Customer Discussions > thriller discussion forum

Suggestions for a new thriller reader please

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 151-175 of 543 posts in this discussion
Posted on 19 Sep 2012 16:15:27 BDT
Last edited by the author on 19 Sep 2012 16:16:10 BDT
A book I'm currently reading by British thriller author John Matthews is about the need for gun conrol in the U.S. The Second Amendment #2 (Crime, legal thriller (action, political)). The follwup to his excellent The Second Amendment #1 (Crime, legal thriller (action, political)). But you need to read them in order with #1 first to truly appreciate.

Posted on 19 Sep 2012 23:58:13 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 20 Sep 2012 00:01:53 BDT]

Posted on 20 Sep 2012 09:35:47 BDT
ME JULIE says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Sep 2012 19:49:49 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 4 Oct 2012 22:06:48 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Sep 2012 01:54:36 BDT
donegalgirl says:
I really detest this sort of thing. If I want to donate to charity I can do this perfectly well without massaging your husband's ego by buying his book. Since I guess Amazon take a cut out of of book sales it would be more sensible from a charity's perspective for people to donate directly. I certainly wouldn't feel better about buying a book I disliked because some charitable element was involved. I buy a book because I want to read it, charitable giving is an entirely separate activity.

As to self-promotion, it isn't just "frowned upon" but specifically banned by Amazon outside of the Meet Our Authors forum (you'll find the link at the bottom of the page under the heading 'Most Active Community forums").

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Sep 2012 03:39:21 BDT
Sou'Wester says:
The other issue here is it's asking people to take this promise of donations on trust. As we've seen only too clearly in recent times, the publishing world isn't renowned for its integrity and we know there are individuals who will stoop to any level of deceit to sell their books. I'm not suggesting this particular offer isn't a perfectly sincere and genuine one, but I can't know that for sure, and there may well be less scrupulous authors who would use this as a ruse.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Sep 2012 06:18:15 BDT
Anita says:
Considering the fact that this particular author was self-promoting and self-reviewing until recently under an alias, and his wife was also pushing his book without revealing family ties, both until being disclosed, I'd rather donate to charity by other ways, there are plenty of them

Posted on 21 Sep 2012 10:10:20 BDT
Genbird says:
The Redemtion series from Tom Paver- four have been released so far with two more soon to come. The Sanctuary Stone (Redemption 4) is the fourth in the series and is also FREE today!!

The series revolves around a fictional Liverpool shipping line and the unlikely pairing of a New York PR girl and an ex-priest from Liverpool who travel the world to put right the injustices of the past.

The Sanctuary Stone tells of the slave trade between Liverpool and Jamaica and cleverly weaves historical fact with colloquial wit and is tied together by well built characters running at a fast pace.

Posted on 21 Sep 2012 12:00:27 BDT
Last edited by the author on 21 Sep 2012 12:04:19 BDT
Archie says:
My god what a cynical lot you are. Yes i have been guilty of self promotion before but I no longer participate. I write for pleasure nothing else it is a hobby nothing more and I was asked by my cousin to come up with an idea for raising money. Which I have. I'm sorry some of you feel that way and I was only trying to help a worthwhile cause. :(

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Sep 2012 12:27:56 BDT
Anita says:
Trust is easily lost, not so easily regained... Good luck with your worthwhile cause

Posted on 21 Sep 2012 17:42:16 BDT
Archie says:
thank you

Posted on 22 Sep 2012 00:30:31 BDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Sep 2012 08:06:07 BDT
Garscadden says:
James - considering the amount of fake reviews John Matthews has had, how can we know you aren't' just another of his sock puppet accounts? Especially as you seem to post th esame thing about his book to multiple threads.

Posted on 22 Sep 2012 12:21:54 BDT
Sophie says:
Great review James. I'll be sure to give the book a whirl. You should try The Morpheous Network, another smashing new one.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Sep 2012 16:19:25 BDT
Garscadden says:
That is actually fantastically amusing Sophie - well done.

(I'm not even being sarcastic this time - I really mean it)

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Sep 2012 17:08:25 BDT
Garscadden:

I can assure you I am not anybody's sock puppet. Those are my honest views about his books. Take them or leave them. As to his having fake reviews, I know nothing of that and first I've heard.

If you doubt me, check my author profile. I'm a retired Canadian journalist and former professional book reviewer for newspapers.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Sep 2012 17:09:26 BDT
Anita says:
I'm compelled to agree :)

It's back to square one, actually. Say, we allow self-promotion here (what if we don't? They do it anyway), but the problem remains: there are pages and pages of self-promotion, how on earth you can expect to be noticed among the hundreds of new authors? No one would try all of them to be sure. You *must* think of something more original to stick out...

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Sep 2012 14:05:04 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 25 Sep 2012 21:07:55 BDT]

Posted on 23 Sep 2012 18:44:09 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 25 Sep 2012 21:15:32 BDT]

Posted on 23 Sep 2012 18:47:01 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 25 Sep 2012 21:15:18 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Sep 2012 12:27:22 BDT
lkd1103 says:
Obviously you are not allowed to review a book incase you are self promoting - whatever next, it beggars belief that you are accused of being the author just because you review!!! some people really do need to check their facts and stop accusing innocents!!

Posted on 26 Sep 2012 12:02:20 BDT
thebes says:
A few of my favourite thriller writers:

Steve Berry
Paul Sussman
Sholes & Moore
James Becker
Mary Higgins Clark

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Sep 2012 19:54:42 BDT
Little frog says:
here you go again - mother mary being patronising again. But - your halo has slipped recently, hasn't it???

Posted on 2 Oct 2012 09:07:57 BDT
sally rivers says:
I've got two to consider. On Kindle I've just read Kiss and Tell by TJ Cooke. Review posted. Set in and around London. A really original and well written crime fiction read.
Out of the mould as delves a lot more into the background and character of its main protagonist Jill Shadow... but pays off in the end. Thoroughly enjoyable so hope that helps.
Also only today finished Dirty Game by Jessie Keane. A very different read from above. Entertaining in its own way but I think you;d have to be a fan of Martina Cole to enjoy it... know what I mean mate? Still as east end gangster stories go not bad at all...

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Oct 2012 10:35:45 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 3 Oct 2012 16:04:40 BDT]
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the thriller discussion forum (396 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  thriller discussion forum
Participants:  203
Total posts:  543
Initial post:  17 Apr 2012
Latest post:  13 Jul 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 28 customers

Search Customer Discussions