Customer Discussions > thriller discussion forum

Announcement

Important Announcement from Amazon

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 82 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 15 Dec 2011 21:20:19 GMT
Amazon recently created a new community for authors. The `Meet Our Authors' community is designed to give authors a space to engage with one another and promote their latest and greatest works.

With the advent of the new community, we will no longer allow self-promotional posts in other communities. Starting on December 15, 2011, all "shameless self-promotion" activity will be limited to the `Meet Our Authors' community. Promotional threads outside of these forums will be removed.

We invite authors and interested readers to come join the discussion at:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/forum/meet%20our%20authors

We look forward to seeing you!

Posted on 16 Dec 2011 08:49:24 GMT
You will need to make it easy for customers to find then - and if I start seeing loads of 'no votes' there I think I'll fall over!

Posted on 16 Dec 2011 10:24:58 GMT
Last edited by the author on 16 Dec 2011 10:40:42 GMT
Dead right, I've been deleted many times when other promos featured on the same thread have not. People tend to accidently stray. You need to make these threads easier to recognize.

How long before this post gets a 'no vote'

Posted on 25 Jan 2012 04:57:27 GMT
Why can't authors have categories to post their synopsis's or reviews? We need a genre thread of; Romance; Fiction a) Mystery b) Mystery Thriller c) Thriller/Horror d) Medical Mystery e) Then there is Sci-Fi

I had thought I posted info about my newly published novel, in the correct thread, but I cannot even find any of those posts which were on the same page as my posting.

I do not think readers will bother to spend time searching for us, but it does seem that the Kindles are getting precedence over the original books. Many people, okay, maybe the older ones, still prefer the crisp, attractive cover and quality pages of the books on their shelves.

Posted on 31 Jan 2012 14:21:37 GMT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on 4 Feb 2012 21:05:33 GMT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on 4 Feb 2012 21:27:05 GMT
I don't think GR does sell books (it has a book swap facility) but it does have advertising for other sellers like Audible.

The information that GR gave said that Amazon was withdrawing access to publishing data.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Feb 2012 07:22:22 GMT
Garscadden says:
Hopefully that just means that Shelfari is going to integrate more closely, which is a damn good thing. i like Shelfari.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Apr 2012 15:26:11 BDT
demeter1948 says:

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Apr 2012 15:33:29 BDT
demeter1948 says:

Posted on 3 Sep 2012 15:48:18 BDT
Sou'Wester says:
See there's a piece in today's "Guardian" with allegations about a top crime writer indulging in fake glowing reviews for his own work and rubbishing his competitors. When the top professionals indulge in this despicable sort of behaviour it's hardly surprising that some of the amateurs and SP writers think it's all right to do the same thing. It's all a great shame but I don't suppose there's much we can do about it.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Sep 2012 19:49:14 BDT
Anita says:
Someone posted the link elsewhere, but is it the same case that you are talking about?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-19465081

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Sep 2012 20:44:21 BDT
Garscadden says:
With respect to Millar - there was a spate of Cormac Mac, Noir Fan, Crime Lover and Crime Queen promo here a year or two ago - I seem to remember Amazon deleted a bunch of them - they are pretty obviously shill accounts.

Posted on 3 Sep 2012 22:08:45 BDT
Anita says:
Or else it's this one? What is it? Plague?..

http://news.sky.com/story/980239/crime-novelist-rj-ellory-faked-book-reviews

Posted on 4 Sep 2012 00:15:49 BDT
Anita says:
Seems freesia and Co have been here :)

Posted on 4 Sep 2012 07:55:31 BDT
Sou'Wester says:
It was the Ellory case that I picked up but obviously this is not an isolated incident. All very depressing, and if the "big boys" indulge in these dirty tricks it's hard to condemn the minor writers who feel they've got to do the same sort of thing to get their work noticed. Although it's clearly immoral and despicable I don't know if they've done anything illegal. It would be good if people like Ellory could be made an example of (maybe all reputable retail outlets, including Amazon, could refuse to sell their books) but I suspect commercial gain will take precedence over integrity. Perversely, he may even benefit from the publicity.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Sep 2012 10:38:52 BDT
Anita says:
It *is* depressing to think that everything goes down to marketing, instead of quality, be that literature or football. There is a guy here, an expert of French literature, and he publishes a very detailed article every year about the nominees and winners of the biggest French literature awards. Sadly, it rarely sparks the *real* interest, like 'I *must* read this!'

Maybe strange, but so many authors seem to think they know what 'sells', and even (allegedly) knowing that more often than not does not help to write a good book. A real torrent of books right now dealing with some kind of grandparent/grandchild relationship, two timelines intersecting (present and flashbacks), usually one of the many wars, emigration/immigration, terrorism, some exotic countries <...>. Some of those books are even really good, but the subject does get tiresome after reading a couple of such. Sometimes it seems that integrity is lost along the process of writing, ie long before the 'selling' tricks start.

To find something new and good of thriller variety is quite a chore. Luckily for me, I do have lots of Iain M. Banks et al for catching up :)

Posted on 4 Sep 2012 10:58:46 BDT
Anita says:
P.S. Some books of the aforementioned variety that spring to mind immediately
The Tiger's Wife
On Canaan's Side
Random Acts Of Heroic Love

None of them a masterpiece in my opinion, all of them worth reading. Just, erm, perhaps a bit off-topic on thriller forum actually

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Oct 2012 15:18:44 BDT
A. R. Hughes says:
As a newly published author, and very new to Amazon, I answered some questions on the Readers Forum, without realising there was an Author Forum. Sample questions: Someone wanted a murder book set in England, so I suggested mine. Another: Someone wanted one under £2, again I said 'Try mine'. All this was truly, perfectly innocent, but I could not believe the abusive comments I was sent. They were extremely rude and totally unnecessary. They made me feel ill! Why are people so nasty? Why do you allow it? Also, why do these people seem to think they can insult people's work? They must spend their whole life on line! Please Amazon, stop this abuse!

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Oct 2012 15:52:58 BDT
Anita says:
Now you went over the top, lady. Why won't you read the OP (sorry, I mean the original post!) of this very thread you are posting now? Hasn't it ever occured to you that you can be wrong too?

Now you are screaming: I'm acting against the rules, kill all those who noticed!!! Just funny

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Oct 2012 16:40:59 BDT
Little frog says:
A R Hughes (so there is no doubt to whom I am replying).

Why didn't you read this post before putting all your reviews on at least 10 different forums? And even with the fact that they should not be there but on the Author's Forum instead, you still have not deleted them?

How have any of the responses been rude and abusive?

And, last but not least - as far as I can see nobody has insulted your work - just suggested they are very short books (11, 20 and 25 pages!!) - not exactly full length novels.

Perhaps you would like to answer these three simple questions without whinging any more.

So, as far as I can see at the moment the only abuse is coming from you.

Posted on 13 Oct 2012 16:57:47 BDT
Bookmark says:
A R Hughes - I am curious - first, the author of the books you were promoting is named Angela Ash, the illustrator Shelly Hughes. Where does A R Hughes fit into that. You persistently say that you are the author, in my mind that means that you are one of the two aforementioned ladies. Why then not use your real name?

Secondly, why as a new author posting on unfamiliar forums did you not at least read what had gone on previously on the forum? That would have shown you very clearly what was and was not acceptable.

Instead of deleting the posts and putting the information in the correct place you persist in blaming everyone but yourself. Both Anita and Little Frog have been giving you excellent advice, I suggest you take it before you upset yourself anymore.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Oct 2012 17:50:09 BDT

Posted on 20 Oct 2012 01:21:58 BDT
D. Donovan says:

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Oct 2012 07:47:32 BDT
B. Heather says:
As one of the "older ones", I prefer the kindle to "crisp attractive cover and quality pages of books." Stop
generalising, we older ones are not all techno-phobic, dribbling imbeciles. You just lost my vote.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the thriller discussion forum (396 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  thriller discussion forum
Participants:  25
Total posts:  82
Initial post:  15 Dec 2011
Latest post:  14 Sep 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions