Discussion moved to this forum by Amazon on 22 Apr 2012 22:53:03 BDT.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 142 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 18 Nov 2011 04:25:35 GMT
Simon Palmer says:
So it seems that new authors like myself are not so welcome as we seem to be plugin our own books, but I say lets let the reader decide.

I am suggesting we start something here. Each author give the first three chapters of their book away and let the reader decide...

No more plugin, just the genre and the chapters..Who's in?

Alright I'll start.

My new book, 'Lost Innocence.' is a crime thriller set in Thailand.

To read the first three chapters, go to www.palmerfiction.com

Posted on 18 Nov 2011 09:35:13 GMT
[Deleted by Amazon on 19 Nov 2011 00:39:03 GMT]

Posted on 18 Nov 2011 13:23:02 GMT
[Deleted by Amazon on 19 Nov 2011 00:25:26 GMT]

Posted on 18 Nov 2011 14:05:23 GMT
D. M. Cooper says:
Hatred, Ridicule and Contempt

Pleased to follow suit. My full Prologue is set out as a sample chapter on my blogsite http://davidcooperbooks.blogspot.com/ and there is also a tab describing the principal characters. From my blurb: -

Injustice. Treachery. Sabotage.

Called upon to defend an acrimonious libel action on behalf of an important newspaper client, newly appointed law firm partner Alex Harris never once expected to find his efforts impeded by wanton disregard for ethics and blatant self interest that crossed all boundaries. Not only on the part of his opponents, but also those he should have been able to trust implicitly and without question...

Posted on 18 Nov 2011 20:17:04 GMT
N S Cooke says:
Thank you, Simon, for the opportunity to post and tell everyone about Bandwidth: The Story of Devlin Mallard - Revenge of a Torbay Ghost

In the 21st Century West Country spirits have moved on from Ouija boards and sťances, the dead now travel by broadband - hidden in the Bandwidth. They inhabit the chat rooms, plying their trade online, ever hungry for contact with the living.

Inspired to rediscover his roots and family history, computer programmer, Michael, soon learns that the past is sometimes best left undisturbed: for lurking in the history of his bloodline, is a twisted killer, Devlin Mallard. A man dispatched from this earth in 1929 at the end of a hangman's noose.

Betrayed by his own kind, now freed from the darkness, anti-hero, Devlin Mallard, is hell-bent on exacting revenge and unleashing mayhem.

Re-awakened in Cyberspace, Devlin wreaks havoc. People begin to die and the trail of horrific deaths, winds its way towards Michael, Heather and the children.

Desperate, Michael seeks help from a medium from Paignton, Dedra - who holds sťances in the local spiritualist church hall.

Fighting for his life, and that of his family, he joins forces with murder investigator, Detective Sergeant Woods, and rides a roller-coaster of global killings to the final confrontation. He must face his demon and return Devlin Mallard to the darkness.

Reviews:

"I'm a new fan. Really different. Full of new ideas I've not seen in a ghost story. It gets the thumbs up."

"Epic story with a great deal of action! Devlin is such a charismatic baddie. Couldn't put the book down, hope there is a sequel!!!!!"

"I took this on holiday with me and couldn't put it down, a real page turner, a great addition to anyone's kindle if you like a gruesome thriller to get your teeth into. Some particularly good imagery brings the locations around Devon and around the world to life. I will certainly be adding any further work by Cooke to my kindle."

Posted on 18 Nov 2011 20:44:28 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 18 Nov 2011 20:45:26 GMT]

Posted on 18 Nov 2011 21:38:29 GMT
I just finished my first ebook, a debut novel for publication. I've called it 'LINEAGE (THE WALDNER LEGACY) and I think it ties in with a historical, gothic thriller channeling a generational occupation with obsession and possession.

I never thought of myself as a thriller or horror genre author and it's interesting to be able to share on line with other new authors what to expect or what it feels like to be a 'newbie'.

My story harks back to the late 1790s and follows the fortunes of the family of Hiram and Leah Waldner, and the consequences of adultery and illegitimacy on their descendants. Alexander Nicholson is the main protagonists who is out to correct his own shame by destroying the lives of those around him to get to the daughter of what should have been a distant cousin. He will stop and nothing and will do anything to get what he wants and that is Katrin Kepler.LINEAGE (THE WALDNER LEGACY)

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Nov 2011 15:37:19 GMT
Paul S says:
Hello Simon!

Glad to see you guys getting some air time. I recently read a book by a new author and was surprised at how good it was. I normally just stik to the one's that I know. I'll make sure I give your book a try!

Book I read was 'After Dark' by Jimmy Para. Never heard of this guy before but is a really great read

Hope your book goes well

Posted on 19 Nov 2011 17:15:15 GMT
Beneath a Steel Sky

I have just chosen to publish my debut novel, BENEATH A STEEL SKY, on Kindle.

Sample chapters can be downloaded FREE from matthewillsley.blogspot.com

What we really need is a dedicated UK Kindle author's website. Does anyone know of good ones that do free reviews? If not, can people email me with a view to us authors setting up our own...? mattpbw [at] gmail [dot] com

-----------------------------------------------------

In the never-ending War on Terror everyone has become a suspect: all are digitally tracked; many are constantly watched; none are ever trusted. In the decade since 9/11, homeland security has therefore been a bonanza for high tech firms and defense contractors. For the few the profits have been counted in dollars; for the many the losses have been measured in lives.

October 2012

After discovering the lifeless body of a Congressional researcher, D.C. Detective Nick Bosco is thrust into a looking-glass world where the power of the state is turned against those it is supposed to protect. In a race against time, Bosco must risk everything to expose a conspiracy that aims to use American anti-terror systems to power China's anti-democratic surveillance grid.

In the pursuit of corporate happiness, life and liberty are just two more commodities to be traded with the enemy.

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Nov 2011 18:03:37 GMT
Garscadden says:
Hey Paul - does Jimmy's writing or style get any better after the first couple of pages? His writing just came across as not very good (I know it's a cliche, but it's the old show don't tell thing). His use of paragraphs that are over half the page also seems a bit... weird. Chapter two has a two page para - the sight of that, combined with the stilted writing style really put me off.

As a rip on 28 days later and the like it seems like it may be fun. If the sample had been a bit more readable then I may have gone for it. Given how short the sample is, I guess it's quite a short book too. (Are the Kindle samples 10% of the book, does anyone know?)

I guess it must get a lot better, due to the 5* reviews - those reviewers don't really seem to have reviewed much else, so for this book to have triggered a review it must get really good...

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Nov 2011 02:42:35 GMT
Simon Palmer says:
Thanks Paul.

I'd love to know your thoughts on my first novel. I too always go for an author I know or look for actors I know in a movie, but having three chapters to read of a new author is a great option to discover something new.

Hope you like the first three chapters of LI and if you do, I'll email you the rest with the deal that if you do like the whole thing, you'll write me a review on Amazon.

Fair deal?

www.palmerfiction.com

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Nov 2011 03:58:23 GMT
Simon Palmer says:
Very formal Mr. Illsley.

Probably too formal for kindle bloggers. Don't you have a first name?

A dedicated kindle new authors site sounds interesting.

I have a web site that is running already, I wonder if we could start a blog on it?

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Nov 2011 03:59:40 GMT
Simon Palmer says:
Try my material, I actually believe the writing is consistent throughout..

www.palmerfiction.com

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Nov 2011 16:03:11 GMT
Paul S says:
Hi Garscadden

I don't read too often, so wouldn't be as good as you guys at noticing that sought of stuff. The story just felt quite real, like it could happen. I read it in 3 days so I suppose it is quite short.

Could you recommend any really good stuff?

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Nov 2011 16:06:07 GMT
Paul S says:
Thanks Simon

I'll give it a read and let you know. Sounds like a very fair deal!

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Nov 2011 17:16:27 GMT
Ms Sc Morgan says:
Couple of comments on self published books, proof read and edit your new novels carefully - you've spent time and energy writing your book and if it's a great story nothing is worse for a reader than having to pick through typos, grammatical errors and unedited text. I've seen a lot of book reviews on Amazon for self published books and while the story sounds great if a reviewer comments that it's full of mistakes then I won't consider reading it. Like eating fish with bones.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Nov 2011 01:11:20 GMT
Simon Palmer says:
Absolutely! I mean let us be professional here..

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Nov 2011 01:12:14 GMT
Simon Palmer says:
Thanks Paul, looking forward to your thoughts.

Posted on 21 Nov 2011 10:41:02 GMT
[Deleted by Amazon on 21 Nov 2011 23:38:52 GMT]

Posted on 21 Nov 2011 20:39:32 GMT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on 23 Nov 2011 02:47:23 GMT
Loxxibana says:
Greetings, Simon. I agree with you totally. Self-published writers don't have the benefits of a marketing and publicity department behind them to do all the plugging for them, and we have to scrap for every morsel of attention we can get.

I'm a new-ish author (insofar as I've had books 'out there' for a couple of years), so I probably just about qualify...I founded Fenriswulf Books in 2008 to put out my new series of dark, gritty religious-themed thrillers, which have recently made their way on to Kindle.

Venus in Saturn (The Trinity Chronicles) is the first book in the 'Trinity Chronicles' series of labyrinthine conspiracy novels with unorthodox religious and supernatural overtones. In 'Venus' we're introduced to brilliant but troubled CSI investigator Dr. Vanessa Descartes, a woman haunted daily by her past, as she struggles to help solve a Jack the Ripper copycat murder case in London. It's the eve of the Millennium and the clock is ticking...but is time running out for Vanessa?

The second book in the series (although it was actually written first!) is Maranatha (The Trinity Chronicles). Herein we catch up with Vanessa seven years after 'Venus', whereupon she has been called upon to conduct forensic research upon the Holy Spear of Jesus...with horrifying results.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Nov 2011 04:19:37 GMT
Simon Palmer says:
Hi Loxxibana

Great that you have a publisher! Probably the hardest thing to find....

I had a publisher before I came out here to Thailand, but once I arrived they decided not to publish me anymore and offered me an e book deal instead.

You know I would have liked to have lived in the time when if your book wasn't good enough, you just wouldn't be accepted. I could live with that, would write it again until it was good enough.

But now anybody can write anything and self-publish it. Flooding the review sites with material..... Amazon and other online retailers now have such a mass of books that when a new autor like me comes along his book that may be good just gets lost in the masses of books that self-publishers have released without even reading them...

Moan, moan moan......

I'm so happy that you have made it and are published, my dream.....

Will take a look at your books, but surprisingly I am a lousy reader.

In the meantime, take a look at my first book and if you like it, I'll email you the rest.

Thanks for listening...

Simon

www.palmerfiction.com

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Nov 2011 08:38:17 GMT
The reader can read free samples anyway. It was a nice idea.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Nov 2011 09:13:17 GMT
Simon Palmer says:
?

Posted on 23 Nov 2011 10:39:16 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 23 Nov 2011 10:39:51 GMT]
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the thriller discussion forum (395 discussions)

ARRAY(0xb0e486a8)

This discussion

Participants:  70
Total posts:  142
Initial post:  18 Nov 2011
Latest post:  8 Dec 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions