Customer Discussions > thriller discussion forum

who would play Harry Bosch in a film?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 163 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 22 May 2010 20:13:30 BDT
Last edited by the author on 22 May 2010 20:14:00 BDT
slb says:
Given all the interest in Jack Reacher what would the suggestions be for someone to play Harry Bosch. I have always see him as one of the guys from the old Hill Street Blues - the one with the dark moustache and woolly hat (but without the hat!!)

Posted on 23 May 2010 21:56:12 BDT
Banjanx says:
Much more important than the Jack Reacher thread....
Russell Crowe could just do it....
...or me....

PS Do you mean Belker? Bosch is surely more attractive...

Posted on 23 May 2010 21:59:09 BDT
noggy1810 says:
Always have him him down as Clint Eastwood kind of guy!

In reply to an earlier post on 25 May 2010 15:16:51 BDT
Huck Flynn says:
Harry Bosch wouldn't wear a moustache or a wooly hat !
Jeff Bridges (if he lost a few pounds)
Denzil Washington

Posted on 25 May 2010 17:32:34 BDT
Bookworm79 says:
It's funny how differently we all 'see' him! I've always thought that Terry McCaleb was more of a Clint Eastwood type, but that's probably because Eastwood played him when 'Blood Work' was made into a film.
Bosch, I've always seen as more of a Ken Stott type. But obviously he's played Rebus, so that won't work!

Posted on 25 May 2010 23:39:13 BDT
Durazzo says:
Strangely enough I always saw him as a Ken Stott type as well - not sure about the accent though.

Posted on 26 May 2010 12:24:33 BDT
Huck Flynn says:
Dennis Quaid

Posted on 26 May 2010 16:18:52 BDT
OEJ says:
Bosch (iirc) is just under six feet tall, lean and trim. Not muscular, but a hard nut all the same. Had it been possible, I think Steve McQueen would have been a good choice. Even if he was alive though, he'd be about 30 years too old (as Eastwood was when he played the part of McCaleb!)

A modern-day, right-now Harry Bosch. Hmm. Dennis Quaid's not a bad suggestion actually. OK, I'll go for Harvey Keitel. He's about 70, but remember Bosch must be in his sixties by now.

Posted on 26 May 2010 16:34:41 BDT
Shining Star says:
Bosch does have a mustache, even though I can never picture him with one. If you go onto Michael Connelly's website there are little video snippets for adverts of his books (If I'm correct there's one for Echo Park) and there is an actor cast as Bosch, I'm not sure who he is though.

Posted on 26 May 2010 17:16:08 BDT
Last edited by the author on 26 May 2010 17:20:02 BDT
Huck Flynn says:
Gene Hackman
Mel Gibson
Hugh Jackman
Christian Bale
Val Kilmer
Kevin Spacey
Kyle McLachlan
Sean Penn
Kevin Bacon

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Jun 2010 10:56:48 BDT
Robert de Niro without a doubt!

Posted on 2 Jun 2010 16:27:58 BDT
C. Valentine says:
Don't know who to pick to play Bosch, but I sure wish they'd make more of the books into movies - with the right casting and quality direction (possibly Eastwood) it would make a superb franchise.

Posted on 2 Jun 2010 19:03:32 BDT
velobella says:
Like the Gene Hackman idea. Don't know about Dennis Quaid as I've never wanted to watch any of the films he's been in which makes me think he wouldn't be right for a Bosch film, which I would want to watch. De Niro could pull it off because he's such a brilliant actor.

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Jun 2010 10:27:04 BDT
Huck Flynn says:
i'm thinking of the younger Hackman of "Night Moves"
think quaid has the humanity factor
perhaps a young gary cooper ?

Posted on 3 Jun 2010 11:29:47 BDT
C. Valentine says:
Mark Wahlberg? Too young?
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000242/

Posted on 5 Jun 2010 06:06:04 BDT
John Malkovich - now he would make a good Bosch,

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Jun 2010 23:37:40 BDT
Angular says:
But Harry does have a 'tache. It's mentioned in at least one of the books - can't remember which. I think he's also dark but maybe I've just imagined that. I haven't a clear idea of how HB would look though I agree with other posters in that Ken Stott comes pretty close (though KS is Rebus personified despite the inadequacies of the TV series). He also has a half brother, of course, so maybe a couple of Bridges brothers would work.

Posted on 8 Jun 2010 08:42:51 BDT
topcat says:
Harvey Keitel, Gene Hackman or De Niro in my mind, although despite the odd description in the books the Ken Stott image is probably closest to what I have in my mind.

As for the tache it was probably a phase and is gone now, and Bosch is nearer 70 bearing in mind he was a "tunnel rat" in "Nam"

Posted on 8 Jun 2010 14:23:37 BDT
Book a day says:
I've been 4 years thinking of the correct actor for this and have decided that Gerald Butler would be a good choice.
Any thoughts????

Posted on 8 Jun 2010 15:40:31 BDT
C. Valentine says:
Gerald Butler - an excellent suggestion.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0124930/

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Jun 2010 08:18:11 BDT
Book a day says:
The choosing of actors would be a good job to have!

Until I saw Gerald Butler in 'law abiding citizen' I had Liam Neilson pencilled in as Bosch.

Regarding Ken Stott above, I had him reserved as DCI Alan Banks and a lot better suited than Stephen Tompkinson who has been chosen.
I don't know if anybody here reads Robert Crais, but who would play Elvis Cole and Joe Pike?
A difficult one!!!

Posted on 9 Jun 2010 19:10:59 BDT
Bookworm79 says:
I read an interview with Robert Crais a while back where he said that although he has allowed his stand-alone novels to be optioned for film, he would never do it to any of the Elvis Cole / Joe Pike books because he thinks that it's better that each reader has their own image of them in their head.
I think I agree with him -you only have to look at our varying images of Bosch! -and there's nothing more annoying than a book you really like getting made into a film and them getting the characters 'wrong'.
James Lee Burke's Dave Robicheaux books have so far produced two films with mixed results -I quite enjoyed 'Heaven's Prisoners' (with Alec Baldwin as Robicheaux) but although I haven't seen 'In the Electric Mist' yet, Tommy Lee Jones really doesn't fit Robicheaux in my mind.

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Jun 2010 18:02:55 BDT
I'm pretty sure I read also that Michael Connelly has not sold film rights to his Harry Bosch books for the same reason as Robert Crais gives.

To do his books justice in film, the first would need to be set in the LA of twenty years ago and sequels would progress from there. I doubt any film studio would want to do that.

To be honest, I had no clear picture of Harry when I read the books. I had a clearer picture of Patrick Kensey when I read Dennis Lehane's books and Casey Affleck it was not. Just as Kurt Wallender was not Kenneth Branagh.

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Jun 2010 15:38:00 BDT
C.Elder says:
Absolutely right....de Niro by a mile.....

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Jun 2010 17:22:34 BDT
Book a day says:
I see the point about one actor being right for one reader and totally alien for another, and yes, I think it could spoil future books.

Looking at the different Bond's there are some that work and others that never will.
I would put it as 1) Connery 2) Craig 3) Brosnan, but get it wrong and there is an awful lot of money riding on the outcome.

Perhaps wait until the technology comes where you can choose who plays what characters and the computer inserts them into the film.
I could even play Bosch myself. Right age but perhaps too tall and broad (better looking though haha)
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the thriller discussion forum (396 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  thriller discussion forum
Participants:  91
Total posts:  163
Initial post:  22 May 2010
Latest post:  9 May 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions