Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > top reviewers discussion forum

markin your own reviews

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 46 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 20 Apr 2014 00:05:43 BDT
Well Iwas quite shocked at the people that mark up their own reviews, what's the point in doing that, your only fooling yourself and it is a very sad thing to do

Posted on 20 Apr 2014 00:20:28 BDT
Quiverbow says:
They do it because they can.

Posted on 20 Apr 2014 07:50:42 BDT
A customer says:
Yes it's a very sad thing to do. And yes they do it because they can. But it's hardly suprising when you look at society as a whole - benefits cheats, cowboy builders, rogue traders - and various other channel 5 daytime tv shows.
If there is a shortcut, or a quick and easy way to get ahead, someone will be willing to take it.

I think the problem stems from the voting system itself - in allowing it to be possible. From my understanding - I could go through all your reviews and make all the ones with no votes 1-1. Amazon software wouldn't pick up on the fact that all these votes have come from the same account, on the same day. The votes would stand (although only the first one would affect your ranking).
If however I went through all your reviews which already had at least one vote on, and tried to add another 1 - then, Amazon software wouldn't accept the votes after the first or maybe second vote (or if it does accept them, it will run software later to correct and delete these votes). It's something to do with that first vote.

Solution - surely Amazon could modify their software, to use the same filter on the first vote cast, as it does on those there after. Prevention over cure!

Posted on 20 Apr 2014 17:48:39 BDT
Last edited by the author on 20 Apr 2014 17:48:54 BDT
There is already another discussion on this subject, titled "voting on your own reviews".

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Apr 2014 19:00:35 BDT
Bob says:
Perhaps the way things are going is being tested on the "Help Community" there is lots I don't like about the new format of the forum but the only voting option is:-

8 people think this reply helps answer the question. Do you?

Posted on 21 Apr 2014 19:25:32 BDT
A customer says:
Please tell me you aren't talking about a Facebook-style "like" system??

If so, please see the "Should Amazon Abolish the Negative Vote Altogether?" thread :)

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Apr 2014 19:45:29 BDT
Last edited by the author on 21 Apr 2014 19:48:25 BDT
Bob says:
I have never used facebook so no idea, but you are right it has been done to death on almost all forums and Amazon will do as the wish any way however here is a link to the "Help community" if you have not seen the format.
It does have the one advantage that you can see who is talking at each other.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/forums/ref=cs_hc_g_bc_thread?ie=UTF8&forumID=Fx8DKXNI5KP8IK

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Apr 2014 20:03:37 BDT
A customer says:
If you haven't used Facebook then consider yourself lucky. Unless you get pleasure out of having to read things written by supposedly intelligent people along the line of - "YAY! I thought I had lost my iphone, but it was in my pocket the whole time, LOL!!!". And the worst thing is that loads of "friends" will actually "like" this. It's purely about give and take (so to speak).

I had a look at the "Help community" and the lay out looks fine, but I don't really see why they only encourage "yes" votes. All that happens is the people with no votes at all, get depressed!

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Apr 2014 20:21:53 BDT
Bob says:
The main disadvantage of the new format is that you can't see the number of posts since your last visit so unless you tag everything to get emails you can't easily track what is going on.

Posted on 21 Apr 2014 20:48:13 BDT
A customer says:
Probably the scientists who invented the forums are still tweaking it :)

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Apr 2014 22:13:46 BDT
"8 people think this reply helps answer the question. Do you? "

This is the equivalent of a "like" on Facebook. I knew it would happen eventually. Amazon steal or buy up everybody's best ideas and use them as their own.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Apr 2014 22:37:30 BDT
A customer says:
Facebook can hardly claim credit for the concept of "opting in", or complain if Amazon (wrongly) decides to use it.

Besides hadn't you already "opted out" of this discussion earlier :)

Posted on 22 Apr 2014 08:24:04 BDT
A customer says:
"I knew it would happen eventually. Amazon steal or buy up everybody's best ideas and use them as their own."

If this is the case then why have you spent weeks saying they should do it?

Posted on 22 Apr 2014 18:05:34 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 22 Apr 2014 18:05:44 BDT]

Posted on 23 Apr 2014 08:15:40 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 24 Apr 2014 22:57:34 BDT]

Posted on 23 Apr 2014 13:35:42 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 16 May 2014 09:31:53 BDT]

Posted on 23 Apr 2014 16:30:11 BDT
Bonemonkey, if most of your friends make idiotic comments on facebook, then why are they your friends?

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Apr 2014 16:34:01 BDT
The look and feel of that forum reminds me of the ebay forums, more than anything. Though the absence of a NO button does kind of make it a LIKE button by default.

Posted on 23 Apr 2014 17:35:13 BDT
Last edited by the author on 23 Apr 2014 17:36:23 BDT
A customer says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Apr 2014 18:55:45 BDT
That doesn't say anything about Facebook itself, burt rather about the type of people who were your "friends", as has been pointed out.

When I use Facebook, I make sure that I only befriend people I know and I only join groups where I have an interest in the subject. I have never seen any of these people or groups post anything "idiotic", but if I did, I would just stop following them.

The actual mechanism and systems of Facbook are very good and that was why I had no doubt that Amazon would follow them. But we know that people can be idiots and Facebook allows you to only keep in touch with those who are not.

As they say : "Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater".

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Apr 2014 19:22:13 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 24 Apr 2014 22:56:13 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Apr 2014 19:47:29 BDT
Amazon have had a function exactly like the Facebook 'Like' tab long before Facebook even existed. It's called the 'Yes' tab. Still not sure why you keep comparing / confusing the two sites. btw, what are the Jazz forums like on Facebook?

Posted on 23 Apr 2014 21:02:28 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 23 Apr 2014 23:02:46 BDT]

Posted on 24 Apr 2014 07:07:57 BDT
A customer says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Apr 2014 08:20:01 BDT
Bob says:
With all these "social sites" if they do not do what you want them to for you it is just best to abandon them.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the top reviewers discussion forum (529 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  13
Total posts:  46
Initial post:  20 Apr 2014
Latest post:  15 Sep 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions