Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > top reviewers discussion forum

Should participation in this forum be limited to the top 1000 reviewers?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 34 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 16 Jun 2010 13:21:32 BDT
Damaskcat says:
Would we get more interesting debates if participation in this forum was limited to the Top Reviewers? Would it limit the number of trolls? After all the Vine forum is limited to Vine Voices so why not limit participation in this one to the top reviewers?
Your reply to Damaskcat's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

Posted on 16 Jun 2010 14:15:24 BDT
Danny says:
From what Pundit said a while back the Vine forum has its own problems, so I don't see how that would help matters. Plus, as I am currently about 1500, and J J Graber is over 4000 odd, I think the top 1000 would be a bit too exclusive.

Its far easier just to click the ignore button.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jun 2010 14:18:13 BDT
Damaskcat says:
The Vine forum is like a children's tea party at present though agree there have been problems in the past. How about 5000 then? It was just an idea

By the way I haven't seen the #1 reviewer himself about for ages and he hasn't reviewed anything for a couple of months - I hope he's OK

Posted on 16 Jun 2010 17:56:20 BDT
Molly Brown says:
Initial post: 16 Jun 2010 07:44 BST
Last edited by the author 10 hours ago
Mr Pineapples says:

You're kidding me right?

You take all this Amazon Top Reviewer Guff seriously?

You do? And you are proud of your ratings? The high ones?

You cannot be serious !

Oh come on buddie - you and I both know that top ratings means High Five reviews on popular books - reviews designed to stroke the egos of the bored - to lather the egos of the individuals who already decided they like the book.

Pardon? So you think you are some sort of literary critic now?

You are kidding me right?

Posted on 16 Jun 2010 18:15:34 BDT
Molly Brown says:
TOP REVIEWERS, WE ARE NOT WORTHY?

Initial post: 15 Jun 2010 15:00 BST
Last edited by the author on 15 Jun 2010 15:07 BST
Mark Wallace says:

"Just wondering has anyone on the forum ever tried reporting negative votes received? Do Amazon actually go to the trouble of seeing if they're all from one person?
I ask because I've just received 3 negs in the last half hour, and all on reviews that had previously only positive votes (7/7, 6/6 and 5/5). I'm pretty sure I know who they're from, but obviously have no proof, so I'm wondering is there a point in reporting it to Amazon."

n.b.
I think Mark is in the top 1000 reviewers, and until this point was against abolishing the negative vote. So, elitist club, why are you trolling one of your own. I am surprised he even noticed, he has thousands of votes.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jun 2010 18:38:30 BDT
Last edited by the author on 16 Jun 2010 18:39:01 BDT
NJ

1) There is no 'elitist club' - anyone can become ranked in the top 1000, given time.

2) You are making an assumption that it is a reviewer ranked in the top 1000 who is voting negatively on reviews. It might not even be someone who posts comments. It might be more than one person. The truth is, no-one apart from the person or persons concerned knows.

Posted on 16 Jun 2010 18:50:55 BDT
Molly Brown says:
Well L. Hennessy, when I buy an Airgun and BB Bullits, perhaps I can write a review like yours. What do you use it for exactly.
Killing things perhaps!

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jun 2010 18:57:46 BDT
Damaskcat says:
L Hennessy - definitely not an elitist club!!

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jun 2010 19:01:12 BDT
You've just made a huge jump from discussing Mark's received negative votes, which I tried to answer by pointing out things you had perhaps overlooked, to bringing up the topic of items I have reviewed. How is this relevant? A bit of a non-sequitur, don't you think?

What do you think about the two points I made in the post above?

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jun 2010 19:09:23 BDT
Damaskcat says:
L Henessy - this is how her argument started with me. When you ask something she doesn't want to answer she posts about something which is irrelevant to the subject under discussion. She's very good at making unfounded accusations.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jun 2010 19:14:08 BDT
Molly Brown says:
But Hennessy, I am not really allowed on this site, as I am not in your elitist club of the Top 1000. So you shouldn't even be wasting you time talking to the likes of me.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jun 2010 19:21:33 BDT
I don't like seeing people feel persecuted, DC - I'm only trying to help clarify the situation as far as I see it.

I'm of the opinion that the huge majority of people are decent, kind, and try to do the best they can, and I really don't think anyone is going to expend the amount of effort necessary to mount a sustained voting campaign against Mark or herself - it's simply not worth it.

I do hope NJ can relax a bit and try to focus less on the votes and more on sharing viewpoints on different issues - this is what both the forum and reviews are for (in my opinion) and it's why I enjoy participating in both of them - she would find it far more rewarding, I'm sure.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jun 2010 19:23:07 BDT
NJ - I don't think the forum should be limited to the top 100,000 reviewers, let alone the top 1,000. It's just less people to talk to, that's all. Not good :)

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jun 2010 19:31:59 BDT
Damaskcat says:
L H - My OP was just an idea ....

I've always worked on the principle that the majority of people are ok and I can't see anyone conducting a campaign against anyone because it just isn't possible - apparently - to get it past the software.

Posted on 16 Jun 2010 19:35:56 BDT
Danny says:
L Hennessy, you have the patience of a saint.

St Jude, to be exact...

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jun 2010 19:37:16 BDT
Damaskcat says:
Mark Twain - LOL!!

Posted on 16 Jun 2010 20:13:11 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 20 Jun 2010 12:14:49 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Jun 2010 09:34:22 BDT
Damaskcat says:
Shock horror!! NJ admits she was rude to someone. I thought it was always the other person being rude to her ;-)

Posted on 20 Jun 2010 09:53:52 BDT
Last edited by the author on 20 Jun 2010 09:54:39 BDT
Looks like this thread has a gone a little off topic there.....

If I can return to the origional point, my own position in the ranking fluctuates by an average of maybe 50-100 places up or down most days, I think most of those only recently emerging in the top 1000 probably find the same happens, so if this forum was restricted to the top 1000 only, those at the end of the scale would be let in and out until they managed to get a decent foot hold in the rankings. Thus causing them to lose out on big chunks of conversation they may be involved in and causing them to have to play catch up.

As it is there's only the odd thread that seems to go wild with comments anyway, so I don't think it's really overcrowded in here. And by allowing everyone access to this thread it gives newer reviewers a simple way to comunicate with top reviewers and perhaps get some hints and tips from them on how to improve their ranking.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Jun 2010 10:02:22 BDT
Damaskcat says:
Good point - you're right the individual's position in the ranking does change virtually every day.

Posted on 20 Jun 2010 11:12:18 BDT
JJG says:
Hmm, I hadn't noticed this thread. I have to say I'm really opposed to the idea of any limit on who can view or comment on this forum. I'm not even sure why Vine is not available for anyone else to see (I didn't even know it existed before it was mentioned here), it just sets up a bad foundation for a forum in my opinion. While this forum I think could serve a really useful purpose for new reviewers wanting to learn a bit more about the system, rather than a trial and error approach. Or even following amazon's guide, it's always easier to just ask a question of real people than follow a guide.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Jun 2010 11:17:51 BDT
Damaskcat says:
JJ G - it was only an idea for discussion.

I think the Vine forum is limited to Vine members so that it isn't full of people saying why can't I get free stuff as well ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Jun 2010 11:19:22 BDT
Molly Brown says:
I think it would be a good idea to have a NEW forum altogether, entitled, "REVIEWERS FORUM" and listed on other sites so that all Amazon Reviewers can see it and participate. I think most people don't know this site exists at all! I am sure new and old reviewers whatever their ranking would enjoy participating in discussions about reviews in general.

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Jun 2010 11:19:33 BDT
JJG says:
Not a bad reason, I'd be spamming that forum to death, lol. ;)

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Jun 2010 12:14:42 BDT
Damaskcat says:
'New' and 'Old' reveiewers are the same people it's just the two different ranking/voting systems running side by side.

I think it would be a good idea to have a reviewers' forum to discuss reveiwing in general.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the top reviewers discussion forum (512 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  7
Total posts:  34
Initial post:  16 Jun 2010
Latest post:  21 Jun 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions