I enjoy the process of writing the review. I wouldn't expect it ever to get read let alone voted on, but every review you write makes the next one you write a bit better.

Posted on 22 Sep 2012 11:41:02 BDT
Good point, Crookedmouth.

Also altruism. I recently wrote the briefest of reviews - well, it couldn't even be called a review, more of an acknowledgement really - of Hilary Mantel's Bring Up The Bodies. I knew it was never going to get read but I just wanted to say 'bravo' to the author of such a stunning piece of work.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Sep 2012 19:30:00 BDT
The Truth says:
To add to the point Crookedmouth makes, even the act of writing a review will help you move up the ranks, so that's another reason to write your review regardless of the number of votes it may or may not get.

and to answer your other question, yes it is very possible to climb the ranks if you don't read and review popular books. I don't read or review popular books or items and it's never affected my ability to climb the ranks.

If you want to start trying to climb up the reviewer charts the important thing to do is just start writing reviews, for whatever item, and regularly.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Sep 2012 19:53:06 BDT

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Sep 2012 15:41:16 BDT
Last edited by the author on 24 Sep 2012 15:41:50 BDT
Point of information, The Truth - how does just writing a review alter your ranking? Most of the reviews I've written haven't been voted on, because I usually review obscure things that haven't been reviewed by anyone else, or only by a few people (I don't see the point in adding reviews to popular items that have already got a gazillion reviews, unless I've got something distinctly different to say). I haven't noticed any difference in my ranking when I add a new review - it only varies when I get votes.

Posted on 24 Sep 2012 16:17:53 BDT

Posted on 24 Sep 2012 17:07:29 BDT
Quiverbow says:
It's not all about positive votes. One reviewer has 23,355 positive votes of 23,512 on a single review (he has four reviews in total) but is still 2,300 in the rankings. His last review was eight months ago, so it might be a case of reviewing regularly, not the number of reviews.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Sep 2012 20:32:53 BDT
I am getting quite dispirited by the number of negative votes I'm getting. I can't believe you had thousands of them - how horrible.

Also, I find it hard to believe that filters can detect the motives behind negative votes - how on earth do they know which are malicious and which aren't?

One thing Amazon could possibly do that might be useful would be to add a line to the "unhelpful" button saying, words to the effect, "It would be helpful to the reviewer if you could add a few words as to why you consider their review unhelpful."

Posted on 27 Sep 2012 07:32:53 BDT
Last edited by the author on 27 Sep 2012 07:34:06 BDT
Crookedmouth says:
Sue.

Adding requests for qualifications to negative votes will have ro effect at all. I can assure you. Simply keep writing your reviews and eventually the appreciation of genuine voters will outweigh the PSYF brigade.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Sep 2012 08:23:03 BDT
Damaskcat says:
Sue - the software spots patterns of voting - e.g. the person who sits there and goes through several pages of your reviews and votes them all down. Someone who finds your reviews and reads some of them voting some helpful and some not may be genuine. Someone who clicks on each review in turn and votes each one down would be spotted by the software. Amazon don't say exactly how it works but it does work - I have noticed before now that I have lost 20 or 30 negative votes overnight.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Sep 2012 10:07:28 BDT
I thought (no doubt, naively) it might dissuade the malicious voter - but come to think of it, it would probably just encourage them to be abusive!

PSYF?

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Sep 2012 10:13:22 BDT
Thank you, Damaskcat.
I cannot think why I was the only one to vote that your post added to the discussion, as it was genuinely very interesting - would this be malicious voters again? I must admit I find the whole thing a bit disturbing...

Posted on 27 Sep 2012 11:52:39 BDT
Last edited by the author on 27 Sep 2012 12:13:46 BDT
Mr. J. Ryden says:
Of course, the obvious thing would be take away both positive and negative votes altogether. Let people make their own minds up as to whether a review has merit or not.

Personally before buying anything off Amazon i'll read a few reviews from each catagory 1-5 stars then draw my own conclusions.

Given the proclivity of people to either maliciously 'neg' others or boost their own ratings unfairly no doubt nets off to nothing either way. Can't have one without the other.

Edit: Speelllling

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Sep 2012 12:11:24 BDT
Crookedmouth says:
A reference to the social and sanitary habits (or lack thereof) of the habitual neg-voter. Common decency forbids me from spelling it out, especially as you are clearly a laydee. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Sep 2012 12:50:00 BDT

Posted on 27 Sep 2012 12:54:22 BDT
Crookedmouth says:
Oh all right. Such fellows reside, allegedly, at home with their mother, lurking in front of their computers in in dungeon-like bedrooms, surrounded by empty cola bottles and pizza boxes and wearing (allegedly, I stress) nothing but Pi$$-Stained Y-Fronts.

Sorry to put that image in your head :-)
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the top reviewers discussion forum (513 discussions)

This discussion

Participants:  67
Total posts:  391
Initial post:  12 May 2011
Latest post:  20 Sep 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 13 customers

Search Customer Discussions