Customer Discussions > thriller discussion forum

Help! Just read the shining by Stephen King and was disappointed

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-13 of 13 posts in this discussion
Posted on 26 Sep 2013 21:41:14 BDT
Pet Sematary is a creepy read indeed...if you perfer gory, try some of the short story collections, The Langoliers is my personal favourite (from 4 Past Midnight I think), and Skeleton Crew had a few gruesome ones!. Don't be put off by The Shining - I think it's maybe one of the films that was actually better than the book..all I could think of when reading it was how Jack Nicholson was much scarier than the Jack in the book (the kid in the film was really freaky too !)...Persevere - it will be worth it!

Posted on 23 Sep 2013 12:32:57 BDT
Caroelle says:
I read his books in my early 20s and thought that they were great. I suspect that if I re- read them now, nearly 30 Years later, I would be more critical. As a parent however, I might be tempted to do what the father in Pet semetary did! I suspect that The Stand and It are ones I could re-read. I always thought that his stories involving children were the best.

Posted on 19 Sep 2013 16:29:03 BDT
Pity you did not like "The Shining" as it's a classic.
I found "Duma Key" very creepy, there are lots and lots of others.
Why not try some of his short story collections.
Each one always contains at least a few gems.

Posted on 16 Sep 2013 19:26:50 BDT
Lissy Lou says:
I really enjoyed Gerald's game and a more unknown one of his called Thinner, it might of been written under Richard Bachman. The Stand is still the best though.

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Sep 2013 09:51:27 BDT
Steven says:
Pet Sematary was the first King I ever read-- and while I'm sure di-hard King fans wouldn't call it his best book, it is still the one I remember most fondly. Like another poster I also enjoyed 'It' years ago as well.

Posted on 11 Sep 2013 19:10:38 BDT
Alan Fleet says:
I enjoyed Misery the most, and it was turned into an excellent film with an Oscar-winning performance.

Salem's Lot comes a close second.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Aug 2013 21:15:11 BDT
G.McGee says:
Well, I loved Pet Sematary years ago when I read it, creeped me out. But then I also really liked the Shining so you might want to ignore this.

Posted on 21 Aug 2013 16:12:56 BDT
I read the Tommyknockers, and do not think it is one of his best. Even the film was below par.

Posted on 21 Aug 2013 14:55:15 BDT
Last edited by the author on 21 Aug 2013 18:51:54 BDT
TomC says:
I enjoyed The Stand - in printed form it's a doorstop, though, so it takes a bit of commitment. It's only fair to warn you that although a lot of people enjoyed it, some hate it, mainly because of the length.

After it was published, Mr King decided he hadn't quite said all he needed to, so he produced an even bigger expanded edition. I've not read that one.

PS: Anita, I second your recommendation for The Dead Zone. Among his best.

Posted on 21 Aug 2013 14:46:52 BDT
Christine is not bad.

Posted on 21 Aug 2013 14:07:38 BDT
Anita says:
My favourite King:

The Dead Zone

Not exactly "horror", *almost* realistic, and, possibly, closest to a thriller. I'm not a big King's fan, but if I had to recommend just one books of his, it would be this one

Posted on 21 Aug 2013 10:46:03 BDT
It I read IT many years ago and liked it then - but that was during my 'I love horror' period. I avoid horrors now.

Initial post: 21 Aug 2013 10:03:43 BDT
I am a thriller reader usually gory however I thought I would give Stephen King a go. I was so disappointed in "The Shining" but would like another recommendation by Stephen King as his ratings are really high! Any thoughts??The Shining
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the thriller discussion forum (396 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  thriller discussion forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  13
Initial post:  21 Aug 2013
Latest post:  26 Sep 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions