Customer Discussions > top reviewers discussion forum

Effect of negative votes on ranking

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 326-350 of 391 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 5 May 2014 22:36:34 BDT
The Leveller says:
Why? You've done nothing bad Bone!

It's a public forum. If somebody wants to come out into the open and spill their guts to all and sunder then prepare for the walking dead to descend! We all know what happens here.

I just want to know who this Pompus bloke is? I can't figure out if it was a put down or he really thinks I'm this Pompus the well known troll? Too clever for me! :-(

In reply to an earlier post on 5 May 2014 22:53:56 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 5 May 2014 23:06:00 BDT]

Posted on 6 May 2014 04:14:43 BDT
Paul Price says:
My goodness. I'm sorry but I think people are taking their reviews far too seriously. Some of you are obsessed. Madness.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 May 2014 10:53:05 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 6 May 2014 18:53:13 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 6 May 2014 11:01:22 BDT
The Leveller says:
Hi Indefinite Monkey and thanks for the reply.

I wasn't asking how do you post so many reviews, it's obvious how to do that. Just put the time in and write them. What I asked is How do you award yourself so many positive votes in such a short space of time (as you said you do at every opportunity)

I honestly do not know how you do it?

In reply to an earlier post on 6 May 2014 11:59:27 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 6 May 2014 18:20:37 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 6 May 2014 12:17:58 BDT
The Leveller says:
Oh!

So you're saying Amazon allow self voting? What if the top of the chart reviewers don't self vote. Doesn't that give you an unfair advantage? You cannot just assume they all do.

How did you drop one place overnight yet a few around you shot up the rankings. You self voted over 100 times yet one person who rose several places gained only a few votes? The few negatives you received were negligible compared to the few they received.

How does that one work then?

Posted on 6 May 2014 12:38:14 BDT
Last edited by the author on 6 May 2014 12:40:32 BDT
It was very strange to come back to this forum and find 45 unread posts on this thread.

I have read through a few of the posts and the argument seems to be quantity over quality. That is : "I can't write a good review so I will just write a huge number of hastily-scribbled notes and hope that works."

I think that some reviewers get up the rankings because they write high quality reviews and genuinely help people reading those reviews. I am sure that's what Amazon intended to happen and set up the system to do. What this does show you, is that setting up a system with targets doesn't always work out the way it was intended.

In the NHS, setting targets got people looking at ways to meet those targets, rather than what was supposed to happen; which was helping people. So on Amazon, it's clear that the idea was to have people write reviews that helped other people, but instead has had the effect of reviewers trying to "play the system".

In reply to an earlier post on 6 May 2014 12:49:18 BDT
"How does that one work then?"

I think it has been mentioned here before, that although you can "self-vote" and Amazon does nothing to stop this; those votes don't actually have any effect on ranking and only genuine votes count. 3 or 4 genuine votes, count for more than any number of self-votes, as far as ranking is concerned.

In the end, a genuinely *good* or helpful review, is worth far more than hundreds or thousands of hastily-conceived ones. As it will keep getting votes, while the hasty ones will not and the short-lived bonus of having so many appearing, will fade quite quickly.

Posted on 6 May 2014 14:28:16 BDT
A customer says:
"What if the top of the chart reviewers don't self vote. Doesn't that give you an unfair advantage? You cannot just assume they all do."

True, and I imagine that some do and others don't. With votes there is never a way to prove anything (unless they come out and say that they self vote of course)

It's natural to have suspicions. Even for those that don't review but do post on discussions. I have had suspicions, but no matter how it looks there is always the chance that they are unfounded.
That I have noticed that at least two people seem to find every thing Kenneth says "adds to the discussion", while finding that everything I say doesn't (usually in quick succession) is nothing more than an unprovable fact in my mind, which isn't really worth thinking about.

Posted on 6 May 2014 18:26:39 BDT
I Readalot says:
I am confused as far as I am aware Amazon do not 'allow' self-voting. In fact at the bottom of each of your own reviews it states this quite clearly.

Posted on 7 May 2014 00:10:15 BDT
digsblues says:
Well, IM, thanks for proving my theory, but no need to go overboard.

Posted on 7 May 2014 07:16:17 BDT
Who is IM and what have they done?

Posted on 7 May 2014 14:31:28 BDT
A customer says:
Nothing so terrible. Just a bit of a mix up with a (what should have been anonymous) post. Although I see they have deleted all their posts (and changed name again) except for the post from "Trajan" who is clearly the same person, if you follow one of the links from the last page. You may as well just delete that post as well now Trajan/IM!

Actually I should thank IM, as I was worried that it looked like I had been self voting on my reviews. So cheers for clearing that one up :)

In reply to an earlier post on 7 May 2014 15:39:58 BDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on 7 May 2014 19:07:15 BDT
A customer says:
I would have thought that it was obvious that it has been deleted Kenneth. You appear to be trying to argue with something which just isn't there anymore :)

Posted on 7 May 2014 20:09:27 BDT
digsblues says:
I just peek in here from time to time. I would never accuse anyone of self-voting, but did watch Fluffy Monkey get 25 pozzies on his newest reviews. They seemed to count, too, since he went up (or down) in ranking by three.

It is interesting to see.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 May 2014 20:20:27 BDT
A customer says:
I'm sure it's much more interesting here than in boring old U.S.A digsblues, so nobody could blame you for "peeking in".

There is no need to "accuse anyone of self-voting" when they have already said they do. You can just also say that they do.

Lol @ Fluffy Monkey.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 May 2014 20:30:24 BDT
I Readalot says:
It was deleted shortly after I read it, and about the time that I posted the comment.

Posted on 8 May 2014 01:08:37 BDT
digsblues says:
When I suggested that posting new reviews daily will up a rating, I didn't mean 50 reviews a day. We'll see what happens in the continuing saga of Fluffy Monkey. Will he advance to #1 in the Empire? Only time will tell.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 May 2014 07:16:06 BDT
Not at all, as I was late to this debate, it seemed that the only post that applied to was my own and I just wanted to clarify.

Posted on 8 May 2014 13:31:32 BDT
A customer says:
Well actually you joined this "debate" on 06/05/14 at 12.38.

The posts were not deleted until 06/05/14 at 18.20 , 18.53 & 19.09.

Giving you over 6 hours to have read them.

But anyway...

Posted on 8 May 2014 16:40:23 BDT
I think you must have more time on your hands than I do.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 May 2014 17:58:01 BDT
A customer says:
Not at all. I'm just surprised that you seem determined to contradict yourself all the time.

Either -

You had read the posts, so was fully aware of what was happening, but you just fancied starting an argument with "I Readalot"

Or

You charged head long into this "debate" without even bothering to read a post, which was only two posts before yours.

I just notice when things don't add up. That's all.

Posted on 9 May 2014 07:54:17 BDT
As I said :

" it seemed that the only post that applied to was my own and I just wanted to clarify."
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  67
Total posts:  391
Initial post:  12 May 2011
Latest post:  20 Sep 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 13 customers

Search Customer Discussions