Customer Discussions > thriller discussion forum

Authors - no self-promotion on this forum, please

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-18 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 21 May 2013 16:24:14 BDT
Last edited by the author on 21 May 2013 16:30:30 BDT
Anita says:
Dear authors, please, do NOT promote your books on thriller (ie this one) forum, or any other at that, except Meet Our Authors.

Trust me, you do yourselves no favours. If you are new here, please, look around a bit. You will see hundreds of self-promoting authors and *some* unhappy readers. I say, and I emphasize: *some* readers, because the vast majority of readers just don't come here any more. The best you can expect is some unpleasantness from those very few that remained, definitely not more sales.

It's up to you, dear authors, to make the Meet Our Authors forum more reader-friendly, if you take care of that a bit, instead of eternally whinging that readers don't go there.

Of course, the forum is not my property, and it is not me that makes the rules. So would you please kindly read the rules made by Amazon and put very clearly in the Important Announcement from Amazon right at the top of this forum:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/forum/thriller/ref=cm_cd_tfp_ef_tft_tp?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx293U5YYTNOEH&cdThread=TxF168HGZPGEYC

Edit: may need an occasional bump

Posted on 21 May 2013 16:29:57 BDT
Anita says:
A personal note for Tom C:

Once you started the good job of compiling a blacklist, I suggest you do it in one place, to keep the not-to-be-read authors all together. You may do it here, or start a separate thread. It's always possible to add new names by editing (for the same keeping in one place purpose and in order to keep all of them at the top of the thread). Thank you

Posted on 21 May 2013 16:41:15 BDT
Anita says:
Now, that was quick! Ten minutes or so, and one (presumably) offended spammer already here to no-vote :)

In reply to an earlier post on 21 May 2013 17:41:37 BDT
Steven says:
look on the bright side, at least they didn't spam their 'book'.
;)

Posted on 21 May 2013 18:59:59 BDT
Little frog says:
Ah, Anita, you raise your head again. Do you have nothing better to do than police the Amazon forum sites?? If Amazon aren't bothered, can I please ask, why are you??

I now come and go through these "threads" but all I meet is "it's against the rules". You seem to think that readers cannot see for themselves what is happening - and, unlike your closed minds, some of us do look at these books and, yes, as you say, most are not good, but for myself over the last 18 months I have "discovered" a couple of new authors who I think are worth watching.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 May 2013 21:15:13 BDT
Anita says:
Good for you, Little frog. Maybe you've started to self-publish yourself, as the Little frog I half remember from before hasn't been so keen on spammers. And as for why - not really any of your business, but I just think it is the right thing to do. It's only one of the reasons, actually, and if you don't like it, can't be helped I'm afraid

In reply to an earlier post on 22 May 2013 17:18:48 BDT
Little frog says:
Yes Anita, you are right - I dislike spammers as much as anybody and have, as you say, been vociferous on the subject in the past, but have now moved on from this futile waste of time "policing" the Amazon forums - there are better things to do like reading a good book or watching a good film!

In reply to an earlier post on 22 May 2013 19:17:38 BDT
Anita says:
Little frog - I know that you know to what lenghts of abuse and personal threats some spammers can go. Not sure if you know/remember what I have in mind, but you were present and posting there, it was me who saw that belatedly. And in my opinion it is just wrong. It's always easier to read a book or watch a film and do nothing. And let the scam rule.

If you went back to this very forum in time to 2009 or 2010, you'd find it very different. Almost all the people who had anything interesting to say are no longer here. Now it's just spam and spam and more spam. There's the Meet Our Authors, if you want new authors to find. Why other forums can't be left for genuine recommendations?

I do check out look insides sometimes. Well, I rather did, as I do that less and less. The "policing", as you and others say, is much less time consuming than wading through all the rubbish to find one post in 100 that is not spam.

I'm not telling you what to do, you watch your films and read your books, if that is what you want. Hardly any point for you telling me what to do either

Posted on 25 May 2013 14:56:42 BDT
Anita says:
A new batch of self-pluggers here. Please, don't

In reply to an earlier post on 28 May 2013 19:10:30 BDT
I Readalot says:
We live in hope don't we Anita? Noticed you had started one here and decided it needed a bump!

In reply to an earlier post on 28 May 2013 19:29:33 BDT
Anita says:
:)

And you got no-voted right away.

No-voting doesn't mean un-bumping though :)

In reply to an earlier post on 28 May 2013 21:32:55 BDT
I Readalot says:
And there is nearly always 2 of them. I did wonder if the same thing would happen if I sneaked across here. Oh well, as long as it keeps someone amused.

Posted on 12 Jun 2013 16:06:14 BDT
Anita says:
Feels like a bump

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Jun 2013 11:12:03 BDT
TomC says:
Bump.

Posted on 22 Jun 2013 14:10:05 BDT
Anita says:
Bump for a new hatch of spammers

Posted on 30 Jul 2013 11:38:50 BDT
TomC says:
Bump.

Posted on 12 Aug 2013 14:05:38 BDT
TomC says:
Bump

Posted on 14 Aug 2013 18:40:27 BDT
Taloolabell says:
What is this 'bump' of which you speak?.. :-)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  thriller discussion forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  18
Initial post:  21 May 2013
Latest post:  14 Aug 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions