Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Summer Savings Up to 25% Off Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis Learn more Shop now Learn more
Customer Discussions > thriller discussion forum

Thrillers with Maritime Themes

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 77 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 2 Sep 2011 07:03:17 BDT
Last edited by the author on 3 Oct 2011 19:19:57 BDT
Roger Weston says:
The Golden Catch - After a violent storm, Bering Sea crab fisherman and ex-assassin Frank Murdoch discovers a cave filled with artifacts on his remote Alaskan island. Only problem is the Korean Mafia has been searching for this particular cache of treasure since WWII. Can Frank use the survival skills from his past to save his son and archaeologist Abby Sinclair?

#5 in UK Kindle Store > Books > Fiction > Men's Adventure

Only 86p on Kindle!

Posted on 6 Sep 2011 06:59:23 BDT
Last edited by the author on 3 Oct 2011 19:20:21 BDT
Roger Weston says:
Here's another one for just 86p!

The Assassin's Wife - For drama professor Meg Coles, Shakespeare's quote "All the world's a stage" has just become a horrible reality. After witnessing her husband's termination, she is running for her life. To evade the snare of the black ops death teams she must learn fast how to play the role of hunted prey. From a ship on the icy expanse of the Bering Sea to a jet boat in the depths of Hell's Canyon, will Meg be able to outfox her pursuers and find the dirt on them she needs to survive?

#6 in UK Amazon Books > Crime, Thrillers & Mystery > Political

Posted on 16 Sep 2011 17:43:18 BDT
Last edited by the author on 3 Oct 2011 18:49:30 BDT
Roger Weston says:
The Golden Catch

Customer review:
"This is one of the best books I have read all year, and I couldn't put it down...If you like Clive Cussler, Matthew Reilly or Daniel Silva you will like this book, it had me gripped from page one and the ending is truly exciting."

#5 in Kindle Store > Books > Fiction > Men's Adventure

Only 86p on Kindle!

Posted on 16 Sep 2011 20:09:36 BDT
[Deleted by Amazon on 16 Jan 2013 07:00:10 GMT]

Posted on 21 Sep 2011 19:09:00 BDT
Roger Weston says:
Thanks for posting, Dr. Dawson!

Posted on 3 Oct 2011 18:48:58 BDT
Roger Weston says:
The Assassin's Wife
#6 in Books > Crime, Thrillers & Mystery > Political

"This book grabbed me with the first sentence. It was adventure filled and thrilling."

Only 86p on Kindle!

Posted on 3 Oct 2011 18:55:13 BDT
Paul Anthony says:
The Conchenta Conundrum
Bushfire
Both of these are in kindle and paperback. Conchenta Conundrum is set in a harbour town and the lead detective has a yacht etc..... Bushfire is a thriller by the same author - starts with a submarine launch and ends with a submarine chase.... that's kind of marine theme

Posted on 3 Oct 2011 19:14:56 BDT
Ian Fraser says:
The last third of the following book takes place in a submarine. (The narrative takes place in flashbacks and 'flash forwards')

-=~~-=~~-=~~-=~~-=~~-=~~-=~-=~~-=~~-=~~-=~~-=~~-=~~-=~=~~-=~~-=~~-=~~-=~~-=~~-=~
The Depths of Deception (11 five-star reviews in the US)

"...one of the most remarkable books I've ever had the pleasure of reading"

America has disappeared some years ago. A neo-fascist Party has come to power in the UK. China is on the rise. A submarine hurtles through the cold dark waters of the Atlantic en route to an unknown destination. Only the ship's doctor knows its true mission, but he is not who he appears to be.

A sweeping tale moving from the violent heart of Apartheid South Africa, to the ruins of the United Kingdom, and down to the edge of the world in the frozen Antarctic landscape, The Depths of Deception is a tale of revenge, served as a shatteringly cold dish.

"An adventure tale on the order of LeCarre's The Spy Who Came in from the Cold..."

"Exceptional ALMOST Captures How Good this book is!"
"You get the sense that this author understands the "Human Condition" all too well. Our weaknesses, our hopes and our failures."

-=~~-=~~-=~~-=~~-=~~-=~~-=~-=~~-=~~-=~~-=~~-=~~-=~~-=~=~~-=~~-=~~-=~~-=~~-=~~-=~

Posted on 3 Oct 2011 20:02:05 BDT
LollyK says:
I really like Penny Deacon's near-future thriller series set at a port - the heroine lives on a boat, and is a wine smuggler. First in the series is "A Kind of Puritan".... I loved it.

Posted on 3 Oct 2011 20:29:39 BDT
Not sure if they would be classed as thrillers but most of the series of books by Clive Cussler (Dirk Pitt Books, NUMA Files, Oregon Files etc) are maritime based and really really good reads.

Posted on 8 Oct 2011 20:21:13 BDT
Roger Weston says:
If you interested in 15th century maritime history check out:

The Golden Catch
#3 in Men's Adventure

86p on Kindle

Posted on 31 Oct 2011 21:35:19 GMT
Roger Weston says:
Hi Claire, Clive Cussler's books are considered maritime thrillers. Thanks for recommending them. I agree, they are great reads.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Nov 2011 12:38:56 GMT
Tim Frost says:
Kindle owners, my three nautical thrillers can be yours for a mere 99p each.

Final Passage
The Abigail Affair
The Shoot

Fair winds and happy reading!

Tim

Posted on 22 Nov 2011 16:16:40 GMT
D Bladen says:
Hungry as the Sea by Wilbur Smith for something a bit different and it's a great read.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Nov 2011 17:03:44 GMT
LEP says:
Alister McLean has written one re. on board a ship.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Nov 2011 17:09:04 GMT
Last edited by the author on 22 Nov 2011 17:11:56 GMT
LEP says:
Silent Thunder and also Shadow Zone by Iris and Roy Johansen

Can't think why we are actually listing books as the OP was only advertising his own book.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Nov 2011 18:56:26 GMT
Roger Weston says:
Hi LEP - Are you thinking of HMS Ulysses? Have you read it? I haven't but Alistair MacLean is one of my favorite authors. Thanks for mentioning him.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Nov 2011 20:32:50 GMT
Last edited by the author on 22 Nov 2011 20:41:32 GMT
LEP says:
Actually, I think that I was thinking of Bear Island. You've reminded of HMS Ulysses, which I haven't read. However, I have read Bear Island yonks ago and that was the one in mind. I'll look it up.

Yes, I knew I was right, it's a converted trawler. So, he's actually written 2 maritime books.

Silent Thunder is very good by the Johansens'. About a Russian submarine that a tragedy took place on.

Posted on 22 Nov 2011 21:23:57 GMT
Last edited by the author on 22 Nov 2011 21:24:21 GMT
Roger Weston says:
LEP - How could I forget Bear Island? Another one of my favorites. Now you have me curious about HMS Ulysses. I'm going to have to check it out. Silent Thunder looks very intriguing as well. A marine architect. I like that. Haven't read anything by Iris Johansen. I will put it in my TBR pile. Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Nov 2011 22:11:03 GMT
LEP says:
Iris Johansen is good, she writes thrillers in the main. Her Eve Duncan series is about a forensic sculpter.

Silent Thunder is the first book, I think, that she wrote with her son.

Shadow Zone, which I haven't read yet, looks as though she has used the same main characters as Silent Thunder. I shall order it though, I think.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Nov 2011 22:42:16 GMT
Sou'Wester says:
HMS Ulysses was MacLean's first novel and arguably one of his best; perhaps not a thriller in the sense that one later came to associate with MacLean but it is a cracking story of the war at sea. It also has a feel of authenticity about it because MacLean himself had served in a similar vessel to that described in this book.

Posted on 22 Nov 2011 22:52:11 GMT
Last edited by the author on 22 Nov 2011 23:43:10 GMT
Roger Weston says:
Sou'Wester - Didn't know that. Thank you. Piqued my interest even more. BTW, I like your profile name.

LEP - Sounds like the books written with her son are a departure from her normal fare. Have they just recently partnered on writing? Do you like their books as well as Iris's Eve Duncan series?

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Nov 2011 12:53:31 GMT
LEP says:
Yes, I think Silent Thunder was the first collaboration. I think I may have read one more that they've written together, not sure and I can't remember what it is (so it must have made a good impression, LOL). Silent Thunder was very good in my humble opinion and I would recommend it to you.
I suppose the difference was that it was a bit more 'blokesy', if you get what I mean. By herself she writes romantic thrillers (not necessarily womens books) and has written earlier stuff by the look of it with more emphasis on the romance. I notice that Shadow Zone, their second book hasn't had very good reviews from Amazon readers, perhaps that's because it differs in style from her usual stuff.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Nov 2011 13:13:49 GMT
Last edited by the author on 23 Nov 2011 14:55:52 GMT
LEP says:
Have you read the Hornblower series by C S Forester (it is of course battles rather than a thriller as such) and also The Ship by him?

There's also The Darkening Sea (Mariners Library Fiction) - Richard Woodman
and a series that looks interesting if you like SciFi/Fantasy - Destroyermen series: Into the Storm bk1 - Taylor Anderson.
An elderly destroyer involved in a battle in WW2, takes refuge by heading into a storm, only to find that it has passed through a time glich into an alternate world.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Nov 2011 14:54:07 GMT
LEP says:
Clive Cussler seems to be the main maritime thriller writer.
Have you tried these:
In2Deep - Tony Groom
The Hunt for Red October - Tom Clancy (the film was good)
Ice Hunt - James Rollins
Deep Storm - Lincoln Child

Haven't read any of them myself.

Check out Barnes and Noble search - Maritime Thrillers, lots on there.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the thriller discussion forum (398 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Discussion in:  thriller discussion forum
Participants:  25
Total posts:  77
Initial post:  2 Sep 2011
Latest post:  2 Jul 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions