Customer Discussions > top reviewers discussion forum

Should Amazon Abolish the Negative Vote Altogether?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on 12 Nov 2014 11:33:00 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 12 Nov 2014 11:33:07 GMT]

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Nov 2014 12:44:36 GMT
Kev Green says:
Absolutely yes.

Posted on 5 Nov 2014 08:36:39 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 5 Nov 2014 08:36:49 GMT]

Posted on 5 Nov 2014 08:07:04 GMT
Alan Jones says:
Yes

Posted on 3 Nov 2014 19:03:18 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 3 Nov 2014 19:03:26 GMT]

Posted on 3 Nov 2014 18:18:48 GMT
,, says:
Abolish the negative vote, I agree.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Nov 2014 12:02:30 GMT
Last edited by the author on 3 Nov 2014 12:04:07 GMT
Quiverbow says:
I might be wrong but I think most people who read reviews aren't even aware you can comment on them. If they do read them, I'm sure the majority are intelligent enough to decide whether a negative comment is constructive or just someone going off on one because a reviewer didn't like the latest Star Wars DVD or something.

As the negative vote has been around at least as long as I've been reviewing, Amazon must believe it doesn't need changing. Whatever anyone here thinks, until it starts affecting their bottom line, they won't do anything about it.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Nov 2014 11:06:14 GMT
Alan Cambs says:
I think that is already the case with reviews, but there are plenty of pretty scathing ones to be found, so clearly just not liking what someone has to say is not enough for deletion. Someone has to decide whether a reply constitutes a sound argument, rather than just an irate rant. Amazon has a vested interest in their review system, so it is in their interest to properly maintain it, even if that involves some cost. Otherwise, customers may lose confidence, which may affect sales.

Posted on 3 Nov 2014 10:50:39 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 3 Nov 2014 10:50:47 GMT]

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Nov 2014 10:13:54 GMT
Quiverbow says:
The problem with the 'report abuse' button is that it would get abused. Everyone would be reporting a negative comment in the hope of getting the vote and comment deleted. Someone will have to read all those comments to decide.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Nov 2014 09:40:41 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 3 Nov 2014 09:42:30 GMT]

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Nov 2014 09:39:56 GMT
Alan Cambs says:
I wasn't aware of the new minimum of 1 character, which probably isn't a positive step. As for vetting, well there is always the 'Report abuse' button that anyone can use. However, although I still think that a right to reply should be available, I have to agree that the voting system doesn't really help the customer and, on balance, should be completely abolished.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Nov 2014 08:56:50 GMT
Quiverbow says:
"if the 'unhelpful' vote is to be retained, explanations should be required; when genuine, this would actually be of value to the Amazon user - so, it needs to be properly vetted and at least as many characters required as is for the review."

As it's a voting system, in view of fairness, wouldn't helpful votes also need explaining? The other thing with having to explain why is that most would put things like, "Because I can" or even "kjjegpoiv na;9". And who is going to vet these comments? I'm not saying it's a bad idea, just that it's unworkable. And the minimum number of characters needed for a review is now one, so that suggestion is a non starter.

Posted on 3 Nov 2014 08:35:26 GMT
Mr Pen says:
I also use reviews to decide whether to buy or not. I would prefer somebody write a review to inform other people about a product though, rather than to massage their own ego.

Posted on 2 Nov 2014 21:07:11 GMT
Alan Cambs says:
Having been a reviewer for a few years, I can't honestly see the point of the 'unhelpful' vote; that said, the 'helpful' vote doesn't serve much purpose, either, other than to bolster the ego of the reviewer - but there is no harm in that and I'd be a liar if I didn't admit to checking my ranking (just out of curiosity, of course). That said, I think abuse of the 'unhelpful' vote is more important, in that I suspect that it isn't just trolls, but also parties with a vested interest in a product. The 'helpful' vote is gratifying and if that encourages reviewing, I think that is a good thing - I personally use reviews a lot in deciding what products to buy or avoid; it is a powerful tool, but perhaps sometimes too powerful? A right to reply (as it were) should be provided and, not as it is currently [where the critical replies are not readily visible], but as part of the review thread itself, so that when reading a review, any criticisms are also displayed immediately below. This last point is I think the key to the argument, i.e. if the 'unhelpful' vote is to be retained, explanations should be required; when genuine, this would actually be of value to the Amazon user - so, it needs to be properly vetted and at least as many characters required as is for the review. That would deter trolls and give "product owners" a proper counter-argument right to reply, which is only fair.

Posted on 30 Oct 2014 14:13:10 GMT
Nelson Viper says:
A lot of votes aren't about the reviews they're about the product so if some one hates something the reviewer likes or visa versa they just sort of hit the button. It depends what you are reviewing. A kettle that doesn't work is fairly clear cut. Reviews of books, films or music are about taste.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Sep 2014 17:31:54 BDT
NeuroSplicer says:
After over 2,300 posts it may not be unanimous (or even by a landslide) yet it has become pretty obvious that the majority of Amazon reviewers would rather see the negative vote abolished.

Just to clarify, however, this is the discussion on (the constant abuse and need for abolition of) the negative vote on a review - not on the possibility of negative reviews of a product.

Posted on 7 Sep 2014 12:09:43 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 7 Sep 2014 12:09:54 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Aug 2014 08:42:39 BDT
ziggy_fan says:
Yes abolish it, I have at least one troll who does the same to me as you have experienced.

Posted on 28 Aug 2014 20:56:48 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 11 Oct 2014 14:43:04 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Aug 2014 11:45:22 BDT
Mr Pen says:
Yes but you shouldn't tell the world how bad a supplier is by reviewing the product they are supplying, unless they are manufacturing it too. You can rate Amazon sellers separately, and it is displayed for everybody to see when buying a product. This is actually very useful.

If you slag off a company who sold you a product in a review, what happens to all the other sellers of that product? They are all tarred by the same brush.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Aug 2014 15:32:39 BDT
Rebecca says:
Angry people tend to vent their frustrations in an unfair review.
Perhaps they should be asked to wait a day then think once more before slating off some unsuspecting company.
On the other hand if the company repeatedly refuses to pay refunds or is late with deliveries I would like to know and would choose not to order off them

Posted on 26 Aug 2014 22:05:23 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 27 Aug 2014 00:31:24 BDT]

Posted on 26 Aug 2014 21:41:40 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 27 Aug 2014 00:31:12 BDT]

Posted on 11 Aug 2014 12:16:38 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 11 Aug 2014 12:16:49 BDT]
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  221
Total posts:  2381
Initial post:  11 Mar 2010
Latest post:  9 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 28 customers

Search Customer Discussions