Customer Discussions > thriller discussion forum

Plug somebody else's book

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 96 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 23 Jun 2011 11:56:25 BDT
M Stanley says:
This is simple...

You've read something you loved recently, thriller or crime thriller only, then plug it here. You DO NOT plug your own books (aside from a link in your signature). Be warned.

I'll start it off, then. Deadfolk by Charlie Williams is a top notch crime thriller. It starts a little slowly, but once it cranks into gear it races by like a hurricane, or a Ford Capri 2.8i when it's really running well, and really puts its hooks in you. It ain't for the faint of heart, but it's a cracking read.

Martin
The Gamblers

Posted on 23 Jun 2011 12:07:33 BDT
Last edited by the author on 23 Jun 2011 12:25:59 BDT
Ford Capri 2.8i??? Sorry, as a petrol head I had to laugh - I love those cars as they have character - but they ain't fast today where even the slowest hot hatch has over 200bhp. Nice Cologne V6 noise on drive by though, and fast for their day. Maybe the Capri had the 2.8 lump removed to make way for a nice 5 litre V8?

I read Exit Wound (Nick Stone 12) by Andy McNab not long ago - very good!

I wish I could plug a lesser known authors work but I have been so busy writing lately and most of the books I do read tend to be mostly none fiction.

Winston.
Bobby on the Run

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Jun 2011 12:26:20 BDT
M Stanley says:
The Capri comment is a reference to the novel. The hero Royston Blake swears by his...

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Jun 2011 12:32:37 BDT
Last edited by the author on 23 Jun 2011 12:39:33 BDT
I see! Blake has a good taste in cars. Certainly a better choice than Bodie and Doyle - the 2.8i has got more go than the 3.0S.

Just checked the book, Blake sounds quite a character! Looks good (so does yours).

Posted on 23 Jun 2011 12:42:47 BDT
M Stanley says:
It's a cracking read is Deadfolk. Heartily recommended. And Blake would concur with your comment about his taste in cars.

Just checked out your books too (the plug and the one you wrote) and they both may make an appearance on my shelf sometime around payday (which can't come around fast enough in my case).

Posted on 23 Jun 2011 12:43:14 BDT
Last edited by the author on 23 Jun 2011 12:56:53 BDT
Mews says:
Any book by Lawrence Block gets a plug from me ;-)

That aside though, the book I am currently reading now is great and deserves a plug The Long Midnight of Barney Thomson (Book 1).

I downloaded and read the sample for Deadfolk the other day. Looks good and will probably be my next purchase when I am finished the one I am reading now.

Edit: Just checked out The Gamblers and sent my kindle a sample ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Jun 2011 12:57:51 BDT
I would be very pleased if one of those books did! Good idea for a thread too. I now have two more books on my 'to read list'.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Jun 2011 13:07:05 BDT
Last edited by the author on 23 Jun 2011 13:07:40 BDT
M Stanley says:
I love Lawrence Block. His Bernie Rhodenbarr books are just genius and Small Town: A Novel Of New York is top notch. Glad to hear you'll be another addition to Deadfolk's legion of fans. Will check out the 'Barney Thomson' link now. Oh and thanks for downloading a sample of mine - hope you like it!

Thanks, Winston, for the comment about the thread. I think if you really plug something you enjoy and somebody else enjoys it because of your plug then it's a great feeling.

Posted on 23 Jun 2011 13:17:38 BDT
Have any of you read Sam Millar's The Redemption Factory? Millar's writing is always spare, powerful and dark. If you've read The Darkness of Bones, for instance, you already know what a brilliant writer he is. The Redemption Factory grips from the first word and doesn't let go. Noir fans shouldn't miss it!

Posted on 23 Jun 2011 13:18:06 BDT
M Stanley says:
The Long Midnight of Barney Thomson (Book 1) looks great by the way. Looks like I'll be skint straightaway by the time pay day comes around. Oh well, it's only money!

Here's another plug He Died with His Eyes Open (Factory 1) by Derek Raymond. All of his 'Factory' books are well worth the read. He's one of Britain's best and most underappreaciated crime writers.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Jun 2011 13:19:08 BDT
M Stanley says:
Keep hearing about Sam Millar. Will look into that one further...

Posted on 27 Jun 2011 17:14:02 BDT
M Stanley says:
Another very good novel to add to the list of plugs for other folks Yellow Medicine

Posted on 30 Jun 2011 20:04:56 BDT
Dan Holloway says:
M - it's my pleasure to be interviewing Anthony Neil Smith of Yellow Medicine tomorrow (http://thecompanyoffellows.wordpress.com/how-long-is-a-piece-of-rope/)

My personal favourites Loisaida -- A New York Story by Marion Stein and The Other Room by James Everington

Posted on 30 Jun 2011 20:41:56 BDT
Okay, here's a couple...
Dan Holloway's The Company of Fellows is a great thriller. And you can't beat Jake Barton's BURN, BABY, BURN for sheer page turning indulgence. Both under £1 so enjoy...

Simon Swift Black Shadows

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Jul 2011 15:36:51 BDT
M Stanley says:
Hi Dan,

I will have to read that particular post, particularly as 'Hogdoggin'' is one of the next books on my reading list.

Another recommendation: The Unquiet Heart, really enjoyed it

Simon: plan to put Dan's book on my Kindle; will have a closer look at Jake's book (my initial glance at the cover put me off - being a designer by trade, I tend to be a cover snob)

Posted on 1 Jul 2011 19:58:46 BDT
Debbie says:
OK. I'll go for No Limit by Fred Anderson. I *loved* this thriller. And The Drummer from Anthony Neil Smith. Both awesomely good books and worth every penny I paid.

Debbie
Hamelin's Child

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Jul 2011 21:46:21 BDT
Hank says:
Hello readers, I recently read, Into Darkness, by Jonathan Lewis and fell in love with the unique style of writing, the mystery, and the surprise ending - I highly recommend it for those who love suspense, and intrigue.

Hank
The Murder Squad

Posted on 3 Jul 2011 12:07:39 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 29 Jan 2012 01:06:04 GMT]

Posted on 9 Jul 2011 21:06:55 BDT
Marion Stein says:
Thank you to Dan Holloway. I'd recommend him, but it would look like a swap, and besides The Company of Fellows doesn't need my help. So I'll plug two who are NEVER in these forums: The Dead Beat by the inimitable Cody James and Glimpses of a Floating World by Larry Harrison.

Posted on 20 Jul 2011 11:05:23 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 29 Jan 2012 01:06:10 GMT]

Posted on 20 Jul 2011 17:03:42 BDT
Rose Robbins says:
I just finished reading "Hunter" by R. Bidinotto for the second time. It's Bidinotto's first thriller, but it was impressively exciting and full of the entertaining characters and snappy dialogue that get me hooked. I am pretty sure the book is the first of a series, so I'm waiting anxiously for the next one to come out! Here's the link: HUNTER: A Thriller (A Dylan Hunter Thriller)

Posted on 20 Jul 2011 19:23:21 BDT
For a completely different read, I'd recommend The Killing of a Bank Manager. It's a very enjoyable romp.

Posted on 23 Jul 2011 09:52:48 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 29 Jan 2012 01:06:13 GMT]

Posted on 23 Jul 2011 11:38:19 BDT
Last edited by the author on 23 Jul 2011 11:43:22 BDT
C. Hinton says:
For a really satisfying thriller you won't do much better than 'Loose Cannon' by Ian Okell, It's fast, violent and darkly funny. As far as I'm concerned it beats Jack Reacher hands down. Although it's got several reviews on Amazon, all 5 star, I'd never heard of the author or seen it reviewed in a newspaper and only came across it by reccomendation from a friend - now I'm trying to spread the word.
Loose Cannon

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Posted on 23 Jul 2011 17:45:18 BDT
Last edited by the author on 25 Jul 2011 12:39:17 BDT
Havana Room by Colin Harrison.
I picked it up as a remainder, sorry Colin, but it leaps off the page. All the characters live. None are cyphers, dropped in place to carry some plot point forward, as so often happens.
There is a big 'really?' at the heart of the plot but that aside, worth a pop.
Also, early on there is a three or four page potted history of real estate in NY that is a total tour de force.
I'll read more by this writer without a doubt.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the thriller discussion forum (396 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  thriller discussion forum
Participants:  61
Total posts:  96
Initial post:  23 Jun 2011
Latest post:  4 Apr 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions