Customer Discussions > thriller discussion forum

Which theme keeps drawing you back?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-12 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 11 Dec 2012 10:48:04 GMT
Sam says:
I love a realistic thriller.
I read them because I can see myself as the hero/victim. It lights my fire. Problem is, there's only so many out there....

Think:
Man on Fire, The Hard Way (or any Jack Reacher), Meaning Of Theft, Remote Control or Darkly Dreaming Dexter

More suggestions please!

In reply to an earlier post on 11 Dec 2012 12:48:06 GMT
Steven says:
Simon Kernick's thrillers (particularly relentless) put ordenary people in situations that are pretty out of the ordenary and he is really good at capturing how they react in a realistic way. this the kind of thing your after?

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Dec 2012 01:59:23 GMT
Sam says:
Thanks S.Morris - that's exactly what I'm after. Read the 'look inside' part of 'Relentless' on Amazon and have ordered it - hopefully it arrives in time for my holiday reading!
I think I've found a new author to explore - what a good feeling. Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Dec 2012 07:23:46 GMT
Steven says:
no problem-- hope you enjoy it.
have you tried Stephen Leather's thrillers? pretty realistic and action packed. the Dan 'Spider Shepherd series is particularly good-- all about an former SAS soldier turned undercover cop.
the first one is 'Hard Landing' and, if you have a Kindle it is very cheap.

another great psychological thriller I read this year was 'The Wicked Girls' by Alex Marwood. honourable mention goes to 'Into The Darkest Corner' by Elizabeth Haynes.
:0)

Posted on 13 Dec 2012 10:46:31 GMT
Sam says:
Loved 'Into the Darkest Corner' - that was intense. I've heard 'The Wicked Girls' was good - might have to look at that one as well :)

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Dec 2012 16:30:48 GMT
Scarlet Lady says:
Me too Sam - Have read some other Elizabeth Haynes books that were very good.
I tend to steer towards the Sex,Violence Fantasy Erotica area these days.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Dec 2012 16:38:15 GMT
Steven says:
any recommendations?

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Dec 2012 16:39:20 GMT
Scarlet Lady says:
bear with - will revert soonest

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Dec 2012 16:55:10 GMT
Scarlet Lady says:
Authors - Read most so if you see any you fancy let me know and I will tell you what my opinion was.
Gabriella Bisset
Gena Showater
Kate Dawes
Evangelina Anderson
Donna Grant
Helen Black
Tania Carver
Karen Woods (Smutty but fun)

Posted on 2 Jan 2013 09:59:52 GMT
The themes that attract me most are stalkers and missing persons, not necessarily together. A good series dealing with a missing persons agency is the Florida Omni Search series by Traci Hohenstein starting with Asylum Harbor. For stalker type suspense with a bit of romance thrown in I would recommend Wendy Corsi Staub and Carlene Thompson. Most are stand alone thrillers and are full of twists and suspects.

Posted on 5 Jan 2013 19:56:59 GMT
gilbert says:
One theme is so old that the earliest, and best, version, I've read is from the 14th century: woman with boring old husband finds somebody younger and more interesting. In the moralistic 19th and 20th centuries, the classic stories on this theme, such as Tolstoy's Anna Karenina or Rattigan's The Deep Blue Sea, have ended in tears; could this have anything to do with the fact that the authors were men? In the 14th century, Chaucer's version was the hilarious Miller's Tale. The teller of that tale takes the view that a wife should have her own private space and if she's satisfying her husband's needs, he shouldn't worry about whether she's satisfying someone else's as well.
The second one is also a well-used theme: man gets sent to prison for crime he did not commit. I suppose The Shawshank Redemption is a classic example but an unusual take on it is Atonement, where the story is told as much from the viewpoint of the accuser, a 13-year-old who thinks she is doing the right thing, as it from the accused's.
If the theme is good enough, you can re-use it in an infinite number of ways.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Jan 2013 15:21:37 GMT
Tuffy says:
Oh yes, me too. I am fascinated by the idea of someone disappearing one day and beginning an entirely new life. If anyone has a book which covers this then I would like to hear.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  thriller discussion forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  12
Initial post:  11 Dec 2012
Latest post:  7 Jan 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions