Customer Discussions > thriller discussion forum

Exciting kids books - My sons really enjoying the Adam Blade "Beast Quest" series.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 24 Jan 2013 10:12:59 GMT
Stonegirl says:
My sons really enjoying the Adam Blade "Beast Quest" series. The illustrations are really good too and he loves them. I'm reading them to him as he's only 6 1/2 and just beginning to read and i'm hoping it'll help him with his reading and spelling.

Anyone know any other good kids authors? I have Tolkien ready and J K Rowling too, so I've some goodies still in the pipeline, but if you can recommend somemore that'll be appreciated. (He's been through quite a few Enid Blyton - they're great, but possibly lean a bit more towards female reading) Cheers!...

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Feb 2013 21:36:43 GMT
Stonegirl says:
Any ideas how I can hop this across to the kids forum? Stupid me put it in the last forum I'd been using. (sorry about this you thriller folks!) If not, i'm happy if it's just deleted.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Feb 2013 22:04:38 GMT
Steven says:
do amazon have a kids forum?

you can't move it yourself and amazon don't moderate the forums (worse luck) so they won't do it for you. your best bet is to post again somewhere else and let this thread die a death.

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Feb 2013 22:09:47 GMT
Last edited by the author on 3 Feb 2013 00:22:22 GMT
Anita says:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/forum/childrens%20books/ref=rft_tft_fp?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx2TFCBPP37ECM4

Posted on 3 Feb 2013 09:21:07 GMT
Sou'Wester says:
I wouldn't get too excited. As far as spammers and self promoters go, the Children's Books forum is as bad - if not worse - than this one. Would urge great care if you're thinking of using this to find books for your kids - there is some appallingly bad stuff being peddled as Children's Literature.

Posted on 3 Feb 2013 15:22:57 GMT
Ian says:
My son loves Beast Quest too - he's older than your son so reads them himself. I've always had a policy of reading books which I think are too advanced for him and encouraging him to read for himself books that I reckon are within his ability.

The series that got him reading was Captain Underpants - they're hilarious (if you like toilet humour) and some parts are written as cartoons so very easy for a new reader. However, part of the joke is that the cartoons are written by the main characters so they do have some spelling mistakes in them.

The other kind of books that worked well with both my kids is books with characters they know - the novels of Star Wars and Indiana Jones movies and the Rev. W Aubrey's Thomas The Tank Engine (at 6 1/2 he may think he's too old for these - but he's wrong!).

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Feb 2013 21:45:41 GMT
Stonegirl says:
Thanks "I.N" (can't imagine a kid who doesn't have toilet humour - both mine do!). Thanks everyone. I'll let this line fade and start a new one there.

I'm really bad for going for a book by its cover. Has anyone seen the new Ray Bradbury "Halloween Tree" cover - its pretty amazing - Mummies, zombies and witches all inside a human skeleton. Love that sort of cover. The book seems to be more aimed at children, however, though my Mum, who is a big Bradbury fan really appreciated it at Christmas! (Looks a bit like the original cover for "Something wicked this way comes"). Probably one to let my son read too, when he gets a bit older. I'm a great believer in reading books from all times. (Just like listening to good music from through all era's, not just today's). Its an education.

Got a great book in pretty fine condition - 1929 only a third edition of "Le Morte d'Arthur". It's illustrated by W. Russell Flint so the drawings are beautiful. (I'm an artist). Looking forward to reading that, though its not quite so easy read I fear as our thrillers are today, having been first written in the 15th century!

You thriller guys. Have you read Andrew Greig "Romanno Bridge". That was pretty good, though its a while back I read it, and I couldn't put that down. Any Cornwall fans out there? I love the Uhtred series - Must get my hands on that latest one he did. Think I'll read them all again soon as he leaves so long between books and I enjoyed them so much I'm sure to have lost the thread. Obviously, I loved the Arthur trilogy. I'm a huge fan of books of that legend. If you know of any I don't know of, let me know! Bye - Hope you don't mind the drivel!

Going back to "I.N" - will watch out for those Captain Underpants books and never knew there was an Indiana Jones or Star Wars book - Great idea! Still waiting for them to put Stars Wars on the telly, so he can watch that. Of course, we might actually want to watch that! Good film on telly other night "The Extraordinary Adventures of Madam Adele Blanc Sec" - French subtitles - Absolutely crazy very enjoyable well put together rubbish - How fantastic is that!

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Feb 2013 21:57:52 GMT
My son has read lots of the beast quest stories, and believe me there are tons of them. He loves them and I don't think it matters too much if you miss a few or get the order wrong, for their age group the stories follow the same thread but with a different beast to confront. To go out on a limb, a friend of mine has written a similar story, its called Mason Ark and the Eagle Empire (The Ark Chronicles) by Zara Hicks. It has been described as being written in an old English style( you almost read it at a pace of a younger mind), it does have a couple of typos and spelling mistakes, but it is completely self edited and published. It is both in kindle and book form through amazon, and not a bad story at all.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Feb 2013 16:36:04 GMT
My favourites are Philip Caveney "Sebastian Darke" series and the "Nightmare Academy" books by Dean Lorey. Absolutely brilliant books and I'm an adult and I still read them.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  thriller discussion forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  24 Jan 2013
Latest post:  4 Feb 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions