Customer Discussions > thriller discussion forum

did anyone not like Stieg Larsons books?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 56 posts in this discussion
Posted on 19 Sep 2013 16:49:53 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 19 Sep 2013 16:58:52 BDT]

Posted on 13 Apr 2013 20:47:06 BDT
Pampy says:
I enjoyed all three but admit they were heavy going at times ...maybe an edit for English market to help the pace of the trilogy. Off to read Nesbo now.

Posted on 13 Apr 2013 18:35:59 BDT
I enjoyed all three. Different strokes.

Posted on 13 Apr 2013 18:23:26 BDT
I tried to listen to the Girl with the Dragon tattoo but gave up after falling asleep at the same place several times and eventually losing the will to continue. Narrator was fine but I do find that audio books will show up the weakness in books particularly where they are padded out

Posted on 12 Apr 2013 22:15:23 BDT
Damien Boyd says:
I found the first book to be hard going and it didn't really get going for me until I was nearly two thirds of the way through it. I nearly gave up on several occasions but I am glad I stuck with it.The second book moved at a faster pace and I am about to embark on number 3.

If you are reading the first one and are 100 or so pages into it and struggling...stick with it...it does get going and when it does, it's good.

In reply to an earlier post on 12 Apr 2013 12:52:03 BDT
I read them all - first purchase on my Kindle as everyone was raving about them - but I hated all of them, bored me to tears.

Posted on 12 Apr 2013 11:13:47 BDT
N. Brown says:
Agree. Just couldn't get past the style - very clunky, with far too much "tell" and not enough "show". Clearly there are some strong stories in there but I just didn't find it an engaging read.

Posted on 12 Apr 2013 10:53:17 BDT
grannybling says:
I loved them so much I could not bear to watch the films in case (as is usually the case) they ruined them for me. Started a love affair with Scandi thrillers.

Posted on 25 Mar 2013 15:04:50 GMT
booklover says:
yes they were overrated but that wasnt the authors fault! they were too long and drawn out. I enjoyed the first one, the second one had great descriptions of ikea furniture but i persevered until the end but I couldnt face the third one and ended up watching the film which was excellent so then i wondered if the book was as good!

Posted on 20 Mar 2013 20:08:21 GMT
D.K. Janotta says:
Yeah, this author didn't like them much either.

STIEG LARSSON Man, Myth & Mistress

I read through this in one evening and it gives a lot of insight into the background of how the books got to where they are. I thought the translations were bad too - it appears the translator (Reg Keeland) did the first one in a hurry to prepare it for a possible English screenplay, and then got into a dispute with the editor.

Posted on 13 Mar 2013 14:18:31 GMT
I loved the books although I did find that sometimes he would start to waffle on and add details that weren't necessarily needed. I did like the way he would refer to the works of a press room on deadlines and the use of Quark, although I can see why this may confuse many who don't work in press rooms as they may think it's a type of Turkish cheese. All in all they are very good books once you get through the first 100 or so pages.

On another note, authors aren't allowed to promote themselves on Amazon so I'm going to leave a mention for my sister now - Dead Letter Day by Keri Beevis is available on Kindle and in paperback now. It's actually a VERY good read for people who like tense thrillers. Also, if you like crime writing with a tongue firmly embedded in its cheek then check out Carl Hiaasen, I've read all of his books and loved the lot.

Posted on 12 Mar 2013 13:01:43 GMT
Scarlet Lady says:
Could not get into these books at all. Which is unusual for me.

Posted on 5 Mar 2013 04:38:20 GMT
Last edited by the author on 19 Sep 2013 17:00:30 BDT
I thought the first two weren't bad at all, but the last one did tend to drag a lot and was very, very preachy, far too much Swedish politics.
However it had it's moments (good court scenes) and the ending was good (nailing feet to floor).
All in all not the greatest thing since sliced bread but not half bad.

Posted on 21 Feb 2013 22:54:56 GMT
JC says:
Strangely, even though they were overwritten and full of too much detail I still loved all three books. While you may not like them they did at least allow all the other Scandinavian thriller writers to break out into the English language market. I know a few will point at Henning Mankell for doing this but I didn't come accross Jo Nesbo or Hakken Nessar until after Stiegs breakthrough. Probably the people that really don't like Larson are all those Scandinavian writers tagged as 'the next Stieg Larson'. Poor old Jo Nesbo was saddled with this and his books are nothing like the Millennium Trilogy!

Posted on 21 Feb 2013 15:58:23 GMT
Steven says:
I was absolutely gripped by these books, but there is no getting away from the fact they needed some editing. as another poster has said, the author may well have done this but for his untimely death.

Posted on 21 Feb 2013 14:55:31 GMT
Typo Stan says:
I read them all, and enjoyed them, but I read and enjoy a lot of Scandi-noir and foreign books in translation, and in the original languages. It is an acqured taste.

With the Stieg Larssons, I did think there was quite a lot of padding, making them over-long for many readers. I suspect, if he had lived longer, the author might have revised them, and stripped some of the 'fat' out.

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Feb 2013 14:24:37 GMT
bookworm says:
Read them all but not impressed.

Posted on 21 Feb 2013 14:21:17 GMT
I find them great stories, but over-written. Takes pages to actually get into the story, and by then i'm peed off.

Posted on 18 Feb 2013 15:33:43 GMT
Meeeee -- too much coffee drinking in them..... the man should have died of Tachycardia.....

Posted on 18 Feb 2011 16:25:05 GMT
DebbieB says:
I have read all three of the books, which were forced on me by an enthusiastic friend, and I too can find no reason for all the hype which has surrounded them. Is it because of the death of the writer? To be honest I am sick of people asking whether I have read them and raving about them. They are perfectly readable but very ordinary.
I can't get over the incredible moving tatoo, which on each book cover is sited completely differently. Why?
Also by the time I got to the third book I found the foreign names (foreign at least to me) completely distracting to the flow of the story.

Posted on 18 Feb 2011 16:01:05 GMT
Bryan Gilmer says:
I, too, have never gotten beyond Dragon Tattoo. The book was overlong by at least 40 percent. Another problem is the hipocrisy: The protagonist is a slut who, for some reason, is able to sleep with every woman he meets with no emotional connection to any of them. And this is what he considers feminist? And the rape scene near the beginning of the book is vomitiously graphic, and though we are being told how terrible such abuse of a woman is, the author seems a bit gleeful and pervy about the scene. Also, why did it take so long to notice the key detail about the photo? And if you're going to have a brooding Scandinavian pace, why introduce an American television-style gun battle at the end?

I found the historical bits about Swedish Nazi sympathizers quite interesting, and of course, Elisabeth is a captivating character. I think that she gets a lot of credit for the success of the books. She's an enigma, a sympathetic figure, and readers want to spend more time with her and learn more about her. And, the U.S. covers are brilliant, and never underestimate the power of a pretty store display on us American consumers.

Bryan Gilmer, author, Southern U.S. crime thriller Felonious Jazz and mystery Kill the Story, both on Kindle Store UK for 71p

Posted on 15 Feb 2011 20:22:25 GMT
I thought the 1st one was okay, but not fantastic, couldn't even get past the 1st chapter of the 2nd bk, so didn't bother with the 3rd one.
I think it was only because of the author dying before publication that they got so much publicity!!!

Posted on 15 Feb 2011 19:18:26 GMT
These books were highly recommended to me by my in-laws, so I was rather shocked by the sadism. I have to admit that, although I tried hard, I could not make it through the first book. Instead I skipped around to get the gist of the story, which I found rather lacking. Strangely, the bits about Swedish society were the most interesting for me. But I still won't be seeing the films.

Posted on 15 Feb 2011 18:33:59 GMT
ANITA says:
Boring. A real product of hype. Mind Bomb

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Feb 2011 18:18:20 GMT
In your opinion...
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the thriller discussion forum (396 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  thriller discussion forum
Participants:  48
Total posts:  56
Initial post:  11 Nov 2010
Latest post:  19 Sep 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions