Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-22 of 22 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 23 Apr 2012 10:37:39 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 25 Apr 2012 07:15:21 BDT]

Posted on 23 Apr 2012 13:30:17 BDT
Sou'Wester says:
Yes all reviews are subjective, but is it not part of the process that customers should be warned off shoddy goods, along with having decent stuff recommended?
I don't see price as an issue; if people are putting up books for sale they should be of an acceptable quality regardless of how much is being charged. It would be unreasonable to expect a cheap e-book to have fancy art work etc. but it should, at the very least, be reasonably literate, free of typos and have a basically neat format. If it fails in these areas then reviewers who highlight these shortcomings are providing a valuable service for their fellow readers. (Any genuine writer will also take proper criticisms on board and seek to improve subsequent work).

Posted on 23 Apr 2012 14:56:13 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 23 Apr 2012 16:25:12 BDT]

Posted on 23 Apr 2012 16:33:39 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 25 Apr 2012 07:15:26 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Apr 2012 18:25:06 BDT
Sou'Wester says:
Depends what you mean by "a few". The odd one or two I can tolerate, but a book littered with errors is infuriating regardless of price.
I suppose one man's "nitpick" is another's "valid criticism", but I still don't think it's helpful to just include glowing reviews (sometimes - with SP work - of rather suspect origin). Look at most conventionally published best-sellers and you'll usually find a cross-section of favourable and unfavourable reviews, and by looking at both pro's and cons this can help potential readers to decide if it suits their tastes.

Posted on 23 Apr 2012 19:12:01 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 25 Apr 2012 07:15:31 BDT]

Posted on 23 Apr 2012 19:40:35 BDT
Garscadden says:
If a book is rubbish it is rubbish, regardless of price.

The general view is that most people who read a lot are lacking time more than money. I really dont care if a book is £5 or £1 - I care a lot if it's is well written and well presented. If its not then to my mind it deserves a negative review.

Posted on 24 Apr 2012 07:43:55 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 24 Apr 2012 09:25:20 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Apr 2012 08:13:13 BDT
Sou'Wester says:
Luke: I think most readers will distinguish between a review that has constructive criticism and one that is just spiteful. Indeed, an out-and-out malicious hatchet job may actually make some readers more sympathetic to the author! One also has to accept the fact that if you put something in the public domain then you must be prepared to handle criticism; the more success you have almost inevitably the more criticism you'll get. If you have a look at most of the best-selling novels or, indeed, established classics, invariably you'll find some folk venting disapproval.
As regards Amazon reviews, I do use them to help identify books that I might potentially enjoy: usually take more notice of 3* or 4* reviews, I can't seriously rate the opinion of someone who dishes out 5* all over the place, but nor will I normally take much notice of a 1* review.

Posted on 24 Apr 2012 21:22:49 BDT
Last edited by the author on 24 Apr 2012 21:23:43 BDT
Garscadden says:
"Luke Silverman says:
How poor can a comment get ?
1. Contribution without reading or totally misunderstanding thread discussing qualitative reviewing and price."
G - I'm not sure why you think this - I did read, you think if a book is cheap then a bad review is unfair because it hasn't cost much

LS - "2. Simplistic statement of perceived fact. i.e 'If a book is rubbish it is rubbish.'"
G - yep, it is fact as i perceive it. I really don't care if a book is cheap or expensive, if it is badly written it has wasted my time. Do you disagree?

LS - "3. Subjective qualification of perceived fact. i.e. 'Regardless of price.'"
G - wtf? Isn't this really just a variation on 2?

LS - "4. Subjective generalisation stated as fact - 'The general view is.....'"
G - this is actually the general view in publishing, but one i happen to agree with. The interesting part is whether the market for ultra cheap books is actually different to the market for good books. A completely different discussion though.

LS - "5. Personal statement of view."
G - yep, completely, 100%. And yours isn't?

LS - "Total relevant contribution to thread is No 5. Is this really the best you can do ?"
G - shrug - yep, that's pretty much the best. But at least I don't delete my comments, if people want to disagree they are free to.

[EDIT - oops, had a 1 where there should have been a 2]

Posted on 24 Apr 2012 21:27:09 BDT
Garscadden says:
Ahh - Luke is a self reviewer. Hi Ben!

Posted on 25 Apr 2012 06:57:10 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 25 Apr 2012 06:57:23 BDT]

Posted on 25 Apr 2012 07:31:03 BDT
Ethereal says:
I've no idea what book/author/review is being discussed here but imo an OP who deletes all his posts has lost the argument. An apology/retraction might be better or ask Az to delete the thread.

Posted on 25 Apr 2012 07:33:23 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 25 Apr 2012 08:53:42 BDT]

Posted on 25 Apr 2012 07:40:39 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 25 Apr 2012 08:53:34 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Apr 2012 07:57:26 BDT
Ethereal says:
If you want a more meaningful contribution you could reinstate your posts?
From my reading between the lines I agree with Sou'.

Posted on 26 Apr 2012 11:25:00 BDT
demeter1948 says:
It is sad to think that a good book can be destroyed by just a couple of people, who think they are gods gift to literature, take JK Rowling and the Beatles both turned down by mindless idiots, I bet they are kicking themselves these days, knowing they had the chancce to make their company rich

Posted on 26 Apr 2012 15:45:30 BDT
Sou'Wester says:
Although getting a book into print in the first place is not easy, it is highly unlikely that - once published - a genuinely good book can be "destroyed" by critics. Look at nearly all the great writers, composers, artists through history and you'll find they had their critics. The writers, composers and artists are still remembered and celebrated long after their critics have died and been forgotten. On the other side of the coin, critics and reviewers aren't always wrong; sadly, there's an increasing amount of mediocre and downright dreadful material being put onto the market, and relevant criticism might just play a useful role in stemming this decline in standards.

Posted on 28 Apr 2012 09:01:48 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 28 Apr 2012 19:12:20 BDT]

Posted on 29 May 2012 11:34:31 BDT
Catherine says:
I've just read reviews of a particular book, won't say which, but four of the reviews were all by A. Customer.
Now, my question is, is this the same person, and is the same person allowed to post multiple reviews?

In reply to an earlier post on 29 May 2012 13:14:48 BDT
Sou'Wester says:
I've come across quite a lot of these "A Customer" reviews, many of them going back quite a few years; I'm rather intrigued by this title and wonder if it's some kind of default pseudonym that Amazon selects rather than the actual reviewer. Any ideas??

In reply to an earlier post on 29 May 2012 13:39:33 BDT
Last edited by the author on 29 May 2012 13:48:35 BDT
Anita says:
I *think* someone has said somewhere, that years back Amazon allowed anonymous reviews. Not any more. You'd hardly find a recent review signed by "A Customer" (there was one who chose it as a user name, but that doesn't count).

EDIT: the same person is *not* allowed to post multiple reviews - in theory
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  thriller discussion forum
Participants:  9
Total posts:  22
Initial post:  23 Apr 2012
Latest post:  29 May 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions