Customer Discussions > thriller discussion forum

Suggestions for a new thriller reader please

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 543 posts in this discussion
Posted on 13 Jul 2014 12:22:54 BDT
Sand says:
Any novel by Susan Moody, the best British crime writer.

Posted on 13 May 2014 07:51:59 BDT
Last edited by the author on 13 May 2014 07:53:23 BDT
Thanks for those recommendations; they sound really good, but I don't pay that much for my Kindle books. I know I'm probably missing out on some good reads, but I am so easily disappointed. I've just enjoyed
Look Behind You
THE ACCIDENT and
The Chase: an ebook short story
which were all cheapies but (in my opinion) excellent.

Posted on 13 May 2014 01:55:06 BDT
Last edited by the author on 13 May 2014 01:56:48 BDT
I'm in a romantic suspense phase at the minute and have been alternately working my way through "The Faces of Evil" series by Debra Webb and the "Tracers" series by Laura Griffin and enjoying both very much. While the Debra Webb books are better read in sequence, Laura Griffin's can be read either as part of a series or as stand alone. While these may not seem technically to be thrillers they certainly are full of twists and suspense and are a very enjoyable read.
Obsession: Faces of Evil 1
Untraceable (Tracers)

Posted on 18 Apr 2014 01:30:59 BDT
I also loved Broken Dolls (A Jefferson Winter Thriller) and look forward to.more from this author.

Posted on 18 Mar 2014 18:33:09 GMT
I've just finished James Carol's first book "Broken Dolls". WOW - it was terrific. I haven't read such a good book in ages, and at the moment, I think it's just 59p.

Posted on 18 Mar 2014 18:05:06 GMT
[Deleted by the author on 18 Mar 2014 18:05:51 GMT]

Posted on 3 Mar 2014 10:25:06 GMT
I'm reading yet another great book by Sharon Bolton (formerly known as S J Bolton) called Like This, For Ever: Lacey Flint Series, Book 3

This is the third in the Lacey Flint series, and I would recommend starting at book one - although they do all stand alone. I have never been disappointed in any of her books, and they are well worth a try.

Posted on 23 Jan 2014 21:39:05 GMT
Last edited by the author on 20 Jul 2014 15:44:29 BDT
The Bookworm says:
I am enjoying J D Robb's Eve Cassidy books set in 2050. The character development is great, the humour dry and the detection can be quite absorbing. There are a few too many sex scenes for me but I can always imagine waves pounding on the shore if I don't want to read the aforesaid and Roarke is drop dead gorgeous!! By the way, I am not the Bookworm that is promoting her own book.....

Posted on 25 Nov 2013 13:49:51 GMT
Josephine says:
I've just finished The Blue Trilogy by Jonathan Cox. New author. Great reading, hooked from the start. Downside, could do with another book as it ended too soon, or maybe slightly longer stories.

Posted on 25 Nov 2013 09:47:42 GMT
Gerry Foley says:
I enjoyed "The Fox and The Thistle" by new author James T Flynn. If you enjoy the works of Stephen Leather ("Spider" Shepherd) or Paul Finch ("Heck" Heckenburg) I think you'll enjoy the adventures of Jamie Fox. Well worth a read.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Aug 2013 10:06:04 BDT
I loved "before I go to sleep " couldn't put it down!

Posted on 18 Aug 2013 23:51:41 BDT
Anita says:
Not exactly on topic, but: has anyone noticed that links to the discussion threads have disappeared from the product description pages? Go check any book, you will not be directed to any forum.

Well - at the very least no newbie will find them at *their* book page, and thus won't think the forums are specifically for their self-promotion... hopefully

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Aug 2013 22:16:16 BDT
Sou'Wester says:
I wish that were true, but I'm not convinced. There is such a surfeit of books today, many of them of little or no merit, that it is ever more difficult for the ordinary reader to discover gems. We assume that the number of talented writers increases in proportion with the number of books published but - alas - it's a false assumption.

Posted on 18 Aug 2013 18:34:02 BDT
Taloolabell says:
I used to think authors got a bit of a rough ride being told off on these forums but the more I use them the more I'm inclined to agree they need to pipe down!!
It's a shame, prob some good books out there that have been ignored because of relentless spammers. Ah well. If your good enough your work and genuine reviews will speak for you.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Aug 2013 08:46:58 BDT
TomC says:
" On the other hand (and you see this time and time again in both forum posts and "shill" reviews), there are those who promote books in which they have a vested interest in a way which suggests they are totally disinterested parties - and that is deceitful. "

In the case of reviews it's far worse in my view. Most forum readers have developed the ability to sniff out posts written by someone who has an interest in promoting the book; they are not tolerated, and rightly so. We can also spot the shill reviews; if the reviews for a book have been heavily stacked with 5 star short recommendations that is usually an indicator, and if the preview fails to live up to the review grading, it's a sure sign that friends, relations and in some cases even publishers have been actively promoting.

We, however, are in the minority. Most people reading reviews tend to take them at face value, and they will see a large number of 5 star grades as a genuine recommendation. For so-called authors to behave in this way is contemptible.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Aug 2013 20:47:05 BDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Aug 2013 18:39:54 BDT
Sou'Wester says:
Roy: The difference is very marked. On the one hand you have someone openly promoting their own book - or one in which they have a vested interest - where there is no attempt to hide or disguise their identity. Although this against Amazon rules, there is no attempt on the part of these individuals to conceal their involvement with the book being recommended; they are not trying to pull a fast one on potential readers. On the other hand (and you see this time and time again in both forum posts and "shill" reviews), there are those who promote books in which they have a vested interest in a way which suggests they are totally disinterested parties - and that is deceitful. When you see a post on the lines of, "I've just read a great thriller by XXXX and I couldn't put it down" and you then find out this was posted by the book's author (or their wife or publisher) I think most people would find that unacceptable.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Aug 2013 18:38:01 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 15 Aug 2013 10:39:58 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Aug 2013 18:27:47 BDT
No I don't believe for one minute writers win anything by making readers unhappy, we both need each other. DESPERATE self promotion. I can't see that helping anyone, themselves included. Let me make a point here. i have readers who like my work, they leave me reviews and e-mail me to tell me so, and I love them for their trouble, even pay out of my pocket for a paperback and postage to send them a free book. Freesia is one such person and rightly or wrongly I class her as my friend even though we have never met. i think i once offered you the same, you read my book and to me that makes you my friend. I have a friends who have left meagre reviews which say nothing and i sometimes cringe, but I wouldn't dare tell them to delete. Things in the past are gone and forgotten Anita, lifes too short and I thank you for your message. Please tell the downvoters to take care of their finger tips, I'd hate for them to bleed to death. Take care and speak soon.

Posted on 14 Aug 2013 18:02:37 BDT
Last edited by the author on 14 Aug 2013 18:03:16 BDT
Thanks, P. Cole, I like the look of "Schlock Horror!" and have just downloaded it! The reviews are terrific, so I just hope it lives up to its expectations!

Posted on 14 Aug 2013 17:56:46 BDT
P. Cole says:
Just read Schlock Horror! I'd never heard of the writer Michael Forte and can't find anything else by him, but this was recommended by a friend and is really special. A unique blend of very funny and extremely scary. Imaginative and brilliant I'd recommend. Hope he is writing another.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Aug 2013 15:48:51 BDT
Anita says:
Roy - as you pretty well know, it's a catch-22 situation. Problem is that it's usually *readers* who are unhappy about desperate self-promotion (and yes, that includes reviews by family members and such), and it's *writers* who try pushing their books at any cost. So - just a question: do writers win anything by annoying readers and making them unhappy?

There are lots of very bad books. Still, their authors (and the friends of authors) describe them as brilliant and original, and <you name it>. It's not an opinion. It's a hoax. As far as I see it.

I don't really want to go again into the things we've talked about a lot of times. However, I want to tell you something personally, so hope you'll find my message

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Aug 2013 15:01:56 BDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on 14 Aug 2013 12:59:53 BDT

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Aug 2013 07:56:38 BDT
Sou'Wester says:
Well, I'm a computer thickie but worked it out almost by accident. Because it has successfully caught out some of the more disreputable spammers in these forums, I don't think it advisable to give the game away in these forums; if these people can't be bothered to check that their identity can (quite legitimately) be revealed, I have no desire to give them any clues!
I've become more-or-less resigned to self-promotion in these threads, but I draw a clear line between the "honest" authors and the deceitful ones. The "read my latest novel" posts can be irritating but where there's no attempt to deceive customers it's not that serious an issue. However, those who advertise their own work (or that of close friends/associates) but try and kid us that their recommendations are from genuine, unbiased customers are quite despicable, and fully deserve to be "named and shamed" by fellow posters.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 22 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the thriller discussion forum (396 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  thriller discussion forum
Participants:  203
Total posts:  543
Initial post:  17 Apr 2012
Latest post:  13 Jul 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 28 customers

Search Customer Discussions