Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis Listen with Prime Learn more Shop Men's Shop Women's
Customer Discussions > thriller discussion forum

English Detective Novels

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 141 posts in this discussion
Posted on 2 Mar 2012 18:23:30 GMT
BattyB says:
An author found recently is Kate Ellis - v. good

Posted on 3 Mar 2012 08:33:01 GMT
Last edited by the author on 27 Mar 2012 16:48:15 BDT
Silver Dagger Award winner Sarah Dunant (of BBC2 tv Late Show fame) wrote good well written crime thrillers.
I can recommend her Hannah Wolfe series which started with "Snow Storms in a Hot Climate".

Unfortunately I can only see her later historical fiction in Kindle Editions although I have seen her thrillers in other eBook formats.

Her crime thrillers were
Exterminating Angels (with Peter Busby as Peter Dunant), 1983
Intensive Care (with Peter Busby as Peter Dunant), 1986
Snow Storms in a Hot Climate, 1988
Birth Marks, 1991
Fatlands, 1993
Under My Skin, 1995
The Age of Anxiety, 1996
Transgressions, 1999

Posted on 3 Mar 2012 08:59:41 GMT
Steve Robinson's In the Blood (A genealogical thriller) is really good holiday reading, especially if you like to combile crime thrillers with genealogy. And it's under £2.00 .... bargain

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Mar 2012 12:46:17 GMT
Tigger's Mum says:
I really liked that book but he wasn't exactly an "English'" detective though. The action took place in England but the character was American wasn't he?

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Mar 2012 15:38:16 GMT
Cheshire Cat says:
Try Andrew Taylor The Lydmouth novels there are 7 of them. Marvellous reading.

Posted on 3 Mar 2012 22:27:09 GMT
Don't forget Agatha Christie.

She really was a brilliant writer.

Dorothy Sayers is good too.

Also try Reginal Hill, Colin Dexter

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Mar 2012 13:23:38 GMT
handbaglover says:
Quintine jardine is a scot, his books are good. Try mo hayder, her books are good featuring the dark world of jack caffrey. Neil white, he is a barrister with the cps in Preston, his books are good. Simon Kernick, elly Griffiths books are good, but different. I see you like the same as me - if you are on Facebook have a look at Peter James page, he always posts some interesting stuff on there. Simon Kernick too, and Neil white - they tell you about their latest books etc. worth a look.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Mar 2012 13:26:05 GMT
handbaglover says:
I love his books - just reading the one about the barrister at the moment.

In reply to an earlier post on 4 Mar 2012 13:31:19 GMT
handbaglover says:
Hi I'm interested in reading your books too, but would like them on kindle. Will they be available in the near future?

Carole

Posted on 4 Mar 2012 14:28:01 GMT
Red says:
Lowenna, Las Vegas is between Shipley and Bradford on the A1, its a small pool arcade next to the chippy. Not somewhere you would set a thriller but hey.
If you like UK set thrillers try any of Conrad Jones, 8 thrillers all been in the top ten kindle lists and all set here, try The Child Taker (Soft Target Series) or the first three are now available as one download The Soft Target Trilogy (Soft Target Series). Another great UK series is by Val McDermid A Place of Execution
Your reply to Red's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Mar 2012 06:29:44 GMT
[Deleted by Amazon on 22 Mar 2012 06:37:53 GMT]

Posted on 22 Mar 2012 06:48:27 GMT
[Deleted by Amazon on 7 Apr 2012 18:01:56 BDT]

Posted on 29 Mar 2012 12:25:48 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 5 Apr 2012 23:17:56 BDT]

Posted on 2 Apr 2012 12:04:50 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 5 Apr 2012 23:40:25 BDT]

Posted on 7 Apr 2012 11:57:46 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 7 Apr 2012 17:58:32 BDT]

Posted on 7 Apr 2012 16:42:15 BDT
V Marzello says:
I like the Maureen Carter "Bev Morriss" series, which is set in Birmingham - quite dark and gritty...

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Apr 2012 13:53:07 BDT
Val says:
None of this author's work is on Kindle

Posted on 8 Apr 2012 18:20:02 BDT
Laura S says:
Try Hope Road (1st John Ray mystery) by J Barlow.
one of the classiest crime novel I've read set in the UK.

Posted on 28 Apr 2012 09:06:56 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 30 Apr 2012 00:41:39 BDT]

Posted on 7 May 2012 12:43:05 BDT
Louizalass says:
The Charlie Priest series by Stuart Pawson. EG:

Over the Edge (Detective Inspector Charlie Priest Mystery)

I 'discovered' Stuart Pawson at the beginning of the year and have read all his books except two - which I'm saving for a 'drought'!! A marvellous find.

As well as Elizabeth George's Inspector Lynley series, I also enjoy the Roy Grace series by Peter James and Peter Lovesey's Peter Diamond mysteries.

Dead Tomorrow
The Last Detective/Diamond Solitaire

I enjoy Pawson, James and Lovesey's stories because their main detective characters are 'human' with a lovely grain of humour running through - and the stories are very, very readable!

In reply to an earlier post on 7 May 2012 17:18:02 BDT
Last edited by the author on 7 May 2012 17:19:50 BDT
Hi, Try Steven Dunne. He lives in Derby and has recently had his third novel published. It's called Deity and I'm really enjoying it, about three quarters through. Gripping! His first and second books are available on Amazon also.

Posted on 8 May 2012 14:49:14 BDT
Deep Lying Centre Forward by Mark Tillmann - I read it on amobi file - long and really pretty good

Posted on 10 May 2012 09:08:24 BDT
Stephanie says:
I'm recently started reading the Susan Hill Simon Serailler novels. There are about 6 of them at the moment. I've been in floods of tears after the two i've read. Good stoies that hit home at the end, Rather in the style of P D James, not full of non stop action, but everything builds up throughout the books to a great ending. I'd happily recommend them.

For something with a bit more grit to it, then I would recommend Will Carver. He has the first two novels in his series about DI January David out. Girl 4, and The Two. These are a lot more graphic in the showing of the actual crimes, but still darn good reads.

Steph

Posted on 13 May 2012 14:00:28 BDT
Somerset says:
There's a lot going on in this book. A nasty, power hungry, money grabbing villain and other much more likeable characters. There were many exciting episodes and some totally unexpected events. There are also touches of humour. I could picture the scene in The Natural History museum and the chaos the chase caused! It is so well written and the plot is very gripping.
In the book, we meet two siblings that quickly get involved in more than they bargained for. The author keeps the storyline interesting with some very descriptive writing but without being repetitive which keeps you wanting to read on.
I would certainly recommend this book to anyone who likes a bit of excitement, but without all the gory details. I was really sorry to finish the book as I'd become very attached to the characters and I hope the sequel will appear soon.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 May 2012 15:14:25 BDT
Anita says:
I'm really tempted to read "this book" :) Will the sequel be "This book 2" or "Another book"?

"This book" reminds me of yet another book, I don't remember much of it, just a kid posting a letter with an address on the envelope: to my grandad, the village... :)
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the thriller discussion forum (398 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  thriller discussion forum
Participants:  87
Total posts:  141
Initial post:  23 Feb 2012
Latest post:  24 Aug 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 15 customers

Search Customer Discussions