Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle  Learn more Countdown to Prime Day Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > television discussion forum

Please recommend a good US Thriller TV series

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 148 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 4 Dec 2009 22:28:34 GMT
My wife and myself love watching US TV series that are full of action, twists, suspense and most importantly a conclusion to the end of the story. There is nothing worse than watching a Tv series that gets cancelled by some immature Tv channel without a decent ending.

We started off watching the well known series like 24, lost, heroes, Band of Brothers and Prison Break which were all excellent. We have also found some lesser classics like Alias, Jericho, Kidnapped, Sleeper Cell, Day Break and Damages which again are all excellent. I have also seen other series like the Sopranos, Battlestar, Deadwood, The Sheild, The Wire and 4400 which my other half did not really enjoy as they were not as action packed and didnt tend to have decent cliffhangers in her mind that made her want to watch the next episode.

Can anyone please help recommend any other Tv series' that might interest both my wife and myself. Any recommendations would be truly appreciated.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Dec 2009 00:20:37 GMT
Anita says:
Perhaps that's a step aside from "action", but I'd really recommend "Murder One". It's a courtroom drama, perhaps not so much "action", but plenty of twists and absolutely interesting... well, depends on taste.

Do you know JAG? I dare not recommend it really, you might consider ir a bit silly, but personally I really love this one (hard to tell why). Anyway, no lack of "action".

Then, Harper's Island, maybe?

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Dec 2009 00:25:45 GMT
M. Finnigan says:
I've seen most of your suggestions and I think they probably cover the main bases. However another series I've enjoyed is Supernatural (v funny in places with a series story arc as well as individual episode plot lines). It's about two brothers who hunt demons. True Blood is a brilliant new HBO series which is really popular at the mo. Although the former is more 'action' than the latter.

I see that you said US tv series, but I also think the British made Spooks, Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes can rival any from across the pond.

I'd say all of these suggestions appeal to men and women equally too.

Posted on 5 Dec 2009 16:22:42 GMT
Thank You Anita - I have been considering Murder One for some time and as you can probably tell I like the shows that have an ongoing story arc. I may well give it a go.

I would also like to thank M Finnigan for your response - I have caught an episode of True Blood and it didnt really appeal as nor did Life on Mars. I have been considering Spooks too but I am told that they tend to be individual episodes rather than an ongoing story. However I will look into Supernatural as I have not considered that before.

Can I thank you both for your comments - and I would like to welcome anyone else to add their views

Posted on 5 Dec 2009 16:37:17 GMT
Anita - I would just like to add I have checked out Harpers Island, which until you mentioned I had never heard of, and the reviews sound excellent. I have just preordered my copy , just a shame it wont be until February. Thanks a lot for the recommendation it sounds really good

Posted on 5 Dec 2009 17:10:50 GMT
Cremola Foam says:
Its not a thriller series as such but it has its moments...how about Carnivale? A bit weird, very engrossing, trouble is once you've watched it nothing else compares. It has an ending, at the ned of series two - but it should have had a lot more series!Carnivale: Complete HBO Season 1 [2003] [DVD]

Posted on 5 Dec 2009 20:12:25 GMT
ken says:
THE FUGITIVE 1960's American TV series starring David Janssen. Went on for ages but he finally got Johnson the killer with one arm .
They should release the whole series.

Posted on 6 Dec 2009 07:56:49 GMT
JoeBlack says:
I would recommend Dexter - the best series I have seen come from the States since The West Wing ended. I would also recommend The West Wing, not a thriller series but absolutely compulsive viewing, especially the first 3 series.

Posted on 6 Dec 2009 13:03:57 GMT
I went back to Murder One quite recently. Remembered it as being groundbreaking but found it more than a little dated now.

In reply to an earlier post on 6 Dec 2009 16:46:38 GMT
Mrs. C says:
Have you considered Law and Order. It's my personal favourite, not exactly what you would call action packed, but it always reaches a conclusion.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Dec 2009 00:36:29 GMT
Karol Tulp says:
It is very interesting to read these comments,as I usually only watch British mystery series,and since I can play P.A.L.I can order a lot from the U.K.I have the whole series of "Trial and Retribution" and love " Midsomer Mysterys",and "Taggart".From the U.S.you might try "Criminal Minds",any of the "C.S.I."series "Law and Order Criminal Intent".All of the "Law and Orders" are good,and "N.C.I.S."I believe I saw "Murder One" some years ago and it was very good.

Posted on 7 Dec 2009 10:40:23 GMT
B. Wahl says:
You maybe want to give a chance to Babylon 5. Although very dated now a days, it was was very well done and if I think of a Series with conclusiont io the storie and a very well worked story arch, I think of Babylon 5. there was also action in it, and very well formed charactes. Give it a try till the second season, as the first season is mainly introducing the characters. If you watchesa ll seasons you might want to start again to look for all the hints you missed ;)

Posted on 7 Dec 2009 12:06:22 GMT
Mr C Murphy says:
SONS OF ANARCHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WATCH IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Dec 2009 13:04:06 GMT
C. Pusey says:
I definitely recommend Supernatural - the best programme on TV!

Posted on 7 Dec 2009 18:12:58 GMT
J Joseph says:
If Lost is on your already watched list then maybe you will enjoy "Fringe".

It's about an FBI team based in Boston that investigates strange and often unexplained events that are happening all over the world. There's plenty of action, twists and suspense to keep you watching.

Posted on 8 Dec 2009 19:55:47 GMT
Can I thank you all for your comments so far. There are some excellent suggestions which i have researched. How ever can I just say I am more interested in a series that has a story arch rather than a series that has just individual episode stories.

Thank you all again for your suggestions - they are all valued. Please keep them coming.

Thank You

Posted on 9 Dec 2009 01:36:52 GMT
Karen Jones says:
Tru Calling was fab, shame it got cancelled! Doll house is also great, exciting and leaves you wanting more! Each episode has it's own story but the continuing story is great. Just bought both these for my daughter and we are eagerly awaiting doll house continuing after christmas!

Posted on 9 Dec 2009 11:10:08 GMT
What about Flash Forward by the makers of Lost, excellent so far !

Posted on 11 Dec 2009 13:33:45 GMT
I would just like to say I have just finished watching Daybreak starring Taye Diggs and it was fantastic. It was a series that i had never heard of and is only available on region 1. But if you have a multi regional player it is worth looking at. Its a cross between Groundhog day and 24, which sounds an odd mix, but I can safely say it was excellent.

Posted on 11 Dec 2009 13:54:21 GMT
Last edited by the author on 11 Dec 2009 13:58:02 GMT
Another vote for Sons of Anarchy. Takes a few episodes to get going but then ...

Plus:
White Collar (hated it myself but can't deal with Flashforward/Prision Break - so think it might be your wife's cup of tea)
Burn Notice (ditto above)
Dexter (bit hit and miss but definitely enjoyable).

Now for stuff of Sons of Anarchy quality:
Breaking Bad (Cracking, can't recommend it enough)
Weeds (more comedy but first few series are gold)
Big Love (less action but great drama)
Oz (plenty of action here!)
Mad Men (drama, again)
Life on the Streets (precursor to the Wire of sorts, older but first 3 or =4 seasons are cracking

Shift tact with a bit of feelgood Glee? You can't beat it!

Posted on 11 Dec 2009 14:09:17 GMT
page394 says:
I just loved "Life" with Damian Lewis!

Posted on 11 Dec 2009 14:19:15 GMT
Last edited by the author on 11 Dec 2009 14:20:37 GMT
Eliza Dushku (Buffy's Faith) stars in 2 great, but highly under-rated shows 'Tru Calling' & 'Dollhouse,' both of which have now sadly bit the dust. However I must concur with Jacqueline Joseph above. 'Fringe' is undoubtedly the best of what's on offer. I bought the 1st series on a whim about 3 weeks ago & was stunned by it. Barring a couple of duff episodes towards the end, the series then culminated with one of the best cliffhangers I've ever witnessed. The lead character is female. A very attractive, well portrayed one in Anna Torv I might add, who's surrounded by believable & interesting characters. In particular that of the eccentric Dr Bishop, played by John Noble who's performance is truly exemplary. Roll on season 2. 'Chuck' is another programme I can highly recommend. Being English I still say 'British is Best!' Why not pick up the complete 'Inspector Morse?' 'Doctor Who' rarely puts a foot wrong for me, either.

Posted on 11 Dec 2009 14:31:33 GMT
Mabel says:
I too would recommend Fringe. I'm not much of a telly person really but this series certainly had me pressing the Sky+ record button. Whilst every week concentrates on a new case - and with it a new area of 'Fringe science' - there is also a main story which ties in with each individual case and develops every week.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Dec 2009 16:18:43 GMT
UKRosie says:
Flash forward, Mad Men and Dexter are excellent. If you want a good drama Brothers and Sisters and the Riches are brilliant.

Posted on 15 Dec 2009 16:45:47 GMT
Alien Girl says:
Fringe is absolutely worth the effort and Supernatural is my favourite TV programme (which, bearing in mind how much TV I watch, is quite a feat!). NCIS has the action, the character interplay and, whilst it doesn't necessarily have a story arc, does have very good background stories, which come into play every now and then (as does Criminal Minds). I'm guessing you want something in which you can really get involved and these two/three would come high on my list, as would Sons of Anarchy (I was actually surprised how good SoA was!) and I don't know if anyone else has seen internet/TV crossover Sanctuary, but I love that too, despite the ever so slightly dodgy SFX!!!!
Anyhoo, there's some good stuff out there and, you know what, it does come from the US!!!!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the television discussion forum (643 discussions)

More Customer Discussions

Most active community forums
Most active product forums

Amazon forums

This discussion

Participants:  113
Total posts:  148
Initial post:  4 Dec 2009
Latest post:  21 Jul 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers

Search Customer Discussions