Customer Discussions > television discussion forum

Should TV studios be forced to complete a series

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 5 Sep 2012 14:35:40 BDT
Shortsy says:
Having purchased numerous TV series only then to be left disappointed by the series being pulled I think if a TV studio releases a TV series on blu ray / dvd and people spend their hard earned cash on it they should be made to complete the show (even 1 more season) instead of just cancelling it

Posted on 5 Sep 2012 15:44:33 BDT
Mr Chris says:
forced by who?

i agree its annoying though :( id happily pay extra for some series that had low sales that i want completed.

Posted on 5 Sep 2012 17:24:24 BDT
Shortsy says:
I dont know who I just think its unfair that they release a series, people buy it then they cancel it. Seems to be happening all the time now

Posted on 6 Sep 2012 12:34:57 BDT
Paul Tapner says:
Shows get cancelled because not enough people watch them. If the audience isnt there then it's just not financially viable to finish it. Nor would it be financially viable to force the studio to make a conclusion. It's business.

Posted on 8 Sep 2012 00:09:48 BDT
Mr Chris says:
in another forum i know certain people who have been stung before wait until all seasons are out, but if too many people do this it makes it even more likely that they wont be released as series 1 sales would be lower.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Sep 2012 03:07:30 BDT
Adding to this point if a studio was forced to complete a show they released on DVD they probably wouldn't release a lot of shows. Or they'd just throw together a final episode or two to tie up loose ends. Which wouldn't be satisfying either.

Besides it isn't generally the producers that cancel a show. It's the network broadcasting it.

Posted on 9 Sep 2012 11:51:51 BDT
I agree that once a network begins producing a show they should "feel" compelled to see it through to the end, unfortunately if a show fails to deliver, they often are justified in canning it.

Last month I was pleased to see that Showtime was giving an abbreviated fourth and final season to their Comedy-Drama The Big C. Although it's not been doing well ratings wise, the channel understands that the people who have invested in the show want to see it through to the end. They've allotted it four more episodes to tie things up, which I think is a fair compromise.

Posted on 9 Sep 2012 21:31:51 BDT
nk99 says:
I think this has actually started to happen a little. Although short-term advertising revenue still tends to be the main concern, my impression is that US networks do lately seem a little more likely to let a show that's already been running for a while (and therefore had a fair bit of money invested in it) have a shortened final season to finish off the story, because they realise that ending on an unresolved note will harm the show's long-term saleability on DVD...etc.

Posted on 5 Nov 2012 14:17:27 GMT
Lysander says:
On german TV they run a lot of US series on the free networks. But you get the impression, that these networks are not interestet in the shows itself at all. And in their audience. They are only interested in selling time for comercial breaks. If they can't do this, they drop the show at once. A few weeks ago they stopped showing "Eureka" five episodes before the series-finale.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the television discussion forum (622 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  7
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  5 Sep 2012
Latest post:  5 Nov 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions