Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > thriller discussion forum

The Kindle.....worth it or not?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 101-125 of 136 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on 5 Jul 2012 08:05:44 BDT
Oracle says:
Except for battery life, the softer look of the screen, weight, price etc...

Posted on 5 Jul 2012 10:24:16 BDT
madlinny says:
I got my kindle for christmas 2010, and its absolutely brilliant for me. Having lost the feeling in my hands (due to MS) I dont feel the pages when reading books so the kindle is great for me. I have downloaded so many freebies including classics which I love and have them organised in categories. I love books but having this kindle is a godsend. Although I must admit, being an avid fan of his, i still have to own Stephen Kings books in hardback for my collection. Would definately recomment buying the kindle tho, even though I'll probably never get to read the hundreds that i've downloaded!

Posted on 5 Jul 2012 10:31:01 BDT
pixie says:
Love it....worth every penny!

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Jul 2012 10:33:47 BDT
Scarlet Lady says:
Me too Pixie!

Posted on 6 Jul 2012 08:36:15 BDT
I was given a kindle for Christmas, I love mine. In a world where most of us could do with some more space freed up, I was happy to give a lot of my old books of the classics, to a charity shop, because I know if I wanted to read them again, which I probably don't I can get them on kindle probably for free. I use my kindle to store recipes on PDF file, so much easier in the kitchen, just don't get it wet. I have also used mine to read emails and browse the web, you can't get everything, but when my laptop broke it was better than nothing until the laptop was repaired.
Kindles are worth buying, there will always be a place for books, especially if they are coffee table style, picture books, but who know, they will probably be replaced by ipad style reading devices, showing pictures. Apart from all this, there are the free books, there are so many old classics, (as I said, they were taking up space in my house) which are free, not sure about some of the new free ones though. Save your shelves for other things, the Kindle is here to stay.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Jul 2012 09:08:24 BDT
hiya

best thing I ever bought, have my library with me always. never run out of things to read or get caught out with end of book before i get home, do not have to then carry second book with me.

BUY IT.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Jul 2012 10:09:34 BDT
Scarlet Lady says:
Miss T - that's one of the things I love the most - Hated finishing a book before I got home

Posted on 6 Jul 2012 11:51:35 BDT
http://www.amazon.com/MaryAnn-Myers/e/B004QNN6U8/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_1

Posted on 6 Jul 2012 12:04:51 BDT
The Blue Dolphin by Sean T FlanaganThe Blue Dolphin

Posted on 6 Jul 2012 13:06:13 BDT
J Grant says:
I have had my Kindle for just over a year. I find it useful to be able to choose the size of the print... great if your eyes are not as good as they used to be. I also bought the kindle cover which is good but I now wish I had got the one with the light so I could read in bed without disturbing my husband.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Jul 2012 11:18:45 BDT
Dear Sarah
Try www.ifundas.com. My daughter handmakes covers in interesting designs and can make for any size of kindle or ipad.
Regards
Anne J

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Jul 2012 15:46:07 BDT
Last edited by the author on 9 Jul 2012 15:47:36 BDT
jonstillz says:
To SirTK, I also had a problem getting connected, after months of being able to via the 3G, and I wasn't able to figure out how to connect my BT Home Hub. So I contacted the Kindle helpline and they called me back. They talked me through the procedure. And, hey presto, I got connected. So why don't you contact them, they're very friendly.

Posted on 9 Jul 2012 16:03:18 BDT
Ladyluck says:
Have had my Kindle for 18 months and as a self-confessed Gadgetaholic, honestly think this is the best gadget I have ever bought and apart from my iphone, the only one I use every day and could not be without. I dont actually think I would ever give up reading normal books, nor ever wanted too, but since having my Kindle I have read a couple of normal books and my arm has ached from holding them and that initial lopsidedness of a new book is really uncomfortable, compared to an eReader. Most novelty gadgets I buy and then after a week or so, get fed up and dont use it again. If my Kindle broke and could not be repaired i would have to go out and buy another one or I'd be lost. The iphone is definitely not great for reading on but the Kindle is.

As for the free books, I have discovered loads of great new authors by reading their free books or greatly reduced ones and then gone on to buy more of their series if I've enjoyed them, so I think they are brilliant.

If you havent got one yet, definitely dont delay, they are great and well worth every penny. I'd never be without one again.

Posted on 10 Jul 2012 23:06:46 BDT
T. Banting says:
If people want to read on holiday, surely that is their business! I love my Kindle, since when I go abroad it is for rest and recuperation. I take a book for each day of my holidays, and still sight-see when I want to. Like another lady on this forum I have MS. I still manage to teach in a high school part time and my holidays are all about chilling. Each to their own. If others want to sight-see each day, then my absence will mean shorter queues :)

Posted on 11 Jul 2012 10:59:44 BDT
Campievanner says:
I bought my Kindle Touch because I have an iPad and had started reading books on it but my OH moaned when we were on a campsite if I was reading that we couldnt play games on the iPad at the same time and he had nothing to do.
So I bought a Kindle which is great as I take it to work (wouldnt with my iPad) and reading on the bus is fine (can't read a book thought without feeling sick)
I read the iPad in the evening when it is too dark to read the KT and they know where I am up to.
Also nobody knows what your reading. If you read something seriously uncool etc no one will know as there isnt even a header.
I am getting rid of all my chick lit type books.
People say they dont want to read Freebies as its not their thing. Thats fine but there are soome really good free books out there and you lose nothing.

Posted on 11 Jul 2012 11:36:32 BDT
Scarlet Lady says:
I am slightly worried in a needy way that my Kindle won't work when I go on Holiday and It is mega loaded with books - Should I be a sad case loser and take Papercopies with me?

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Jul 2012 12:44:55 BDT
No-one is more terrified than me at the thought of being on holiday and not having a book ... but trust in your Kindle .. it will work fine, I've downloaded books on beaches and up in the Sierra Nevada. If you have already downloaded your holiday reading .. then even better ........ it is just a simple electronic book so of course it will work, but for peace of mind, don't forget your charger. If you don't have the 3G version and are worried about a connection to download more books, so many hotels have Wi Fi now .... or an internet cafe or bar. Honestly, leave the heavy books behind and enjoy:-)

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Jul 2012 14:28:35 BDT
Scarlet Lady says:
Thanks Beverley - have just received the Car Charger

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Jul 2012 15:05:01 BDT
Auntynet says:
I had mine bought for me for Christmas and its possibly the best present I've ever been given. The kindle has so many advantages on hard copy books - I think the best thing about it is that there are so many freebies available and the second best follows on from that in that so many books that I wouldn't normally have bought cos I wouldn't have thought they'd be my idea of a good read. Another major plus is the amount of books you can store on it, how could you take hundreds of books with you whenever you go anywhere? Go ahead and get one, you won't be disappointed. And no, I haven't given up on hard copies, they just stay at home whereas my kindle goes everywhere with me.

Posted on 11 Jul 2012 20:51:36 BDT
I have downloaded the kindle app rather than bought the kindle. The same app goes onto my phone(android) my iPad, my daughters iPod touch and husbands iPhone. It lets you have books on your cloud or your device. If I have been reading on my iPad then have my phone it tells me I was on page xx on my iPad! I didn't buy standalone kindle as I didn't want anything else to carry around, I love the kindle app on my existing technology!

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Jul 2012 00:00:35 BDT
Yes, yes, yes - fabulous thing, the Kindle! I'm a life-long book-lover but I now prefer my Kindle to traditional books - it's so much lighter than trying to hold up a modern novel, some of which weigh nearly a kilogram!!!! Treat yourself, you won't be sorry x

Posted on 13 Jul 2012 13:34:52 BDT
Mrs K Grimes says:
Love Love Love my Kindle, I really dont know how I managed all these years without one, but now on Holiday its a breeze for ALL the books that I have on it. Have also downloaded my favourite music, just put my earphones in and settle down to a relaxing read. Go for it, you wont regret it Honestly.

Posted on 13 Jul 2012 14:42:39 BDT
Booknut says:
Yes, Kindle is one of the best inventions ever. Even for a technophobe it is easy to use. Loads of free and cheap books out there. I love it for the sampling, eg haven't wasted my money on 50 shades of rubbish, and for going back to beloved books from long ago that I should have kept and never did. You can also ask Amazon to try and get publishers to do a Kindle format for books not already available. I have done this for some of my childhood favourites that are difficult and expensive to get now. Also brilliant for travelling, and for those with failing eyesight as you can change the size of the text - this will be increasingly important as babyboomers age. I have the Kindle app on my smartphone just in case I am caught somewhere with nothing to read (horrors!!). Doesn't replace the traditional book but is a useful alternative.

Posted on 13 Jul 2012 18:48:50 BDT
VenusLady says:
I would be so lost without my kindle. Always handy when sat in waiting rooms. Nobody can see what your reading either ;)
Can takes many books on holiday which leaves more space for clothes :)
Best invention for book worms!

Posted on 17 Jul 2012 06:57:24 BDT
Mary H says:
I love my Kindle but unfortunately while on holiday the screen froze. I still had 3 days before the end of my holiday and didn't have a book to read. We were in a part of Spain that did not sell books written in English and had it not been for a library in the hotel (which had a very limited selection of books) I would have been stuck. Reading a good story on holiday is a must for me. In future I will also be taking a book as well as my Kindle if we are going away from the popular tourist destinations.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the thriller discussion forum (398 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  thriller discussion forum
Participants:  98
Total posts:  136
Initial post:  2 Feb 2011
Latest post:  25 Jul 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 12 customers

Search Customer Discussions