Customer Discussions > thriller discussion forum

Tagging read books

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-19 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 16 Feb 2013 13:39:07 GMT
Ms C. Kaleda says:
I have so many books on my kindle I have just started to put them in collections but I can't always remember the ones I have read - would anyone know if there is a way to 'tag' the ones you have read?

Posted on 18 Feb 2013 11:05:28 GMT
Ms C. Kaleda says:
oh dear no response to my plight, obviously this is just not possible. what a shame. Come on kindle I cannot be the only customer who loves keeping her books but cannot always remember the titles of the ones already read!! Does anyone else thinking that tagging of your completed books would be a good idea.

Posted on 18 Feb 2013 15:14:59 GMT
It's a good idea but no idea how to do it....

Posted on 18 Feb 2013 15:30:10 GMT
Anita says:
Post your question on Kindle forum.

(Personally, I don't know)

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Feb 2013 11:16:46 GMT
Ms C. Kaleda says:
Hi Anita
I thought this was the kindle forum, is there somewhere I can actually make a suggestion to kindle? That would be great

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Feb 2013 11:39:13 GMT
TomC says:
Hi Ms C

This is the thriller forum. Here's a link to the Kindle forum .....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/forum/kindle

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Feb 2013 15:35:15 GMT
I have created folders on my kindle, one called Read and one called Unread - move the books into the Read folder after I have read it

Posted on 23 Feb 2013 16:21:33 GMT
LFW says:
I also have 'read' and 'to read' collections on my Kindle. Perhaps if Ms Kaleda leaves her 'read' books on the last page it would be easy enough to open each one & find those on the last page have been read, and those opening at the first page have not. Also, the downloads that haven't been opened at all are identified as New before the title. Hope this helps

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Feb 2013 13:16:12 GMT
Ms C. Kaleda says:
Thank you. Yes I did this to start with but then wanted to make my folders themes or writers or collections and it just doesn't work when you also have a read folder.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Feb 2013 13:19:23 GMT
Ms C. Kaleda says:
Thanks. I am aware that new downloads have a new tag but sometimes I open a new book to read a little then start another cos I don't fancy that book just yet. Then I get stuck in and forget which one's I have read. I just wish I was as organised as you guys...... but still think that a simple 'read tag' would be great as an option at the end of a book. Easy enough to rate so surely would be easy enough to tag too.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Feb 2013 13:26:41 GMT
Ms C. Kaleda says:
Many thanks Tom, I have now made the suggestion

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Feb 2013 13:32:59 GMT
TomC says:
"wanted to make my folders themes or writers or collections and it just doesn't work when you also have a read folder. "

You do realise that you can put a book into more than one collection, don't you? So you can still have it under themes and writers, but you can have it in a collection called "Read" as well.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Feb 2013 13:48:27 GMT
Ms C. Kaleda says:
Yes but doesn't this mean that I go to my authors collection, pick a book and then have to go to my read folder to check if it's there too? But it still remains on the main list too, that means its in three places! Have I got this all wrong. I would be even better if when a book went into a folder it wasn't also in the main list too .... just in a folder as read or not yet read ... surely this is much simpler!

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Feb 2013 14:34:34 GMT
Last edited by the author on 25 Feb 2013 14:37:31 GMT
TomC says:
Collections are really only tags, not folders. The book is not physically moved into whatever "collection" you put it into. That's why a book can be in several collections - for instance a book about Winston Churchill can be in a collection called "Biography", and also in one called "History", and you will find it in either one.

If you go into a collection and select and hold a book, a menu appears. The top item on the menu is "Add To Collection". If you select that option, a list of your collections appears, with a tick against each collection to which the book belongs - and there can be any number.

If you have your collection that holds your read books, you can make it the first in the list by calling it something like "AAARead", and it's easy to see whether the book is tagged as read.

This is only necessary if you think you may want to look again at a book you have read. If you don't, you can instead select "Move To Archived Items", which will remove it from the list. It will still be in your collection of books in the cloud, so you can get it back any time.

Posted on 25 Feb 2013 14:36:54 GMT
Nick Brett says:
have to say I use a spreadsheet to list "read" and "to be read" which covers both kindle and hard copy books. Sounds sad but I read a lot and it really helps..
Nick

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Feb 2013 14:38:38 GMT
TomC says:
Sounds very sensible actually - I wish I were that organised!

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Feb 2013 15:14:28 GMT
Nick Brett says:
Where it really helps me is in remembering authors I read a couple of years ago to see if they have written anything else, or when I have forgotten an author's name...
Nick

Posted on 27 Feb 2013 20:06:26 GMT
Wheelie says:
I use the Calibre application to organise my book collection. I tried several folder systems on my Kindle and didn't find one that really worked. Calibre is 'open' software so you can download it free (just type Calibre ebook into Google).

You can add a custom field to Calibre and call it 'read' and mark each book 'yes' or 'no'. I've also added a field called 'to read next' which is really helpful when you have hundreds of unread books and want to highlight the ones you want to read next. I've also added a field to log the date I finish the book. All slightly obsessive but it makes me happy :-)

Posted on 27 Feb 2013 21:59:53 GMT
vertwil says:
There is a way to tell if the book has been read, and how much has been read. if you look closely there are dots under the book name, small grey dots means not read, then as you read the book the dots slowly turn bigger and bolder (or black), when you have read all the book then all the dots will be big and bold
EG

The Dead Room

this would mean not read at all
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the thriller discussion forum (396 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  thriller discussion forum
Participants:  9
Total posts:  19
Initial post:  16 Feb 2013
Latest post:  27 Feb 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions