Customer Discussions > television discussion forum

Alas Mel Smith RIP

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 22 Jul 2013 17:04:20 BDT
Huck Flynn says:
Very talented comedy writer and performer. the head to heads between him and griff always had me in stitches. Thanks for the memories Mel.

Posted on 22 Jul 2013 20:49:51 BDT
Last edited by the author on 22 Jul 2013 20:56:47 BDT
Joey says:
Some superbly funny sketches in both 'Not The Nine o'Clock News' & 'Alas Smith And Jones' plus I enjoyed his own series 'Colin's Sandwich' (anyone remember that ?)

Mel & Peter Cook did some hilarious 'Whisper' choc bar commercials in 'conversations' too (sadly now both comic genuis have left us....)

the 'head to head' exchanges between Mel & Griff were priceless

two stand out for me:
1) Mel: 'ya know they reckon everybody knows where they were and what they were doing when President Kennedy was killed...'
Griff: 'Oh...is he dead then ?'

2) Mel: 'Terrible about all this AIDS, of course they blame it all on the monkeys...'
Griff:' yeah ?...but there was only four of them....?' (i.e. The Monkees !)

Griff mostly got the punch lines but Mel was so vital to those 'head to head' sketches working, his face reactions to Griff's comments were superb

the scary thing is you DO get guys like that....!

Posted on 22 Jul 2013 22:41:09 BDT
Don't have much time for TV ads nowadays (mostly too noisy and idiotic for my liking) but does anyone else recall another ad starring Mel & Griff many years ago?... While looking round a museum, Mel was pompously trying to pass off a certain brand of mop & bucket as modern art while Griff argued that his mother owned one of them!... Some ads were actually funny back then!

Posted on 23 Jul 2013 12:54:50 BDT
Mel & Griff on the possible pitfalls of being a millionaire:

Mel - All your leggy models like Jerry Hall and errr...

Griff (interjecting) - Barbara Windsor

Mel - Yeah, Barbara Windsor, yeah yeah... They get one sniff of your filthy lucre and they will suck you dry!

Griff (after longish pause) - What, every night?!

In reply to an earlier post on 20 Aug 2013 23:18:09 BDT
Joe Sherwood says:
Do you know from which series / episode that conversation comes from ? I've been trying to find it on YouTube for ever. Thanks, Joe.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  5
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  22 Jul 2013
Latest post:  20 Aug 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions